Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,549 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

On The Dangers Of Cultural Isolation And Traditionalistic Servitude - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / On The Dangers Of Cultural Isolation And Traditionalistic Servitude (2386 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On The Dangers Of Cultural Isolation And Traditionalistic Servitude by huxley(m): 1:13pm On Jul 10, 2008
On thing that characterises humans as oppose to other animals (some other higher primates are thought to also construct cultural millieus) is the possession of culture. Broadly speakly, culture defines the relationship humans have with one another, how we occupy our time, the artifacts we create and appreciation of reality. Almost all human cultures display various forms or elements of this multi-facetted kaleidoscope of culture.

Until recently most of human history was plagued by abject cultural isolation occasioned either by fear and distrust of the foreigner (xenophobia) or by natural barriers such as language differences, deserts, mountain, river etc; or by pure and simple ignorance of lands beyond one immediate borders.

Societies developing in a region of cultural isolation have a tendency to stagnate technically and intellectually. There is hardly a society that does not think that its own local culture are not superior to other cultures. Every culture hold is mores and tradition up as being the best and tries to perpetuate this to succeeding generation.

If this is true, why is there today more cross-cultural fertilization (or contamination) than there was 200, 1000, 2000 years ago?

Where would Africa be today if African had not adopted some of the European & Middle Eastern cultural heritage (such as Christianity, I-slam, formal education, writing scripts and alphabets, etc, etc)?

Where would Western Europe be today if the Europeans had not learntr and adopted aspects of Middle Eastern culture, Greek and Roman Culture.

Where world the world be today if we had not adopted the concept of the number "zero" from the Indian culture?

How does a formally isolated culture decide on which elements of the new culture to adopt and which of its own local cultures to abandon? For instance, infanticide was common in some parts of the Nigerian culture (ritual abandonment of twins in the forest). The Nigerians who practised this at the time most have thought highly of their culture. If they did, why did they abandon the practice.

. . . . more to follow.
Re: On The Dangers Of Cultural Isolation And Traditionalistic Servitude by lazy(m): 2:52pm On Jul 10, 2008
huxley:

On thing that characterises humans as oppose to other animals (some other higher primates are thought to also construct cultural millieus) is the possession of culture. Broadly speakly, culture defines the relationship humans have with one another, how we occupy our time, the artifacts we create and appreciation of reality. Almost all human cultures display various forms or elements of this multi-facetted kaleidoscope of culture.

Until recently most of human history was plagued by abject cultural isolation occasioned either by fear and distrust of the foreigner (xenophobia) or by natural barriers such as language differences, deserts, mountain, river etc; or by pure and simple ignorance of lands beyond one immediate borders.

Societies developing in a region of cultural isolation have a tendency to stagnate technically and intellectually. There is hardly a society that does not think that its own local culture are not superior to other cultures. Every culture hold is mores and tradition up as being the best and tries to perpetuate this to succeeding generation.

If this is true, why is there today more cross-cultural fertilization (or contamination) than there was 200, 1000, 2000 years ago?

Where would Africa be today if African had not adopted some of the European & Middle Eastern cultural heritage (such as Christianity, I-slam, formal education, writing scripts and alphabets, etc, etc)?

Where would Western Europe be today if the Europeans had not learntr and adopted aspects of Middle Eastern culture, Greek and Roman Culture.

Where world the world be today if we had not adopted the concept of the number "zero" from the Indian culture?

How does a formally isolated culture decide on which elements of the new culture to adopt and which of its own local cultures to abandon? For instance, infanticide was common in some parts of the Nigerian culture (ritual abandonment of twins in the forest). The Nigerians who practised this at the time most have thought highly of their culture. If they did, why did they abandon the practice.

. . . . more to follow.

Very interesting topic.

Where should I start. I agree with your premise that cultures should not live in isolation and that should take positives from other cultures to better themselves. I think this has been going on since the beginning of time to a large degree. Now you are correct that many places were isolated from other because of certain factors but for the most part when they weren't, culture transfers happened. I think if we look at Southern Europe, Southwest Asia, and Northern Africa historically you will see cultures that transferred knowledge between each other since the early times.

The thing we have to also realize is most cultures when they brought other cultural aspects into their society, they made those ideas their own and didn't try to zerox (make a copy). Meaning that when Europeans adopted Christianity, sure the Old Testament was in Afro-Asiatic language (Hebrew) but New Testament (the New Covenant which is essential to Christianity) was in an Indo-European language (Greek). They used their own languages to convey their spiritual beliefs and thoughts. They also brought many of their own cultural practices into the faith that are not even in the Bible (ie Burial Practices). That are now look at as de facto means of laying someone to rest (I don't know how many times I have heard of a Christian Burial when it doesn't exist).
Re: On The Dangers Of Cultural Isolation And Traditionalistic Servitude by janami(f): 3:01pm On Jul 10, 2008
hmmm, smtg intellectually stimulating for once.
@lazy
that thing about xtian burials . . . . r u then sayn xtian burial neva existed?
Re: On The Dangers Of Cultural Isolation And Traditionalistic Servitude by tpia: 3:12pm On Jul 10, 2008
@ Huxley

Where would Africa be today if African had not adopted some of the European & Middle Eastern cultural heritage (such as Christianity,  I-slam, formal education, writing scripts and alphabets, etc, etc)?

please ask them oh.

There are some vocally insistent folks who believe we'd all be better off swinging from trees.

never mind the fact that intertribal warfare preceded the white man. Whites exploited it- they did not invent it.
Re: On The Dangers Of Cultural Isolation And Traditionalistic Servitude by lazy(m): 3:13pm On Jul 10, 2008
janami:

hmmm, smtg intellectually stimulating for once.
@lazy
that thing about xtian burials . . . . r u then sayn xtian burial never existed?

I don't know what one is personally? Is their scripture that states how a Christian should be buried? If so, I stand corrected.
Re: On The Dangers Of Cultural Isolation And Traditionalistic Servitude by janami(f): 3:38pm On Jul 10, 2008
@lazy
ok. i dont know myself, that is y i asked.
Re: On The Dangers Of Cultural Isolation And Traditionalistic Servitude by lazy(m): 3:43pm On Jul 10, 2008
janami:

@lazy
ok. i don't know myself, that is y i asked.

Oh that is cool. I thought you might have had some information. I have talked about it with people and after those discussions. That aspect is pretty much just tradition.
Re: On The Dangers Of Cultural Isolation And Traditionalistic Servitude by janami(f): 7:03pm On Jul 10, 2008
ok

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Parties / Accelerationism / Spiritual Trees Of Great Power In Igboland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.