Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,976 members, 7,952,927 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:32 AM

Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker (6242 Views)

Osun Worker Attempts Suicide Over Unpaid Salary / Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here / Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Nmeri17: 6:40am On Oct 22, 2013
good morning career experts. my problem is a bit simple. I work at a business center. and to say the truth, I've gained a lot in my two month stay. but sadly money isnt part of the many things I've gained. yesterday was payday and after the much hope I had that there'd be s pay increase, there was none at all. I perceive she does not increase my salary because I'm not into designing so I actually want to stay an extra month to prove to her that I can design. but whenever I think of the salary I totally lose my motivation to work.

I'm the brokest of my friends, even my mom insults me cos of the pay. but then I love the people here. I love my customers and I've not yet made the kind of name I would want to make. so I need your advice pls. should I ask for an increase or resign or just continue for the experience
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by whirlwind7(m): 7:09am On Oct 22, 2013
Let me come out blunt and straight to the point.

1: Who asks for a pay increase just 2 months on the job? I dont really see a good reason why you should expect an increase when you are just a newbie on the job.

2: You think you know the reason why your pay wasn't topped (not into designing) So, why not work on it, and satisfy yourself that you've met that criteria?

3: You love your job, and seem to have a good rapport with the customers. This, in my opinion, is a better motivation than the little pay increase you might expect

4: Quit comparing your financial status with that of your friends. It does nothing to help you.

5: Work to gain the experience, and not the pay. The experience will make you better equipped to build yourself. The marginal pay increase is just that: It's marginal, and adds little value to your person.

6: Dont quit the job. Prove yourself, then you can be on your way afterwards. If your boss then realises your worth, you could get a better offer. If he doesn't, thats his loss. Move on.

7: In today's materialistic world, money's worth has been so over-hyped. Keep a cool head, and come out smiling in the end.

One love! wink

44 Likes

Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Lilaex: 4:13pm On Oct 23, 2013
Me 2 u. Look 4 another work.
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Youceemeri: 4:14pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nah Prayer me want do because i dey vex like uncle joh here, First nah God go punish MTN for slow network in my area i should have be first to comment, second i thank God for today's bread o lord upon assu strike you no make it suumi lord i hail you oo. 3 why am i comment on this because am already learning Ankara shoe and bag with bead and make up artist since assu strike so i can have more money when dem call off strike, some i d i o t will be playing around doing nothing i pity you.....Damm my indomie don dry. Be right back

1 Like

Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by AnodaIT(m): 4:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
Start today to plan leaving the business centre.
The problem people have is that they just endure the system and when they cant take it anymore they just abruptly leave unprepared.
1. Continue having good rapport with customers, one of them might be of help tomorrow
2. if you can, save some money even if 1k a month.
3. keeping looking for other opportunities.
4. Develop a specific skill to help you, dont just be a business centre worker, intoduce urself as Graphic Designer etc
5. When ready to leave, Leave at the end of the month with a smile not quarrel.

2 Likes

Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Acidosis(m): 4:16pm On Oct 23, 2013
Aside,
Graphics/Design
Typesetting
Photocopy
Lamination
Spiral binding
Training

What else do y'all do in your business centre?

whats your educational qualification?

Whats the pay range among the workers?
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by eledalo: 4:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
Please don't work for 2 months and ask for salary increase. Have your skills increased to justify a raise in salary? You've already identified something you can do to improve your requests for a pay raise. Take your own advice and do the needful.

You found a job you love, believe me most people around the in Nigeria and around the world DO NOT even like their jobs. Improve yourself at it, and live a fulfilled life brother!

2 Likes

Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by kolinz(m): 4:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
if u wanna quit pls refer a nairalander to ur madam, many ppl here r in need of such opportunity not minding d pay but 4 d experience.

Pardom me but my lil piece is dat u hold on until a beta way opens.

Comparing wit ur friends will not just kill u but bury u 7 inches below earth surface (cheap funeral n burial).
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by ichommy(m): 4:21pm On Oct 23, 2013
Acidosis: Aside,
Graphics/Design
Typesetting
Photocopy
Lamination
Spiral binding
Training

What else do y'all do in your business centre?

whats your educational qualification?

Whats the pay range among the workers?

Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Fhemmmy: 4:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
In addition to what others has said:
1. What have you brought to the table to warrant the increase.
2. If you are more broke than your friend, check what they are doing that made them to make more than you, besides, never base your own thang on your friends.
3. Improve yourself.
4. Dont let the money be the only motivation, if you want a career, build ONE.
Good luck

1 Like

Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Talius(m): 4:26pm On Oct 23, 2013
whirlwind7: Let me come out blunt and straight to the point.

1: Who asks for a pay increase just 2 months on the job? I dont really see a good reason why you should expect an increase when you are just a newbie on the job.

2: You think you know the reason why your pay wasn't topped (not into designing) So, why not work on it, and satisfy yourself that you've met that criteria?

3: You love your job, and seem to have a good rapport with the customers. This, in my opinion, is a better motivation than the little pay increase you might expect

4: Quit comparing your financial status with that of your friends. It does nothing to help you.

5: Work to gain the experience, and not the pay. The experience will make you better equipped to build yourself. The marginal pay increase is just that: It's marginal, and adds little value to yuor person.

6: Dont quit the job. Prove yourself, then you can be on your way afterwards. If your boss then realises your worth, you could get a better offer

7: In today's materialistic world, money's worth has been so over-hyped. Keep a cool head, and come out smiling in the end.

One love! wink
well blunted
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by nairaarea: 4:29pm On Oct 23, 2013
BE PATIENT AND IMPROVE IMPROVE YOUR DESIGNING SKILLS. YOU ARE LUCKY YOU HAVE A JOB. 12MILLON NIGERIAN GRADUATES ARE UNEMPLOYED!!1
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by luckgood(m): 4:30pm On Oct 23, 2013

5: Work to gain the experience, and not the pay. The experience will make you better equipped to build yourself. The marginal pay increase is just that: It's marginal, and adds little value to your person.

6: Don't quit the job. Prove yourself, then you can be on your way afterwards. If your boss then realise your worth, you could get a better offer

One love! wink

GOOD ONE
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 23, 2013
Issokay cool
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by nerodenero: 4:32pm On Oct 23, 2013

5: Work to gain the experience, and not the pay. The experience will make you better equipped to build yourself. The marginal pay increase is just that: It's marginal, and adds little value to yuor person.

6: Dont quit the job. Prove yourself, then you can be on your way afterwards. If your boss then realises your worth, you could get a better offer

One love! wink
Well said
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Woged2005(f): 4:41pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sorry to say usual craps from today's Nigerian youths. Money, money, money!! For ur info dear, employers have a way of calculating an employee's productivity, u're only paid a percentage of what u make for the employer (usually, btw 10-25% of what u generate for the biz). That is how salary is calculated. Your employer is in the biz to make profit not to pay staff out of sympathy. Sometimes, some people think they can hide under other employees to cover their inefficiency. next time u ask for a raise, ask urself how much do I personally generate for d company? It's not enof to just come to work everyday, or flash big certificates, private businesses compensate personal productivity/output, not sympathy.

I advise you to go open your own business and make the big money u want cheesy

1 Like

Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by DarryOsh(m): 4:41pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nmeri17: but then I love the people here. I love my customers
working with people u care about and enjoy being around is a very rare thing these days. it is priceless and so i understand your sentiments. but then u still have to use ur head well. if u work with people you care about but the job is not rewarding, then i think you should consider an alternative. PLEASE TAKE NOTE, i am not saying you should leave, i am just pointing out that sometimes sentiments can steer us the wrong way.

i am sure sure ur customers (if they love you as you love them) would not want you to starve just so that you can see their faces every morning. Besides, what makes you think you wont enjoy your next place of employment more.

NB: i did not give the OP a total answer. i only answered a part of his question that seems to affect us all. Sentiments! Its important that we dont let our hearts rule our heads.

Summary: if u are gonna stick wit ur job it should not be solely because you enjoy a good relationship with the people there. there are other things to consider
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by stan4b(m): 4:52pm On Oct 23, 2013
U can work to gain d experience,den u start ur own biz wit d little experience u must av gathered. Besides,its not how much dey r paying u dat really matters,wot matters is,DO U FIND HAPPINESS nd PEACE OF MIND doing wot u do?
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by bknight: 4:53pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nmeri17: ...even my mom insults me cos of the pay...

Whoever tells his mother his monthly salary? Are you still dependent on her? Grown men don't do this, even if you earn a million every month. Except the wife u're married to, others can jump into boiling soup. Its even better telling friends, than family undecided angry

Ok, so is the pay small cos ur mom says its small or small in comparison to ur friends' salaries? Answer the intrinsic questions:
Does the salary pay ur immediate bills? Does it settle at least 75% of ur needs? And 50% of ur wants?

It can be small according to ur mom and relatively small compared with ur friends' but pulls u through the month just fine. Then u shld stay on the job and develop urself better. With better developed&sharpened skills, u'd have an edge to demand a pay rise.

If ur mom&friends are the sole reasons why u are saddened abt ur salary, not that it doesn't take you through the month, then u need a lash. NLers can help u with tongue-lash undecided
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by adesammy1(m): 5:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
I'll tell you from experience when I started working at a business center before gaining admission I was paid 4500 a month and I didn't quit. with the experience I got there I am making alot of money now in school as a student because I type for my coursemates and even lecturers for a nice sum. Keep on working and improve because that knowledge can never be taken away from you.

2 Likes

Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Iceman296: 5:14pm On Oct 23, 2013
Patience Bro, The Pay Might be Small But The Experience and Contacts you get might Help You. Keep on Keeping On!
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Ninapha(f): 5:29pm On Oct 23, 2013
Did u say two months or two years?

If u want to tell urself the truth, u know the bone of any business center is designing /graphics. Where u cannot give much in this area, how then do u expect to earn same salary with those actually doing the 'brain job'.

Onething I must say is that i like ur disposition on ur flair for ur job and recognition of ur need to improve or prove u can do better.

If it is two months, u hv no justification for salary increase. Two years ok yet u cant ask for what u dont earn.

I wd advice u focus on gettn good experience and also making ur own customers while u are there.

For u mockers, tell them u wd be better for ur decision to stay on.
Experience and expertise have a great worth.
Best of luck.
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Malawian(m): 5:42pm On Oct 23, 2013
@ op, look for something extra to do on the side. you can buy and sell recharge cards, or exam checker cards etc. you can offer some services your firm is not offering like say reloading hitv, dstv etc. the problem is that you think salary will move you up in life.

you dont even know the profit margin of the owner there even as he/she is absolutely responsible for the running costs.

do something extra for yourself.

some people dey house wey no see anything do.

as long as you are not working for the government, you should never feel entitled to anything.

1 Like

Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by buzymoney: 5:53pm On Oct 23, 2013
[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfdmXmRJu6s[/flash]
FUNNIEST VIDEO EVER
SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL FOR MORE
FUNNY XEX VIDEOS
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by oweniwe(m): 6:51pm On Oct 23, 2013
Na wa o.

All of you are just reprimanding the poster anyhow. Do you know how much biz center workers earn a month? Its minimum of N4,000 and maximum of N7,000.

During NYSC last year, i worked at a biz center inside a college of education. . The workload was so much. . I typed all manners of projects, books, assignments, letters. . About 70 pages daily. . All for N5,000 per month. . My cousins were fond of making jest of my pay. Nobody told me to quit after three months. . .

Op, if you're working for experience, to build ur CV, and gain some "connections" . . Ok. . Stay for about 6 months and then you can move. . Otherwise, look for another job. . Biz center pay is not something you can use to take care of yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Egbagirl(f): 8:13pm On Oct 23, 2013

One love! wink

This is what you need to hear. Firsyly, I find it hilarious that you were expecting a salary increase in just 2 months of starting with the center. Perhaps, at the end of the year, you might get a bonus but a salary increase under 6 months is highly unlikely unless you bring something exceptional to the table. Stay there and learn other skills while on the job. See this as an opportunity to learn for free. It's like you are being paid to learn because you will take the skills you acquire elsewhere to another business or yours. Don't focus on the money, focus on developing yourself and your skills. Money will come and go but your skills won't. They stay with you forever as long you are alive.

You must definitely have a goal as well. Are you just chasing money in the air or are you working towards achieving a particular goal? I guess at this point, you need to ask yourself some very crucial questions.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Qualities Of Good Leadership In Business / The Highs And Lows Of Being A Woman In Tech / Best Gaming Apps That Pay Real Money To Nigerians (100% Legit)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.