Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,700 members, 7,831,181 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

[Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (29752 Views)

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? / Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! by Godwin10(m): 5:00am On May 23, 2013
Are computer engineers also programmers or they just deal with hardware
Re: [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! by youngmoneyeze: 11:06am On May 23, 2013
there deal with hardware, is computer science that ideal with programmer mean software
Re: [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! by youngmoneyeze: 11:08am On May 23, 2013
youngmoneyeze: there deal with hardware, is computer science that deal with programmer mean software
Re: [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! by wy2000(m): 4:58pm On May 25, 2013
angelchyke: Sometime ago, last month, a friend of my in the Computer Science came by my place, to visit and you know, "shack garri". AFter he was done, satisfying the whims of his belly, he told me that he just doesn't get. They had been given an assignment in PASCAL programming. This is a guy that started learning programming privately, with C#.

But if I should throw this to the Nigerian community here on Nairaland, what do our universities have to offer us in the study and research of computer science. PASCAL? Can they favourably compete with the foreign counterparts in the other universities. Naija guys and girls abroad, your unprejudiced judgements will go a long way,

You are oversimplifying the value of a Computer Science education. Computer science is not only programming. It is a very vast field and programming is just one part, albeit an important part because you need to to demonstrate concept by programming.

I have not heard of any school in the world that produces super star programmers in computer science class. A CS who wants to be a programmer will have the tool to get better on it!

I will refer you to this article by Altucher who went to one of the best schools in the world. http://www.techcrunch.com/2011/11/12/10-things-entrepreneurs-dont-learn-in-college/
Re: [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 10, 2013
youngmoneyeze: The problem with Nigeria student is that them want to be like white people, don't know that will are better than them.
most student are said that Nigeria university are not good in computer science in aspect of programmer. that many lecture can not taught fortan, student will should remember a topics in physics called machine that say machine can not work 100percentage because of that load ovrcome that fraction meaning that lecture can not give u 100percentage efficiency u have to research, work hard. this is the generation of computer science student dont sleep will have many ways to go, will have to developed our country with the word of computer so that they can remember us in pass.
few said that dont study computer science in Nigeria that our university is too poor, my brother, my sister don prove urself wrong what about some people who can not offer two square mile aday , people who have the talent to develop our county with computer science. schooling abroad is the same thing study here because lecture can not give u 100percentage efficiency u have to work hard, want make them having a good programmer is that they are used human resource in those countries.eye have open. i have a cousin that study electrical electronic in unbein it company him out for IT it say that will Nigeria deceiver ourself. it say that the company is doing him IT the white people connected a series connection him do it,they are many thing they do not kwn how to do. why are will complaining about our school here.
Look at prime product of the educational system he is defending. This one is also a graduate kwa?
Re: [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! by pisolution(m): 9:47am On Sep 10, 2013
javaprince: @All
Computer Science is not all about Programming. Hence, B Sc. is not a WASTE of time. They teach u the fundamentals of Computer Science. True the Education system is deteriorating, everything in Nigeria is except probably Banking System.

Then also, most schools like my school For instance (FUTA) gives you an Introduction to most on these programming languages such as Visual Basic, Fortran, C, C++, Java, and PHP (in that Order) and am not bragging. Also, we also get to learn courses such as Data Structures and Algorithms, Networking, Database management, System ana,ysis and Design, etc. Tell me, a Chap that just goes to learn Java, does he get to learn all the above.

Hence, software companies always prefer a computer science graduate with skills of programming.
I beg, no deceive yourself, you fit learn all these languages on your own ooooo.
Re: [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! by wy2000(m): 3:24pm On Sep 10, 2013
pisolution:
I beg, no deceive yourself, you fit learn all these languages on your own ooooo.

Seems like you didnt read the first line of the comment you quoted!

If the main reason you want a CS course is programming, then you dont even need to go to school.

Computer Science is a very very wide field. BSc exposes you to all of the field, from the basic to practical, and its your choice what you want to do with it.

The best analogy is military school or training. You dont need the army to learn to shoot, (or even fight in a war)!
Re: [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! by wilsonbuchi(m): 3:45am On Aug 13, 2014
I need you guy's help.. I'm Wilson.. wanna sit for jamb and the course I wanna take on is computer science cox even from when I was a toddler, I've been a geek.. the problem is.. in my waec, I had d7 in Chemistry.. I don't know if it will affect me and my choice.. though I made the other eight subjects.. eng b3. maths c6. Igbo a1. agric b2. geography b2. physics c5. bio c5. economics c6. Chem d7.. can I go for computer science with this result? jamb subjects fortunately for me are maths, physics and any other relevant science course.. I will go for geo cox I'm good at it too.. i'm just afraid my chem might Bleep up.. my first choice is futo.. wanna know their waec requirements for computer science.. help a bro in need.. plz..
Re: [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! by wilsonbuchi(m): 8:56am On Aug 13, 2014
Haa! NO response..
Re: [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! by Javanian: 6:30pm On Aug 13, 2014
wilsonbuchi: I need you guy's help.. I'm Wilson.. wanna sit for jamb and the course I wanna take on is computer science cox even from when I was a toddler, I've been a geek.. the problem is.. in my waec, I had d7 in Chemistry.. I don't know if it will affect me and my choice.. though I made the other eight subjects.. eng b3. maths c6. Igbo a1. agric b2. geography b2. physics c5. bio c5. economics c6. Chem d7.. can I go for computer science with this result? jamb subjects fortunately for me are maths, physics and any other relevant science course.. I will go for geo cox I'm good at it too.. i'm just afraid my chem might Bleep up.. my first choice is futo.. wanna know their waec requirements for computer science.. help a bro in need.. plz..

for computer science you need

Mathematics
English
Physics

and any two from

Chemistry
Further Mathematics
Agric Sci
Economics
Geography
Biology
Food and Nutrition
Health Science

So you are good to go :8

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan Has A Mobile Game/app ! Thats Right / Abdulhakim Bashir Wins Startup Innovation Competition In UAE, Gets $10k Prize / What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.