Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,087 members, 7,818,263 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

Deadly Sin - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Deadly Sin (463 Views)

A Deadly Blow that DESTROYS the Doctrine of Immortal Soul / Why Fornication Is A Deadly Sin That Will Get You Almost Killed, If Not Killed ? / Jihad: The Sixth Deadly Pillar Of Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Deadly Sin by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:45pm On Oct 21, 2013
The Vine
October 21, 2013

"What could have been done more to my vineyard, that I have not done in it? wherefore, when I looked that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?" (Isaiah 5:4).

In Scripture we find many references to vines and vineyards, but there are three major passages that together reveal three aspects concerning the character of God and His love for His people.

The first, Isaiah 5:1-7, includes our text. Here we find that God, the owner, planter, and caretaker of the vineyard, cannot contain His disappointment, for despite the loving care showered upon the vine, it has brought forth improper, worthless fruit. In this parable, “the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah his pleasant plant” (v. 7), the chosen people who had seen more clearly than anyone else His abundant provision, but who had chosen to reject Him and not bear Him fruit. To them, and to those of us who reject His cultivating grace, He says: “I will lay it waste” (v. 6).

Psalm 80:8-19 gives us a picture of the abject desolation of the unfruitful vineyard once it is abandoned by the vinedresser. It is ravaged by enemies, wild animals, and fire, utterly helpless. The “vine” (Israel) may cry for help and restoration, but there are consequences to be paid. What a graphic picture this is, and what a reminder to believers today that we cannot for long ignore His will for our lives.

The last and most precious passage is found in John 15:1-16 and concerns fruitbearing. “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing” (v. 5). Here are found the secrets of the believer’s growth and fertility in glorious union with Christ.

“Herein is my father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples” (v.8 ). JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Deadly Sin by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:54pm On Oct 25, 2013
Deadly Sin
October 25, 2013

"If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it" (1 John 5:16).

Many pastors and other godly leaders have been asked about this verse. Usually, the question is asked from a very personal perspective: “Have I committed this kind of sin?”

This reference does not seem to apply to the famous “unforgivable sin” (Matthew 12:31), since that sin is the final rejection of God’s truth transmitted to all humanity by the Holy Spirit (John 3:19; 16:7-11). In the context of today’s text, John is clearly writing and warning believers that it is possible to commit a sin that is worthy of physical death—a sin so obvious to others that the brethren are not told to “pray for it.”

There are a few such examples in the Scripture.

The sons of Eli dishonouring the priesthood (1 Samuel 2).
Korah's rebellion against Moses (Numbers 16).
Ananias and Sapphira lying to the Holy Spirit (Acts 5).
An incestuous church member delivered over to Satan for his destruction (1 Corinthians 5).
Those who have known the "good things" of God but have withdrawn after having "tasted" them (Hebrews 6:4-6).
Willful sin after receiving the knowledge of the truth (Hebrews 10:26).
Returning again to bondage after knowing the freedom in Christ (2 Peter 2:20-22).
All sin produces "death" (James 1:15), and all of us will die because of sin (Genesis 3:19; Hebrews 9:27). But this deadly sin brings about the premature "execution" of a believer when he or she consciously refuses to follow known righteousness and instead chooses open ungodliness. May it never be so among us. HMM III

For more . . . .

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mark My Word-You will surely be judged. / Why Do Christians Don't Observe To Keep The Sabbath Day Holy / How To Fast.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.