Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,197 members, 7,818,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles (31064 Views)

Photos Of Specially Made Armored Patrol Vehicles Proudly Crafted In Nigeria / How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? / Post Pictures Of Your Vehicles Mpg(miles Per Gallon) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by nissparts(m): 12:18am On Oct 17, 2013
Okay I had a friend approach me with his 1999 QX4 which he had been having issues with oil leakage at the seals.
The seals had been changed thrice by his area mechanic and engine oil still leaked at an alarming rate.
After we fixed the leak, we got talking about his service history for the vehicle and it suddenly occured to me to ask how many litres of oil he had been using for every oil change; to my surprise, the answer was 6 litres.
This meant that a vehicle which requires 3.6 litres of oil had been constantly overfilled with an extra 2.4 litres at every oil change and this had gone on for several years. Can you imagine the strain on the engine and its internals?

Coincidentally, I had corrected a member here recently on a similar error he had been making with engine oil change for his vehicle and I thought to put up some oil capacity numbers for some popular vehicles just in case there is someone out there using his own hands to kill his/her vehicles.

First important point to note, the fact an engine is huge does not necessarily imply it requires a lot of oil

1997- 2004 Nissan Pathfinder/Xterra/Infiniti QX4 = 3.6 - 3.9 Litres
2005-2012 Nissan Pathfinder/Xterra V6- 5.1 Litres
2003-2007 murano = 4 litres
Armada/Titan = 6 litres
2000-2004 Nissan quest = 3.7 Litres
2003 Camry = 3.5 Litres
2010 Camry XLE V6 = 6 Litres
2007 Rav 4 sport = 6 Litres
2005 Sienna = 4.5 Litres
2003 Lexus RX300 = 4.5 Litres
2004 Lexus GX470 = 6 Litres
2005 Infiniti FX35= 4.5 Litres
2005 Infiniti FX45 = 6.5 Litres
VW Passat 1.8t
1998-99 = 3.5 Litres
2000-02 = 3.7 Litres
2005 Honda Accord I4 = 4.5 Litres
2004 BMW 330i = 6.5 Litres
Mazda 6 V6 = 5.5 Litres

Summary, check your manuals, investigate on the internet, and pay attention when your oil is changed.

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by Marpol: 9:16am On Oct 17, 2013
What of 2003 Honda Accord V6?
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by nissparts(m): 9:27am On Oct 17, 2013
Almost 5 litres.
Very little difference between the I4 and V6 oil capacity for the EOD
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 17, 2013
What is the use of the dip stick? Ain't to gauge if the oil is enough or short?
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by nissparts(m): 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2013
If the disptick were sufficient for everyone you would not see the possibility of an engine being over-filled with oil, ever.
You would also not see countless links on the internetz with people asking how much oil they need to put into their cars.
That being said, it is not also impossible for 2 VW Passats of the same model years for example to have 2 different lengths of dipsticks.
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by erico2k2(m): 4:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
Im sure I replief to this,was my post deletef?
The most accurate way to do the mesurement of the quantity of oil needed for ones car is via ur deep stick,the ammount on the user manual is overal capacity,so wen feeding oil to ur car after draining,use the dip stick to gauge it.Here in the Uk one of the first question the examiner ask U is how do U check your engin oil level.if ur answer is Check user manual Op its a fail.
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by erico2k2(m): 4:46pm On Oct 17, 2013
nissparts: If the disptick were sufficient for everyone you would not see the possibility of an engine being over-filled with oil, ever.
You would also not see countless links on the internetz with people asking how much oil they need to put into their cars.
That being said, it is not also impossible for 2 VW Passats of the same model years for example to have 2 different lengths of dipsticks.
This overfill issue happens to ignorant people or during top ups.
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by nissparts(m): 5:15pm On Oct 17, 2013
Yes but like I always do, you are also assuming everyone is car savvy or has the basic wherewithal to do simple stuff car wise.
If you tell a regular joe to focus on his dipstick in order to gauge exactly how much oil his engine needs, you will fail to take into account that in some cases, the user will need to wait for some time to let the oil settle and get an accurate reading on the stick. Once this is messed up, it's downhill from there.

Even worse still is the fact that my friend for example was not changing the oil himself o...his "trained" mechanic did the oil changes for several years and still managed to overfill by 2 litres.

So, the very first idea the user needs is what the oil capacity SHOULD be and work along those lines.
If you know from the beginning your vehicle's oil capacity is 3.5 litres, you would not buy 4 litres and 2 extra 1 litre bottles on your way to the mech to change your oil thereby encouraging Kasumu to apply logic that it must mean your vehicle needs 6 litres and you can also be sure Kasumu does not believe in dipsticks. "Ki lo n je be? Abeggi na decoration jare"

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by vitality22(m): 5:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
Thanks a million @nissparts for this information. God will bless you for the info.
Please, how I wish you will also do same for ATF oil also.
Do help us do just same for ATF oil.
Thanks again

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by vitality22(m): 5:42pm On Oct 17, 2013
@nissparts, thanks a million. Please could you help us do same for ATF oil?
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by erico2k2(m): 10:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
nissparts: Yes but like I always do, you are also assuming everyone is car savvy or has the basic wherewithal to do simple stuff car wise.
If you tell a regular joe to focus on his dipstick in order to gauge exactly how much oil his engine needs, you will fail to take into account that in some cases, the user will need to wait for some time to let the oil settle and get an accurate reading on the stick. Once this is messed up, it's downhill from there.

Even worse still is the fact that my friend for example was not changing the oil himself o...his "trained" mechanic did the oil changes for several years and still managed to overfill by 2 litres.

So, the very first idea the user needs is what the oil capacity SHOULD be and work along those lines.
If you know from the beginning your vehicle's oil capacity is 3.5 litres, you would not buy 4 litres and 2 extra 1 litre bottles on your way to the mech to change your oil thereby encouraging Kasumu to apply logic that it must mean your vehicle needs 6 litres and you can also be sure Kasumu does not believe in dipsticks. "Ki lo n je be? Abeggi na decoration jare"
you still dont get it, you are exhibiting the typical atitudes we Nigerians give to cars,dont forget we never made them cars, so we should stick or at least try and do things the way the people who manufactured these cars wants us to do in terms of maintanance.The best time to gauge your car is in the morning before you crank your Engine, that way all the Engin Oil would be at teh Sump, you bring your dip stick out, whip it and deep it back, bring it out again and as far as the range is anywhere between the minimum and maximum of the dip stick you are good to go,
Let me tell you something bout buying Oil, now what would you say bout the person who owns more than one car?.I will re state this to you again if you give that answer on you test day to your examinar its a FAIL.
I was only trying to say the right way to do it,Pour the Oil in and use the dip stick to mesure, if you get exess there is a drain pipe for it, thats best practice
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by erico2k2(m): 10:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
vitality22: @nissparts, thanks a million. Please could you help us do same for ATF oil?
Brov ur atf has same messurement as ur dip stick, open it and pull the dip out, clean it and put it back, pull it again and see if the oil is registered between the minimum and maximum distance of the dip, if its above max then its too much, if its below the minimum you are i n trouble.
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:52pm On Oct 17, 2013
nissparts: Almost 5 litres.
Very little difference between the I4 and V6 oil capacity for the EOD

i beg to differ

engine oil capacity always differ based on engine size
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by nissparts(m): 10:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
Erico, I doubt strongly that you read my response before responding
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by nissparts(m): 10:55pm On Oct 17, 2013
Zim, as you can see, my post was referring specifically to the EOD.
You are free to look up the specs
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by roosebolton: 5:24am On Oct 18, 2013
I think people need to download their car manuals as it is rich in every information you need to know about your car including the specifications.. Just would add that
Mazda 3 engine oil capacity is 4.3L (with filter change)
3.9L with non filter change.
ATF for same is 6.5L

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by Ikenna351(m): 9:47am On Oct 18, 2013
Yes, not knowing your manufacturer's engine oil capacity is kind of dumb, but I don't rely on it while changing my engine oil.

My ZN3J which is 2.8 L/cc takes 6 litres of oil to get to maximum mark, according to the owners manual and workshop manual. But I don't just pour in 6 litres of oil while changing the oil and oil filter, because I don't fill up to the maximum mark. First, I would pour in 5 litres straight. I would wait for like 3 minutes for the oil to settle in the oil pan. Then, I would pull out the dipstick and check. Whatever I see on the dipstick would determine the next quantity of oil to pour in. Gradually, I would be topping, waiting, checking and topping till it get to a level on the dipstick I want to, usually between the minimum and maximum, but closer to the maximum level mark on the dipstick (but would top up if everything checks out ok after few days). Why? Because the first few days of oil change, I would like to know if the oil level would increase from where I left it on the dipstick. It helps me to know the state of my injection system; to know if the injection system is overfueling the engine, which will wash down the cylinders, dilute the oil and increase the level. Leaving the oil level at maximum mark on the dipstick will then cause excess oil in the engine or over gauge which will introduce its own problems to the engine. Its a mechanical method of knowing the state of my injection system, scan or no scan, symptoms or no symptoms.

If for some weird reasons one fails to look up for his engine's oil capacity, dipstick is enough to know. All I need to do is buy about 6 litres of oil. Remove the old oil and oil filter and then get to work. First, I will pour in about 3 litres, out of the 6 litres of oil purchased for the oil change. Wait for 3 minutes or so for the oil to settle in the oil pan and then check the dipstick. The dipstick will now help me gradually pour in the oil till it gets to the maximum mark or level on the dipstick that is ok. Whatever amount of oil remaining is enough to tell me how many litres of oil my engine takes to get to normal level on the dipstick. That remaining oil is not a waste, because there will be another oil change, thereby determining the litres of oil to buy to complete the amount of oil the engine needs.

There is nothing wrong in figuring out other ways of carrying checks or repairs other than how the car manufacturers asked us to do in their books. It's called "being practical". That's the message Nissparts was trying to pass across, I believe.

Ikenna.
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by nissparts(m): 9:56am On Oct 18, 2013
Affirmative!
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by erico2k2(m): 1:11am On Oct 22, 2013
nissparts: Erico, I doubt strongly that you read my response before responding
what part are we talking about here ?
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by erico2k2(m): 1:14am On Oct 22, 2013
Ikenna351: Yes, not knowing your manufacturer's engine oil capacity is kind of dumb, but I don't rely on it while changing my engine oil.

My ZN3J which is 2.8 L/cc takes 6 litres of oil to get to maximum mark, according to the owners manual and workshop manual. But I don't just pour in 6 litres of oil while changing the oil and oil filter, because I don't fill up to the maximum mark. First, I would pour in 5 litres straight. I would wait for like 3 minutes for the oil to settle in the oil pan. Then, I would pull out the dipstick and check. Whatever I see on the dipstick would determine the next quantity of oil to pour in. Gradually, I would be topping, waiting, checking and topping till it get to a level on the dipstick I want to, usually between the minimum and maximum, but closer to the maximum level mark on the dipstick (but would top up if everything checks out ok after few days). Why? Because the first few days of oil change, I would like to know if the oil level would increase from where I left it on the dipstick. It helps me to know the state of my injection system; to know if the injection system is overfueling the engine, which will wash down the cylinders, dilute the oil and increase the level. Leaving the oil level at maximum mark on the dipstick will then cause excess oil in the engine or over gauge which will introduce its own problems to the engine. Its a mechanical method of knowing the state of my injection system, scan or no scan, symptoms or no symptoms.

If for some weird reasons one fails to look up for his engine's oil capacity, dipstick is enough to know. All I need to do is buy about 6 litres of oil. Remove the old oil and oil filter and then get to work. First, I will pour in about 3 litres, out of the 6 litres of oil purchased for the oil change. Wait for 3 minutes or so for the oil to settle in the oil pan and then check the dipstick. The dipstick will now help me gradually pour in the oil till it gets to the maximum mark or level on the dipstick that is ok. Whatever amount of oil remaining is enough to tell me how many litres of oil my engine takes to get to normal level on the dipstick. That remaining oil is not a waste, because there will be another oil change, thereby determining the litres of oil to buy to complete the amount of oil the engine needs.

There is nothing wrong in figuring out other ways of carrying checks or repairs other than how the car manufacturers asked us to do in their books. It's called "being practical". That's the message Nissparts was trying to pass across, I believe.

Ikenna.
Well I know, but my point was the best way of knowing what ammount of Oil your car needs, Im trying to let him know that standard Oil cans come in 5ltrs,in order words if your car needs 6 ltrs you got to buy two cans and mesure the ammount that goes in just like you stated ie using the dip stick as a guide, now would that not be standard practice?
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by Nobody: 2:07am On Oct 22, 2013
My car's oil capacities are as follows:

Audi A8 Quattro 4.2 V8 2xDOHC 40V - 7,5 litres.
Audi A4 Quattro 4.2 V8 2xDOHC 32V - 7,3 litres.
Audi Cabriolet 2.6 V6 2xSOHC 12V - 5.0 litres.
BMW 120D M-Sport 2.0 I4 DOHC 16V - 5.3 litres.

These include oil filter replacements.
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:29am On Oct 22, 2013
nissparts: Zim, as you can see, my post was referring specifically to the EOD.
You are free to look up the specs

it was for this statement

First important point to note, the fact an engine is huge does not necessarily imply it requires a lot of oil
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:26pm On Oct 22, 2013
erico2k2: Im sure I replief to this,was my post deletef?
The most accurate way to do the mesurement of the quantity of oil needed for ones car is via ur deep stick,the ammount on the user manual is overal capacity,so wen feeding oil to ur car after draining,use the dip stick to gauge it.Here in the Uk one of the first question the examiner ask U is how do U check your engin oil level.if ur answer is Check user manual Op its a fail.

you are missing the point

knowing the your engine oil capacity makes easy when buying the oil when doing service you get to know the actual litres you want than wasting time up and down when you buy less or extra when you return

the thread was about the engine oil capacity than check the level of oil which already in the engine
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by nissparts(m): 2:00pm On Oct 22, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

it was for this statement

The Nissan quest engine is a 3.5 litre engine and requires less oil than the honda accord 2.4 litre engine
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 22, 2013
nissparts:

The Nissan quest engine is a 3.5 litre engine and requires less oil than the honda accord 2.4 litre engine

I understand where you're coming from.

My Audi A8 4.2 V8 takes 7,5 litres. But some of the smaller engines take the same quantity, or even more.

Audi A8 3.0 V6 - 7,5 litres.
Audi A8 3.0 V6 TDI - 9,2 litres!

Then compare the 6.0 W12 with the 4.0 TDI V8:

Audi A8 6.0 W12 - 12,5 litres.
Audi A8 4.0 V8 TDI - 12,5 litres.

So you're correct, the engine capacity (as in swept volume) doesn't always determine the oil capacity. This is mostly determined by the size of the oil pan, oil filter, and the length oil lines to the oil cooler (if fitted), as well as the physical size of the oil cooler itself. If it's turbocharged, and the turbo is oil-cooled, this will also call for a higher than average oil capacity.

And for those that fill their engines with oil during a service, then allow 3 minutes before checking the level on the dipstick, one important factor has been forgotten.

The oil filter!

The oil filter can take up to half a litre. If it's replaced during an oil service, when the oil is poured in, the oil filter remains empty. So the engine MUST be run for between 10 - 20 seconds, to allow the oil pump to fill the filter. Otherwise an engine with an oil capacity of 5 litres could have just 4,5 litres, if simply using the dipstick after a lube service, if the engine isn't run, then checked again.

This is why engine oil capacities are often quoted with, AND without oil filter replacement.

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by Ikenna351(m): 7:44pm On Oct 22, 2013
Siena:

And for those that fill their engines with oil during a service, then allow 3 minutes before checking the level on the dipstick, one important factor has been forgotten.

The oil filter!

The oil filter can take up to half a litre. If it's replaced during an oil service, when the oil is poured in, the oil filter remains empty. So the engine MUST be run for between 10 - 20 seconds, to allow the oil pump to fill the filter. Otherwise an engine with an oil capacity of 5 litres could have just 4,5 litres, if simply using the dipstick after a lube service, if the engine isn't run, then checked again.

This is why engine oil capacities are often quoted with, AND without oil filter replacement.

Which was why I said in the post that I would refill till it settles in-between the minimum and maximum marks, but closer to the maximum. Then after few days of use, I would check the dipstick. Whatever I find would determine whether to top up or leave it as it were. I have never met the oil level on the dipstick at the minimum mark, while carrying out those checks, with such method my oil change method. And I replaced my oil filter at every oil change (6 months).

My SV D9 Oil capacity is 4.75 litres, so says the manual. But the brand of oil and grade that I wanted to use for the oil change didn't have any can with 4.75 litres or .75 litres. So I bought 5 litres of the oil, removed the old oil, replace the oil filter and pour in 4 litres of the oil first. Then, I used the dipstick to fill to the level that I wanted from the remaining 1 litre, which could be the .75 or less.

So, no matter how weird it sounds, to me, one can still use the dipstick to change his car engine oil and then find out the exact engine oil capacity without getting it from the manual.

I may not need my manual to tell me my car fuel tank capacity. All I need is to drive till it enters reserve, enter a fuel station with good pump and refill the tank full. Yes, I may not know the actual fuel remaining in the tank before the refill while at reserve, but I will be able to figure out the tank capacity, after deductions and additions. It may not be exact figure of the tank capacity, but it will be close.

Ikenna.
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by Ikenna351(m): 7:44pm On Oct 22, 2013
Siena:

The oil filter!

Which was why I said in the post that I would refill till it settles in-between the minimum and maximum marks, but closer to the maximum. Then after few days of use, I would check the dipstick. Whatever I find would determine whether to top up or leave it as it were. I have never met the oil level on the dipstick at the minimum mark, while carrying out those checks, with such method my oil change method. And I replaced my oil filter at every oil change (6 months).

My SV D9 Oil capacity is 4.75 litres, so says the manual. But the brand of oil and grade that I wanted to use for the oil change didn't have any can with 4.75 litres or .75 litres. So I bought 5 litres of the oil, removed the old oil, replace the oil filter and pour in 4 litres of the oil first. Then, I used the dipstick to fill to the level that I wanted from the remaining 1 litre, which could be the .75 or less.

So, no matter how weird it sounds, to me, one can still use the dipstick to change his car engine oil and then find out the exact engine oil capacity without getting it from the manual.

Ikenna.
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:20am On Nov 29, 2013
Siena:

Very valid points there.

In addition based on experience with certain cars, users might even be well advised to exceed the specifications in the manual by no more than 1 litre if there was a design fault that did not allow the oil to return to the sump at extremely high speeds, a good example being Mazda MPV 2000 and 2001 models if they operated the vehicles at such high speeds or made turns at very high speeds as well
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by anton8410: 7:34pm On Jun 27, 2014
Hi guys,
could you help me with engine capacity for my car as I cant find any info please.
car: nissan primera hatchback 2.2 sx dci
thank you
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by Nobody: 10:00am On Jun 28, 2014
anton8410: Hi guys,
could you help me with engine capacity for my car as I cant find any info please.
car: nissan primera hatchback 2.2 sx dci
thank you
your engine capacity is 2.2 litres. But you didn't specify year of manufacture or engine model type.
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by Cvesta(m): 10:10pm On Jun 28, 2014
Pls What is the oil required for an auto camry 2000 V6??
Re: Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles by kiekie1(m): 12:50am On Feb 06, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Very valid points there.

In addition based on experience with certain cars, users might even be well advised to exceed the specifications in the manual by no more than 1 litre if there was a design fault that did not allow the oil to return to the sump at extremely high speeds, a good example being Mazda MPV 2000 and 2001 models if they operated the vehicles at such high speeds or made turns at very high speeds as well

#Fact! Mazda 626 auto wagon 2000 and 2001 models @ high speeds of 160/170km per hour doesn't really need exactly 3.7L but 4L... If you don't really cover 160km/hr on a monthly basis , 3.7L is absolutely ok !!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Before Buying Used Cars In Nigeria: Things To Know / Aeromobil Flying Car - Pictures / 10 Impressive Concept Cars That Were Never Mass-produced (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.