Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,855 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:03 PM

ASUU Replies Senator David Mark - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Replies Senator David Mark (2591 Views)

See What The School In David Mark Home Town Looks Like / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Omirigwe Douglas And Others Benefit From Senator David Mark's Scholarships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by danduchi(m): 11:31am On Oct 25, 2013
University lecturers
yesterday replied to Senate
President David Mark's
comments on the 2009 agreement, which
they are asking the Federal Government to
implement.
Mark had said that the government officials
who signed the agreement "did not know their
right from their left" and that the ASUU
officials who negotiated exploited their
ignorance.
The National treasurer of the Academic
Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Dr.
Demola Aremu said President Goodluck
Jonathan was among those who signed the
agreement 2009.
According to Aremu, it took ASUU and the
Federal Government team, led by Mr Gamaliel
Onosode, three years to arrive at the
agreement, so the team knew what they were
going into, adding that it is pretentious for any
top government functionary to claim that the
government negotiating team did not
understand fully what they signed with the
teachers.
He said ASUU went to the negotiation with a
300-page charter, which was reduced to a 60-
page agreement after the union shifted so
much ground on many of its demands and
Jonathan, who was then the Vice President,
asked the government to sign the agreement
after thoroughly going through it for six
months.
Aremu explained that the Federal Government
also came up with a Memorandum of
Understanding (MOU) on the implementation
of the agreement in January last year. He
asked: "So, if anyone assumes that they didn't
know what they were doing in 2009, did they
also not know what they were doing in 2012?"
The union therefore called on the lawmakers
and Nigerians to beg the President to
implement the agreement as begging will not
end the crisis.
"Begging will not bring any solution.
Nigerians should rather beg government to
face this agreement squarely and
implement it. That is where our future
lies," Aremu said, adding that senators could
also cut their allowances and contribute them
to education for the benefit of all citizens.
Also speaking on the issue, the chairman of
ASUU, University of Ibadan (UI) chapter, Dr
Olusegun Ajiboye, Mark's statement that ASUU
will lose public sympathy, if it does not call
off its strike, as "a careless talk" because,
according to him, the Senate has already lost
its credibility among Nigerians over its huge
allowances and its perpetual anti-masses
stance as opposed to the progressives in the
House of Representatives.
He also lashed out at the Vice Chairman of the
Senate Committee on Education, Prof. Sola
Adeyeye, over his comments on why a
professor will demand payment to supervise
postgraduate students, saying people, such as
Adeyeye, ought to keep quiet when
education is being discussed as "his
immediate family members are not in
Nigeria with all his children schooling and
living abroad, using the millions of public
funds being earned by their father in
Nigeria to live large abroad.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Richiez(m): 11:42am On Oct 25, 2013
This is just the beginning
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Fynestboi: 11:45am On Oct 25, 2013
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by rottennaija(m): 11:50am On Oct 25, 2013
this should be on the front page
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Amodsun(m): 12:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
...students neva see anytin,ASUU de fight 4 us d student,and we d student say e dn do,no fight again,call off d strike.nd ASUU no,dey must fight..jst because dem no dey skul bah
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by ayewosa(m): 12:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
Why is he lashing out at Prof . Olusola Adeyeye the man was speaking the truth. And mind you Olusola has been in the academic world for a very long time so he knows how things are run in the tertiary institutions and as well he is well exposed than them. Why will a Professor needs allowance to supervise a postgraduate students thats the number one responsibility of a professor. Is just like teachers requesting allowance to mark exam question papers of the subject they are teaching. that's How ridicule these lecturers can be. That's just one out of many stupid agreement FG went into. I pray FG answers ASUU.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by SlyIg(f): 12:47pm On Oct 25, 2013
I was even having hope that this strike will end this month!

I'm very sure Jonathan who was d then vice president didn't even go through that agreement to see the content before signing it.

No wonder he is a 'committee president' today! Nonsenze ...
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Desric(m): 12:52pm On Oct 25, 2013
ayewosa: Why is he lashing out at Prof . Olusola Adeyeye the man was speaking the truth. And mind you Olusola has been in the academic world for a very long time so he knows how things are run in the tertiary institutions and as well he is well exposed than them. Why will a Professor needs allowance to supervise a postgraduate students thats the number one responsibility of a professor. Is just like teachers requesting allowance to mark exam question papers of the subject they are teaching. that's How ridicule these lecturers can be. That's just one out of many stupid agreement FG went into. I pray FG answers ASUU.
Yes I agree with you 100%, he knows how things work very well and that's why his immediate family is living large abroad on the expense of the Nigerian masses. People like you should even be left to suffer more that is if you are still an undergraduate. If Prof. Adeyeye is too comfortable with situation of things here, then what is his family doing abroad? Bloody hypocrites. Even David Mark, he is among those who have left Nigeria in this dungeon, I think its time for him to retire and either stay abroad or keep quite when National Progressive issues are being discussed because he is either a Progressive or does he have any meaningful contribution to move the Nation forward. Think Gen. Sen, David Bonaventure Mark, think anti-people policies.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by richybanky(m): 12:57pm On Oct 25, 2013
Source
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by airclipse(m): 2:26pm On Oct 25, 2013
Front page tinz
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by sambas: 2:38pm On Oct 25, 2013
richybanky: Source
OGTV
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
Shoeless Jona has always been a dunce right from the start...(no wonder he always gets second place n only happens to be promoted by chance).
So after taking 6 months to go through an ordinary agreement paper, this man now comes here, behaving as if he has never seen or heard of this agreement before, n begging for ASUU to shift grounds...this man must take us for fools
SMFDH..
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by sambas: 3:46pm On Oct 25, 2013
blogger1.0:
Shoeless Jona has always been a dunce right from the start...(no wonder he always gets second place n only happens to be promoted by chance).
So after taking 6 months to go through an ordinary agreement paper, this man now comes here, behaving as if he has never seen or heard of this agreement before, n begging for ASUU to shift grounds...this man must take us for fools
SMFDH..
source
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Nobody: 4:17pm On Oct 25, 2013
They studied 60 page' agreement for six months and still "do not know their right from the left"? Dunce confirmed!!!
GEJ should have set up a committee to study the agreements before signing it, cos im own no dey pass committee.
FG should should honour dis agreements and stop begging for God sake.
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by nato14(f): 4:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
Hmmmm!
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by AlPicapcI(m): 4:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
THIS SH*T IS ABOUT TO GET REAL....i have been postponing my leave cos of my final exam and yet nothing!!! make i go rest jooor.
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 25, 2013
these senators lack the locus standi to question lecturers on morals. this is nice stuff@ OP, thanks for bringing it to the fore.
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by mayorall(m): 5:18pm On Oct 25, 2013
ASUU won't call off this strike if FG refused to implement the agreement. They knew the agreement would be buried forever if Jonathan lose in 2015.
The only solution is the dumb NLC for now since strike is the only language FG understood. Osho baba, we are missing you. Please command your former boys from your office at Benin o. We are tired
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Nobody: 5:37pm On Oct 25, 2013
'Gen. Sen. David Bonaventure Mark', our senate presid. nor get native name. Abi he dey hide am?
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by femi2131: 5:39pm On Oct 25, 2013
If high time FG honour the agreement and stop all this shit....my question is this will this lecturers begin to behave well after the money as been paidmost of all this lecturers are not working for the little funds they earn...imagine the ways a which the student is insulted in their offices....ASUU we are behind una now....come to class and start rubbish una go hear am......I swear!!!!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 25, 2013
Will this make ASUU call off the strike
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by orji63(m): 6:01pm On Oct 25, 2013
ASUU should make the agreement public so that the civil society can go through and reson if their so called demands are in the interest of the populace or for their selfish end.This is Niger anything is possible.Let's have the content of the agreement in the public dormain for social discourse to know if their demand is right or not!
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Mikkydo(m): 7:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
May God help us. Dis is a country where d ruler and d ruled are possesed with corruption. I support neither Fg nor ASUU cos dey ar both engulfed by averice.
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Nobody: 7:21pm On Oct 25, 2013
NURTW is more respected than ASUU now. Tokyo(the Oyo state motor park leader) is more honourable than Nasir faggae and his band of brigands.
Nigerians are wiser and have come to understand ASUU for what they are. National Assembly and the FG are not any better. Very soon, my people shall rise against their oppressors.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by 3ace(m): 8:45pm On Oct 25, 2013
Okay o, we're watching. That hypocritical professor, was he not also collecting same allowance when he was a lecturer? Anyway, na FG football club hin dey now so make hin dey attack hin former club, ASUU.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Rhemar(m): 9:06pm On Oct 25, 2013
Whatever made the govt to go into dat agreement to the point of signing it should also make them implement it; except if they'll say they were forced to sign d agreement which I know was neva d case
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by MaziOmenuko: 9:25pm On Oct 25, 2013
The four months will be a waste if this strike is suspended without the demands met! Strike goes on until we reach a logical conclusion; since this is the only language the government understands.

Good response to Prof Adeleye at the senate. It won't be a bad idea to enact a law that prohibits politicians from sending their children abroad for studies.

Nonsense!

Aluta continua!
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by MaziOmenuko: 9:27pm On Oct 25, 2013
utumunta: NURTW is more respected than ASUU now. Tokyo(the Oyo state motor park leader) is more honourable than Nasir faggae and his band of brigands.
Nigerians are wiser and have come to understand ASUU for what they are. National Assembly and the FG are not any better. Very soon, my people shall rise against their oppressors.

Carry your NURTW mentality park one side joor! We've seen the agreement and believes its a blueprint for developing the education sector.
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 25, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: The four months will be a waste if this strike is suspended without the demands met! Strike goes on until we reach a logical conclusion; since this is the only language the government understands.

Good response to Prof Adeleye at the senate. It won't be a bad idea to enact a law that prohibits politicians from sending their children abroad for studies.

Nonsense!

Aluta continua!
hmmm don't you think even these ASUU guys have their own children overseas?? I think this strike is politically instigated and not because of the right reason.....
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by MaziOmenuko: 9:32pm On Oct 25, 2013
ayewosa: Why will a Professor needs allowance to supervise a postgraduate students thats the number one responsibility of a professor.

Do you realize that senators are paid for each sitting; even after paying them their normal allowances? Do you also know that they are paid wardrobe allowance, security allowance and so on even after paying them their normal salary? Do you realise that the president budgets N1 bill for feeding even after paying him a salary higher than that of any other president in the world?

Park well joor!
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by MaziOmenuko: 10:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
Elliotwiz1: hmmm don't you think even these ASUU guys have their own children overseas?? I think this strike is politically instigated and not because of the right reason.....

Still waiting for you to clarify this comment of yours to me...

Elliotwiz1: i have a personal issue with you, stay off my track, don't put your life in danger
Re: ASUU Replies Senator David Mark by Nobody: 12:03am On Oct 26, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Still waiting for you to clarify this comment of yours to me...

hey, It's nothing personal, just in the spirit of fun cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

OKOPOLY 2014/2015 Post UTME Application / Sad! Nigerian Student Commit Suicide Over Poor Result / Btw Dentistry Nd Medicine,whc Z Mor Tougher Nd Whc Has A Higher Employment Rate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.