Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,251 members, 7,822,286 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother (12328 Views)

7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. / Ndigbo Originated From Egypt, Jacob’s Son Is The Father Of Nri – Monarch / The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 26, 2013
abagoro:

That's a lie. Most of the Eri migration stories are centered around 15th to 17th century. The reason why the 9th century issue came up is because of the Igbo Nkwo discovery. Nri writers linked it to Nri instead of the host community who are of course not Nri.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 12:54pm On Oct 26, 2013
Interesting...

So NRI PRIEST the Odenigbo Aroli and Chino are not pure Igbo's? shocked

Very very interesting!!

We learn new things everyday! undecided
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by pazienza(m): 2:12pm On Oct 26, 2013
Another thing i found interesting in that awka story was the fact that their blacksmith seem to know all the regions of igboland, and indeed other related nion igbo groups like ijaws,annangs, ibibios ans Efiks. They journeyed to those lands with impeccable accuracy like they had a map before hand, or pre knowledge of the existence of these places.

This is exactly against the notion that those igbos in northern parts of igboland knew nothing of those places, and only come to know of them because of the creation of pan Igbo union by the whites.

On the contrary, These awka blacksmiths lived amongst the ikwerres, Ngwas,Ndokis and the ijaw groups, includind the ibibio/annang/efik axis, they knew the the differences between these groups and their culture.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by ChinenyeN(m): 2:13pm On Oct 26, 2013
shymexx: Interesting...

So NRI PRIEST the Odenigbo Aroli and Chino are not pure Igbo's? shocked

Very very interesting!!

We learn new things everyday! undecided

I hope you aren't taking this time as an opportunity to miss the point of the discussion and troll.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by ezeagu(m): 3:41pm On Oct 26, 2013
abagoro:

That's a lie. Most of the Eri migration stories are centered around 15th to 17th century. The reason why the 9th century issue came up is because of the Igbo Nkwo discovery. Nri writers linked it to Nri instead of the host community who are of course not Nri.

I'm not going off of opinion or personal sentiment, I'm going off of research. I've never read any source that links Eri to the 15th or especially the 17th century. If you have this it will be useful. This is the first I've heard of this. The dating is usually based on the list of kings which the Nri claim to be from the 10th century, but others like Douglas Chambers put the date around the 13th century, 1400 is a long way from 1250s.

Besides that, your dating does not provide explanation for the claimed genealogy of Igbuzo, Ogwashi, Asaba, or even Agbor and so on. The Obi of Owa (near Agbor) categorically states that his kingdom is an Nri settlement, just for an example, and we know many of these towns have been in existence since well before the 16th century.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by ezeagu(m): 3:44pm On Oct 26, 2013
pazienza: Another thing i found interesting in that awka story was the fact that their blacksmith seem to know all the regions of igboland, and indeed other related nion igbo groups like ijaws,annangs, ibibios ans Efiks. They journeyed to those lands with impeccable accuracy like they had a map before hand, or pre knowledge of the existence of these places.

This is exactly against the notion that those igbos in northern parts of igboland knew nothing of those places, and only come to know of them because of the creation of pan Igbo union by the whites.

On the contrary, These awka blacksmiths lived amongst the ikwerres, Ngwas,Ndokis and the ijaw groups, includind the ibibio/annang/efik axis, they knew the the differences between these groups and their culture.

I think a pre-European pan-Igbo theory and an acknowledgement of interactions between these groups are separate discussions, for example, we know that Aro were allies with Nike people in the Enugu area, but that doesn't necessarily mean they had a shared identity, although I'm not doubting it.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 26, 2013
ChinenyeN:

I hope you aren't taking this time as an opportunity to miss the point of the discussion and troll.

I was just messing about with Nri Priest. grin
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by ChinenyeN(m): 4:25pm On Oct 26, 2013
shymexx: I was just messing about with Nri Priest. grin
Ah okay.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by ChinenyeN(m): 5:03pm On Oct 26, 2013
pazienza: Another thing i found interesting in that awka story was the fact that their blacksmith seem to know all the regions of igboland, and indeed other related nion igbo groups like ijaws,annangs, ibibios ans Efiks. They journeyed to those lands with impeccable accuracy like they had a map before hand, or pre knowledge of the existence of these places.

The very fact that there still exists an overall lack of traditions in the northern cultural area concerning groups in the southern cultural area (and vice versa) is enough to suggest a general lack of interaction between communities in the two regions, and consequently, a lack of knowledge.

This is not to say that no interaction ever occurred or that communities were not aware of people living to the north of them or to the south of them. It's just that we cannot make the assertion that communities in the northern cultural area were aware of the existence of Ngwa or Echie, or that the Ikwere were aware of Oraukwu or Nri, just because the Awka engaged in long distance trade. That simply isn't justification enough.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by odumchi: 6:34pm On Oct 26, 2013
Interesting thread.

pazienza: According to edda people, Aros were called Aro Okeigbo, because they were stationed at the boundary between the Igbos and Ibibios. Oke= boundary.

I don't think so (at least that's not what we Aro believe).
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:56pm On Oct 26, 2013
This is what happens when you try to revise and already established facts,you get stuck. For example,oral history taught us that Okodu,the projenitor of Umu-Okodu clan which includes Abatete,Umuoji and Nkpor was an Nri migrant,who first settled in the present location know as Abatete. And these was already told even before the arrival of the whiteman. Oral history put his arrival around 1200s. How is it possible for Okodu a descendant of Eru to have existed before Eru,himself ? This is nonsense.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by pazienza(m): 3:51am On Oct 27, 2013
ezeagu:

I think a pre-European pan-Igbo theory and an acknowledgement of interactions between these groups are separate discussions, for example, we know that Aro were allies with Nike people in the Enugu area, but that doesn't necessarily mean they had a shared identity, although I'm not doubting it.

We can only guess, but i want to believe that those awka blacksmiths knew the difference between Igbo dialects spoken in ikwere, etche,etc, and non igbo languages spoken in annang, ibibio,ijaw towns, etc.

Based on this,i can say that they probably knew that they were more related to those speaking Igbo dialects that they had little or know difficulty understanfing, than with those speaking an entirely different language.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by pazienza(m): 3:56am On Oct 27, 2013
ChinenyeN:

The very fact that there still exists an overall lack of traditions in the northern cultural area concerning groups in the southern cultural area (and vice versa) is enough to suggest a general lack of interaction between communities in the two regions, and consequently, a lack of knowledge.

This is not to say that no interaction ever occurred or that communities were not aware of people living to the north of them or to the south of them. It's just that we cannot make the assertion that communities in the northern cultural area were aware of the existence of Ngwa or Echie, or that the Ikwere were aware of Oraukwu or Nri, just because the Awka engaged in long distance trade. That simply isn't justification enough.

We can say the same of the interaction between Ngwa and Ndoki, Ndoki people probably knew only those neighbouring ngwa villages north of them, and not those farther up and bordering Umuahia groups.

There is enough justification for the Ikwerre to be aware of Awka and other northern groups, seeing as Awka people resided amongst them, unless you are suggesting that they are dumb and are not inqusitive at all.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by pazienza(m): 3:59am On Oct 27, 2013
odumchi: Interesting thread.

I don't think so (at least that's not what we Aro believe).

I would go with the Edda view, seeing as it made a lot of sense. Perhaps, as arochukwu grew and their power and importance grew too, Okeigbo began to take a new meaning,to suit their new found relevance, power and ego.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Obiagu1(m): 4:10am On Oct 27, 2013
pazienza:

I would go with the Edda view, seeing as it made a lot of sense. Perhaps, as arochukwu grew and their power and importance grew too, Okeigbo began to take a new meaning,to suit their new found relevance, power and ego.

It has always been known as OkeIgbo (Igbo boundary).
People never called it OkiIgbo/OkeIgbo (Great Igbo) from the way it is pronunciation except those that are reading it wrongly online.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by odumchi: 4:47am On Oct 27, 2013
Obiagu1:

It has always been known as OkeIgbo (Igbo boundary).
People never called it OkiIgbo/OkeIgbo (Great Igbo) from the way it is pronunciation except those that are reading it wrongly online.

Why do you act as if you know everything?

The name "Aro Okigbo" was what other Igbo peoples called Arochukwu because it was the home of Ibini Ukpabi, the highest oracle in Igboland; the physical location of Chukwu himself. It had nothing to do with Aro being at the fringe of Igboland.

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Obiagu1(m): 4:56am On Oct 27, 2013
odumchi:

Why do you act as if you know everything?

The name "Aro Okigbo" was what other Igbo peoples called Arochukwu because it was the home of Ibini Ukpabi, the highest oracle in Igboland; the physical location of Chukwu himself. It had nothing to do with Aro being the at the fringe of Igboland.

That's funny, who wrote that?
When did Ibini Ukpabi's name turn to Okigbo?

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by odumchi: 5:05am On Oct 27, 2013
pazienza:

Saying this suggests that there was some sort of ethnic consciousness in this pre-colonial era. Besides, peoples all over Igboland referred to Arochukwu as "Aro Okigbo". How could Onicha known that Arochukwu was at the edge of Igbo territory? How did Ikwere know that Arochukwu was at the edge of Igbo territory? Isn't Ikwere on the edge of Igboland itself? Why isn't there an Ikwere Okigbo?

It doesn't make sense. Also, bearing in mind the significant role which Ibini Ukpabi played in Igbo affairs in the pre-colonial era, you can clearly see the most likely meaning.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by odumchi: 5:07am On Oct 27, 2013
Obiagu1:

That's funny, who wrote that?
When did Ibini Ukpabi's name turn to Okigbo?

I nugo ife m gwalu I. Adiro agwa okenye ofu okwu ugboro ibua.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by ChinenyeN(m): 5:09am On Oct 27, 2013
pazienza: We can say the same of the interaction between Ngwa and Ndoki, Ndoki people probably knew only those neighbouring ngwa villages north of them, and not those farther up and bordering Umuahia groups.
You can't actually. In short, without deviating too much into the topic of Ngwa and Ndoki, I can say that it is actually quite the opposite from what you're asserting here. If you really want to discuss traditions of the communities in the region, then we should open up a separate thread, but honestly, I am compelled to believe that you will have little to actually contribute to such a discussion.

pazienza: There is enough justification for the Ikwerre to be aware of Awka and other northern groups, seeing as Awka people resided amongst them, unless you are suggesting that they are dumb and are not inqusitive at all.
My point is simple. Just because Awka people made their way further south does not in any way equate to interactions between northern and southern communities, especially not at the scale which you are trying to imply. It is a baseless conjecture, considering the overall void of traditions that exists between the two regions. Seriously, it's a straightforward line of thought. If knowledge of northern and southern communities were as intimate as you want to assert, then we should all be aware of a wealth of traditions to that effect, but we aren't. This void of traditions is not something you can simply ignore with the kind of assertion you're pushing. You'd have to address it.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by ChinenyeN(m): 5:29am On Oct 27, 2013
Obiagu1: People will say Eri is the progenitor of the Igbo race but will only 'claim' Eri and his children founded the towns in Anambra that include Ogbunike, Agukwu-Nri, Enugu-Ukwu, Enugu-Agidi, Nawfia etc.
The believe is that every other Igbo town came about from the migration and re-migration of Eri's children.

So the word 'claim' has to be used properly.

I've never heard any Igbo 'claim' we founded Igala.

I guess you're attempting to differentiate between the use of Eri and Nri. I get where you're coming, but no matter how you try to differentiate it (not to say that the differentiation isn't a good thing), the claim still remains fundamentally the same. The Umunri/Umueri claim every "Igbo" community as having descended from their progenitor. I guess that is why people are fond of writing the two together (i.e. Eri/Nri or Nri/Eri). They have developed a degree of synonymy, especially when this claim is discussed.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by pazienza(m): 7:30am On Oct 27, 2013
ChinenyeN:
You can't actually. In short, without deviating too much into the topic of Ngwa and Ndoki, I can say that it is actually quite the opposite from what you're asserting here. If you really want to discuss traditions of the communities in the region, then we should open up a separate thread, but honestly, I am compelled to believe that you will have little to actually contribute to such a discussion.

My point is simple. Just because Awka people made their way further south does not in any way equate to interactions between northern and southern communities, especially not at the scale which you are trying to imply. It is a baseless conjecture, considering the overall void of traditions that exists between the two regions. Seriously, it's a straightforward line of thought. If knowledge of northern and southern communities were as intimate as you want to assert, then we should all be aware of a wealth of traditions to that effect, but we aren't. This void of traditions is not something you can simply ignore with the kind of assertion you're pushing. You'd have to address it.

I don't really understand this your post. Was ikwerre aware of northern Igbo groups? Yes. case closed.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by pazienza(m): 7:35am On Oct 27, 2013
odumchi:

Saying this suggests that there was some sort of ethnic consciousness in this pre-colonial era. Besides, peoples all over Igboland referred to Arochukwu as "Aro Okigbo". How could Onicha known that Arochukwu was at the edge of Igbo territory? How did Ikwere know that Arochukwu was at the edge of Igbo territory? Isn't Ikwere on the edge of Igboland itself? Why isn't there an Ikwere Okigbo?

It doesn't make sense. Also, bearing in mind the significant role which Ibini Ukpabi played in Igbo affairs in the pre-colonial era, you can clearly see the most likely meaning.

I will still go with Edda position on this, it makes more sense to me seeing as edda is a neutral party in this, i believe OkeIgbo became lost in translation to Okigbo, and the Aros never cared, cos it suit they ego. Of course, there was some form of ethnic consciousness pre colonial.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by odumchi: 7:56am On Oct 27, 2013
pazienza:

I will still go with Edda position on this, it makes more sense to me seeing as edda is a neutral party in this, i believe OkeIgbo became lost in translation to Okigbo, and the Aros never cared, cos it suit they ego. Of course, there was some form of ethnic consciousness pre colonial.

I hope that thing on the Edda wiki page where some guy scribbled that "Arü Oké Igbo" means "Arü Òkè Igbo" is not the basis of this your argument. I don't see any evidence supporting your hypothesis that Edda calls Aro "Arü Òkè Igbo". Where is this written? In fact, why should Edda call Aro such when Edda also borders non-Igbo land? Are you insinuating that Edda was the first to call Aro this name and then everyone else followed suit? Your points don't add up. I still don't understand how people as far away as Onicha and Nkwere found out that Aro bordered non-Igbo-speaking territory and began calling them that as if they were the only people to border non-Igbo-speaking territory. As if the concept of Igbo as a nation even existed back then!

To me, it seems like you're trying hard to stick on to your belief. Fine. You already made up your mind long before this conversation started.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 27, 2013
ChinenyeN:

I understand the point Chinenye is making here. Only very few communities travelled far distances. And because the number was so little, the impact wasn't really that much especially in areas far removed.

In the 1960s, Agukwu-Nri's population was put at 12,000. Awka's population in the mid-19th century was put at 18,000. These were people who travelled widely. But I think their respective populations were rather small relative to the areas they covered.

Let's say that out of the 18,000 Awka people, 4,000 were young men fit for travelling, the rest being women, old men, children and Ifite-Awka farmers who didn't travel like the rest of the town. Now take thees 4,000 men and spread them across the southeast and the south-south, plus sections of Kogi State. You'll find that the number of them who lived in certain areas would be so small that many people wouldn't even have taken much notice of their presence. Chinenye has probably never heard that there were Awka smiths in Ngwa. There might have been less than 50 Awka smiths in the whole of Ikwerre at any one point in time.

2 Likes

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:07am On Oct 27, 2013
odumchi:

Nwokem,northern Igbo do not know the Okigbo term,not even my aged father who has travelled far and wide.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:11am On Oct 27, 2013
And when did Ubini Ukpabi become the most powerful deity in Igboland ? Odumchi,you are moving too fast. Biko,weli nwayo.

2 Likes

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 27, 2013
In order of importance/ renown:

Ubini Ukpabi of Arochukwu

Agbala of Awka

Igwe-ka-Ala of Umunoha

Kamalu of Ozuzu

Then perhaps Ojukwu of Diobu.

3 Likes

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:15pm On Oct 27, 2013
Well,in order of popularity:

Ogwugwu Nri/Nshi
Ikenga Nshi/Nri.

These aare the only two deities that historians has identified as the most popular deities. Popular because almost all the communities in Igboland and beyond worshipped them.

I am waiting for you to tell me what made UbiniUkpabi the most important and how many communities whorshipped the oracle.

Even the apex Igbo group took her name from the most powerful and famous Nri deity,IKENGA. The group beign AKA-IKENGA. By the way Agbala is another name for Alusi/Deity/Oracle. Try again,mr revisionist!

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:22pm On Oct 27, 2013
As you are revising and distorting Nri history and Importance bear in mind that EKE,Oye,Afor and Nkwo were Nri deities worshipped on four different days. Ask yourself why there is deities on all the Eke,Oye,Afor and Nkwo markets.

These time,put more energy into your revisions.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 27, 2013
U don't understand,

Odumchi was talking about ORACULAR deities, consulted by people from far and wide; not deities that were held in common by large chunks of Igboland (like Ikenga, Ifejioku, Ala/Ana, Eke, Oye etc).

People didn't come from Ijaw or Efik to consult the oracle of Ikenga-Nri, for example. (Ikenga-Nri didn't have an oracle as far as I know). But they came from such places and from throughout Igbo-speaking areas to consult Ubini Ukpabi.

Nke a o sokwu na ife a ga-eji mee argument?
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by ezeagu(m): 1:01pm On Oct 27, 2013
pazienza:

I don't really understand this your post. Was ikwerre aware of northern Igbo groups? Yes. case closed.

I don't think the point is whether they were vaguely aware that a distant people lived to north of them that came to trade, I think it's more so the fact that this interaction wasn't significant enough for there to be wider diplomatic relations and sharing between the groups. Benin traders also came to Bonny, but that doesn't mean much.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? / Burial Ceremony In Yoruba Land / What Does Your Name Mean?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.