Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,598 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement (30838 Views)

FG Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Awards 2016/2017 - Apply Now / FG Implements ASUU Agreement, Earmarks N1.3tr For Universities / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Youngzedd(m): 6:40am On Oct 18, 2013
On the first day of July this year, the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, began an indefinite strike that has lasted till date and may run deep into the future.
According to the union, the strike followed government’s inability to keep to an October 2009 agreement reached by both parties.
The agreement was reached after two years of negotiation between the lecturers and a government team appointed by the then Education Minister, Obiageli Ezekwesili.
The Government team was led by the then Pro-chancellor, University of Ibadan, Gamaliel Onosode while ASUU’s team was led by its then president, Abdullahi Sule-Kano.
The agreement reached at the negotiations included conditions of service for university lecturers, funding of universities, university autonomy and academic freedom, and issues that required legislation to implement.

Details of that agreement were held as confidential by both ASUU and the government, leaving the public to feed on crumbs of information thrown out at negotiation meetings between the two parties.
PREMIUM TIMES has now obtained a copy of the agreement and is now making it available for public viewing.

Click here to download

The agreement
The agreement included details such as the breakdown of lecturers’ salary structure, staff loans, pension, overtime, and moderation of examinations.
Part of the agreement dwelt on funding of universities where both parties agreed that each federal university should get at least N1.5 trillion between 2009 and 2011 while state universities, within the same period, should receive N3.6 million per student.
The agreement also had parts that asked the re-negotiation committee to ensure that at least 26 percent of Nigeria’s annual budget was allocated to education, and half of that allocation to universities.
The agreement also asked that the 2004 Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, JAMB, Act, and the National University Commission Act 2004, be amended.

Text of the suggested amendment bills – including suggestion for amendment of the Education (National Minimum Standards and Establishment of Institutions) Act 2004 – were provided in the agreements.
The agreement was signed by Bolanle Babalakin, the then chairman of Committee of Pro-Chancellors of Federal Universities; Gamaliel Onosode, chairman of the re-negotiation committee; and Ukachukwu Awuzei, the then president of ASUU.
The agreement demanded a heavy financial commitment from the government and was an adaptation of an earlier agreement reached in 2001.

It is unclear how much of the agreement have been implemented by the government. However, the secretary to the federation, Pius Anyim, after one of the recent failed negotiations, said that most of the issues contained in the 2009 agreement, had been fully met except for the earned allowances estimated at N92 billion.
“Some of the issues which bothered on amendment of pensionable retirement age of academics in the professorial cadre, consolidated peculiar allowances (CONPUAA)- exclusively for university teaching staff, National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS), setting up of budget monitoring committee in all public universities have been fully implemented,” he disclosed.
ASUU Chairman, Nasir Fagge, could not be reached to confirm how much of the agreement have been implemented.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/146763-download-ASUU-federal-government-2009-agreement.html

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by lakesguy(m): 8:42am On Oct 18, 2013
Al diz ones nah story' who cares abt the agreement' All I wann hear is ' ASUU called off 4month strike' den I can come bk here to read dere stupid agreement'

4 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by eguityjustice(m): 8:56am On Oct 18, 2013
so ASUU want to channel 50% of budget for education to universities. Then the remaining should be shared b/w polytechnic, collage of edu, secondry and primary. How fair is this?

25 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Youngzedd(m): 9:28am On Oct 18, 2013
eguity&justice:
so ASUU want to channel 50% of budget for education to universities. Then the remaining should be shared b/w polytechnic, collage of edu, secondry and primary. How fair is this?

I tire for them.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by osifred(m): 4:56pm On Oct 22, 2013
I am indifferent as regards this strike.
If the strike will yield atleast 70percent of the agreement in term of implementation then it is an unfortunate pain we should bear.

I want a situation where I can undertake my Msc in a Nigerian institution and feel at home with quality education instead of taking close to 5 million abroad to learn under hostile environment. Money I would have used to invest and help sustain the economy.

I want a situation where my sibling can consider schooling in Nigeria at a first choice

A situation where 4yrs is 4yrs for BSc and 2yrs is 2yrs for Msc

If this is the pain we must go through to enjoy the above then I am willing to suffer it now and enjoy later.

55 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Amali1436(m): 4:56pm On Oct 22, 2013
All na wasH
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Nobody: 4:56pm On Oct 22, 2013
undecided

50 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Nobody: 4:56pm On Oct 22, 2013
God punish this idiots. I was almost supporting them but on a second thought, this guys are greedy old men, destroying students lives with no sense of regret.

Why can't they just sue the FG since it was an agreement, wait let me guess, they don't want to spend their money, but they can waste students lives without twitching an eye.

We always blame FG, but these lecturers are as worse as the politicians themselves, I can bet that over 40% (esp Professors, Dr) are not in Nigeria as we are speaking, we complain that our politicians children aren't schooling in Nigeria but these greedy men are not different, even the son of Ondo state's deputy governor schools at OAU - tell me why he would want to send any of his children to FG universities later.

I just don't understand, this idiots are fighting for their pockets - for bigger offices, ac fitted - not students. I school in OAU and I'm not complaining, in-fact, no student is complaining. OAU increased Acceptance fee from 2000naira to 20,000naira, a whooping 1000% increase, when we students protested they advised us to stop and called us all sorts.

No lecturer supported students. For Pre-degree programme, the fee is over 150thousand naira, to write post utme, you'd have to pay over 3000naira, to check you'd have to pay over 3000naira, pls where do you think all these money is going to. Its not like we are given free food or learning materials.

This lecturers sit in AC tight offices, travel anyhow even during school semesters all in the name of research, the same lecturers fighting for students will come back from trips in the middle of semesters and give students only course outline and ask us to go learn ourselves.

Same lecturers demanded more than once that their retirement age be extended when millions of graduates are out of work. They want allowance because they are teaching more than 1 course, these same men and women of no reputable standard went to school on scholarship, with free food, books, and so on.

Damn ASUU and their sympathisers. They sit in AC tight offices with numerous gadgets when ordinary ceiling fans in students room aren't working.
They collect hundreds of millions in different fees but must new classrooms in OAU are built by Private companies and individuals such as first bank, I bet the rest are from FG funds.

I WILL NOT STOP UNTIL EVERYONE KNOWS THAT EVEN THOUGH FG IS CORRUPT, THESE LECTURERS ARE NOT ANY BETTER.

203 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Donsacalypse: 4:56pm On Oct 22, 2013
Space booked
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Gregzee: 4:56pm On Oct 22, 2013
Agreement my foot! did the rot begin now? Why such "take-it-or-leave-it" approach to solution! This ASUU is behaving like a spoilt child! Whereas they should be partners in development! ASUU my foot.

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 22, 2013
The part of the agreement I don't understand is one that talks about FG funding of state universities. That doesn't make sense to me - why can't states fund their own universities appropriately, or design creative financing options?

Oh well, the government signed an agreement. Let them abide by it.

7 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Deiok(m): 4:59pm On Oct 22, 2013
ASUU should pls. Forget about the agreement and call off the strike, since the reason they are on strike is for the students sake, and yet the students are the same people suffering from the strike.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by dheaven: 5:02pm On Oct 22, 2013
How was the agreement obtained by Premiumtimes?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by princesoft6(m): 5:02pm On Oct 22, 2013
2much stories. Leave this Frenemies called Fg & ASUU. They hv nutin 2 lose. The students r the receipient of the strike aftermath. Na God go judge them.

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by eluquenson(m): 5:02pm On Oct 22, 2013
Super story indeed!

4 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by joebases(m): 5:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
Until both parties place the horse (education) before the cart (centiments), the students will continue to bear the loss.
Which way Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by cutelover19(m): 5:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
Space booked, sipping my coke and eating crepes, i will be back to give a ROBUST grin comment.
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Demdem(m): 5:04pm On Oct 22, 2013
Excellent Agreement. I wonder why the Govt has refused to implement.
ASUU indeed has been patient all these years.
GOVT MUST IMPLEMENT ALL.

7 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Sermwell(m): 5:04pm On Oct 22, 2013
Who cares about any agreement? Pls just end the gaddam strike!
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Nobody: 5:05pm On Oct 22, 2013
joebases: Until both parties place the horse (education) before the horse (centiments), the students will continue to bear the loss.
Which way Nigeria?

undecided

30 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by pheesayor(m): 5:06pm On Oct 22, 2013
Whether ASUU is corrupt or not, the FG [size=15pt]SIGNED [/size]the agreement and have not denied it so I'm with ASUU on this oned it so I'm with ASUU on this one

10 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by yim(f): 5:06pm On Oct 22, 2013
the agreement is voidable as govt was forced to sign under duress. ASUU members are thieves.

7 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by pheesayor(m): 5:07pm On Oct 22, 2013
yim: the agreement is voidable as govt was forced to sign under duress. ASUU members are thieves.
the bolded can NEVER be true, talk another lie tongue tongue tongue

4 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by timoney(m): 5:07pm On Oct 22, 2013
GOD HELP 9JA
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by eluquenson(m): 5:07pm On Oct 22, 2013
yim: the agreement is voidable as govt was forced to sign under duress. ASUU members are thieves.

Do you really understand your statement at all?

13 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by maafen: 5:09pm On Oct 22, 2013
Singing Nkem Owoh's
"Agreement is agreement
e don reach Fø̲̣̣я settlement
you come d tell me NONSENSE"

4 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Basic(m): 5:09pm On Oct 22, 2013
What is this one saying? Are ASUU members militants?

3 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by double3(m): 5:10pm On Oct 22, 2013
nairaland.com
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Businesslocator(m): 5:12pm On Oct 22, 2013
Both ASUU and fg are theives!!!
Me don even forget my department not to talk of matric number!!!

5 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by eluquenson(m): 5:13pm On Oct 22, 2013
pheesayor: Whether ASUU is corrupt or not, the FG [size=15pt]SIGNED [/size]the agreement and have not denied it so I'm with ASUU on this oned it so I'm with ASUU on this one

Nigerian govt are fond of doing that, they will agree to a terms & never fulfill it.
Very malevolent govt

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Nobody: 5:13pm On Oct 22, 2013
50 percent of education budget 2 education?, and all the plenty allowance?, excess workload allowace?, 200,000K per thesis to professor, transfer of Univeristy lands to universities?, fed government funding state Universities. And still Universities having autonomy? Paying lecturers to supervise projects and exams? Then what is their work na. Heartless agreement. This will cause crises by other workers in other fields. Don't mind being a lecturer ones the agreement is implemented though.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Peter Azor-Okorugbo Graduates From Near East University In Nicosia, Cyprus (Pics / Russia University Introduces Yoruba Language & Others / I Feel Bad About My Jamb Score

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.