Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,495 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) (2241 Views)

What Do You Think Is The Unpardonable Sin? The Answer May Shock You / Are There Things You Cannot Forgive? / All Who Insult Pastors Are Committing An Unpardonable Sin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by PasD(m): 7:10pm On Oct 31, 2013
"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32"And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come, matt12:31.

Did you see that?

Many often believe that Jesus paid for our sins, present, past and future ( I strongly advocate that too) but from the statement above, What is “the unpardonable sin”? Many worry that they have committed it. But just what is the sin that “shall not be forgiven”? Do only converted people commit it—or can non-Christians?

Is this sin the same as 'the sin unto death' in 1john?

Jesus spoke of a sin that “shall not be forgiven...neither in this world, neither in the world to come” (Matt. 12:31-32). This sin is most often referred to as “the unpardonable sin.”
Widespread confusion surrounds this subject. So many people worry that they may have committed, or did commit, the unpardonable sin. Yet most have not known how to recognize the sin that “shall not be forgiven.”

So my main aim of creating this topic is for the matured bible scholars to tell us what they know about this sin. We all believe that Jesus is the 'Advocate with the Father'.

Many people believe it to be murder, others believe it to be funication, but from the statement, the sin is not an act but an art (blasheme).

If you have any idea share pls. But all I know is that if Jesus said there is such sin, then there is such sin!
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by sunkoye: 7:32pm On Oct 31, 2013
Every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men except for blasphemy against the Spirit. Using the working definition of blasphemy as “speaking evil of,” it becomes clear that the sin described by Jesus was a “tongue sin” that the Pharisees had committed, or at least were dangerously close to committing.
What had the Pharisees done that would have put them in jeopardy of committing the unpardonable sin? According to His own testimony, during Jesus’ time on this Earth He cast out demons by the “Spirit of God” (Matthew 12:28). When the Pharisees saw that Jesus had performed a verifiable miracle, they could not argue with the fact that Christ possessed certain powers that others (including themselves) did not have. Therefore, in order to cast suspicion on the ministry of Jesus, they claimed that He was casting out demons by Beelzebub, the ruler of demons. The name Beelzebub is simply another name for Satan as can be seen from Jesus’ reference to Satan in Matthew 12:26. Even when faced by the miraculous working of the Holy Spirit through Jesus, the Pharisees were, in essence, attributing Jesus’ power to Satan, and claiming that Jesus was Satan incarnate instead of God incarnate. It is this, and nothing else, that our Lord calls the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost . it is very scary how destructive tongue can be!.

1 Like

Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by ayoku777(m): 8:07pm On Oct 31, 2013
The unpardonable sin is the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, it is also the 'sin unto death' in 1John 5v16.

So what does it mean to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit? It is to reject or deny His witness of who Christ is. The work of the Holy Spirit is to testify of Christ. John 15v26 -but when the comforter is come, ...he shall testify of me. John 16v14 -he shall glorify me, for he receive of mine and shall shew it unto you. Thats the work of the Spirit, to testify of Christ as the Messiah. Anyone who rejects and denies the Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God and that he died and rose for your sins and justification commits the sin of blasphemy against the Spirit. That is the sin unto death, the sin that carries the consequence of spiritual death and eternal condemnation. John 8v24 -for if ye believe not that i am he, ye shall die in your sins.

So it is perfectly safe to say a christian CANNOT commit this, coz you couldnt even be a christian if you did. And secondly, i must add that the reason this sin is unforgivable is not coz God cannot forgive it, it is unforgivable coz it is the sin of refusing to come to Jesus to receive forgiveness. Every other sin has the promise of unconditional forgiveness except this one. This is the sin that makes you a sinner or an unbeliever, every other sin makes you a carnal or immature believer. Other sins too have consequences, but not spiritual death or eternal condemnation.

Matt 12v31 -wherefore i say unto you, ALL manner of sin and blasphemy SHALL (not can) be forgiven unto men, but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven.

Can is possibility, shall is promise.

1 Like

Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by PasD(m): 8:38pm On Oct 31, 2013
Pls in essence where do you stand? Did the sin end with the pharisees or is it still available for commision 2day?
sunkoye: Every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men except for blasphemy against the Spirit. Using the working definition of blasphemy as “speaking evil of,” it becomes clear that the sin described by Jesus was a “tongue sin” that the Pharisees had committed, or at least were dangerously close to committing.
What had the Pharisees done that would have put them in jeopardy of committing the unpardonable sin? According to His own testimony, during Jesus’ time on this Earth He cast out demons by the “Spirit of God” (Matthew 12:28). When the Pharisees saw that Jesus had performed a verifiable miracle, they could not argue with the fact that Christ possessed certain powers that others (including themselves) did not have. Therefore, in order to cast suspicion on the ministry of Jesus, they claimed that He was casting out demons by Beelzebub, the ruler of demons. The name Beelzebub is simply another name for Satan as can be seen from Jesus’ reference to Satan in Matthew 12:26. Even when faced by the miraculous working of the Holy Spirit through Jesus, the Pharisees were, in essence, attributing Jesus’ power to Satan, and claiming that Jesus was Satan incarnate instead of God incarnate. It is this, and nothing else, that our Lord calls the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost . it is very scary how destructive tongue can be!.
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by PasD(m): 8:42pm On Oct 31, 2013
So those 'unbelievers' God will not forgive them again even if they repent? because Jesus said 'neither in this world or in the world to come' and also, note that the pharisees are not just 'unbelievers'. They believed in God, as a matter of fact, they were the 'teachers' of the law. Do I understand you to mean that the pharisees did not really know God? I believe they know who Jesus was but chose not to accept Him. Try and clear me sir pls
ayoku777: The unpardonable sin is the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, it is also the 'sin unto death' in 1John 5v16.

So what does it mean to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit? It is to reject or deny His witness of who Christ is. The work of the Holy Spirit is to testify of Christ. John 15v26 -but when the comforter is come, ...he shall testify of me. John 16v14 -he shall glorify me, for he receive of mine and shall shew it unto you. Thats the work of the Spirit, to testify of Christ as the Messiah. Anyone who rejects and denies the Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God and that he died and rose for your sins and justification commits the sin of blasphemy against the Spirit. That is the sin unto death, the sin that carries the consequence of spiritual death and eternal condemnation. John 8v24 -for if ye believe not that i am he, ye shall die in your sins.

So it is perfectly safe to say a christian CANNOT commit this, coz you couldnt even be a christian if you did. And secondly, i must add that the reason this sin is unforgivable is not coz God cannot forgive it, it is unforgivable coz it is the sin of refusing to come to Jesus to receive forgiveness. Every other sin has the promise of unconditional forgiveness except this one. This is the sin that makes you a sinner or an unbeliever, every other sin makes you a carnal or immature believer. Other sins too have consequences, but not spiritual death or eternal condemnation.

Matt 12v31 -wherefore i say unto you, ALL manner of sin and blasphemy SHALL (not can) be forgiven unto men, but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven.

Can is possibility, shall is promise.
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by ayoku777(m): 8:58pm On Oct 31, 2013
PasD: So those 'unbelievers' God will not forgive them again even if they repent? because Jesus said 'neither in this world or in the world to come' and also, note that the pharisees are not just 'unbelievers'. They believed in God, as a matter of fact, they were the 'teachers' of the law. Do I understand you to mean that the pharisees did not really know God? I believe they know who Jesus was but chose not to accept Him. Try and clear me sir pls

The pharisees are unbelievers, you're not a believer or christian just coz you believe God exists. If you dont believe Jesus is the Christ you're an unbeliever.

And if an unbeliever repents and believes, God will accept him and forgive ofcourse. Christ is talking of sins that don't have unconditional forgiveness, sin that can't be forgiven if you don't repent. There is NO SIN, that God cannot forgive if you repent. But the sin of blasphemy against the Spirit is the one sin that has no unconditional forgiveness and cant be forgiven IF you dont repent.

1 Like

Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by PasD(m): 9:00pm On Oct 31, 2013
Hmmmm. I appreciate.

Lemme see if sum1 has a different opinion b4 I adopt this. Fenks sire all the same
ayoku777:

The pharisees are unbelievers, you're not a believer or christian just coz you believe God exists. If you dont believe Jesus is the Christ you're an unbeliever.

And if an unbeliever repents and believe God will accept him and forgive of us. Christ is talking of sins that don't have unconditional forgiveness, sin that can't be forgiven if you don't repent. There is NO SIN, that God cannot forgive if you repent

1 Like

Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by ayoku777(m): 7:40am On Nov 01, 2013
PasD: Hmmmm. I appreciate.

Lemme see if sum1 has a different opinion b4 I adopt this. Fenks sire all the same

Thanks. smiley
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by made2fit(f): 10:25pm On Nov 01, 2013
The bible clearly states that He that blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. D warning is to believers IMO, for they are the ones who have the spirit living in them.Holy spirit is sent to Christians. (Unbelievers cannot blaspheme what they don't know or have). It is rare but not impossible for a believer to DELIBERATELY and PUBLICLY speak irreverently about the HS. That, God will not forgive.
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by PasD(m): 3:07pm On Nov 02, 2013
made2fit: The bible clearly states that He that blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. D warning is to believers IMO, for they are the ones who have the spirit living in them.Holy spirit is sent to Christians. (Unbelievers cannot blaspheme what they don't know or have). It is rare but not impossible for a believer to DELIBERATELY and PUBLICLY speak irreverently about the HS. That, God will not forgive.
I did so many researches and found out from very many top ministers that this sin against the HS cannot be commited by believer. Infact, most of these ministers argued that if this sin was to be possible, it would be only possible my mistake. They also argued that if it was to be by mistake, paul and other apostles would have warned christians in their epistles. But its so obvious that the apostle never even mention anytin abt blasphemy against the HS in their epistles.

Also, some of theses ministers argued that for the fact that a christian is afraid that he or she may have committed this sin is a clear cut indication that he or she has not committed it. It takes a reprobate mind to sin against the HS. What's ur take on that?
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by ayoku777(m): 6:31pm On Nov 02, 2013
made2fit: The bible clearly states that He that blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. D warning is to believers IMO, for they are the ones who have the spirit living in them.Holy spirit is sent to Christians. (Unbelievers cannot blaspheme what they don't know or have). It is rare but not impossible for a believer to DELIBERATELY and PUBLICLY speak irreverently about the HS. That, God will not forgive.

Its not true, the warning WAS NOT to believers. When Jesus made that statement He was talking to the jews and pharisees in particular, who still maintained that He had an evil spirit, just after He did a miracle that according to their law could only be done by the Son of David, the Messiah.

And secondly, you don't need to have the Holy Spirit to reject Him, to refuse to believe that Jesus is the Messiah and that He died and rose is to REJECT the Spirit.

John 16v8and9 -And when He is come, He shall reprove the world of sin,... Of sin, because they believe not on me.

Not believing in Jesus is the sin against the Spirit, and its the only sin without the promise of unconditional forgiveness. And a believer, cannot commit that sin. Coz you wouldn't even be a believer if you did.
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by ayoku777(m): 6:32pm On Nov 02, 2013
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by made2fit(f): 6:48pm On Nov 02, 2013
Okay. Thanks. We'll do my own further research.

1 Like

Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by PasD(m): 10:13pm On Nov 02, 2013
ayoku777:

Its not true, the warning WAS NOT to believers. When Jesus made that statement He was talking to the jews and pharisees in particular, who still maintained that He had an evil spirit, just after He did a miracle that according to their law could only be done by the Son of David, the Messiah.

And secondly, you don't need to have the Holy Spirit to reject Him, to refuse to believe that Jesus is the Messiah and that He died and rose is to REJECT the Spirit.

John 16v8and9 -And when He is come, He shall reprove the world of sin,... Of sin, because they believe not on me.

Not believing in Jesus is the sin against the Spirit, and its the only sin without the promise of unconditional forgiveness. And a believer, cannot commit that sin. Coz you wouldn't even be a believer if you did.
you're mixin up two things here. To reject the Spirit is not same as blasphemy! So therefore, not believeing in Jesus is definitely NOT the sin against the HS. This is the part I needed clearity which was the reason I posted this topic.

You rightly said that the pharisees are not christians (but they knew who exactly Jesus was). I'm even confusing my self sef lol.

But I knw you did not get the answer shaa
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by PasD(m): 10:15pm On Nov 02, 2013
ayoku777: .
not yet o
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by PasD(m): 10:16pm On Nov 02, 2013
made2fit: Okay. Thanks. We'll do my own further research.
waiting. Maybe you're the messiah for this topic
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by oiseworld: 1:12am On Nov 03, 2013
PasD: you're mixin up two things here. To reject the Spirit is not same as blasphemy! So therefore, not believeing in Jesus is definitely NOT the sin against the HS. This is the part I needed clearity which was the reason I posted this topic.

You rightly said that the pharisees are not christians (but they knew who exactly Jesus was). I'm even confusing my self sef lol.

There exist a portion of the holyspirit in every human being. It is that little portion that first convinces you ( when you allow him) that Jesus is the messiah. You letter get a full baptism of the Holyspirit after you are born again.

Not giving that little measure of the HS a chance to convince you is what the Bible in 1john 5 Is all about. That's what ayoku777 meant I believe.
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by ayoku777(m): 2:35am On Nov 03, 2013
PasD: you're mixin up two things here. To reject the Spirit is not same as blasphemy! So therefore, not believeing in Jesus is definitely NOT the sin against the HS. This is the part I needed clearity which was the reason I posted this topic.

You're wrong, the pharisees and the jews DIDNT believe Jesus was the messiah. If they did, they wouldn't crucify him.

And rejecting Jesus as Christ is same as blasphemy against the Spirit, coz that is what He bears witness to.

A christian can disobey the Holy Spirit, grieve him and even quench his voice, but CANT blaspheme his witness that Jesus is Messiah. Anyone who does that has the Spirit of the anti-christ, and that is rejecting the Spirit.

You're right about confusing yourself.
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by PasD(m): 7:50am On Nov 03, 2013
ayoku777:

You're wrong, the pharisees and the jews DIDNT believe Jesus was the messiah. If they did, they wouldn't crucify him.

And rejecting Jesus as Christ is NOT the same as blasphemy against the Spirit, coz that is what He bears witness to.

A christian can disobey the Holy Spirit, grieve him and even quench his voice, but CANT blaspheme his witness that Jesus is Messiah. Anyone who does that has the Spirit of the anti-christ, and that is rejecting the Spirit.

Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by PasD(m): 8:02am On Nov 03, 2013
oiseworld:

There exist a portion of the holyspirit in every human being. It is that little portion that first convinces you ( when you allow him) that Jesus is the messiah. You letter get a full baptism of the Holyspirit after you are born again.

Not giving that little measure of the HS a chance to convince you is what the Bible in 1john 5 Is all about. That's what ayoku777 meant I believe.
ayoku777 do u agree wt this? "There exost a portion of the HS in every human being?"
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by PasD(m): 8:06am On Nov 03, 2013
The pharisees KNEW that Jesus was the messiah but consciously REFUSED HIM. They knew the scriptures more that any1 else. Infact the bible even said demons believe in God and tremble. Believing may not be thesame as havin faith! So they believed in themselves but did not accept Him hooo haa!
ayoku777:

And rejecting Jesus as Christ is same as blasphemy against the Spirit, coz that is what He bears witness to.

Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by waldigit: 11:09am On Nov 03, 2013
I support the school of thought that opines that it is the rejection of the ministry of Holy Spirit as regards inner conviction that Jesus Christ is the Lord and other facts about him. Almighty God knows it may be difficult for natural man to receive the gospel. That is why it is the Spirit himself who completes the process of witnessing by convincing unbeliever beyond reasonable doubt. He knew the exact amount of conviction individual need to be persuaded. After an individual has been persuaded, he still delebrately denied Christ, it amounts to sin that cannot be forgiven.Lk 9: 62
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by PasD(m): 1:11pm On Nov 03, 2013
waldigit :
I support the school of thought that opines that it is the rejection of the ministry of Holy Spirit as regards inner conviction that Jesus Christ is the Lord and other facts about him. Almighty God knows it may be difficult for natural man to receive the gospel. That is why it is the Spirit himself who completes the process of witnessing by convincing unbeliever beyond reasonable doubt. He knew the exact amount of conviction individual need to be persuaded. After an individual has been persuaded, he still delebrately denied Christ, it amounts to sin that cannot be forgiven.Lk 9: 62
you have fired point blank! The pharisees (I think) were persuaded, but deliberately credited the work of the Holy Spirit to Belzebub the prince of demons...that, my friend, was blasphemy! I concur wt you if so be that we meant the same thing
Re: The Sin That God Cannot Forgive? (the Unpardonable Sin) by mvem(m): 1:53pm On Nov 03, 2013
so re u saying dat d jews and pharisee commited d unpardonable sin

(1) (Reply)

Thou Shall Laugh / These Means That God Don't Know That Prevention Is Better Than Cure / Does Muslims Have Father??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.