Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,294 members, 7,839,444 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide (25819 Views)

Fire Guts 50 Shops In Ladipo Auto Spare Parts Market / Fire Guts Abuja Farmers Market (Photos) / Fire Guts Port-harcourt Major Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 19, 2013
I don't know why i come online today? This oil soup and expired yam (AMALA) eaters no go kill person today.
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 1:25pm On Oct 19, 2013
When there is life there is hope
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Italiano1: 1:26pm On Oct 19, 2013
Commiserations to my Nwa Oyibgo brothers.

But why are these ingenious brothers from the land of the rising sun committing suicide an act they term as cowardice and ascribe to brothers in the SW?

I want to assure them that when there is life, there is hope

1 Like

Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by diane10a: 1:30pm On Oct 19, 2013
na wa o, may God be with them all and continue to provide for them. I wish them quick recovery
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Pukkah: 1:34pm On Oct 19, 2013
So many things are wrong and this is symptomatic of the country:

1. Above the ground electric poles
2. Non-responsive fire service
3. Non-responsive police (who should have been there to prevent suicide and other forms of crime)
4. No responsive ambulance service - to attend to casualties or provide succour to traumatized victims.
5. No thunder arrestors in such a big market. What were the state planning authorities looking at?
6. No public water supply in such a big market.

All the above testify to the failure of government - state and federal!

7. No fire training or prevention mechanism.

8. Very poor or non-existent insurance culture. There is really no reason for a trader to want to run into a fire if his goods were insured. Government should galvanize insurance companies to take advantage of this opportunity.

9. No cordoning off of the burnt market by the authorities to see if some burnt items are dangerous or lethal.

How big is the burnt part of the market (land area) to have been able to accommodate 3,000 traders? I guess it must have been highly crowded and unwieldy. This is also another failure of the state planning authorities.

On another note:

ceo4eva:
We have more than 3,000 traders and small scale industrialists here but all our years of toiling have been reduced to ashes. Though we are still counting our losses, presently more than N500 million has gone down the drain,’’ he said.

source: http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/traders-attempt-suicide-fire-guts-onitsha-market/

This is N500million for over 3,000 people in a country where one Minister is spending N255m on 2 cars. This means the N500million won't even buy 4 cars.

The rulers have become detached from the stark and hard reality of the citizens.

3 Likes

Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by jendell: 1:34pm On Oct 19, 2013
D pple trying 2 tribalize dis r very senseless.Dis pple r suffering,going tru pains ryt now.Most of dem feel dey have no hope at dis moment which is highly understandable. y come 2 nairaland 2 yarn rubbish,ibo man dis,fashola dat,lagos dis,apc dat. ahah....lets stop being childish 4 once in our lives nd try 2 say a word of prayer 4 dis business men nd women.

5 Likes

Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Italiano1: 1:38pm On Oct 19, 2013
Pukkah: So many things are wrong and this is symptomatic of the country:

1. Above the ground electric poles
2. Non-responsive fire service
3. Non-responsive police (who should have been there to prevent suicide and other forms of crime)
4. No responsive ambulance service - to attend to casualties or provide succour to traumatized victims.
5. No thunder arrestors in such a big market.
6. No public water supply in such a big market.

All the above testify to the failure of government.

7. No fire training or prevention mechanism.

8. Very poor or non-existent insurance culture. There is really no reason for a trader to want to run into a fire if his goods were insured. Government should galvanize insurance companies to take advantage of this opportunity.

9. No cordoning off of the burnt market by the authorities to see if some burnt items are dangerous or lethal.

This is N500million for over 3,000 people in a country where one Minister is spending N255m on 2 cars. This means the N500million won't even buy 4 cars.

The rulers have become detached from the stark and hard reality of the citizens.

And yet a lot of these men will insist that Stella Oduah is their Jesus on earth. She is feeding fat and insuring the future of her children, while the hungry commoners are shouting it was our turn to loot, like as if she will give them a kobo out of it.

Funny country.
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by ketoprofen(m): 1:39pm On Oct 19, 2013
Italiano1: Commiserations to my Nwa Oyibgo brothers.

But why are these ingenious brothers from the land of the rising sun committing suicide an act they term as cowardice and ascribe to brothers in the SW?

I want to assure them that when there is life, there is hope

for where?
they couldn't have done anything like that.
What those traders exhibited is what we call amansi.
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by ketoprofen(m): 1:43pm On Oct 19, 2013
Italiano1:

And yet a lot of these men will insist that Stella Oduah is their Jesus on earth. She is feeding fat and insuring the future of her children, while the hungry commoners are shouting it was our turn to loot, like as if she will give them a kobo out of it.

Funny country.

who are hungry commoners? those traders? lwkmd .

biko, carry ur tribalistic mind out of this topic, there is no tym for that.
Is Tinubu pro - poor?

4 Likes

Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 19, 2013
This is why Jesus said you shld not store ur treasures on earth.
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Pukkah: 1:51pm On Oct 19, 2013
ketoprofen:

who are hungry commoners? those traders? lwkmd .

Fact 1: with the fire incident, those traders have not in any way benefited from good governance. If they have, pls let me know.

Fact 2: share N500m over 3,000 traders and you get about N166,000 per head. Don't forget that some of them tried to jump into the fire. How would you classify such traders - low end, medium end, or high end?
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 19, 2013
How does a fire get to that level of destruction without the fire services intervening? Smh.
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Italiano1: 1:56pm On Oct 19, 2013
Pukkah:

Fact 1: with the fire incident, those traders have not in any way benefited from good governance. If they have, pls let me know.

Fact 2: share N500m over 3,000 traders and you get about N166,000 per head. Don't forget that some of them tried to jump into the fire. How would you classify such traders - low end, medium end, or high end?

I was just about to post the same figures for the bright spark.

I am not been tribalistic on this thread, if I was I will make it very very clear- I dont mess about.

The fact is that most of those men are just like the average Nigerian, struggling to make ends meet. Will Stella Oduah contribute a penny to them from her pocket, yet she is Jesus on earth to a lot of them

2 Likes

Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 19, 2013
Nothing works in this our country.
I've never heard of an instance where fire service responded in time to save the situation.

Maybe they have but not often.

And someone says we shouldn't migrate.

1 Like

Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Pukkah: 2:06pm On Oct 19, 2013
Italiano1:

The fact is that most of those men are just like the average Nigerian, struggling to make ends meet.

Oh yes. And this is where my pain lies.

Only a wicked person will try to tribalize the sad plight of these traders. People like them are all over the country working hard to eke a living without government support.

The thieving and corrupt elite have succeeded in polarizing the hardworking and struggling masses along the lines of tribe and religion. Now, when an issue is put on the front burner, people start to express opinions based on religion and tribe and yet their parlous state of affairs persists.

So many markets have been razed in all parts of the country and each time the script is the same: people want to jump inside the fire, there's no water for the fire engines, hoodlums loot, etc.

For how long will all this continue?

4 Likes

Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by hardbody: 2:08pm On Oct 19, 2013
Niggmatic: eeyaah.. We actually need effective and efficient fire service, possibly with state of the art equipment located close to all major and big markets not excluding industrial estates. For how long shall we keep loosing millions to negligence? Let Nigeria: government be proactive for once. Haba

And to make matters worse those guys do not believe in insurance. Its so hard when you have to bear the total brunt of a huge loss. May God encourage them. I trust my people, from the ashes they will rise again to become greater.
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by LajaLaba: 2:09pm On Oct 19, 2013
lorretta u: Nothing works in this our country.
I've never heard of an instance where fire service responded in time to save the situation.

Maybe they have but not often.

And someone says we shouldn't migrate.
Time to move on
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by picoba(m): 2:11pm On Oct 19, 2013

Sad ! biko

Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by stagger: 2:13pm On Oct 19, 2013
Dealers have goods worth hundreds of millions of naira in a market, and they cannot setup strategic fire extinguishing posts that will not cost more than one million to setup. A N50,000 investment per trader to safeguard their goods was too much.

People and their penny wise, pound foolish approach to business never cease to amaze me.
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Kabieosi: 2:15pm On Oct 19, 2013
Idi Amin:

It's a pity. Looking at the picture, I wonder how the fire got to that level without any attempt to put it out.

I'm also wondering what is taking Seun so long to review membersip on nairaland

because I'm tired of silly comments here
undecided

[img]http://4.bp..com/-wUQr64Rlz_M/T7Ab5zGqbxI/AAAAAAAABKQ/A5679p9HR8Y/s180/idi-amin-laughing.gif[/img]

1 Like

Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by ketoprofen(m): 2:18pm On Oct 19, 2013
Pukkah:

Fact 1 - Of course, the state fire service has failed them. Or is anybody saying otherwise?

Fact 2 - Their end is better than italiano's beginnings, so u see, he is in more trouble.
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by ketoprofen(m): 2:23pm On Oct 19, 2013
Italiano1:

I was just about to post the same figures for the bright spark.

I am not been tribalistic on this thread, if I was I will make it very very clear- I dont mess about.

The fact is that most of those men are just like the average Nigerian, struggling to make ends meet. Will Stella Oduah contribute a penny to them from her pocket, yet she is Jesus on earth to a lot of them

What d hell has this got to do with stella? is she d head of the kyn fire service?
u are not tribalistic in this thread my foot.
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by MAYOWAAK: 2:23pm On Oct 19, 2013
Segeggs: so japan of africa can burn!

Very soon the victims will start running to lagos.

They are no longer contented with Jews of Africa?

1 Like

Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Bizibi(m): 2:32pm On Oct 19, 2013
person go soon blame gej
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Nobody: 2:38pm On Oct 19, 2013
Big4wig: Thunder will fire all dis fire servicers.....you know you are a fire fighter & you don't av enough water in ur tanks & @ d end of d month if ur not paid fully,you go on strike sayin you were not paid for d services you rendered...pls which service did you render.....propaganda
fire or thunder non go strike or burn anybody.hhave bother to ask wheat her there were provisions for water and other gadgets.
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 19, 2013
Abagworo: Nigerians don't have insurance culture. I'm sure those that insured their goods will not worry much as its a proven case.
it is because of lack of trust on the part of the insurance company.iF you like my post,click like
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 19, 2013
Chai..Ndo Ndi Nwannem
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by gerald09(m): 2:50pm On Oct 19, 2013
Dis is a horrible tin to happen, but how long did it take for d fire service to show up, if they stay far away why has d market people not created one for demselves known dat dere products were not fire proof. Why do Nigerians always leave tins to chance. I bet if u ask dem dey would say dey lost products worth 20billion and dey couldn't even protect it from d unexpected, such as a fire station, hospitals etc, all of dem dey wait for government or Angel Micheal to protect dem and dey have 20billion to spend.
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by Richy4(m): 2:51pm On Oct 19, 2013
so sad.i just hope some of them got insurance
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by davades(m): 3:00pm On Oct 19, 2013
Insurance Policy comes to my mind after reading through. What a pity
Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by InHim4Him(m): 3:05pm On Oct 19, 2013
I thought Nairaland was for adult PEOPLE. How come there are too many KIDS (baby goats) in here to trivialize on things that border on life and death?

1 Like

Re: Fire Guts Onitsha Market, Traders Attempt Suicide by collizo82: 3:41pm On Oct 19, 2013
you are not well...get a life man
geeez: Eyaa sorry o

But if this happened in Lagos, you bet this thread would have grown twice as long on insults and accusations of arson by Fashola on businesses controlled by the owners of Lagos

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Advice needed : How do I successfully manage my bakery In Nigeria from the UK?. / Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss / CBN Raises Interest Rate To 12%,Tightens Money Supply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.