Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,595 members, 7,820,135 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

What Does “akanda”/“akanda Omo” In Yorubaland Mean? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Does “akanda”/“akanda Omo” In Yorubaland Mean? (11277 Views)

Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale / 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does “akanda”/“akanda Omo” In Yorubaland Mean? by Ryabcool(m): 3:08am On Oct 28, 2013
This has been plaguing me since the beginning of this year and has caused me to come seek enlightenment on this forum with the hopes knowledgeable persons in yoruba traditions and cultural values will be able to shed extensive light and thereby broaden my horizon.

Early this year, a close relative came to visit we had a few important discussions. Just as she was leaving, she turned and said "all these things are happening for a reason. The signs are too obvious. Shey o mo pe akanda omo ni e?"... I being poor in yoruba couldn't grasp the meaning but pretended to understand so as not to be seen as dull in front of my other family members. After she had left, I asked an uncle what “Akanda Omo” meant and all he just said was that it means a special person. I didn't find this answer satisfying but I kept shut and didn't prod further.

This leads me to ask the following questions;
1. What does Akanda mean?

2. What are the factors that can make someone be called an Akanda?

3.What relevance does it have upon the life of the person being called Akanda?

4. Is it a good or bad thing?

5. Any stories that could shed more light on it and enable me further grasp?

I sincerely hope my questions would be extensively answered in the shortest possible time. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot...
Re: What Does “akanda”/“akanda Omo” In Yorubaland Mean? by RAPMAN02(m): 5:25am On Oct 28, 2013
Ur uncle is right
Re: What Does “akanda”/“akanda Omo” In Yorubaland Mean? by blackrules1(m): 5:50am On Oct 28, 2013
With my little knowledge, it means someone who has special/rare qualities (by birth). These qualities could be rare talents, sometimes magic/magical.

For example, Sango (yoruba god) was one; one of his qualities was 'spitting out fire'. While Sango was a baby, he spits out smoke whenever he belched after sucking his mother's breassst.
However, Sango as an example is at the extreme.

Fela is also another.
I am also one, 'cos there is no other me. *smiles*

2 Likes

Re: What Does “akanda”/“akanda Omo” In Yorubaland Mean? by Ryabcool(m): 10:34pm On Oct 28, 2013
Thanks guys for the answers. I really appreciate your contributions. But I'm still not satisfied with the answers. I perfectly understood the explanations given about Sango, but I would like a more practical examples about real life people and not deities such as Sango. Questions 2, 3, 4, and 5 haven't been answered yet
Re: What Does “akanda”/“akanda Omo” In Yorubaland Mean? by Ryabcool(m): 7:37am On Oct 29, 2013
Still waiting for a more concise explanation
Re: What Does “akanda”/“akanda Omo” In Yorubaland Mean? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 10, 2017
It's means someone who is different from the usual and whose birth has a divine purpose. You will always stand out from the rest.

It's a very good thing

Your life will basically shine

No factors makes someone such, only God himself knows why he has chosen such people from the rest.

If you are looking at stories, look into the bible at people like Judah, David, Samuel, or even Joseph. They often times face great tribulation before they reach their destined place in life. You see those who have it so good from the start, are bound to fall eventually because they have not seen life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does “akanda”/“akanda Omo” In Yorubaland Mean? by Ryabcool(m): 8:56pm On Nov 10, 2017
Blackfyre:
It's means someone who is different from the usual and whose birth has a divine purpose. You will always stand out from the rest.

It's a very good thing

Your life will basically shine

No factors makes someone such, only God himself knows why he has chosen such people from the rest.

If you are looking at stories, look into the bible at people like Judah, David, Samuel, or even Joseph. They often times face great tribulation before they reach their destined place in life. You see those who have it so good from the start, are bound to fall eventually because they have not seen life.

I'm humbled by your very explanatory response. I appreciate.
Re: What Does “akanda”/“akanda Omo” In Yorubaland Mean? by Ryabcool(m): 5:30am On Apr 19, 2019
smiley

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Pidgin Translation Of Your Native Name? / Book On The Ibibio Culture / Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.