Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

Why Should Grave Always Be Six Feet? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Should Grave Always Be Six Feet? (993 Views)

Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US / Cleric, Undertaker Fall Into Grave During Funeral / Pic.in Indonesia The Dead Walk By Itself To Its Grave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Should Grave Always Be Six Feet? by wehla(m): 11:24pm On Oct 13, 2013
Is the six feet measurement of grave universal? I hear people of different culture talk and agree on d same grave size measurement of six feet when they want to bury their dead. How does the measurement come about and why? Contribution with evidence is welcome from everybody.
Re: Why Should Grave Always Be Six Feet? by Ajuran: 6:34am On Oct 14, 2013
wehla: Is the six feet measurement of grave universal? I hear people of different culture talk and agree on d same grave size measurement of six feet when they want to bury their dead. How does the measurement come about and why? Contribution with evidence is welcome from everybody.

Since you have no access to the internet in order to google search your own question. I have done it for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It all started with the plague: The origins of “six feet under” come from a 1665 outbreak in England. As the disease swept the country, the mayor of London literally laid down the law about how to deal with the bodies to avoid further infections. Among his specifications—made in “Orders Conceived and Published by the Lord Major and Aldermen of the City of London, Concerning the Infection of the Plague”—was that “all the graves shall be at least six feet deep.”

The law eventually fell out of favor both in England and its colonies. Modern American burial laws vary from state to state, though many states simply require a minimum of 18 inches of soil on top of the casket or burial vault (or two feet of soil if the body is not enclosed in anything). Given an 18-inch dirt buffer and the height of the average casket (which, based on the ones I just looked at, appears to be approximately 30 inches), a grave as shallow as four feet would be fine.

A typical modern burial involves a body pumped full of chemical preservatives sealed inside a sturdy metal casket, which is itself sealed inside a steel or cement burial vault. It’s less of a hospitable environment for microbes than the grave used to be. For untypical burials, though—where the body isn’t embalmed, a vault isn’t used, or the casket is wood instead of metal or is foregone entirely—even these less strict burial standards provide a measure of safety and comfort. Without any protection, and subjected to a few years of soil erosion, the bones of the dearly departed could inconveniently and unexpectedly surface or get too close to the living, scaring people and acting as disease vectors. The minimum depth helps keep the dead down where they belong.

November 29, 2012 - 4:30am

Read the full text here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/31633/how-did-6-feet-become-standard-grave-depth#ixzz2hfhKbq6C
--brought to you by mental_floss!
Re: Why Should Grave Always Be Six Feet? by wehla(m): 8:06am On Oct 14, 2013
I've google it already, but just want general enlightenment. Thanks though
Re: Why Should Grave Always Be Six Feet? by Ajuran: 8:25am On Oct 14, 2013
wehla: I've google it already, but just want general enlightenment. Thanks though

you want an arguement, over what is factual?

(1) (Reply)

Ile-ife: The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief / The Beauty Of Wigs / Where Can I Get A Cross River Traditional Outfit Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.