Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! (13592 Views)

Banks To Shut Down ATMs Over Fuel Scarcity / First Bank Uyo Shut Down As A Result Of Juju (pics) / First Bank To Shut Operations For 5 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by inspire101(m): 7:59pm On Oct 26, 2013
If what I read on their site is anything to go by, then…Google trader Nigeria will start winding down its operations come November 11, 2013.

Google Trader will no longer be available for posting new listings, or reposting existing listings effective November 11, 2013. Listings will remain active on Google Trader provided they have not expired. To learn more, visit the help page

[url]http://support.google.com/trader/answer/3462984?hl=en [/url]

Strange things happen everywhere and businesses are not in anyway insulated from these…What amazes me anyway is that Free Classified Ads and Listing sites have been shutting down lately without any “reasonably explanation” to this.

The first blow that hit us came from our very own Nairalist (Seun is in the best position to answer)

Kalahari Nigeria went down quietly in an unceremonous manner

It was followed by Dealfish (Swallowed up by OLX)

Then Mocality Nigeria (They claimed they were not making money)

Now…the Almighty Googletrader will be buried in a few days!

The question on everyones’ mind is “who is next”?

What is the cause of these untimely deaths? grin

For aspiring start-ups (Classified ads and listing biz model): What is your hope? sad

Question to those who are still alive:
1). Is there something you guys can see that “Almighty Google” and the rest didn’t see….especially OLX that is pumping plenty money into this business model?

2). The last and most important question to those who are still alive….What lessons is Vconnect, tradestable, OLX and the rest of them willing to learn from all these fallen heroes?

I’m just thinking aloud…. undecided

6 Likes

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by naijacutee(f): 8:12pm On Oct 26, 2013
I don't know, I think it's a difficult area to monetize, and perhaps profits don't come quickly. I think anyone who wants to succeed in this area should be willing to spend a lot advertising through various channels for a length of time, before even dreaming of breaking even. Also, the Internet penetration in Nigeria isn't quite there yet, I don't think.
Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 26, 2013
Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by valdes00(m): 10:56pm On Oct 26, 2013
Hmm
Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by AboveSOSO: 10:57pm On Oct 26, 2013
Contribution..?
Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by pstdre(m): 10:59pm On Oct 26, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by skyscraperTM(m): 11:04pm On Oct 26, 2013
Click like if you want MTN to liquidate.

34 Likes

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by anomsodi(m): 11:05pm On Oct 26, 2013
Abeg dis ur information is incomplete at least u shuld hav explain wots google trader is all abt wit simple english so de readers wil comprehend..

3 Likes

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by Nikapetrelli(f): 11:06pm On Oct 26, 2013
Nigerians r not used to it,so it will take tym,which i think Olx n d rest of dem ain't got to spare
Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by ifebosco: 11:09pm On Oct 26, 2013
we some time

1 Like

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by ifebosco: 11:10pm On Oct 26, 2013
anomsodi: Abeg dis ur information is incomplete at least u shuld hav explain wots google trader is all abt wit simple english so de readers wil comprehend..
use google to learn about it,don´t be a lazy mind

19 Likes

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by NnamdiN: 11:11pm On Oct 26, 2013
anomsodi: Abeg dis ur information is incomplete at least u shuld hav explain wots google trader is all abt wit simple english so de readers wil comprehend..
when I see threads like, ''Mrs SSS on the cover of one nonnsense magazine'' or ''Omotola or Genevieve, who rocked it it better'' I NEVER EVER click it

Got my point? grin

11 Likes

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by oraclefemi(m): 11:12pm On Oct 26, 2013
I just posted an assignment in relation to situations like this on my tumblr page, please do take some time to read it, it is called Emerging Digital Media Trends “Joining The Band Wagon”
http://femishine.tumblr.com/post/65151402634/emerging-digital-media-trends-joining-the-band-wagon

1 Like

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 26, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
Click like if you want MTN to liquidate.
click like if you think this dude is foolish gringrin

41 Likes

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by Bsmartt(m): 11:14pm On Oct 26, 2013
market analysis and performance index should be given more priority. #myopinion

1 Like

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by Jeffex(m): 11:21pm On Oct 26, 2013
Imagine your computer, smart phone or any other internet device pays YOU simply for using it. Imagine a business where you have nothing to buy, nothing to sell and there is no job to do. for more info visit this thread link https://www.nairaland.com/1351349/imagine-mobile-phone-smart-phone
Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by AbuMikey(m): 11:22pm On Oct 26, 2013

Awon Yahoo boys don make life taya dem gringrin

6 Likes

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by Nobody: 11:25pm On Oct 26, 2013
How does that BUSINESS in Nigeria
Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by scribble: 11:43pm On Oct 26, 2013

GoogleTrader is a magical place where ASUU doesnt strike and children are allowed to school

7 Likes

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by martindgre: 11:45pm On Oct 26, 2013
Failure does not happen at the end but in the beginning, that means failure can be predicted before one starts a journey.

Most of this model is not applicable in Nigeria no one pays for what he can get for free.

Most of this online business was idea brought in by someone quite different from the one financing.

90% of web designers are just designers and not business men, while 80% of business men can't design.

The're a way to survive it, until the realise the internet is a game played in brand the will continue to fail.

Why will a company promote a domain name bought with 1500 with ten million naira or more that's dumb thinking. Anyway since its a game I keep my card to my chest regards Martin

4 Likes

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by adebayogates(m): 11:50pm On Oct 26, 2013
Ogbeche77: click like if you think this dude is foolish gringrin
he's not foolish, he's just close to liquidity

3 Likes

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by shaiguy(m): 11:52pm On Oct 26, 2013
i personally think Google Trader was designed to get Nigerians online. Now that they feel they have done this, they are stepping down
Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by smart134: 11:54pm On Oct 26, 2013
God help NiaJa
Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by mike404(m): 11:55pm On Oct 26, 2013
I DON ALREADY PORT GO OLX SINCE...... SELL IT grin

2 Likes

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by unmask: 11:57pm On Oct 26, 2013
Security of purchase.... Nigerians are still skeptical about buying and paying for things from strangers..... Guess it's the dishonesty thing again

Easier to trust the devil than a Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by iamswizz(m): 11:58pm On Oct 26, 2013
Its very simple...

Top free ad sites like Avito.ru, balcao.com, and many more spend millions promoting their services..

This is exactly what Olx.com is doing in Nigeria.. And trust me, they wont fold up..

Also Tradestable cant fold up too, cause its owned by the owners of Balcao.com, yapo.cl, segundamano.es, tutti.ch, etc.
Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by nairamaverick(m): 12:01am On Oct 27, 2013
i wuld like to hear pples candid opinions as my colleagues and I are workin on a similar project. www.droparena.com

Thank you.
Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by Proffdada: 12:14am On Oct 27, 2013
I guess because it stinks with scammers

3 Likes

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by ludot(m): 12:15am On Oct 27, 2013
The first mistake most start-ups make is thinking they will be successful overnight. It took Almighty Amazon an average of 6 years to break even and that was an era when so many dot-com companies went burst. At that time online business was in its infancy.

Online business is at its infancy at the moment in Nigeria and a lot of these online businesses will go burst.

For any startup I will recommend that they focus more on building value than making money in their first few years. While doing that spend as little as possible on marketing and let your business grow organically. Make use of digital marketing that cost next to nothing and monitor to see if people are using your service.

Reduce unnecessary overhead and cost.
Have a marketing budget and stick to it.

Above all market research is key! Do people want/need what you are offering? Are there cheaper, more convenient, safer alternatives to what you are offering?

Don't just start an online because everyone is doing it. That an online business is successful in another country does not mean it will be successful in Nigeria. You need to adapt yours to the Nigerian market. Even car manufacturers will tell you that their cars are made for the Nigerian roads. Even though Internet penetration may still be low in Nigeria but there is a rising number of people getting on the Web and that is because of smartphones. Majority of NairaLanders own a smartphone and many more are still buying. Mobile commerce is the future of internet business in Nigeria.

12 Likes

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by SELFWORTH: 12:25am On Oct 27, 2013
Starting a new business and sustaining it takes years and years of hard slog. It is hard work and no reward for the first few years. Nigerians like quick get rich schemes and have no spirit of perseverance.

No business can be super successful overnight and until many so called nigerian entrepreneurs understand this they won't last long.
Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by Nobody: 12:29am On Oct 27, 2013
Proffdada: I guess because it stinks with scammers

That is all there is to it. Same applies to OLX and the rest. More than half of all advertisements are cheap scams. It diminishes the credibility of the site, and therefore affects profitability.

1 Like

Re: Googletrader Nigeria To Shut-down By November 11 2013!!! by justlanreaji: 12:58am On Oct 27, 2013
News!!! Just loaded and free of charge. Contact 232E12C2 now get more details
If you are interested in
Guide to Become a Bakery Owner 
- Guide to Become a Bar Owner 
- Guide to Become a Bookstore Owner 
- Guide to Become a Cleaning Business Owner
- Guide to Become a Gift Basket Business Owner 
- Guide to Become a Gift Shop Owner 
Guide to Become a Restaurant Owner 
Guide to Become a Social Entrepreneur

then let's get started.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BUA Cement Declares Profit Of ₦95 Billion For Full Year, 2020 / 5 Benefits Of Being An Entrepreneur / Small Scale Paint Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.