Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,353 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama (701 Views)

President Obama’s Daughter Sasha Shares Cute Pics On Instagram (photos) / President OBAMA In His CAR With A Bull Dog (photo) / Osama Bin Laden's Death Does Not Swing American Voters To President Barack Obama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama by infonubia(m): 3:32am On Oct 12, 2013
Dear President Obama,

I hope that you are doing well Sir. You campaigned and fought hard for the highest honor and hardest job in the world - The President of THE United States of America. Your incredible position of power calls for a super-human prowess in terms of managing people, issues and crises, because you are managing 300 million people and to some extent, the entire 7 billion people in the world.

This great nation is currently facing domestic problems of great magnitude, and no matter what happens, the buck stops on your desk Sir. The American people do not want to hear excuses, apologies or play judge and referee in the blame game between Democrats and Republicans. You are our leader and as such, the successes of this country - along with its failures - are yours.

You are in charge and we look to you to lead with an ability that only someone who was proven enough to become the president can. The current gridlock is your load to bear and fault to own because as our leader it is your responsibility - to find a way to make things happen where there seems none and to do whatever is necessary to move the country forward.

One of the main platforms upon which you campaigned was bringing an end to the bitter divide in D.C. Unfortunately, it seems more divided under your watch than ever, and surely you must assume a lot of blame for that.

There is no doubt a certain minority guided only by partisanship prove strong and unrelenting in their self-serving bid to 'win' - and we the people are aware of and sympathetic to that.

These sectarian enthusiasts, fervent in their biased opposition, have always existed in every political system. However Sir, we will still not accept any excuses as reason enough for a government-wide financial and moral default - especially when many of our fellow citizens rely on government-related industries for their livelihoods. You can do better Sir.

There is a vacuum of leadership that only the President can fill. You can employ the use of olive branches in private, rather than vocal whips in public which only serve to alienate those who are not necessarily of the same political persuasion. We understand navigating the minefield that is Congress is difficult, and you frequently need to take a firm stance to assert the authority of your office.

However, you ran for this difficult job and you have to be immune to certain weaknesses the rest of us have. And while we appreciate that there is much being exchanged behind the scenes that the public at large is not privy to, we see the open dysfunction and cannot help but be disappointed.

Compromise has earned such a bad reputation these days, when in reality the humble ability to change ones mind after considering new and changing evidence is a strong pillar of progressivism. Compromising is not a sign of weakness, but rather strength of character. It shows your opponent you value them, though you may not necessarily agree with their beliefs.

Compromise concedes the fact that no one person or ideological camp 'knows it all' and holds a monopoly on what is best for the country. Compromise and an equal balance of both conservative and liberal ideas is the hallmark of advanced societies all through the history of the world.

All in all, we will support your leadership as long as you are the president of this great nation. And in the most constitutional way of displaying this support, we will demand better leadership from you and other elected officials. We will not settle for bickering and finger-pointing.

We will not accept more cans to be kicked down the road and we will not be satisfied with band-aid fixes over bone-deep wounds. Excellence is the American Way, and excellence is what we expect. We simply ask you and Congress to lead, and to lead with a fervor and passion worthy of the distinguished offices that you hold.

Thank you Mr. President.

Source
Re: A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama by HezronLorraine(m): 5:51am On Oct 12, 2013
@Infonubia.Your source says an iNubia(your blog visitor) sent this and you published it.From ur source I don't see where it was otherwise stated,the person is a nairaland member.
From your title and what is available in your post,are you now posing as the creator of the letter.

@[b]Post.We all know it has always been about the gangs(democrats&republicans) in the congress.It has been age-long that they've always stood at opposing blocs.Obama in the picture now doesn't change this.He may have made promises to change this,but there are some militating principles that attack his good intention.
[img]http://2.bp..com/-QHzuqScVq5E/Uliw6k_KEbI/AAAAAAAACRk/wLfO9Sbp_Dw/s640/president+obama.jpg[/img]
You asking the President of the United States of America to make a compromise is a big risk.Obama making a compromise in favour of the republicans undermines his capacity as a leader and at the same time promotes his vision to change the divides in Washington.A compromise taken today to save the american economy by the president would wither bring the thousands of americans who have been challenged in this shutdown out of their pains or further add to their future sufferings.

We can't ask the president to make compromises,rather we can advise him to take a stand at reaching a settlement plan with opponents of his own principles.He alone can end the divide and turn around the politics associated with citizens welfare,health care and insurance.

As citizens of the great nation,what steps have we taking against the childplays of the congress,isn't it time to seek an end to the hide and seek of democrats and republicans,isn't it time to find a possible way out of this spending mess.How do we hold the government to their words.Isn't it time to tell those in DC,our welfare comes first not your conflicts of interest all the time.

The citizens also have failed cause an average american sits behing his screens at times like this till the issue hits him hardest and he can barely survive again before taking a stand against the govt.if we have a united america of all class,rich,poor,black,white,mixed,noble,gay,straight,religious,powerful coming together to demand they be treated better,america would have a change.But some people are not affected by this shut down,so they care less while some are ripping off it.

To avert another re-occurrence,the people and government have a role to play.

My 2cents.
Hezron Lorraine[/b]
Re: A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama by infonubia(m): 1:55pm On Oct 12, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: @Infonubia.Your source says an iNubia(your blog visitor) sent this and you published it.From ur source I don't see where it was otherwise stated,the person is a nairaland member.
From your title and what is available in your post,are you now posing as the creator of the letter.
Hezron, thanks for pointing that out. I left out the intro because of the reference to InfoNubia and I don't want to come across as trying to lure people into checking out the blog. That's why I cut out the intro. My reasoning could be flawed though. I apologize for that. As per the reference to Nairaland, the person is actually a Nairalander.

We all know it has always been about the gangs(democrats&republicans) in the congress.It has been age-long that they've always stood at opposing blocs.Obama in the picture now doesn't change this.He may have made promises to change this,but there are some militating principles that attack his good intention.

Obama used to be a congress man before he became president. If you ask me, I'd say he used to be a part of the age-long partisan bickering and he was fully aware of the modus operandi in Washington before making those promises. He shouldn't be absorbed of any blame since previous presidents found a way to move their agenda forward in the face of opposition.

We can't ask the president to make compromises,rather we can advise him to take a stand at reaching a settlement plan with opponents of his own principles.

What is a settlement plan? How can a settlement be reached between two opposing parties without either party giving up on some of their demands? What you just described here sounds like compromise. Politics is and should be about compromise. The political system is built such that no one party has the monopoly of power. Any politician who understands that he is not going to have his way all the time must be ready to dialogue. This applies to both parties.

The citizens also have failed cause an average american sits behind his screens at times like this till the issue hits him hardest and he can barely survive again before taking a stand against the govt.if we have a united america of all class,rich,poor,black,white,mixed,noble,gay,straight,religious,powerful coming together to demand they be treated better,america would have a change.But some people are not affected by this shut down,so they care less while some are ripping off it.

Spot on! This isn't just an American problem, it's a human problem. It's like the Newton's first law of motion - A body in a state of rest will continue in that state until an external force is applied. When we in our comfort zone, we tend not to care about what others feel until out comfort is disrupted.

Thanks for your 2cents, it is greatly appreciated.
Re: A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama by texanomaly(f): 2:30pm On Oct 12, 2013
infonubia:
Hezron, thanks for pointing that out. I left out the intro because of the reference to InfoNubia and I don't want to come across as trying to lure people into checking out the blog. That's why I cut out the intro. My reasoning could be flawed though. I apologize for that. As per the reference to Nairaland, the person is actually a Nairalander.

Obama used to be a congress man before he became president. If you ask me, I'd say he used to be a part of the age-long partisan bickering and he was fully aware of the modus operandi in Washington before making those promises. He shouldn't be absorbed of any blame since previous presidents found a way to move their agenda forward in the face of opposition.

What is a settlement plan? How can a settlement be reached between two opposing parties without either party giving up on some of their demands? What you just described here sounds like compromise. Politics is and should be about compromise. The political system is built such that no one party has the monopoly of power. Any politician who understands that he is not going to have his way all the time must be ready to dialogue. This applies to both parties.

Spot on! This isn't just an American problem, it's a human problem. It's like the Newton's first law of motion - A body in a state of rest will continue in that state until an external force is applied. When we in our comfort zone, we tend not to care about what others feel until out comfort is disrupted.

Wow!

What a diplomat!
Re: A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama by HezronLorraine(m): 2:43pm On Oct 12, 2013
infonubia:
understood,no qualms.

True,Obama is very much aware of the shenaningans of the congress as he also had a slice of it when serving in the parliament.

Agreed.What is the next step when dialogue fails,does Obama now become the Man with the Iron Fist while Boehner become the Congress god.

True to say one must bow out,true to say another must make compromises,but there are ways of making compromises without loosing the basic interest of your own ideas,therefore a settlement plan can still be reached between both parties,they can still come to an agreement even if it means favouring one side above the other or one party chooses to let the other have monopolistic rights over the congress.

We are on the same page here.

You're welcome.Thanks also your input was also revealing.
Re: A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama by texanomaly(f): 3:00pm On Oct 12, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: understood,no qualms.

True,Obama is very much aware of the shenaningans of the congress as he also had a slice of it when serving in the parliament.

Agreed.What is the next step when dialogue fails,does Obama now become the Man with the Iron Fist while Boehner become the Congress god.

True to say one must bow out,true to say another must make compromises,but there are ways of making compromises without loosing the basic interest of your own ideas,therefore a settlement plan can still be reached between both parties,they can still come to an agreement even if it means favouring one side above the other or one party chooses to let the other have monopolistic rights over the congress.

And yet another diplomat emerges.

Hello HL...How are you this fine day? smiley
Re: A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama by HezronLorraine(m): 3:07pm On Oct 12, 2013
texanomaly:

And yet another diplomat emerges.

Hello HL...How are you this fine day? smiley
Am good Tex and urs.
Re: A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama by texanomaly(f): 3:11pm On Oct 12, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: Am good Tex and urs.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. grin
Re: A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama by infonubia(m): 3:12pm On Oct 12, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: understood,no qualms.

I'm glad we could have a civil dialogue. Your points are well noted.
Re: A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama by infonubia(m): 3:13pm On Oct 12, 2013
texanomaly:

Wow!

What a diplomat!
Thanks Texanomaly. Hope you are good
Re: A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama by texanomaly(f): 3:18pm On Oct 12, 2013
infonubia:
Thanks Texanomaly. Hope you are good

Couldn't be better at this point. How are you?
Re: A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama by HezronLorraine(m): 6:11pm On Oct 12, 2013
texanomaly:

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. grin
awesome,same here.sunny tnz.
Re: A Nairalander's Open Letter To President Obama by HezronLorraine(m): 6:12pm On Oct 12, 2013
infonubia:

I'm glad we could have a civil dialogue. Your points are well noted.
wow,of course,it pays to be civil.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Mandela's Memorial Service In Pictures / ISIS May Not Have Beheaded James Foley Oncamera, Despite What Video Shows: / ... And Zambia Gets A White President.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.