Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,195 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Nigerian Man Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigerian Man Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois (644 Views)

John Godson Polish First Black MP (Nigerian) / Nigerian Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging In Malaysia For Drug Trafficking / Marieme Sall, Senegal's First Black First Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Man Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by marshborn(m): 3:10pm On Oct 21, 2013
Against all odds, and negative news associated with Nigeria on the international scene in recent time, some sons of the country still distinguish themselves, and make the country very proud. Such is the case of this Nigerian, Professor Ilesanmi Adesida who made history last month by becoming the first black Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs at University of Illinois in Urbana, USA.

Born in Ondo State, Prof Adesida is a Nigerian engineer whose outstanding work in the field of Nanotechnology has received much acclaim in the scientific community.
He obtained his Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degrees in Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley and subsequently went on to develop a body of work in the processing of semiconductors and other materials at the nanometer-scale level.

After his studies, he worked in various capacities at what is now known as the Cornell Nanofabrication Facility and the School of Electrical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. He was also the head of the Electrical Engineering Department at Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, Nigeria.

Commenting on his recently appointed role, Prof Adesida said: “I’m honoured and humbled to be selected as provost of this great campus. This is something I take very seriously. I know how to work very hard and I’m ready to roll up my sleeves and get the job done.”

Prof Adesida is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the American Vacuum Society, and the Optical Society of America. He is also the past-president of IEEE Electron Devices Society.

Re: Nigerian Man Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by mazizitonene(m): 3:47pm On Oct 21, 2013
Source
Re: Nigerian Man Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by marshborn(m): 4:02pm On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Nigerian Man Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by pfijacobs(m): 2:27am On Oct 22, 2013
C smile. Lol.

(1) (Reply)

Official Statement On Deputy British High Commissioner Who Slumped & Died In Lag / French Farmers Upset Over Falling Prices / Nelson Mandela's Daughter To Become New South African Ambassador To Denmark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.