Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,816 members, 7,810,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

10 Lessons From Bill Gates - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 10 Lessons From Bill Gates (1022 Views)

Bill Gates Dab In New Photo / The Nigerian 'Bill Gates' Of Africa, / Interesting Facts About Bill Gates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Lessons From Bill Gates by doingreat(m): 4:56pm On Oct 18, 2013
10+ LESSONS FROM BILL GATES

The man Bill Gates obviously needs no introduction. Although most persons know that he was the richest man in the world and still is one of the men with the biggest bullion in the world. But looking at his life, there are many amazing lessons I've learnt from him. These are explicit in some of his quotes.

1. "It is fine to celebrate success but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure".

Although the employee deserves recognition for his work, mistakes should be recognised. So even small mistakes are not meant to be swept under the rug but must be addressed lest they re-occur.

Microsoft made some mistakes and those mistakes made microsoft stronger because they addressed the issues and learnt from them. Just as it is said, "forget the experience, remember the lessons".

2. "Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking that they can't lose."

This is one thing I learnt myself during my forex lessons. You have to treat both success and failure as impostors because while failure demoralizes you and make you reluctant to make that killer move, success itself makes you to throw caution to the wind, as if you were James Bond.

3. "Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning."

Am sure you remember the saying that "the customer is always right." The customers who do not give you feedback probably are not interested in the growth of your business. If you do not impress them the first time, they just take thier money elsewhere.

....so make sure you listen to your customers every time for they are the ones keeping you in business. If you ignore them, soon, they will ignore you.

4. "Until we're educating every kid in a fantastic way, until every inner city is cleaned up, there is no shortage of things to do".

Work is wonderful. At least for those who are getting adequately rewarded for good work. However, we do not want to get too absorbed with work. That is why Mr. Gates always has the gates to his heart open to helping of the needy.

Being the richest, man in the world satisfies him no more than lifting the lives of others. We need to give back to society. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation exemplifies this. There are indeed more than enough people in the world to help. Little wonder Aare Afe Babalola SAN is one of my personal mentors because of his effort to raise the standard of living for as many people as he can help.

5. "We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten. Don' let yourself be lulled into inaction."

You have to keep an open mind because a great idea that can change your entire fortune can come from antwhere, even your subordinates and employees. You have to keep updating yourself with the latest information, idea and technology in order not to be left behind in the fast train of development.

6. "Be nice to nerds. Chances are you will end up working for one."

Be nice to everyone. Of course that does not mean that you will have to kiss thier boots, but give each man his due. You never can tell, they may someday become your superior or you may just need a favour from them. So treat everyone with respect.

7. "As we look into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others."

Companies that know how to motivate and empower it's employees always prosper greatly. Everyone wants to work for a company where his efforts are appreciated. It makes them put greater effort. Here in my office I have a friend Jike who always complains about how his hard work and commitment goes unnoticed. Do you think he will stick his neck out for this firm?

Being empowered makes an employee feel proud. A proud employee feels appreciated. And they are likely to be dedicated and devoted to your project. One of the best ways to empower and appreciate employees is through monetary rewards just like Toyota does.

It is also not out of place to allow employees generate ideas for your company. According to "Mr. Microsoft" himself, "at Microsoft, there are a lot of brilliant ideas. But the image is that they all come from the top. I'm afraid that's not quite right". After all, smart people know how to use other people's ideas.

8. "Whether its Google or Apple or free software, we've got some competitors and it keeps us on our toes".

In business, you must discover that there are people working hard to outsmart you and put you out of business. So you must know your competitors and look for a way to get ahead of the rest of the pack.

9. " I believe in innovation and that the way you get innovation is you fund research and you know the basic facts". ...and one way you can really outsmart your competitors is by leading innovation. You have to use your imagination an think outside the box.

Getting new products and innovative services to the market will make you a leader and your competitors will have a run for their money. With their innovative apps, Apple revolutionized the way we use smart phones. You can testify to how successful it has become.

10. " I never took a day off in my twenties. Not one. And I'm still fanatical, but now I'm a little less fanatical".

The value of hard work can never be over-emphasized. Sometimes that is all you need to succeed in your endeavor. So once you have your goals clearly set out, just roll up your sleeves and get to work. There is really no shortcut to success unless you are otokoto.

Mr Microsoft is indeed insightful. Although we may not all end up as wealthy as he is, we can learn a lesson or two from him.

According to him, "people everywhere love windows" .Don't you?

source: www.happilyrich..com
Re: 10 Lessons From Bill Gates by laoludavid(m): 7:37pm On Dec 17, 2013
Nice one. I saw one of ur post on NL wia u advertise some books like power of persuassion etc. I will like us to discuss more on dis(business) u can watsaap me on 08132617358 or reach me on 2go olaitan2779. Thanks
Re: 10 Lessons From Bill Gates by elvis10ten(m): 8:02pm On Dec 17, 2013
6. "Be nice to nerds. Chances are you will end up working for one."
Be nice to everyone. Of course that does not mean that you will have to kiss thier boots, but give each man his due. You never can tell, they may someday become your superior or you may just need a favour from them. So treat everyone with respect.
Please, Nerds are not everyone. They are special and unique people => Obsessive, Socially
impaired, Intelligent.

(1) (Reply)

Entrepreneurship In The "Land Of Milk And Honey" / NIPOST Demands N500 Handling Charge. / Help On Importation From Aliexpress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.