Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries (10268 Views)

Cattle Spotted On BRT Lane In Lagos (Photos) / Lamata BRT Bus Kills Man At CMS Bridge (Graphics Pictures) / Cows On BRT Lane In Ikorodu Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by awodman: 9:04pm On Oct 26, 2013
Commuters in Lagos, western Nigeria, were stranded,
Saturday morning, when workers with the Bus Rapid
Transit, BRT scheme refused to work as they protested
their unpaid salaries.

The commuters, who expected to board the bus after the
monthly sanitation, were left to bemuse their fate when the boarding points at Ketu and Ojota bus stops were empty.

Findings revealed that the ticketers and drivers refused to work as their salary for last month had not been paid-a situation which they are not used to.

The ticketers and bus drivers met with their bosses at their Ketu office and efforts made by our correspondent to get the management to talk, proved futile as the
correspondent was bundled out of the park and his
recording device seized.

However, two of the drivers who later spoke on the
condition of anonymity, accused a senior staff of cutting
their earnings.

According to one of the drivers who claimed to be a senior
staff,”since this man came on board, things have changed drastically. He has kept making promises which he has never kept for once. Our salary was always paid on the twenty-fifth of the month but now, we are yet to get our salaries.

“We used to get eight tins of milk monthly before he came but presently, we don’t get any and there isn’t any
explanation for this.

“The leadership has not also told the truth about our salary because we earn just N45,000 as against the N75,000 that outsiders have been made to believe”.

www.ynaija.com/brt-workers-go-on-strike-to-protest-unpaid-salaries/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by Longeria(m): 9:15pm On Oct 26, 2013
EKO don baje oooo

I dey laaaaaaaaaaaaffffff

12 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by awodman: 9:43pm On Oct 26, 2013

“The leadership has not also told the truth about
our salary because we earn just N45,000 as against
the N75,000 that outsiders have been made to
believe”.
The rest is going to Tinubu's account..you guys should take heart,You know APC needs alot of fund to successfully pursue this Anambara Governorship

14 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by sCun: 9:51pm On Oct 26, 2013
Shows how different the real world is from Nairaland. I am sure the workers are mostly Yoruba, but that didn't stop them from protesting against this injustice.

13 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by ifyalways(f): 9:52pm On Oct 26, 2013
awodman:
The rest is going to Tinubu's account..you guys should take heart,You know APC needs alot of fund to successfully pursue this Anambara Governorship
Are you trying to be mischievous,injecting Anambra politics into this ?

@Topic,I love the fact that they boycotted work,stood for their rights. Seems its just Ketu/Ojota route drivers?

Btw most of these buses are operated by franchise so it might not be the state owning them after all.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by alotofgrace(m): 10:16pm On Oct 26, 2013
just wan mont? got to abia
Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by AZeD1(m): 12:32am On Oct 27, 2013
awodman:
The BRT blue buses are run by the union not the Government. Common sense ain't really common.

11 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by gramci: 6:56am On Oct 27, 2013
awodman:

Tinubu the tax collector and fashole the willing accomplice

4 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by dridowu: 7:48am On Oct 27, 2013
A-ZeD:

The BRT blue buses are run by the union not the Government. Common sense ain't really common.
some pple problem is Tinubu. Thanks 4 telling dm d truth

7 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by greatgod2012(f): 8:08am On Oct 27, 2013
But sincerely, when are we going to get to the real accountability level in this country, ordinary #45,000 that is not even enough for them to take care of their family, they refuse to pay them on time, and we all know that this people have families to cater for, na wa o. I really support them for fighting for their right, let them be paid their salary, then work continues.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 27, 2013
One of their leaders is probably the one embezzling the cash.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by Dannylux: 9:32am On Oct 27, 2013
Is strike really the remedy to Nigerian problems? this is becoming embarrassing!! Every Body in Nigeria is resorting to strike action. pitiful.
Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 27, 2013
Fashola! Even you? shocked
Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by fyneguy: 9:40am On Oct 27, 2013
ifyalways: Are you trying to be mischievous,injecting Anambra politics into this ?

@Topic,I love the fact that they boycotted work,stood for their rights. Seems its just Ketu/Ojota route drivers?

Btw most of these buses are operated by franchise so it might not be the state owning them after all.

Yes the Blue buses are run by NURTW. The State govt gave them the franchise. The govt intervened on several occasions. I think NURTW may lose the franchise because they were queried the last time.
Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by Jboy5050(m): 9:40am On Oct 27, 2013
With all d good work they are doing,no paymentsis unfair of lagos state govt.
Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by ikeyman00(m): 9:42am On Oct 27, 2013
@@@

oduduwa thiefunu lito styleeeeeeee

yes lagos dey move ooo

1 Like

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by theoctopus: 9:45am On Oct 27, 2013
A-ZeD:

Which unions? Liar! Who doesnt know that Fashola and Tinubu own these companies? You must be high on something
Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by GeneralJ(m): 9:48am On Oct 27, 2013
Uneducated stupid brats, just like to say things without even thinking, ibos and yorubas, matter of fact i'm tired of all of you, why not just take up guns and juju and kill yourself, so that we don't have to hear about this ibo yoruba thing again, today is ibo tomoroww is yoruba, why can't you just be nigerians for fucking once, kill yourself so we don't have to have these tribalist shit going on, what is wrong with this world man. i'm tired of these tribalist people. No single thread can ever be run on this site without somebody blaming ibo or yoruba for thier daily life problems, why not become ghanian or cameroonian so that ibo and yoruba will not be in your life again. i don't understand the reason behind these people man i really don't... what do you gain for making fun of ibos and yorubas, any small thing ahh, you find a way to bring in a tribe into the conversation WHY WHY.. why not just come together for once and become Nigerians, why do you think Nigeria is the way it is today, because people are tribalistic...w hy not just get over the tribal shit...i mean you are all black, you are all africans, you are all Nigerians come together and work together SUTPID morons stop tribalism just FUCKING STOP

24 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by anonimi: 10:00am On Oct 27, 2013
A-ZeD:

So Fashola is no longer the Chief Executive of Lagos STATE at whose desk the buck stops as he is ultimately solely responsible for the good, the bad and the ugly of the state he governs

Dannylux: Is strike really the remedy to Nigerian problems? this is becoming embarrassing!! Every Body in Nigeria is resorting to strike action. pitiful.

Yes!
Expect more strikes as our democracy deepens and the need to reduce the DISTORTION between the pay for those who ACTUALLY work and those who simply receive money as political office holders & jobbers is addressed.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by haulagehandlers(m): 10:00am On Oct 27, 2013
GeneralJ: Uneducated stupid brats, just like to say things without even thinking, ibos and yorubas, matter of fact i'm tired of all of you, why not just take up guns and juju and kill yourself, so that we don't have to hear about this ibo yoruba thing again, today is ibo tomoroww is yoruba, why can't you just be nigerians for fucking once, kill yourself so we don't have to have these tribalist shit going on, what is wrong with this world man. i'm tired of these tribalist people. No single thread can ever be run on this site without somebody blaming ibo or yoruba for thier daily life problems, why not become ghanian or cameroonian so that ibo and yoruba will not be in your life again. i don't understand the reason behind these people man i really don't... what do you gain for making fun of ibos and yorubas, any small thing ahh, you find a way to bring in a tribe into the conversation WHY WHY.. why not just come together for once and become Nigerians, why do you think Nigeria is the way it is today, because people are tribalistic...w hy not just get over the tribal shit...i mean you are all black, you are all africans, you are all Nigerians come together and work together SUTPID morons stop tribalism just FUCKING STOP

I feel your pain,I feel the pain of the country,tribalism is killing us.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by texazzpete(m): 10:12am On Oct 27, 2013
anonimi:

So Fashola is no longer the Chief Executive of Lagos STATE at whose desk the buck stops as he is ultimately solely responsible for the good, the bad and the ugly of the state he governs
Yes!
Expect more strikes as our democracy deepens and the need to reduce the DISTORTION between the pay for those who ACTUALLY work and those who simply receive money as political office holders & jobbers is addressed.

Well, that's one way of looking at it.

Another one is to note that the BRT scheme has been on for over 4 years and the drivers admit in the OP that they are not used to salaries being delayed. In other words, for most of the time, their salaries have been paid promptly on the 25th of every month. I daresay this is better than what happens in many agencies and ministries of the FG's Civil Service. Not sure why Fashola is now being knocked for this by you.

That aside, I fully support their right and decision to strike to press their claims. Salaries are every worker's right...and must be paid as agreed, as at when due. This new 'senior staff' should be probed and brought to book if the allegations are correct.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by texazzpete(m): 10:16am On Oct 27, 2013
GeneralJ: Uneducated stupid brats, just like to say things without even thinking, ibos and yorubas, matter of fact i'm tired of all of you, why not just take up guns and juju and kill yourself, so that we don't have to hear about this ibo yoruba thing again, today is ibo tomoroww is yoruba, why can't you just be nigerians for fucking once, kill yourself so we don't have to have these tribalist shit going on, what is wrong with this world man. i'm tired of these tribalist people. No single thread can ever be run on this site without somebody blaming ibo or yoruba for thier daily life problems, why not become ghanian or cameroonian so that ibo and yoruba will not be in your life again. i don't understand the reason behind these people man i really don't... what do you gain for making fun of ibos and yorubas, any small thing ahh, you find a way to bring in a tribe into the conversation WHY WHY.. why not just come together for once and become Nigerians, why do you think Nigeria is the way it is today, because people are tribalistic...w hy not just get over the tribal shit...i mean you are all black, you are all africans, you are all Nigerians come together and work together SUTPID morons stop tribalism just FUCKING STOP

I support this 100%. This tribalism thing is getting really tiresome, with these immature louts styling themselves 'defenders of their race' and coming here to sow seeds of discord.
If I only I had the power to line them all up and flog some sense into their thick skulls.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by funtanherb(m): 10:27am On Oct 27, 2013
Longeria: EKO don baje oooo

I dey laaaaaaaaaaaaffffff
hope you dont live in lagos ode

1 Like

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by 3ace(m): 10:31am On Oct 27, 2013
Dannylux: Is strike really the remedy to Nigerian problems? this is becoming embarrassing!! Every Body in Nigeria is resorting to strike action. pitiful.
Would you rather have them result to violence?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by leofab(f): 10:39am On Oct 27, 2013
Oh
Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by iamswizz(m): 10:40am On Oct 27, 2013
tribalism exists only on nairaland... Believe me.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by Madawaki01(m): 10:41am On Oct 27, 2013
theoctopus:

Which unions? Liar! Who doesnt know that Fashola and Tinubu own these companies? You must be high on something
ur mumulity no get part 2.

1 Like

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by Brimmie(m): 11:00am On Oct 27, 2013
Awodman No Jus Get Sense!! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by anonimi: 11:07am On Oct 27, 2013
texazzpete:

Well, that's one way of looking at it.

Another one is to note that the BRT scheme has been on for over 4 years and the drivers admit in the OP that they are not used to salaries being delayed. In other words, for most of the time, their salaries have been paid promptly on the 25th of every month. I daresay this is better than what happens in many agencies and ministries of the FG's Civil Service. Not sure why Fashola is now being knocked for this by you.

That aside, I fully support their right and decision to strike to press their claims. Salaries are every worker's right...and must be paid as agreed, as at when due. This new 'senior staff' should be probed and brought to book if the allegations are correct.

What are you saying exactly- salaries should be paid when due or workers should be thankful they have now just being owed for one month unlike what you SUSPECT (but have no proof of) is happening at the multitude of federal government agencies compared to "excellent, progressive" Lagos state
It will be interesting to know how many months salary are owed by the 57 LGAs and LCDAs in Lagos state.

I already pointed out why Fashola is being called to his responsibility in my earlier post. You may want to re-read it.
Shalom.

1 Like

Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by Polio: 11:08am On Oct 27, 2013
Smh ... Embarrassing
Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by Pattey(m): 11:16am On Oct 27, 2013
Comments reserved until the management counters these claims. . . Fight for your rights, but be sure you're actually right. I hope this is resolved soon; Xmas is upon us cheesy

I'm sure our dear hopeless tribalists including even insignificant ones such as slimghost, zeeayinita, Igbo Son and others will only comment on this thread by speaking from an inverted brain point of view.

They'll attack LASG not because they support the workers but to score cheap tribal points.

While the SW they are paranoid about never hesitates to protest against corruption and injustice; condoning it is their watchword. Nay, their own way of life.

May God save their souls.
Re: Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries by AZeD1(m): 11:28am On Oct 27, 2013
anonimi:

No Fashola is not responsible for what happens in a private enterprise
theoctopus:

Yes Tinubu and Fashola also own all the bukas at Surulere and Yaba along with all hair dressing saloons at Oshodi.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Beautiful Nairaland Girls / Lagos Government Launches Mobile Court For Traffic Environmental Offenders / A Christmas Message To Nairalanders By Jasonscoolari.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.