Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

Meet The Man Who Taught Me How To Chew Bones - Testimonial To A Great Teacher. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Meet The Man Who Taught Me How To Chew Bones - Testimonial To A Great Teacher. (633 Views)

Funny Picture Of The Man That Created Exams / Photo Of The Man By Name Julius Berger Who Built Our Bridges (photos) / 16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me In School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Man Who Taught Me How To Chew Bones - Testimonial To A Great Teacher. by Appswheel(m): 10:39pm On Oct 19, 2013
He brought bones to the classroom. He was very generous with bones.

One afternoon, a middle aged man walked into SS 2E, he introduced himself as the new Further Maths and Mathematics Teacher. “Good afternoon class, my name is Olusesi, I will be teaching you Mathematics and further Mathematics”.

Prior to his appointment, our Further Mathematics teacher was Corper Tolu – a National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member.

Corper Tolu introduced us to the “good” side of further mathematics; she solves simple further mathematics problems as examples and ensured our class work and examinations were easy. At a point, she assigned her duties to our fellow colleagues (Halilu Yusuf, Annafi Azeez and Ikuku Aboko) – they were the best mathematicians in the class.

During her time as Further Mathematics teacher, my Maths notebook was “decorated” with excellent marks. I once scored 97% out of 100 as the final cumulative score at the end of a term – that was how good life was during Corper Tolu’s reign.

On his first lesson, Mr Olusesi weighed our understanding of Mathematics and further mathematics. The result of his assessment revealed that we had a shallow knowledge of the subject. He found this revelation disturbing.

He saw it as his responsibility to turn our fortunes around in Mathematics, Further Mathematics. He came up with a rescue formula – BONE THEORY. He demystified mathematics; he always had two methods for every topic, a short method which is appropriate for objective tests and the standard approach for theoretical examinations.

Unlike many teachers, he solves simple, difficult exercises as class examples and “serves” difficult questions (BONES) as class work and assignment. By serving us bones; he prepared us for our final examinations.

On many occasion, he exhausts his class period and engaged our free periods too. Sometimes, he organized a 30 minutes lecture after school hours – at no additional cost to us. Other teachers who organized extra-mural lessons did it at a fee.

I am glad writing this testimonial about a living legend. He was never late for his lessons and never came to the class with a note book or text book. Yet he solves many exercises and leaves us with assignments at the end of every lesson. This reveals how hard he prepared for his lessons and reveals his mastery of the subject.

He never used a cane, raised his voice at anyone nor utters an abusive word in the class room. You will be right to say he was a soft teacher; yet he had a firm control over his class. He was highly revered by his students. For me, he was more of a mentor than a teacher.

The final examinations, WAEC, conducted by the West Africa Examination Council Examination body turned out to be...... continue reading http://knowbase.appswheel.com/meet-the-man-who-taught-me-how-to-chew-bones/
Re: Meet The Man Who Taught Me How To Chew Bones - Testimonial To A Great Teacher. by ITbomb(m): 11:23pm On Oct 19, 2013
If I click that link make my fowl die before christmas
Re: Meet The Man Who Taught Me How To Chew Bones - Testimonial To A Great Teacher. by Appswheel(m): 11:29pm On Oct 19, 2013
Hello IT, by not clicking on the link, you miss out on a pool of amazing information. www.knowbase.appswheel.com is an educational, information portal. where education services are offered for free. it also holds scholarship, career info plus well written editorials. so by not clicking it... you have missed alot.
Re: Meet The Man Who Taught Me How To Chew Bones - Testimonial To A Great Teacher. by musty001: 6:18am On Oct 20, 2013
@appwheel,ma broda nd sista re presently a student f F.G.C.U although they complian a lot about d skuul
Re: Meet The Man Who Taught Me How To Chew Bones - Testimonial To A Great Teacher. by Appswheel(m): 11:44am On Oct 20, 2013
musty, i graduated over 9years now. You know the type of country we live in. Rather than have things improve, it deteriorates - that's the problem we face as Nigerians. During my time, not everything was smooth with the school. I learnt alot from FGCU - I developed my adaptation skills there. As i de so, i fit live on top MOON self and i met my best friends there.

(1) (Reply)

FG Blames ‘heartless’ University Lecturers For Prolonged Strike - See More At: H / What Did You Achieve Or Do During ASUU Strike / Iyayi Killed By Wada's Convoy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.