Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? (18278 Views)

See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / If You Were Asked To Preach In Your Church, What Will Be Your Message? / Do You Like Going To Church Early? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by KunleOshob(m): 5:43pm On Jul 08, 2008
rubi:

@ Topic become saved first if you are not, then you will be more eager and willing to go to church every sunday.

being saved has nothing to do with going to church every sunday, infact sunday worship is simply church tradition it is not a commandment of God. There is nothing in the scriptures whiich says we must go to church every sunday. even the law of the sabbath (which we don't observe) says we should keep it holy by not working and not by going to the church
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by rubi(f): 5:54pm On Jul 08, 2008
@ Kunle, The bible says forsake not the assembly of brethren
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by rubi(f): 5:58pm On Jul 08, 2008
Gamine:

Miss/Mrs Rubi

i never mentioned i was unsaved.

if i was unsaved why will i go to church

My point is there is a level you will reach with God you will long for sundays to come quickly because you can't wait to be in church
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by KunleOshob(m): 6:11pm On Jul 08, 2008
rubi:

My point is there is a level you will reach with God you will long for sundays to come quickly because you can't wait to be in church
That is churchianity and not christianity.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by rubi(f): 6:19pm On Jul 08, 2008
KunleOshob:

That is churchianity and not christianity.

It is churchianity that brings christianity
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 6:25pm On Jul 08, 2008
Mrs Rubi, you are way off.

i like what one of my pastors said,
Church is not a CLUB!!!!
You can be born in church, live in church, die in church, buried in church
and still never be saved!!
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by rubi(f): 6:36pm On Jul 08, 2008
Gamine:

Mrs Rubi, you are way off.

i like what one of my pastors said,
Church is not a CLUB!!!!
You can be born in church, live in church, die in church, buried in church
and still never be saved!!

Yes I agree with you, but one thing is sure it is better to stay in touch with the church than out of church. An unbeliever that comes to the church regularly is better than a xtain that is not seen in the church at all and claims he loves God you know why? because the words that he hears are like seeds planted which will germinate good fruit one day.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by itsolajide: 7:13pm On Jul 08, 2008
Well Brother, whatever it takes please ensure that you go to church. The company of saints is very vital to our maturity as Xtians. We need to learn things that will make our walk with the Almighty go deeper, so always go there to learn. Or is your church boring? Try Latterrain Assembly this Sunday at Plot 4, Akilo Road, Ogba lagos. God bless, kiss
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by SENATORJD(m): 8:48am On Jul 09, 2008
itsolajide:

Try Latterrain Assembly this Sunday at Plot 4, Akilo Road, Ogba lagos. God bless, kiss
Advertisingggggggggggg grin
dnt worry would bring Gamine there abi Gamine?
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 9:30am On Jul 09, 2008
Latter Rain ko

Rain Later ni

Senator abeg come carry me go Aso Rock church
na him i wan go o! grin
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by SENATORJD(m): 10:32am On Jul 09, 2008
no problem gamine i would send my driver to pick u up cool
LOL rain later grin cheesy
no let the members nab u oo shocked
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by KunleOshob(m): 11:06am On Jul 09, 2008
rubi:

@ Kunle, The bible says forsake not the assembly of brethren
Assembly of brethen is not necessarily going to church, it just means a gathering of christians coming together to share the love of christ. e.g fellowships which is what the early christians practised and not sunday church service which is merely church tradition. for further info you can check out my thread on the church and christianity https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-148850.0.html
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Nella(f): 11:55am On Jul 09, 2008
@ Poster,

maybe you're a wi shocked shocked grin lol, . . . kiddin! - na laziness dey catch u! tongue -- Don't worry, I would hire one of those ajasko dancing pastors to fire prayer for you! u will repent by force! tongue
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Seun(m): 12:02pm On Jul 09, 2008
Maybe your church is just boring. Or maybe something about the pastor's teachings bother you?
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by jintujinta(m): 12:10pm On Jul 09, 2008
People are excited about a place, when there is something to look forward to. So the question is what were you looking forward to in those days that you were excited to go to church, if you were ever excited to be there, that is?

Have you changed since you started going to church? People easily get bored when everything is stagnant. If you havent grown in the faith, if you are still where you were when you first knew HIM, then you are bound to be bored. You need a revival in your spirit. Even God said He despises lukewarmness. You either be hot or cold, no room for lukewarmness in the Lord.

If the Word you get in your church is not motivating, not inspiring , not nutritious enough to feed your soul, i guess you look for another place. if your church is telling you what you already know, you are bound to be bored, so look for a place where you can get refreshing interpretation of the Word.

I pray the Lord give, you the grace to rediscover the fire in you.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by ademiller(f): 12:31pm On Jul 09, 2008
wats rong with the oldways of worshipping? Lucrabasi, wat do u mean by givin catholic and anglican as examples of boring churches, u dey go church to listen to his word or go and show how hot u can step (as in dance). Abegiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. angry

gamine me sef no dey feel lik goin to church all d time but dat dont mean im deflectin spiritually, so stop worryin ur self undecided
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by simonseez: 12:40pm On Jul 09, 2008
please people lets go to church, God wants us to commune with him individually and as a group, thats why we have the gatherin of believers, and pls lets not castigate a particular church because they dont worship like the way ur church worship, some people find God in peace and quiet celebrations too, i for one do,

pls, you could read rick warrens "purpose driven life" its a beautiful book and could get u back on track.

God is all we have, God is all i have (i've never needed him more in my life than i do now and if i cant confess it in public, he would deny me in public).

pls lets get back to church,
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Aladunni(f): 12:43pm On Jul 09, 2008
Seun:

, Or maybe something about the pastor's teachings bother you?

think about that!
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by IMCCN(m): 12:48pm On Jul 09, 2008
We all feel that way sometimes, one of the ways to overcome this is to identify a group within the church you have interest in, take up a responsibility there and get busy for God! i had a similar challenge way back, then i joined both Drama and Media departments, and that has made going to church very exciting for me since! Don't forget the mind is like a garden, you need to prune it constantly to keep it beautiful and avoid 'weeds' overtaking it. Bless you
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by clemcykul(f): 12:59pm On Jul 09, 2008
i second u
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by otokx(m): 1:05pm On Jul 09, 2008
There is no such thing as being "busy for God"; don't let anyone deceive you. I too find it difficult in going to church because the whole thing is not making sense anymore. As police they collect for road, na so the pastor dey collect im own come dey yarn another thing. I in the interim visit www.awmi.net and download practical messages while forcing myself to attend one 7am service at least twice a month at some church around the corner.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by IMCCN(m): 1:19pm On Jul 09, 2008
Otokx my brother, If you want to wait for the time when every pastor will become like Jesus Christ before you serve God you will wait forever! even after listening to recorded sermons as you suggests, you will still have to come out and practice what you have heard from God and believed, that is service to God, 'getting busy' for HIM
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by kaypound(m): 1:27pm On Jul 09, 2008
@ rubi
i feel ya! that exactly how you feel when you newly become born again and you just caught the fire if you understand what i mean? You just wanna go to church and share how you feeling with a brother or sister or even your pastor on marvelous and great it to be saved but after something and you start getting the pressure from the environment it starts becoming boring going to church. that is the point! Christians starts loving church again when they are in need of something from God Eg. A child, and when that is accomplished they forget the gathering of the saints or when they are deep shit they tend to go to church often for God to save them form their whahala and they start living the moral but not righteous life.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by dree1: 1:30pm On Jul 09, 2008
@ Kunle,Gemine & All,

I am also really struggling with this issue. I do look forward to going to the weekly house fellowship (home care groups) because its interactive and for so many other reasons. But lately(since January) I have really been struggling with going to church and I only go for 2 reasons 1. To pay my tithe and 2. for the sake of my 3.5 old son. Hence, if i have my way I would pay my Tithe to the church office over the phone and stick with the weekly home group meetings.

But I still dont think that'll be right, as I'll love to be more actively involve in the church. Pls help
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gabry(f): 1:46pm On Jul 09, 2008
I'm the same like you too. To me its like this. if I self willingly want to go to church, I would go and if not, I wont cause I dont feel sincere at all. Then soon I came to a conclusion that whether I want to go or not, I should just go cause its not difficult to just spend one hour with God per week. Thats all it takes to make God happy. Think about it.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Sholeyb: 1:51pm On Jul 09, 2008
I had the same experience myself a few months ago. I would suggest the following:
1. Ask yourself why you feel the way you do (for me I was tired of ‘Pentecostalism’). I felt something was lacking in the church I was attending at the time.
2. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you resolve the issue(s)
3. Find another church, if you believe the crux of your problem is your present church, but ask the Holy Spirit for guidance
4. Yes, the bible does not say we have to go to church on Sundays but like others have said ‘do not neglect the gathering of the brethren’; the bible also does not state specifically what day the gathering should be held. So for me, the way I see it is that if I love God with all my heart, it will surely not be a burden to attend church on Sundays or any other day.
5. The next question to ask is, has your love for God waned or are you disconcerted with Pastors and elders? (I do not wish to offend you) but this happened to me in the past. Be honest with yourself and return to your first love, if this is the case. A lesson I learnt is that men of God are still human beings. Resist talking negatively about them, remember Eli the priest, even though he had 'fallen' , his pronouncement concerning Hannah still came to pass. I struggled with anger, hurt, unforgiveness and bitterness because of what a man of God did to my family, this led me down the slippery slope of not going to church for a while, then neglecting my study time with God, sinning etc. I lost a lot in the interim while I was angry,but thank God I have been restored.
6. Always study your bible on your own and continue to pray for his guidance.
7. Be careful who you take counsel from, some of us Christians are very quick to act as judge, jury and executioner.

To wrap up, believe me, NO CHURCH WILL EVER GIVE YOU ALL YOU NEED FOR YOUR SPRIRITUAL LIFE. I am not saying you should not attend church, I believe it is important to attend church, but do not only attend because you have to, but mainly because you love God and are excited about his word and praising him, which is mostly what happens in church.

I have told you about my experience to encourage you and warn you of the tricks of the devil.

Remember, it is a relationship with Jesus. Your relationship with Jesus is far more important than any church gathering or gathering of believers (whatever you choose to call it). Remember that the important thing is to spend eternity with Christ.

God bless.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by kuru: 1:58pm On Jul 09, 2008
Ess
u sound just like me, the only difference is that ive not been to church for like 4 years only occasionally to please my folks.
At times i sit down and wonder wat the essence of going to church is?
I think it is  for salvation of our souls or to enable us lead beta lives here on earth.
But after going through  the bible i have come to discover that goung to church every week (saturday or sunday )has no effect on the afore mentioned points.
Infact we can lead a good lives on earth simply by abiding by good moral principles.
We dont need bible study 52 times in a year b4 we give food to the hungry or or help som one in need.
Also the bible stated explicitly that salvaion is a gift from God, which means it cant be earned nomata how many times we attend church or how many hours of ushering we put into the church.
Im not saying we should not go to church or listen to our pastors just that at this point in our existence we should be able to discern
for ourselves Gods plan for our life.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by DejiYesufu(m): 2:31pm On Jul 09, 2008
I love to go church. I attend the best church in the world: VINE BRANCH CHURCH, MOKOLA, IBADAN. And I invite you to it maybe you will then like going to church after a try. Actually I believe I was like you once. I actually quit church for about a year. Untill I asked God to send me to a church that will suit me. The truth is that till you find the church that suits your makeup you may never enjoy going to church. So ask God and he will direct your path. But you have to be sincere in your asking and then you will begin to love going to church.
It is true there are no scriptural commandments for going to church or not going but if you go to church it will do you a whole lot of good. There are way too much warfare (spiritual I mean) to fight for one not to go to the only place God has given us to find spiritual strenght.
So go to church or come to my church and see, and like we say there,  COME DOWN WITH US AND WE WILL DO THEE GOOD!
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by alex406(m): 3:05pm On Jul 09, 2008
You are spiritually weak and lazy bro.Devil is using you as workshop so be mindful of what you do with your life.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by JUNIT1(m): 3:22pm On Jul 09, 2008
cast out the demon in you.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by stephanay(m): 3:23pm On Jul 09, 2008
@ topic

u shld try my church

Daystar  wink

u'll look foward to it , i promise  grin
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by naomijt(f): 3:24pm On Jul 09, 2008
Hi all,

The issue being discussed is one that is common among professing christians. Our churches have turn into something else.

Like KunleOsho said, church service as we see today is no more a biblical thing. People go to church for different things. We no longer go for fellowship. Heb 10:25 says we shouldn't forsake the assembly of the bethren. Which means we should constantly fellowship with other believers. Not the gymnastic we see in churches today.

Churches are now for motivational talks and seminars. We no longer go for fellowship.

I pray God deliver us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Catholic Church Bans Ejike Mbaka From Endorsing Politicians / Can There Be Prosperity Without The Tithe? - John Avanzini / Salvation Ministries Building Collapses In Okpanam, Delta State, Many Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.