Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Help-: Pc Wont Play Dvds!?! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help-: Pc Wont Play Dvds!?! (905 Views)

Help! Pc Is Not Booting / He Need Help. PC Issue / Rip DVDs, Record Videos, And Convert Audio/Video Formats With VLC Media Player (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help-: Pc Wont Play Dvds!?! by AKO1(m): 8:48pm On Jul 07, 2008
Hi,

I'm trying to help a good friend of mine. She has a fairly new desktop PC. The CD drive indicates that it can play and write recordable (and normal) DVDs (DVD-R is written on it).

She tried to play a movie before but it didnt play. At this time there was no other DVD software installed. I gave her AVS and she installed it but it still wont play. It plays VCDs by the way

What could be the problem?

Thanks.
Re: Help-: Pc Wont Play Dvds!?! by uspry1(f): 11:42pm On Jul 07, 2008
Check on 'Start' button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Device Manager clicking the icon of DVD/CD to ensure that is enabled for auto-run for any CDs/DVDs inserted to play automatically.

Also make sure the icon of DVD/CD drive on Device Manager is not a YELLOW EXCLAMATION ('!') telling you that is missing driver for this CD/DVD drive.

If there is YELLOW EXCLAMATION ('!') on DVD/CD drive icon, then therefore you need driver update download from its computer manufacturer where she bought from.

Good luck!
Re: Help-: Pc Wont Play Dvds!?! by AKO1(m): 2:37am On Jul 08, 2008
uspry1:

Check on 'Start' button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Device Manager clicking the icon of DVD/CD to ensure that is enabled for auto-run for any CDs/DVDs inserted to play automatically.

Also make sure the icon of DVD/CD drive on Device Manager is not a YELLOW EXCLAMATION ('!') telling you that is missing driver for this CD/DVD drive.

If there is YELLOW EXCLAMATION ('!') on DVD/CD drive icon, then therefore you need driver update download from its computer manufacturer where she bought from.

Good luck!

Thanks, but there is no "Device Manager" in my own list under system tools.
Re: Help-: Pc Wont Play Dvds!?! by femzy(m): 9:05am On Jul 08, 2008
You can better navigate to device manager lke this:
Right click My Computer-Properties-System-Device Manager
(Anyway, depending on your OS)

But i want to believe its a software issue and make sure you have got a DVD drive and not just a CD ROM drive installed in your system.
Re: Help-: Pc Wont Play Dvds!?! by Mustay(m): 9:10am On Jul 08, 2008
From your narration, it's likely the PC is only for VCD drive

But you could also download a DVD player from download.com
Re: Help-: Pc Wont Play Dvds!?! by routik(m): 11:17am On Jul 08, 2008
Try and install power dvd version 8 thats if you are sure that there is a dvd drive in that system.
Re: Help-: Pc Wont Play Dvds!?! by Mustay(m): 2:44pm On Jul 08, 2008
Re: Help-: Pc Wont Play Dvds!?! by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jul 11, 2008
do u have the software that can play DVD. if u dont, try VLC MEDIA PLAYER
it can play any format. well if u have d software that can play DVD, maybe the software is bad
uninstall it and download another one,SAY VLC.
OR maybe ur system contains virus. cool
Re: Help-: Pc Wont Play Dvds!?! by jaymes(m): 10:18pm On Jul 11, 2008
PUBLIC NOTICE

As clearly seen on this thread, second-hand devices always has something wrong with it! and you know what? There is no warranty nor guarantee. All Nairalanders are hereby adivced to purchase all computer peripherals "BRAND NEW"

Signed: Management
Re: Help-: Pc Wont Play Dvds!?! by AKO1(m): 5:20pm On Jul 13, 2008
jaymes:

PUBLIC NOTICE

As clearly seen on this thread, second-hand devices always has something wrong with it! and you know what? There is no warranty nor guarantee. All Nairalanders are hereby adivced to purchase all computer peripherals "BRAND NEW"

Signed: Management

So in your mind now buying second-hand is the same thing as having fairly new abi?

What do you call something you constantly use that you bought 3 months ago? brand new abi? angry angry

(1) (Reply)

Can't Find Icon On Taskbar / My Flash Oooo / Systems Support Analyst This Is A Customer Enquiry To A Systems Support Analys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.