Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike (13797 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by ifeanyija(m): 8:50am On Oct 23, 2013
Union of Universities to end the industrial dispute which has kept public universities shut for four months.

The petition launched on change.org, a go-to site for web protests, is asking President Goodluck Jonathan and the National President of ASUU, Dr. Nassir Faggae, to reach an “amicable consensus.”

In the petition entitled, “Mr. President and the Academic Staff Union of Universities: Please End the ASUU Strike now,” the petitioners said the Presidency should stop playing politics with education of the Nigerian youth.

The petition read in part, “Since the ASUU strike began, it has been over half a semester, a lot in the life of students waiting at home, not knowing when the strike will be over. The future of Nigeria is at stake. Stop playing politics with education.

“It is urgent we send a message that it is long past time for the FG and ASUU to reach consensus and get students back to school by ending this strike.”

A majority of non-students who appended their signature to the petition noted that they joined the online protest with a view to crying out to ASUU and the FG to consider poor students whose parents cannot afford the luxury of sending them overseas to study like the sons and daughters of political office holders.

Former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar, joined other students and concerned Nigerians clamouring for a speedy end to the crisis rocking the higher education sector.

Atiku, who featured the link to the petition signing website on his Twitter handle, wrote, “We should never play politics with education. Our future depends on it. It is time for the FG and ASUU to reach a consensus and get students back to school by ending this strike.”

An Abuja-based post-graduate student in one of the public universities in the country, Mubarak Jubrin, expressing his dissatisfaction, wrote: “I am stuck with a semester to finish my Master’s programme. The FG should be doing everything possible to rescue the one institution left that is working towards producing better human beings who will shape the future of our dear country.”

Noting that prolonged shutting down of public universities is a dangerous omen for the society and development of the nation, a Kaduna-based student, Tarik Abubakar, also said Nigerians students were being denied their rights to education.

“Students in other countries are enjoying their rights to education. I am pleading with the FG and ASUU to settle their issue and call off the strike,” Abubakar stated.

A Nigerian student studying at the University of Cape Town, South Africa, Godspower Onwudiwe, lamented that the industrial action paints a bad picture of Nigeria on the international scene.

Onwudiwe stated, I feel so sorry for my beloved country because these incessant strikes are a barrier to her general development. Also, as a student in the Diaspora, it paints a very pitiful and shameful picture on our international identity.

“I cannot wait to not only see this strike end but also the end of future strikes to the detriment of the future of this generation and our country at large.”

Jemima Gana, who was moved to sign the petition because she believes that the status quo needs to change as the prosperous future of Nigeria depends on quality education, which is being threatened by the strike.

Gana, who according to the information she provided on the site, is based in Lagos, said Nigerian students need a stable learning environment devoid of strikes for them to be able to compete globally.

“It is so important to me because it is high time the FG took the value of education seriously and in high regard. Students in Nigeria need a stable environment to acquire knowledge and graduate on time in order to contribute their skills to the growth and development of this great nation,” she wrote.

www.punchng.com/i-punch/atiku-215-others-sign-petition-to-end-ASUU-strike/
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by emmanugo: 9:01am On Oct 23, 2013
na 2day?

1 Like

Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by oladoya(m): 9:18am On Oct 23, 2013
mtcheew. Something dey for nna head. Na now nna know say ASUU dey on strike? Why cant you take this step in the first place before it gets to this stage. FIBBINGS.
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by alubeze1(m): 9:28am On Oct 23, 2013
Mtcheeeeew. Wolves in sheeps clothing

1 Like

Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Nobody: 11:09am On Oct 23, 2013
A President that runs the country by gossip, hearsay, rumours and beer parlour banters is bound to witness the harvest of disappointments, flip flop, prevarications, policy somersault and crass incompetence that is fast taking over the Jonathan administration.
It is now evident that ASUU is on strike against Okonjo-Iweala for talking down on them. It is an ego-fight between the body and the minister on who blinks first. In this kinda fight, one cuts his nose to spite his face. The Nigerian studentd are the victims here and President Jonathan forgets that these students constitute the army of voters that elected him in 2011. 2015 is around the corner! The students are piling up his offences and waiting. Okonjo might not be around to save him by then. Like Oduah, he is gathering the firewood that his political enemies would use to roast him in 2015.
We all know that ASUU is not as honest as they would want us to believe, but this strike has become a pollitical problem that requires a political solution. Let the President rise up to the challenge.
I join other concerned Nigerians in asking ASUU to call off the strike in the interest of the future of the country.

9 Likes

Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by 2sureguy1(m): 2:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
Letz c wat coms out of dis 1st.....stp foolin d masses
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Drsheddy(m): 2:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
๏K
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by VICTORCIZA(m): 2:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
BLA BLA BLA
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by idris4r83(m): 2:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
ASUU e don do make una call off na.
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by pstdre(m): 2:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
All we are saying is call off d strike#All we are saying is call off d strike#All we are saying is call off d strike#

2 Likes

Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by abfan(m): 2:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
abeg joor, all this one na story story, this season film done dey drry sef abeg make assu call off, i no watch again.
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by alaladakosta(f): 2:21pm On Oct 23, 2013
good development... in another news i hear say if davido like make he turn skelewu video to season film. saka i don port video go still better pass am. lol

1 Like

Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by deebrain(m): 2:21pm On Oct 23, 2013

1 Like

Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Drsheddy(m): 2:21pm On Oct 23, 2013
єЙđ ๏F ąşşЦ ş┼rIKє ┼ђIЙメ ┼IMє

1 Like

Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Smartlife(m): 2:21pm On Oct 23, 2013
M seeing this strike clocking next year
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Nikapetrelli(f): 2:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
Abeg make we hear joor, na so, end soon we dey hear
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by imsuboi(m): 2:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
all those signing that petition are I'd'iots .

First class I'd'iots!

What would happen if they (those thieving politicians) remit a little "bit" of the funds they've been embezzling from our coffers so as to meet ASUU's demands?

Hypocrites!!
angry angry angry
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Memyselfu2009(m): 2:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
He did steal money from our national treasure if he bring out 1 billion nd contribute to the promised money to make it 41 billion then I would know he has Nigerians interest at heart. For now he is just talking non sense during obasanjo tenure there was a strike like this was he not the vice president what did he do. All this Jonathan haters

1 Like

Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by stephenobuks(m): 2:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
Hmmm I think it's time we come together to register our complain. This is out of hand, we have to fight for the little Right we have ooooo
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Gregzee: 2:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
ASUU should stop meddling with Nigerian politics. From all indications ASUU has been hijacked by the opposition.
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by GenWOJUOLA(m): 2:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
Atiku of all people? nPDP are goin dere
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Memyselfu2009(m): 2:24pm On Oct 23, 2013
ASUU say them dey fight for our interest now we say we done tired make them no fight for our interest again make them call of d strike

1 Like

Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by gomis(m): 2:24pm On Oct 23, 2013
abeg, who get sendo charger here
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Uch87: 2:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
Say something about Poly pls we feel bad also about our strike
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Bruno3000(m): 2:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
Dis con3 needs deliverance...
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Gwekzy: 2:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
Smartlife: M seeing this strike clocking next year
U wouldn't ave said something prophetic if it happens..
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by vislabraye(m): 2:26pm On Oct 23, 2013
Any association that has Atiku in it should raise eye brow. But apart from dat ASUU should help matters. 600bn is to some extent reasonable.
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 23, 2013
It's all good. If the lecturers believe in an all or nothing stance, they should totally stick to their guns and not call it off until all their demands are met. If they change mouth later in the name of "national or student interests", may it never be well with the leadership of ASUU and their political cohorts.
Anyway, my siblings and i are all graduates and will never be affected. My 'baby' cousin is in Maritime Academy so ASUU can strike forver for all i care.

1 Like

Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 23, 2013
Former VP seeking political relevance as usual. This mess started when he was in Power. He is part of the problem. He should not pretend to ‎​be part of the solution.

As for Mr President, he needs our prayers cos the problem of this country is obviously beyond him. He is @ a loss as to how to solve the numerous problems facing Nigeria.
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by IYANGBALI: 2:31pm On Oct 23, 2013
I don't want the strike to be called off.....I hate schooling
Re: Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike by Miscellaneous(m): 2:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
@0p Lmao

(1) (2) (Reply)

65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO / Auchi Poly Students Protest The Killing Of Fresh Graduate By Vigilante Group / JAMB: Police Smash Akwa Ibom Syndicate Attempting To Hack Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.