Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim (26016 Views)

Mexico Coach Makes Age-cheating Claim Against Eaglets / Nigeria Vs Iran: Fifa U17 WC (4 - 1) On 29th October 2013 / Nigeria U17 Team List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by ladenz(m): 10:09am On Oct 31, 2013
to further counteract the myopic argument that an average 17 year old cannot be big I can also testify that I used to play basketball with some secondary school boys in a high class private school in Lekki. these boys were in their school's basketball team and naturally the coach selects the biggest and most fit boys to play. these boys knocked me around as if i was a baby and i was at least 10 years older than them. it is very silly to claim a guy is lying just because of his physical appearance. If someone like balotelli grew up in Ghana or Nigeria most people will stupidly claim that he is an age cheat. same can be said of victor moses

1 Like

Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by femi9naija(m): 10:14am On Oct 31, 2013
ashezbrown: well eaglet all the way, bt all dos boz na baba, i tink the younger ones among them will be 22yrs if am nt mistaking, jst imagine ur junior broda of 17yrs at home, u will understand weller.
Shey u wan compare ur brother wey dey munch corn flakes, golden morn and noodles to these players who have been training intensively from u13s. they r truly u17s. at least I know chigozie obasi is a 15 year old ss1 student in Ogun
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by innocentchuks(m): 10:37am On Oct 31, 2013
100ksales.com:
lipsrsealed All our boiz don old jor.. Call a spade a spade.
I you see 17 yr old boy for road most dey small. grin grin

U and ur likes are disgrace to this country those who never appreciate their own,those Swedish with their high an build up u do not see them. I am sure i ur field of endavor u do not have much to offer.
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by femi9naija(m): 10:50am On Oct 31, 2013
illitrate: tell me this mosquito of brazil is 17 angry angry

biggest cheat in this world cup is brazil.
this 1 17? he looks older than my brother who is in his late 20s.
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by dabossman(m): 12:56pm On Oct 31, 2013
nolio: We b 3time champions of dis comptetn but non of d boys eva play 4 madrid,barca,man u,arsenal,chelsea,inter,AC not even celta vigo and u tink say na ordinary. If dese boys are dere tru age, y dont we maintain dem like dis up to super eagles? Luk @ argentina team 2dy,its made up of dat U-17 team from holland 2005 wit d likes of messi,zabaleta, and mascherano in it. Sharawy and neymar are from U-17 2009 for italy and brazil. But pls tel me if u wuld see any of dese boys in super eagles in d nxt 4yr cum 2017. Does it mean dey retire imedi8ly afta U-17?
I rest ma case

So, this argument is still raging. Guy, you only mentioned 3 players from the Argentine U-20 of 2005. I can counter your argument by naming more Nigerians from that tournament who have played/are playing for the Eagles. Taye Taiwo, Elderson Echiejile, Efe Ambrose, Chinedu Obasi, Mikel Obi, late Olufemi Adebayo, Onyekachi Apam and Sani Keita.

Now these Argentines were also part of the team that won that tourney, Gustavo Cabral, Julio Barroso, Lucas Biglia, Pablo Vitti, Patricio Pérez, Emiliano Armenteros, Gabriel Paletta, Nereo Champagne, David Abraham, Rodrigo Archubi, Neri Cardozo, Gustavo Oberman, Lautaro Formica. That is more than half of the winning team. How many of them do you know? How many of them can boast of having more than 10 caps for Argentina at senior level?

Some of you fail to realize that U-17 and U-20 championships occur every two years. That means a pool of at least 42 youth players are thrown up every two years. That is 84 by the time the senior World Cup comes up. Can they all graduate to senior level? The answer is a big NO!

The present first 11 of Nigeria has at least 7 former youth internationals (Ambrose, Omeruo, Echiejile, Mikel, Onazi, Musa, Ideye) from different generations. Go back and look at the Super Eagles over the years, it is the same trend. Our squad to the last World Cup in SA had at least 11 former youth players. Even world champions Spain have players from different generations in it and not just one set.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by Druss(m): 1:49pm On Oct 31, 2013
Why wont the Iranian coach say so when Nigerians are mouthing the same words!! I can even read some idiots on this thread claiming U-17 boys cant play ball. I repeat they are idiots. You fall in with them if you fit with the below

- If you cant accept the fact that something good can come out of this country.
- If you cant believe that Nigerians can excel in anything in the world.
- If you believe that Nigerians can only succeed by cheating.

Then my friend you are an idiot and you should should go and join another country. Tufiakwa that my seed looks down on itself the way some clowns on this board do.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by naptu2: 2:06pm On Oct 31, 2013
Some players that have played for both the Golden Eaglets and the Super Eagles.

Nduka Ugbade, Wilson Oruma, Victor Ikpeba, Nwankwo Kanu, Celestine Babayaro, Jonathan Akpoborie, Mikel Obi, Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi, Mobi Oparaku, Godwin Okpara, Karibe Ojigwe, James Obiorah, Christopher Nwosu, Angus Ikeji, Benedict Akwuegbu, Isaac Promise, Precious Monye, Haruna Lukman, Rabiu Ibrahim, John Zaki, Ogenyi Onazi and Kenneth Omeruo.
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by Greatihex(m): 6:02pm On Oct 31, 2013
ighoosagie: make coach Ali Doustimehr apologize for his comment.

If its sen ted Cruz , u guys would say it's insult to our integrity , just within 10days Nigeria has been labeled for cheating and fraud frm different continent.

This types of comments would be heard continuously inside n outside the country, until we learn to do things right without cheat and fraud.

We all know dat a real 17yrs old in nija can't kick real leather football , more less of shooting the ball from outside d 18yard to get a spectacular goal.

Niger make una dey fear God
. E b lyk say u no play ball 4 ur childhood wey make u dy spewing dis tins.
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by xgziem(m): 6:52pm On Oct 31, 2013
Some guyz wey dey hia jus dey talk trash o @ 17 I dey play ball wit men its seemz na d ajeboz na em full hia guy meet kpako 17 u go kwere
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by francisbiz: 9:56pm On Oct 31, 2013
vincentont:

u are absolutely wrong.at age 15 dis days most of the students are already in ss3.the fact that u finished ur ss3 at the age of 18 might nt be applicable to others.Infact i knew some1 who just graduated recently at age 20, nd if u see him he looks lyk 25yrs old.children of now adays matured rapidly abi u knw knw say a boy of 15ys don dey father a child,even dey sleep wit their teacher of 20 somtin years.i also knew of a girl 12yrs in ss2,if u see her on the road u will ask her out coz she looks much older than her age.
The problem you have is that you have a mindset before reading my contribution, so you did not read to understand.
I said that at at 16 years or 17 years or 18 years one is out of secondary school, and you said that at age 15 most of the students are in secondary schools - SO THEY SHOULD FINISH AROUND AGE 16 WHICH ALSO FALLS INTO MY ARGUMENT.
So how absolutely wrong are we?
Besides you should understand that these are all statistical projections, that does not mean that we dont have few students who finish secondary schools at age 14 or age 20.
Be that as it may, you are not informed about age statistics of students in Nigeria. My projections are very correct in terms of average age of Nigerian primary school and secondary school leavers.
Do more research before you conclude.
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by ladenz(m): 9:24am On Nov 01, 2013
dabossman:

So, this argument is still raging. Guy, you only mentioned 3 players from the Argentine U-20 of 2005. I can counter your argument by naming more Nigerians from that tournament who have played/are playing for the Eagles. Taye Taiwo, Elderson Echiejile, Efe Ambrose, Chinedu Obasi, Mikel Obi, late Olufemi Adebayo, Onyekachi Apam and Sani Keita.

Now these Argentines were also part of the team that won that tourney, Gustavo Cabral, Julio Barroso, Lucas Biglia, Pablo Vitti, Patricio Pérez, Emiliano Armenteros, Gabriel Paletta, Nereo Champagne, David Abraham, Rodrigo Archubi, Neri Cardozo, Gustavo Oberman, Lautaro Formica. That is more than half of the winning team. How many of them do you know? How many of them can boast of having more than 10 caps for Argentina at senior level?

Some of you fail to realize that U-17 and U-20 championships occur every two years. That means a pool of at least 42 youth players are thrown up every two years. That is 84 by the time the senior World Cup comes up. Can they all graduate to senior level? The answer is a big NO!

The present first 11 of Nigeria has at least 7 former youth internationals (Ambrose, Omeruo, Echiejile, Mikel, Onazi, Musa, Ideye) from different generations. Go back and look at the Super Eagles over the years, it is the same trend. Our squad to the last World Cup in SA had at least 11 former youth players. Even world champions Spain have players from different generations in it and not just one set.

the most sensible argument so far. I doff my hat to you and other guys on this thread who made the effort to do some research before arguing.
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by jpphilips(m): 10:20am On Nov 05, 2013
ighoosagie: make coach Ali Doustimehr apologize for his comment.

If its sen ted Cruz , u guys would say it's insult to our integrity , just within 10days Nigeria has been labeled for cheating and fraud frm different continent.

This types of comments would be heard continuously inside n outside the country, until we learn to do things right without cheat and fraud.

We all know dat a real 17yrs old in nija can't kick real leather football , more less of shooting the ball from outside d 18yard to get a spectacular goal.

Niger make una dey fear God

our reputation precede us, but the Iranian coach is a stark illiterate
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by Simonet: 3:17pm On Nov 05, 2013
Personally I look forward to the day when the genuine age of our players will be beyond question.

It will help our football so much.

They should start with an under 10 team. That way it would be more difficult for players to cheat. Then, they must feed the players well for 5 years.

I really don't celebrate our under 17 victories until they produce truly exceptional senior level players, and that can only happen if the players we take to this tournament actually will benefit from 6 years additional experience BEFORE becoming senior players. The absence of this is what is affecting our players careers.

Once a European club suspects you are lying about your age, they relegate you somewhat because for instance you are actually an average 19 year old claiming to be an exceptional 16 year old. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Victory at under 17 should actually never be an end in itself!
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by Simonet: 3:43pm On Nov 05, 2013
And i make the above statement without prejudice to whatever other counties are doing.

The real, Senior world cup actually shows whose football development program is working.

FIFA is partly to blame, they seem to be bribing and pacifying African countries with these age grade cups!!
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by Obi1kenobi(m): 3:59pm On Nov 05, 2013
I was a bit of a terror to all authorities in secondary school. Always in trouble. Always concocting one mischief or the other. I enjoyed being notorious. Right until I got into serious trouble (attracting a week long suspension) for something I didn't commit. And no one - not even my parents - would believe me. It was a life changing experience that heralded a real change in me.

I'm just trying to illustrate the perils of earning a bad reputation for anything. Your integrity would always be questioned - even when it shouldn't. Nigeria has an outstanding winning record in the u-17 competitions that was built on the back of age-cheating. The whole world knew this and we never got any respect for the achievement. So even when we're not guilty of cheating, we're always held in suspicion. It's a natural reaction.

We know ourselves in this country. We're not very strong on ethics: whether in the business place, or politics, or law enforcement, or academics. If we see any way to manipulate or bend or circumvent the rules, we do it. It's ingrained in the Nigerian character to look for unethical shortcuts. Majority of Jambites for example cheat - or attempt to cheat - in one way or the other.

You can be sure that if FIFA hadn't gone scientific to catch age cheats, we'd still be fielding 26-year-olds like Fortune Chukwudi at U-17. The Iranian coach may be wrong in this particular case but I'm sure he's well aware of Nigeria's strong proclivity over the years to bend the rules in these competitions.
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by Simonet: 4:13pm On Nov 05, 2013
@jp phillips. Your signature is on point smiley lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by okunoba(m): 1:04am On Nov 09, 2013
Birth and death certificates registration is compulsery in most countries and this is enforced, so it's not possible for a country like Sweden to field over age players. This is not the case n Nigeria, hence the reason it's so easy to lie about age and get away with it, we simply don't keep these records.
Re: Nigeria U17 Coach Replies Iran Age-cheating Claim by naptu2: 3:51pm On Nov 10, 2013
American golfer Tom Shaw claimed throughout his career on the PGA Tour to have been born on December 13, 1942. He was suspected by some of being older, notably by Frank Hannigan, who as Executive Director of the United States Golf Association paired him with the then-19-year-old Ben Crenshaw and 24-year-old Johnny Miller, both known as fast players, for the first two rounds of the 1971 U.S. Open for his apparent amusement. As it turned out, Hannigan was right; in 1988, Shaw produced a birth certificate proving that he had been born on the same date in 1938, which made him eligible for the Senior PGA Tour (now the Champions Tour) starting with the 1989

The father of UCLA blue chip Shabazz Muhammad was found to be lying about his son’s age:

According to the UCLA men’s basketball media guide, he was born in Los Angeles on Nov. 13, 1993. But a copy of Shabazz Nagee Muhammad’s birth certificate on file with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health shows that he was born at Long Beach Memorial Hospital exactly one year earlier, making him 20 years old — not 19 as widely reported.

How and when he lost a year of his life are unclear. But competing against younger, smaller athletes, particularly in the fast-growing years of early adolescence, can be “a huge edge,” said Eddie Bonine, executive director of the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Assn. “People naturally look at the big, strong kids.”

Asked about the discrepancy, Holmes insisted his son was 19 and born in Nevada. “It must be a mistake,” he said. Several minutes later, he changed his account, saying that his son is, in fact, 20 and was born in Long Beach.

But the story details how Holmes has always believed he’d be the father of professional athletes, and there’s no denying a year advantage over competitors growing up can be a huge advantage, and that a 19-year-old Muhammad is more attractive to NBA scouts than a 20-year-old Muhammad, if only slightly. Either way, the most interesting thing is that Holmes lied initially, initially lied when he got caught and then seemingly tried to bribe the Los Angeles Times writer. His name is Ken Bensinger.

It makes you wonder how many paid athletes were ‘redshirted’ by their parents.  And of that subset, how many of those kids’ ages were falsely lowered in order to make them seem like they have greater long-term upside.  This is just a really easy way to make the kid look better than he is and to build buzz.  All you need is a parent or guardian who is willing to go to that length to pull it off.

Sports academic Dave Berri has looked into the relationship between age and draft position for the NBA.  He found that each extra year decreases draft position by six places.  I’m assuming that his analysis controlled for statistical output and that he was purely measuring age.

One of the top basketball recruits from the D.C. area claims to be 18, but some documents show that he may be 20.  He’s African and the cousin of NBA player Serge Ibaka.  You’ll see a lot of this stuff from international players in basketball and soccer and the Dominicans and Puerto Ricans in baseball.  Youth is valuable.

For further reading on Muhammad and his father, check out Joe Nocera’s New York Times piece on NCAA sanctions against Muhammad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UK Paper Names Kelechi Iheanacho ''Europe's Deadllest Striker'' / I want to win AFCON for Stephen Keshi - Musa / Arsenal To Return To Training Next Week But Players Will Train Individually

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.