Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,506 members, 7,958,528 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:28 PM

How Many Litres Of ATF Do I Require? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Many Litres Of ATF Do I Require? (12522 Views)

Is ATF Oil The Same As Power Steering Fluid? / How Many Litres Of Fuel Should/can A Nissan Micra Consumes Per Kilomitre ?'. / What Kind Of Transmission Fluid (ATF) Should I Use? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Litres Of ATF Do I Require? by vitality22(m): 4:43pm On Oct 31, 2013
I've asked this question severally and yet, no satisfactory answer yet.
Auto gurus in the house kindly help a brother in need, I took my Nissan xterra 2001 for ATF change, and surprisingly, my mechanic said i need 7 litres of the ATF (OANDO dexron 111). I felt it was too much.
Please, how many litres of this ATF do I need for the ATF change? I will be changing the filter too.
Kindly help a brother in need.
Thanks a bunch
Re: How Many Litres Of ATF Do I Require? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 31, 2013
vitality22: I've asked this question severally and yet, no satisfactory answer yet.
Auto gurus in the house kindly help a brother in need, I took my Nissan xterra 2001 for ATF change, and surprisingly, my mechanic said i need 7 litres of the ATF (OANDO dexron 111). I felt it was too much.
Please, how many litres of this ATF do I need for the ATF change? I will be changing the filter too.
Kindly help a brother in need.
Thanks a bunch
You probably do not need more than 5.5 litres. Use the dipstick for appropriate measurements. Here's what your manual says:
The fluid level should be checked using the HOT range on the dipstick after the following conditions have been met:
— The engine should be warmed up to operating temperature.
— The vehicle should be driven at least 5 minutes.
— The ATF should be warmed to between 122 and 176°F (50 and 80°C).
The ATF can be checked at fluid temperatures of 86 to 122°F (30 to 50°C) using the COLD range on the dipstick after the engine is warmed up and before driving. However, the fluid should be re-checked using the HOT range.
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and set the parking brake.
2. Start the engine and then move the selector lever through each gear range, ending in P (Park).
3. Check the fluid level with the engine idling.
4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean with lint-free paper.
5. Re-insert the dipstick into the charging pipe as far as it will go.
6. Remove the dipstick and note the reading.
If the level is on the low side of either range, add fluid through the charging pipe.
Re: How Many Litres Of ATF Do I Require? by Gluck4cars: 10:36pm On Oct 31, 2013
For the service you described, you will be needing 5 liters (ie 5 cans of the 1L ATF).

Your vehicle will consume up to 9 Litres when the gear box is completely empty (ie converter is empty). Taking out the filter will not remove the old fluid stored in the converter.

1 Like

Re: How Many Litres Of ATF Do I Require? by vitality22(m): 2:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
Gluck4cars: For the service you described, you will be needing 5 liters (ie 5 cans of the 1L ATF).

Your vehicle will consume up to 9 Litres when the gear box is completely empty (ie converter is empty). Taking out the filter will not remove the old fluid stored in the converter.
Thank you so much for the info. But I intend to remove all the ATF in the system. However thanks a million
@Costee
Thank you so very much, you've really done well. I appreciate it so much
Re: How Many Litres Of ATF Do I Require? by chucky234(m): 3:50pm On Nov 01, 2013
Costee:
You probably do not need more than 5.5 litres. Use the dipstick for appropriate measurements. Here's what your manual says:
The fluid level should be checked using the HOT range on the dipstick after the following conditions have been met:
— The engine should be warmed up to operating temperature.
— The vehicle should be driven at least 5 minutes.
— The ATF should be warmed to between 122 and 176°F (50 and 80°C).
The ATF can be checked at fluid temperatures of 86 to 122°F (30 to 50°C) using the COLD range on the dipstick after the engine is warmed up and before driving. However, the fluid should be re-checked using the HOT range.
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and set the parking brake.
2. Start the engine and then move the selector lever through each gear range, ending in P (Park).
3. Check the fluid level with the engine idling.
4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean with lint-free paper.
5. Re-insert the dipstick into the charging pipe as far as it will go.
6. Remove the dipstick and note the reading.
If the level is on the low side of either range, add fluid through the charging pipe.
All dis plenty wahal just to change ATF?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Are 'normal Wear' Cars On Copart Legit? / BMW Unveils The New 2019 Z4 Roadster At This Year's Monterey Car Week / Is Benz ML320 Good For Nigeria Roads?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.