Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,630 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers (38080 Views)

Warning!! Etisalat Monthly 1gb For 1000 Naira Is A Scam! / IOS 5/IOS 6/IOS 7 Update: Warning To All IPhone/IPad Users! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by ogedanny: 5:14pm On Oct 25, 2013
hmmm
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by israel007: 5:20pm On Oct 25, 2013
If u steal my iphone, sorry for u. Hahahahaha

ICloud working so well. Find my iphone got my back
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Nobody: 5:21pm On Oct 25, 2013
israel007: If u steal my iphone, sorry for u. Hahahahaha

ICloud working so well. Find my iphone got my back

Apple got this step far ahead of others

1 Like

Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Suntemi(m): 5:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
I'm sure the way he explained it makes it sound somehow. Anyway this is how Apple talked about it

With iOS 7, Find My iPhone includes a new feature called Activation Lock, which makes it more difficult for anyone else to use or sell your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if you ever lose it. It starts working the moment you turn on Find My iPhone in iOS 7. With Activation Lock, your Apple ID and password will be required before anyone can:

1. Turn off Find My iPhone on your device
2. Erase your device
3. Reactivate and use your device

This can help you keep your device secure, even if it is in the wrong hands, and can improve your chances of recovering it. Even if you erase your device remotely, Activation Lock can continue to deter anyone from reactivating your device without your permission. All you need to do is keep Find My iPhone turned on, and remember your Apple ID and password.

Here are answers to frequently asked questions about Find My iPhone Activation Lock.

1. How does Activation Lock work?

When you enable Find My iPhone on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 7, your Apple ID is securely stored on Apple’s activation servers and linked to your device. From that point on, your password will be required before anyone can turn off Find My iPhone on your device, erase your device, or reactivate and use your device.

Activation Lock is enabled automatically when you turn on Find My iPhone in iOS 7, or when you upgrade to iOS 7 from a previous version of iOS that has Find My iPhone already turned on.

To turn on Find My iPhone on your device:

1. Go to Settings.
2. Tap iCloud.
3. Sign in with your Apple ID, if necessary.
4. Turn on Find My iPhone.

2. What steps should I take if I misplace my device?

If you ever misplace your device—whether it’s just lost or you think it may have been stolen—you should put it into Lost Mode immediately using Find My iPhone.

Lost Mode locks your screen with a four-digit passcode and lets you display a custom message with your phone number to help you get it back. You can also remotely erase your device if needed, and your custom message will continue to display even after the device is erased.

While Activation Lock works in the background to make it more difficult for someone to use or sell your missing device, Lost Mode clearly indicates to anyone who finds your device that it still belongs to you and can’t be reactivated without your password.

To put a device into Lost Mode, sign in to www.icloud.com/find from a Mac or PC or use the Find My iPhone iOS app.

3. Do I need to turn off Find My iPhone before giving away my device?

Yes. Before giving your device to someone else, always turn off Find My iPhone to ensure that the other person will be able to activate and use the device normally. The best way to do this is to erase all content and settings from your device before handing it over. This will completely erase your device, turn off Find My iPhone, and remove the device from your iCloud account. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

4. What if I forget my Apple ID password?

If you forget your password, you can reset it at My Apple ID (appleid.apple.com) or by contacting Apple Support and verifying your identity. Once your password has been reset, it will work normally with Find My iPhone and Activation Lock.

If you forget your password and cannot reset it, you will lose access to your Apple ID and may be unable to use or reactivate your device. To help prevent this, visit My Apple ID periodically to review and update your account information.

5. How do I check for Activation Lock before purchasing a used device?

When purchasing an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from someone other than Apple or an authorized Apple reseller, it is up to you to ensure that the device has been erased and is no longer linked to the previous owner’s account.

Follow each of these steps to make sure that you can use the device you purchase:

Turn the device on and slide to unlock.
If the passcode lock screen or the home screen appears, the device has not been erased. Ask the seller to completely erase the device by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Do not take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been erased.

Begin the device setup process.
After choosing a language, choosing a country, and connecting to a network, the device will begin activation. If you are asked for the previous owner’s Apple ID and password, the device is still linked to their account. Hand the device back to the seller and ask them to enter their password. If the previous owner is not present, they can remove the device from their account by signing in to icloud.com/find. Do not take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been removed from the previous owner’s account.

You will know that a device is ready for you to use when you are asked to “Set up your iPhone", “Set up your iPad", or “Set up your iPod” during the device setup process.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818

Note: Please take note of point 4 and 5. They are very important.

3 Likes

Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
I've never bought second had phones.

I simply endured when I couldn't afford it.

And now? Homeboy ain't balling on a budget. grin
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
if you are running ios7, u have no excuse not to turn on "find my iphone" under icloud settings

2 Likes

Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Nobody: 5:24pm On Oct 25, 2013
^^^^^^ thanks @suntemi, im not good when it comes to explaining things like this. i just go straight to d point i want to make

3 Likes

Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 25, 2013
babywhale: @op does the find my iphone feature give exact location of the phone when stolen?

Babywhale: premiumhairsng

grin oh boy e! U steal iphone ni? grin
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 25, 2013
tumababa:

Apple got this step far ahead of others

Htc has the feature way back as 2011, don't say what u don't know
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Nobody: 5:30pm On Oct 25, 2013
@ op do u sell used samsung phones eg s3
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Suntemi(m): 5:30pm On Oct 25, 2013
tumababa: ^^^^^^ thanks @suntemi, im not good when it comes to explaining things like this. i just go straight to d point i want to make

Well, that's how Nairaland works. I don create thread with that post since Oct. 14 So when I saw the comments, I decided to bring it here the Apple way.
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Nobody: 5:37pm On Oct 25, 2013
The REVOVEf: @ op do u sell used samsung phones eg s3

i sell ONLY iphones
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by iphoneloaded(m): 5:39pm On Oct 25, 2013
A lot of people especially Africans have already became victims. We have been receiving emails on this issue and there is nothing we can do to unlock those iOS 7 phones.

Your info OP would help a lot of people buying stolen phones without knowing.
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Nobody: 5:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
nil

1 Like

Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by dival247(m): 5:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
If you like tell the seller to turn it off , i can remotely turn it on back with with remote server , when u are buying a used phone just tell the seller to sign out from the icloud , than u can buy
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Nobody: 5:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
tumababa:

i sell ONLY iphones
k thanks
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by iphoneloaded(m): 5:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
[quote author=sun_temi] I'm sure the way he explained it makes it sound somehow. Anyway this is how Apple talked about it

You said it all.
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by linearity: 5:45pm On Oct 25, 2013
Are people still dumb enough to sell existing iPhones without first resetting and deleting all its contents?....

By the way, I am selling one of my clean used iPhone 5, IOS 7.0.3...currently listed on eBay for $499.00 (chicken change)..sold the first one yesterday for the same price...interested buyers hit me up.
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 25, 2013
rapo8000: to bypass ios 7 pass and id, try this Put the iPhone into DFU mode (google is your friend), then open iTunes, it should tell you that you have an iPhone in Recovery/DFU mode, shift-click the Restore button and select the iOS 7 IPSW, then it should be happy days. call me for more info i will hack any of em for you. 07069518667.

your info will make things worse. i hope u know what u are saying....
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by iphoneloaded(m): 5:48pm On Oct 25, 2013
^^^^ he would be sending them to us. And we can't help in this case cry
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by dival247(m): 5:50pm On Oct 25, 2013
I can remove the iCloud lock [b][/b]
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by iphoneloaded(m): 5:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
babywhale: @op does the find my iphone feature give exact location of the phone when stolen?

Babywhale: premiumhairsng

Yes... If location service is active on the device.
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by MyJwell: 5:58pm On Oct 25, 2013
write2obi: Thanks @Op for this info, i want to buy an iphone4 or 4s, real soon, pls where and how much can I get a uk used once? Am in lagos?

Secondly how do i know if the phone is running ios5, ios6 or ios7

Finally those the above info also apply to ios5 and ios6?

call 07033356351 ...i have iphone4 for sale....US used
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by write2obi(m): 6:01pm On Oct 25, 2013
Lemmie have your Email or Pin, i prefer that
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Onyenna(m): 6:01pm On Oct 25, 2013
Anula m....
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 25, 2013
dival247: I can remove the iCloud lock [b][/b]

im really not comfortable with this your idea. u are promoting a bad idea..... not sure its possible for now though, except u also want to take advantage of anyone that has fallen victim.

1 Like

Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by quivah(f): 6:20pm On Oct 25, 2013
Etumgbe: I always buy new phones. So OP dis ur topic is not meant for me.

Next topic pls
he never said it was

4 Likes

Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by princyunlimited(m): 6:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
hw can diz thread make it 2 d frontpage?diz nt helpng us in ani way
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by dival247(m): 6:52pm On Oct 25, 2013
iphoneloaded: ^^^^ he would be sending them to us. And we can't help in this case cry
iphoneloaded: ^^^^ he would be sending them to us. And we can't help in this case cry

That u logic can't work if u like u restore the the iphone 100% the icloud will lock it back , lets give a try cry i can lock and i can unlock also with my server , to unlock will cost u much , but to lock it with cost u low amount , if another customer bring the device, i we still unlock it and collect from both parties
Re: Warning To All (Used) iPhone Buyers by Brimmie(m): 7:00pm On Oct 25, 2013
dival247:

That u logic can't work if u like u restore the the iphone 100% the icloud will lock it back , lets give a try cry i can lock and i can unlock also with my server , to unlock will cost u much , but to lock it with cost u low amount , if another customer bring the device, i we still unlock it and collect from both parties

undecided

Anyone reading this shld becareful of Coconut Headed Thief like this.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Download Lagos Street Maps On Your Phone / TECNO Spark 2 Official Discussion Thread / Nigerian Twitter Users Blasts MTN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.