Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,825 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

What It Means To Be A Broadcaster - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What It Means To Be A Broadcaster (746 Views)

What It Actually Means To Be An Entrepreneur And Its Relationship With Entrepren / More Nigerians Are Turning To Event Dancing As A Means Of Survival / Alternative Means To Be Worthy With Clickbank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What It Means To Be A Broadcaster by lipuka(m): 10:54am On Jul 03, 2008
Broadcasting was not my first choice. In fact I wanted to become a lawyer, but fate would not have it. So I ended up in broadcasting.

As fate would have it. I had an uncle who was a broadcaster, and the primary school I attended had producer two other broadcasters. My village was, and still is, well-known for producing musicians. My father was one, and had taught me how to play the guitar and accordion at an early age.

In High school, together with other students, we formed a band that would entertain other students during the weekends. And we would ask for lifts, as we called them, during holidays at weddings, and we would strut our stuff.

But back to broadcasting. As I said earlier, I joined the profession by accident, and I was just a small thing, the youngest. And the job got into my head!

I looked more like a school boy, so I was popular with the girls. That I was from the Coast in Nairobi was an added boost. The girls just loved coastal boys. And I was on Radio as a DJ.

I had the latest music - which I was given free by music recording houses. I was invited, and attended, all sorts of parties and musical activities. And I was always in the company of the most beautiful girls; some older than me! Sometimes I went around with more than one, and they would always end up at my place. Then I took up to drink. After all I was getting the drinks for free. And was always getting involved in fights. But I knew a bit of boxing and had taken karate, so I didn't lose many fights

And you know what? I got my first dose of gonorrhea from a 16 year old high school girl.

It wasn't pleasant.

Somewhere along the way, I grew up. I wondered what the fuss was all about. It occurred to me that this was not the kind of life I needed. I was just wasting my life on many unimportant matters. And relying on freebies was turning me into a completely useless person. I was spending more than I had. I was always broke, believing that I would get more anyway. So I stopped being a DJ and took up production in Radio.

I cannot say that being a Radio DJ was bad. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. And I would recommend it for anyone interested. But it is the temptations that I am against. I don't drink or smoke. And I am fully in sports now so I have very little time for wasting my time.

I have been teaching students in many institutions, and I usually warn them against these vices. And I can tell you that some of my former students are in many broadcasting houses within East Africa, including 3 in BBC. Broadcasting is a full time job with no official working hours. You must love it. Don't get into it because you will be famous. Many will hate you, just as many will like you. Being in the limelight is not that good either. You will have no secrets. Everything you do is public. Your private life is also public.

Of course, you will have opportunities to travel, and meet many important people. But this is not the main thing. Just take it as any other job, and do it well. The rewards and satisfaction will be great.
Re: What It Means To Be A Broadcaster by Sisikill: 11:34am On Jul 03, 2008
Okay. . . thanks. I guess
Re: What It Means To Be A Broadcaster by kaypound(m): 11:59am On Jul 03, 2008
thanks for the epistle
Re: What It Means To Be A Broadcaster by kaypound(m): 12:09pm On Jul 03, 2008
seun pls is it that there are no longer intelligent topics to contribute to that we now have to receive lectures on broadcasting? pls this topic should be in the job section of nairaland.

(1) (Reply)

1st Entourage Company In Nigeria / We Have The Tools / Oil Services Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.