Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,730 members, 7,809,800 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike (1617 Views)

Imo State University Embarks On Strike After Convocation Ceremony / UK Lecturers Embark On A 1-day Strike / UK Lecturers Embark On A Day Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Vuvuzzela: 10:46am On Oct 31, 2013
Oh so lecturers go on strike overseas especially in the UK? Could this be ASUU - UK branch?

Universities across the UK face disruption from a one-day walkout by lecturers and support staff who say their pay has failed to keep up with rising living costs.

The University and College Union says it will affect 149 institutions, in a joint action with Unison and Unite.

The unions have rejected a pay offer of 1%, which they say represents a 13% pay cut in real terms since 2009.

University employers predict the strike will cause a "low level of impact".

But the unions say that universities will face the "most widespread disruption for years".

Universities have been warning students there might be some cancellations of classes and that some facilities, such as libraries, could be closed.

Sally Hunt, general secretary of the lecturers' University and College Union (UCU), accused universities of giving high salaries to the most senior staff while refusing to give the majority of staff rises to keep up with rising living costs.

She said: "Our employers had a combined surplus last year of more than £1.1bn yet were prepared to offer a pay rise which covered barely one-third of the increased cost of living."

There was a 35% turnout in the UCU strike ballot, with 62% voting in favour of strike action.

Unison's head of higher education, Jon Richards, accused university managements of "sitting on record surpluses, splashing out on senior management pay but refusing to give a decent wage to the staff who have made UK universities some of the best in the world"

The Universities and Colleges Employers Association (UCEA) says it is disappointed at the rejection of the pay offer.

A UCEA spokesman, speaking ahead of the strike, said that less than 5% of the higher education workforce had chosen to vote for strike action.

He said that "salary costs in most HE institutions will actually rise by around 3% this year".

he spokesman said that as well as the 1% increase many staff will also get incremental increases and merit awards.

"These pay increases will be seen as generous by many looking into the sector," he said.

A spokesman for the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills said: "We are disappointed that the unions have decided in favour of industrial action. Students have the right to expect that their learning will not be disrupted by such action."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24748112
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 31, 2013
First to comment.

*modified*
Thank God, oh. No be for only Naija. UK get ASUU too.
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by eduson33(m): 11:02am On Oct 31, 2013
no be them teach us
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Nobody: 11:02am On Oct 31, 2013
Chiamaka01: First to comment.

*modified*

And they will be criticising GEJ, now. mtcheew. Fresh Air Till 2019, joor.
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by wasak(m): 11:07am On Oct 31, 2013
booked
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Davo93(m): 11:23am On Oct 31, 2013
Its quite unfortunate that some Nigerian students seems to be relieved by this news saying "thank God it is not only in Nigeria that academic calendars are distrupted". Something caught my attention in that report;

...But the unions say that universities will face the "most widespread disruption for years".
Considering what was earlier stated as the nature of the strike; "disruption from a one-day walkout by lecturers and support staff who say their pay has failed to keep up with rising living costs". Just a single day and ASUU will be celebrating her 4 months old strike soon.

Nigerians, let us think!!! ASUU is not helping us in any way.

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by opylas(m): 11:33am On Oct 31, 2013

*modified*
Thank God!? So itz ohw-k 4 ASUU to go on strike provided other foreign lecturers do same?? Nawa unto u o bros
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by opylas(m): 11:35am On Oct 31, 2013
opylas:
Thank God!? So itz ohw-k 4 ASUU to go on strike provided other foreign lecturers do same?? Nawa unto u o bros
Oh, u'r a gurl
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Richiez(m): 11:36am On Oct 31, 2013
This isn't going down well at all
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by tsleazy(m): 11:40am On Oct 31, 2013
Hahahahahahaha.....no be only 9ja, now where are ASUU haters that say "ASUU are very wicked, and care only abt themselves", what can y'all say abt uk lecturers huh ?
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by ULSHERLAN(m): 12:08pm On Oct 31, 2013
Chiamaka01:

And they will be criticising GEJ, now. mtcheew. Fresh Air Till 2019, joor.
U call that fresh air? See what ur using to judge GEJ. Well what do I expect from someone who is biased
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by bionicdude(m): 12:15pm On Oct 31, 2013
u guyz saying dat it is not only naija so we should thank God.since them dey kill pple abroad and they continue to kill for naija make we thank God coz no be only us.to me datz an ar.s.e thinking and am sure dose saying dat Poo are not even students

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by ogagusps3: 12:17pm On Oct 31, 2013
booked
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by wasak(m): 12:25pm On Oct 31, 2013
tsleazy: Hahahahahahaha.....no be only 9ja, now where are ASUU haters that say "ASUU are very wicked, and care only abt themselves", what can y'all say abt uk lecturers huh ?
shut that gutter... ur post smells of arrant foolishness and inconceivable stupidity... crap!!!

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by drered(m): 1:37pm On Oct 31, 2013
Ok
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 31, 2013
Davo93: Its quite unfortunate that some Nigerian students seems to be relieved by this news saying "thank God it is not only in Nigeria that academic calendars are distrupted". Something caught my attention in that report;

Considering what was earlier stated as the nature of the strike; "disruption from a one-day walkout by lecturers and support staff who say their pay has failed to keep up with rising living costs". Just a single day and ASUU will be celebrating her 4 months old strike soon.

Just what I was about to type.. They are going on strike for just a day even though their grievances are genuine.
ASUU should take a cue from that...
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by ayoyori(m): 10:50pm On Oct 31, 2013

*modified*
chiamaka u re hia again
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by peter1994(m): 12:23am On Nov 01, 2013
Oboy yeah# dia own ma na 2009 tins
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by okeke2: 1:44am On Nov 01, 2013
mtcheww am sure dey will resolve it very quick. You think dey r like us??
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by tsleazy(m): 6:41am On Nov 01, 2013
wasak:
shut that gutter... ur post smells of arrant foolishness and inconceivable stupidity... crap!!!
all ryte u dnt love ur country, well....my own nigeria is peaceful, progressive, Godfearing, and the place where im going to make it....its up to you to decide. Curse, complain, blast ur country if u like, but Oga its ur country. bless, pray and prophecy into ur country, its all down to you.
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by tsleazy(m): 6:44am On Nov 01, 2013
Davo93: Its quite unfortunate that some Nigerian students seems to be relieved by this news saying "thank God it is not only in Nigeria that academic calendars are distrupted". Something caught my attention in that report;

one question !!
If ASUU walks out or strikes for one day, do u think Fg will answer them ?
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 01, 2013
oluafolabi:

Just what I was about to type.. They are going on strike for just a day even though their grievances are genuine.
I take it you don't think ASUU 's grievances are genuine?
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by tsleazy(m): 8:47am On Nov 01, 2013
Bludeville:
GBAM !!! ... This guy doesnt knw how horrible some hostels are...
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by wasak(m): 9:17am On Nov 01, 2013
and u think ASUU is concerned about ur hostels? I pity you
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Davo93(m): 10:23am On Nov 01, 2013
tsleazy: one question !!
If ASUU walks out or strikes for one day, do u think Fg will answer them ?
Thanks for your question. In the first place, what makes you think strike is the right approach to the problems rocking our universities? I believe if strike should be used at all, it should be the 'LAST' tool in the arsenal of the aggreived teachers. Do you doubt the UK government wading into this isuue very fast to resolve it? You shouldn't, because they are not used to that 'last tool' unlike our very own ASUU here that has turned incessant strikes to joyous avenues to punish Nigerian students to agitate for THEIR welfare package improvement. The simple point i am making here is that, the lack of fast response to ASUU's strike from their employer is not unconnected to the incessant use of what is meant to be their strongest tool.
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Nobody: 10:44am On Nov 01, 2013
Bludeville:

Nigeria's ASUU strike has gone far beyond reason!.. No where else in the world will sane workers down their tools for that long in the education sector. They have lost every iota of public sympathy they once had when the strike begun...
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 01, 2013
oluafolabi:

Nigeria's ASUU strike has gone far beyond reason!.. No where else in the world will sane workers down their tools for that long in the education sector. They have lost every iota of public sympathy they once had when the strike begun...
I take it you are a student ( I am one too although postgraduate) and everytime I walk into an overcrowded classroom, I am filled with anger. Everytime I have to improvise in my practical classes, I am filled with dismay. Everytime my friends in foreign universities send me photos of their schools and their lab's and when we try to discuss and I realise how further ahead of us here in Nigeria they are, I shed tears. I have followed the ASUU strike from the beginning, I have done my research instead of relying on propaganda and blackmail that the government has used to fill the air. I know exactly what ASUU is asking for. If there is the slightest chance that this would work and improve the universities even slightly so that other students after me would have a decent chance at a better education, then I say Ride on ASUU. I'm not just looking for a paper qualification, I want a real education. You should look beyond the delay in getting that paper qualificatio. This labour market you are rushing to join won't be going anywhere. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Nobody: 11:47am On Nov 01, 2013
=))º°˚˚˚°ºнaĦaнaº°˚˚˚°º​=))

so even UK lecturers can go on strike....

if they can go for 1 day, naija lectures av d right to go for 365 days, cos d standard in uk in farrrrrr better dan naija.

grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Nobody: 11:48am On Nov 01, 2013
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Hearme(m): 12:54pm On Nov 01, 2013
oluafolabi:

When 4month strike does not move our leadership, what will be the effect of one day strike? You will see the response of the UK government, especially the parliament on these one day strike as if all hell has been let loose because they know the value of education.
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Davo93(m): 1:10pm On Nov 01, 2013
Bludeville: ... I have followed the ASUU strike from the beginning, I have done my research instead of relying on propaganda and blackmail that the government has used to fill the air. I know exactly what ASUU is asking for. If there is the slightest chance that this would work and improve the universities even slightly so that other students after me would have a decent chance at a better education, then I say Ride on ASUU.
If i may ask please, what gives you the conviction that ASUU's primary aim is to salvage the sector rather than what i believe which is the fight for their pocket?
Re: UK Universities Embarks On a One-day Strike by Davo93(m): 1:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
--

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Will Neco Marking Starts / Change Of Course For Direct Entry / No 1 University In The Country: Undergraduates Enjoy Free Ride Day N Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.