Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,213 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) (5120 Views)

Hope And The Island Of Greatness (A Motivational Story) / Hope And The Island Of Greatness(a Motivational Fiction) / Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 12:33am On Nov 01, 2013
Here is the sequel to the story about Hopefulness who went through a lot just to get to a wonderful island called The Island of Greatness. The season 1 ended with Hopefulness getting to that island: he has received the coats of many colours and the Medal of the Achiever... now let's see what happens to Hope in the Island of Greatness. Would he be able to build the bridge of influence to bridge the gap between the poor and the rich? will he be able to end the evil 'race of racism' run daily in the island? Let's take our stool and sit down to watch what happens

As you know, we make use of abstract nouns such as Doubt, Faith, Hope etc as the names of our characters....

To go through the season 1, please click on this link: https://www.nairaland.com/1224953/hope-island-greatness-fiction-allegory

1 Like

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 12:51am On Nov 01, 2013
CHAPTER ONE

Hope felt fulfilled. Now he had reached the Island where he was wishing to be for years, right from his childhood. He was the sole lucky soul from Happy-Go-Lucky town to have happily achieved the feat of having the soles of his feet down in the island by passing through the river called Achievement, yet he had thought himself unfit all the while. His two hosts, who seemed to him like ghosts, had set him upon a horse to ride him to the haven they had promised. Hope cast his mind back to the old overcast days—his days of torments in the strongholds in the Hurt huts, where he was forced to put on the Garments of Torment, Attire stolen from Satire and more.

The horse galloped as Hope walloped in his thought, which had enveloped the whole of his attention. A strong bolt scudded rapidly beneath the heavens, striking it like a mattock, thereby invoking a scary whine from the mouth of the provoked weak colt beneath their buttocks. A swallow brushed past Hope’s head, jolting him out of his wallowing thought. The swallow came around six more times until Hope had asked the horsemen, “Why is this bird disturbing my head?”
They smiled at him and said, “It’s coming over you to welcome you to the Island of Greatness.”

Hope found lights of great intensity in groups of ten round the city, eliding its beauty such that it would be difficult for one to tell night from day. Hope was so much enthralled in the sight and was taken aback by their intensities such that he almost fell off the horse’s back. Not long after, he began to see great architectural designs, great domiciles, such that he almost forgot where he was coming from. Structures of great altitudes were to him as though they were poking their heads into the sky ahead of them and he felt he’d got stories to store in his brain—stories to tell about the storeys later. And for the first time in his life, he began to see multitude with complexions entirely different from his. However, Hope was not surprised at all, for he had heard such things from Mr. Knowledge back in Happy-Go-Lucky his hometown.
“Is this the haven?” Hope said, pointing to a rich structure just within their reach.
“Well…it depends on what you pen down, wherever you might wish to stay,” said the man behind him.
“But first, before we depart, we shall take you round the concrete paths in this city to see things for yourself and discern the part of this city that would be best for you to stay,” the man sitting in front of him said.
“Why is everyone here having this kind of skin?” Hope asked, a bit scared.
“Not all of them are having this kind of skin. You’ll soon get to see ‘coons so-called’ with the type of skin you carry. But it doesn’t matter, skin is skin.”

The journey around the city was long. Everyone seemed to be bustling with one activity or the other, taking no notice of Hope at all. Hope was shocked at the sight.
“Sirs, don’t this people sleep at nights, or are they all knights?”
“They sleep at night and none of them is a knight,” said the one behind him. “Why do you ask?”
“Then what are they up doing this night?”
“Hmm…Hope, it’s no night over here now, but day. It’s just 17.00 GMT here!”
“Day?” Hope was shocked. “But you said you’re leading me to where I’ll lodge tonight.”
“Yes, but it’s not night yet.”
“By the way what is GMT?” Hope asked ignorantly and they replied, “Greatness Mean Time—people make reference to this time in many provinces of the earth because they want to be great too.”
Hope didn’t argue, for he had read in Mr. Knowledge’s library that there was the case of time difference between one zone and the other. Hope later saw some people on horsebacks too, with varying complexions. As a matter of fact, the ones accompanying them on the horsebacks had great semblance with the two men on the horse with him.
When they had tirelessly shown him round the city to see things in his own way, not in its entirety though, they came off the horse and headed straight for a tall building. The lights around the building were almost blinding Hope’s eyes, such that he asked himself, “Why putting on light in the day? Isn’t it a waste of resources?”
“Not at all,” said one of them. “The estates in the Island of Greatness were established in light many years ago. The lights you see is even now fading away, for people here now do whatever pleases them. But, you, Hopefulness, be different from them all. Remember where you are coming from and stay focused. Remember the words of that Father Sage you told us about. They are golden words from olden mouth indeed. Bind them upon your kind and tender heart so you can have something to tender when the need comes. Who knows whether you have come here for a time like this, to end the evil Race of Racism that goes on here every day, diming and diminishing the lights that had been deemed fit to shine and redeem souls?”
Hope saw golden statues all around, gigantic ones, as big as the mansions themselves.
“What are these?” he asked.
“They are the statues of the heroes past. They made their marks in this land and therefore their statues become landmarks here.” Hope stared long at the statues but one of his friends called him to caution as he said, “Stare up not too long at them, for what you have in your own upstairs now is greater than what they had in their own upstairs then. You can have your effigy all around the estates in the states in here more than they do if only you could efficaciously live a significant life without cants, like the fig tree considered insignificant, yet very significant. Then use your brain like a grain of mustard seed considered too little and impotent, yet yielding one of the largest and potent trees on earth. Just be focused and be an advocate.”
“But why do they have their images here different from other people?”
“Because they were men of influence who, after making it, built the bridges of influence and convincingly carried their provinces along. They were not greedy for everlasting stay in the Power Tower and in the Domicile of Dominion. They fought relentlessly while they sought the independence of this Island called Greatness and made it great, for it was not great from the beginning. Some of these mentors dared the tormentors and paid dearly with their blood to take away the blurred future of this island and turn it around.”
Earlier, while Hope was shown round the city, he found many of his kind, having the types of eyes, nose, hair and complexion he carried dwelling silently together in a big Complex. He had wished to join them immediately then, but his hosts had asked him to come with them first.
Now, you will need to go in there. They pointed at the building ahead of him.
“Without you?” he asked in doubt.
“Exactly!” they said at once. “Here’s where we’ll be departing from you to welcome people of your kind. When you get there, just comply with the instructions there and remember…whatever lodge you pen down is where you’ll lodge. Be swift to hear, for we shall communicate to you often, through your heart. We shall see you soon.”
“Please don’t leave me now?” Hope was pleading. They came close to him and touched his hair and whispered hope to his ears. He smiled. “Wait a minute, what are your names?”
“Why do you ask for our names?” they said. “Anyway I’m Mr. Commonsense and he’s Mr. Discretion. Have this bag; all you’ll need is in it.” They gave him the bag they had with them.
“Thanks for keeping me company,” Hope said. They began to take their leave.
To be continued...

2 Likes

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Michaellegend(m): 6:50am On Nov 01, 2013
i was here...
The comfort of peace, the beauty of hope, the spirit of love,the strength in grace, the blessings of favour is what I wish u this month. Happy new month frds

1 Like

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Karevwite: 7:01am On Nov 01, 2013
hapi new mth dude n ma fellow pipo in d ous

1 Like

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 7:05am On Nov 01, 2013
i rep 8th 0f this m0nth..0ga sammy,0ya,i they wait 0h.

1 Like

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 7:30am On Nov 01, 2013
Nkpume Iko is here now.
This is great Sammy.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 01, 2013
Ha! me be late comer for here o. Make una nor vex for me o...na the eMber months delay me with their long conversation o...
I even record wetin we yarn so I go fit post am for hia..

NB: the following conversation take place between 7a.m to 8a.m November 1, 2013..

November: Hi, Sammy, come and mount on my back.
Sammy Hoe: For what?

November: So I can carry you.
Sammy Hoe: To where?
November: To greater height.
Sammy Hoe: Greater height?
November: Yeah, sure.
Sammy Hoe: (speaks pidgin) Hope say me nor go fall down from there sha?
November: (shakes his head and responded in Igbo(mba)
Sammy Hoe: Because me dey fear great height o, especially mountain top.
November: (grins and speak pidgin) Me nor go let you fall. From today till next 30 days you go jus dey jolificate so tey...
Sammy Hoe: After 30 days nko?
November: Na my elder brother go fit answer that one o(calling...)
December: I am here.
November: Handing Sammy over to you, he has a question to ask you.
December: Hi Sammy.
Sammy Hoe: Hi December, how your side?
December: Well, fine in advance sha.
Sammy Hoesadwith mouth wide agape) Why you say in advance now.
December: Because my time has not come yet.
Sammy Hoe: Okay o(clears throat) November talk say na you go carry me after 30 days. So I wan ask you which height you go carry me reach.
December: Where I go carry you reach is immesurable o.

Sammy Hoesadgrins) The sky is the limit abi?
December: (shakes his head) Mba.
Sammy Hoesadgrotesque) what!!!
December: The sky is just the beginning o.

Sammy Hoe: Ha! Me dey fear great height o.
December: Na normal thing(laughing). If your dreams don't scare you then it is not a big dream. u never read the motivation wey tok say, our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate... bla bla bla...

Sammy Hoesadslightly annoyed) Please finish the quotation nah.
December: September and October suppose don teach you that one nah.
Sammy Hoe: I don't think they taught me anything o.
(September and October shouts from off stage)
September & October: We sat you down to teach you but you were too busy to listen!!
Sammy Hoesadgrins and scratches head) Can I come back now?
September&Octobersadspeaks in Igbo) Mba!!!
December: Opportunity knocks but once Sammy. What you can do is face the future ahead of you, and face your present with November.
Sammy Hoe:Eem....er...erh(scratches head. Sammy Hoe changed the topic) But why all of una like to dey say mba instead of no?
September, October, November and December replies: Because we are all Mber months!!!
Sammy Hoe: But people tok say na una time bad bad things dey happen, e.g..accidents, etc.
Mber Months: (Laughing) Don't mind them jare. Whatever you believe is what you will achieve now. Na dia belief be dat nah; Na why most of them no go fit live to see January be that.
Sammy Hoe:So...anything I say go happen to me?

Mber Months: Exactly!!!
Sammy Hoesadsoberly) MBER months are My Best Ever Recorded months oooooo!!!

Mber Months: Amen!!!
Sammy Hoe: MBER for me is Months of Big Excellent Reward.
Mber Month: Amin o Jesu!!!
Sammy Hoesadobserving) But October...bros, you nor suppose dey among the Mber Months nah!
October: Biko! Why you kon hate me like that nah? Wetin I do you nah?

Sammy Hoe: Your own name nor end with Mber nah!
October: Wetin kon end am?
Sammy Hoe: Na BER, no be MBER.

October: (playfully) Sammy nor vex me o. Nor even tok that yarn for wia omo IBO dey.
Sammy Hoe:I fit tok am anywhere, Na OBER end your name no be MBER.

October: Na MBER, no be OBER(calling Omo IBO). Come o Omo Ibo make you helep us clear dis matter one time!!!
Omo Ibo: (screams from afar) I dey come o!!!(Omo IBO arrives). I hail o bros Octomber, why you dey call me nah?
(everyone laughs)
Octobersadlaughing) I call you say make u kon help us confirm something ni o.
Omo Ibo: (eager) Wetin be that o!
October: Nor worry again, you don confirm am already.
Omo Ibo: Shoooow!!! Broda Octomber, Na like dis you wan dey take me do yeye in front of dis new month ( points to November).

October: Sorry, but sincerely you don confirm the thing already. You fit dey go now.
(everyone laughs).
Omo Ibo: (leaving the scene, soliloquizing) Walahi, dat Octomber get wahala die. Thank God say November don come. Very soon now, December go come, we go celebrate Xmas. New year go follow am for Jenuwari, Febuwari go follow am...

October:So, Sammy you see your life(pokes Sammy funnily)
Sammy Hoe: Oga go Sidon jare. You don expire joor. As a matter of fact, na only Omo IBO recognises you as Octomber.

October: I don expire abi?(he snaps his finger) We go meet next year nah.
Sammy Hoe: (slightly afraid) Na true o! For independent day abi?
October: Sure nah!!(October exited)

November: Now back to present Sammy...
Sammy Hoe: Wait first...(Looking towards October's direction).
November: Sammie!! Face me and forget about the past jare!!!

Sammy Hoe: Come o...you sure say October nor go waylay me next year like this. I fear im threat o.

November: (laughing) October be the most friendly person for this naija since 1960 wey naija become independent. So, that is why naija dey celebrate am first day im dey show face every year.

Sammy Hoe: October 1?

November: Exactly! Sammy let's leave talk talk alone for now make we begin do wetin we go do in the next 30 days jooor. You know say we must cover the syllabus o.

Sammy Hoe: How we go start now?
November: Let's start with our manual or user guide.
Sammy Hoe: Wetin be that?
November: Bible...abi you don forget am?
Sammy Hoe: (sighs)

November: Na so u do last month wey you nearly regret am. You wan do same with me? After you go say How you wish you can go to the past to make right something wrong. If you nor start your month with the word of God how you nor go regret? Oya...afara...go bring your bible now now, else wetin happen for 1921 go repeat hinsef.

Sammy Hoe: Wetin?

November: leave that one for another time...nor be my mouth you go hear am(bringing out pankere). Oya...Sammy...run go bring your bible or chop cane.

(Sammy Hoe fled to bring his bible)

November: Now let's get more serious. No more pidgin again. Speak pure English...now open to the book of Genesis chapter 1 vs 1...begin read am...

(Sammy Hoe reads and didn't want to stop).
Sammy Hoe: (After 1 hour)Kai! ( looks round but didn't see November) this word of God sweet die.
November: Tru tok, but I tok say no more yarning broken English. U just yarn am again.
Sammy Hoe: Which one you dey yarn?
November: ha! Na true o(smiling)
Sammy Hoe: Hmm...I like your happy face o. Happy November. Happy New Month...

To be continued...
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 01, 2013
Nkpume Iko: Nkpume Iko is here now.
This is great Sammy.

You are highly welcome Nkpume
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by GraceEzeh(f): 11:43am On Nov 01, 2013
Api New Month evrybody here o. Sammy Hoe, na God save u o. I think say u go fail me today. I don dey plan aw to send Giant Faith 4 u. Tanx 4 d update anyway. Thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by GraceEzeh(f): 11:45am On Nov 01, 2013
Bia, Nkpume, which one u no dey nah? Finish dat story 'the last star'. And stop keeping I and ma mum in suspense
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Karevwite: 12:14pm On Nov 01, 2013
Sammy Hoe: Ha! me be late comer for here o. Make una nor vex for me o...na the eMber months delay me with their long conversation o...
I even record wetin we yarn so I go fit post am for hia..

NB: the following conversation take place between 7a.m to 8a.m November 13, 2013..

November: Hi, Sammy, come and mount on my back.
Sammy Hoe: For what?

November: So I can carry you.
Sammy Hoe: To where?
November: To greater height.
Sammy Hoe: Greater height?
November: Yeah, sure.
Sammy Hoe: (speaks pidgin) Hope say me nor go fall down from there sha?
November: (shakes his head and responded in Igbo(mba)
Sammy Hoe: Because me dey fear great height o, especially mountain top.
November: (grins and speak pidgin) Me nor go let you fall. From today till next 30 days you go jus dey jolificate so tey...
Sammy Hoe: After 30 days nko?
November: Na my elder brother go fit answer that one o(calling...)
December: I am here.
November: Handing Sammy over to you, he has a question to ask you.
December: Hi Sammy.
Sammy Hoe: Hi December, how your side?
December: Well, fine in advance sha.
Sammy Hoesadwith mouth wide agape) Why you say in advance now.
December: Because my time has not come yet.
Sammy Hoe: Okay o(clears throat) November talk say na you go carry me after 30 days. So I wan ask you which height you go carry me reach.
December: Where I go carry you reach is immesurable o.

Sammy Hoesadgrins) The sky is the limit abi?
December: (shakes his head) Mba.
Sammy Hoesadgrotesque) what!!!
December: The sky is just the beginning o.

Sammy Hoe: Ha! Me dey fear great height o.
December: Na normal thing(laughing). If your dreams don't scare you then it is not a big dream. u never read the motivation wey tok say, our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate... bla bla bla...

Sammy Hoesadslightly annoyed) Please finish the quotation nah.
December: September and October suppose don teach you that one nah.
Sammy Hoe: I don't think they taught me anything o.
(September and October shouts from off stage)
September & October: We sat you down to teach you but you were too busy to listen!!
Sammy Hoesadgrins and scratches head) Can I come back now?
September&Octobersadspeaks in Igbo) Mba!!!
December: Opportunity knocks but once Sammy. What you can do is face the future ahead of you, and face your present with November.
Sammy Hoe:Eem....er...erh(scratches head. Sammy Hoe changed the topic) But why all of una like to dey say mba instead of no?
September, October, November and December replies: Because we are all Mber months!!!
Sammy Hoe: But people tok say na una time bad bad things dey happen, e.g..accidents, etc.
Mber Months: (Laughing) Don't mind them jare. Whatever you believe is what you will achieve now. Na dia belief be dat nah; Na why most of them no go fit live to see January be that.
Sammy Hoe:So...anything I say go happen to me?

Mber Months: Exactly!!!
Sammy Hoesadsoberly) MBER months are My Best Ever Recorded months oooooo!!!

Mber Months: Amen!!!
Sammy Hoe: MBER for me is Months of Big Excellent Reward.
Mber Month: Amin o Jesu!!!
Sammy Hoesadobserving) But October...bros, you nor suppose dey among the Mber Months nah!
October: Biko! Why you kon hate me like that nah? Wetin I do you nah?

Sammy Hoe: Your own name nor end with Mber nah!
October: Wetin kon end am?
Sammy Hoe: Na BER, no be MBER.

October: (playfully) Sammy nor vex me o. Nor even tok that yarn for wia omo IBO dey.
Sammy Hoe:I fit tok am anywhere, Na OBER end your name no be MBER.

October: Na MBER, no be OBER(calling Omo IBO). Come o Omo Ibo make you helep us clear dis matter one time!!!
Omo Ibo: (screams from afar) I dey come o!!!(Omo IBO arrives). I hail o bros Octomber, why you dey call me nah?
(everyone laughs)
Octobersadlaughing) I call you say make u kon help us confirm something ni o.
Omo Ibo: (eager) Wetin be that o!
October: Nor worry again, you don confirm am already.
Omo Ibo: Shoooow!!! Broda Octomber, Na like dis you wan dey take me do yeye in front of dis new month ( points to November).

October: Sorry, but sincerely you don confirm the thing already. You fit dey go now.
(everyone laughs).
Omo Ibo: (leaving the scene, soliloquizing) Walahi, dat Octomber get wahala die. Thank God say November don come. Very soon now, December go come, we go celebrate Xmas. New year go follow am for Jenuwari, Febuwari go follow am...

October:So, Sammy you see your life(pokes Sammy funnily)
Sammy Hoe: Oga go Sidon jare. You don expire joor. As a matter of fact, na only Omo IBO recognises you as Octomber.

October: I don expire abi?(he snaps his finger) We go meet next year nah.
Sammy Hoe: (slightly afraid) Na true o! For independent day abi?
October: Sure nah!!(October exited)

November: Now back to present Sammy...
Sammy Hoe: Wait first...(Looking towards October's direction).
November: Sammie!! Face me and forget about the past jare!!!

Sammy Hoe: Come o...you sure say October nor go waylay me next year like this. I fear im threat o.

November: (laughing) October be the most friendly person for this naija since 1960 wey naija become independent. So, that is why naija dey celebrate am first day im dey show face every year.

Sammy Hoe: October 1?

November: Exactly! Sammy let's leave talk talk alone for now make we begin do wetin we go do in the next 30 days jooor. You know say we must cover the syllabus o.

Sammy Hoe: How we go start now?
November: Let's start with our manual or user guide.
Sammy Hoe: Wetin be that?
November: Bible...abi you don forget am?
Sammy Hoe: (sighs)

November: Na so u do last month wey you nearly regret am. You wan do same with me? After you go say How you wish you can go to the past to make right something wrong. If you nor start your month with the word of God how you nor go regret? Oya...afara...go bring your bible now now, else wetin happen for 1921 go repeat hinsef.

Sammy Hoe: Wetin?

November: leave that one for another time...nor be my mouth you go hear am(bringing out pankere). Oya...Sammy...run go bring your bible or chop cane.

(Sammy Hoe fled to bring his bible)

November: Now let's get more serious. No more pidgin again. Speak pure English...now open to the book of Genesis chapter 1 vs 1...begin read am...

(Sammy Hoe reads and didn't want to stop).
Sammy Hoe: (After 1 hour)Kai! ( looks round but didn't see November) this word of God sweet die.
November: Tru tok, but I tok say no more yarning broken English. U just yarn am again.
Sammy Hoe: Which one you dey yarn?
November: ha! Na true o(smiling)
Sammy Hoe: Hmm...I like your happy face o. Happy November. Happy New Month...

To be continued...
lol sammie...gr8 job u did here...u jst put d 1st smile of november on ma face...dat is 2 xai am gone b smiling true-out ds month...HAPPY NOVEMBER!

1 Like

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 12:16pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ha sammy, me like ur conversation with the EMBER MONTHS. Call dem come my side me sef wan learn manual.

1 Like

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 1:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
Grace Ezeh: Bia, Nkpume, which one u no dey nah? Finish dat story 'the last star'. And stop keeping I and ma mum in suspense
Chineke!!! You and your mum? *hands on head*....
Don't be vexed dear, i will sure update today.
Btw, always leave your comment there. It helps yours sincerely a lot.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 1:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
CHAPTER TWO
Hope advanced to enter in. As he moved close to the building, he became scared. However, he climbed the little steps and halted. A heavy door stood ahead of him, which he must need to either push or pull as he thought. He stood before the door and his thought dilated. He pulled but the door remained like a strong bull. Then he pushed it in, but nothing happened. Hope stared up and looked at a signpost standing over his head. The signpost had something written on it with light; the light was beaming in blinks. Hope read in tension: EMBASSY OF… The rest of the words had been obliterated. Hope withdrew a little bit and drew in air with his mouth. Then he found a man close by. The man looked a bit similar to Drunkward of Happy-Go-Lucky his hometown, but his complexion was quite different from Hope’s.

“Sir…” Hope was not sure how he would put it. “Please how do I open this door?”
The man burst into laughter.
“Are you new here?”
“Yes sir,” said Hope.
“I can see you’re trying to open the door into the Embassy of Embarrassment where you’ll then have your name penned down into Mr. Deceptionist’s book. Go on, knock the door and if it wouldn’t open then kick it, and…it’ll surely open for you.” The man giggled and went away.
Hope stood for a while, staring at the man. At last he took a bold step to advance towards the door again. It was cold out there, but Hope hadn’t felt it because the Coat of many colours he had on him was made of felt. Hope was now confident that it would open, having now meditated on the words of Father Sage his mentor back then in Happy-Go-Lucky: Knock and it shall be opened unto you. He looked straight at the transparent convex door and knocked it hard. When it would not open, he began to kick annoyingly at it. Hope noticed a group of young ones, around his age, forming a cluster close by and holding some sophisticated gadgets in front of their faces. He had no idea what they were doing, but he realized that they all had the commonest complexion, perhaps the complexion indigenous to the Island of Greatness. Hope felt inferior to them as he set his eyes on them. Therefore he intensified his kick on the door so he could get in quick.

In a short time, the cluster had grown thick on him. They were even chanting now, making him a laughing-stock. All of a sudden he saw a button beside the convex door and on it was written: Button of Butt In

1 Like

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 1:15pm On Nov 01, 2013
Nkpume Iko:
Chineke!!! You and your mum? *hands on head*....
Don't be vexed dear, i will sure update today.
Btw, always leave your comment there. It helps yours sincerely a lot.
I nor dai update again, make I first go gulp down dat ya tory wey mama and pikin dey enjoi....house I dey come back later o
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
nice c0nversi0ns with mber padis...sammy,8th 0f this m0nth ma my birthday 0h...n0 f0rget.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
Leebliss13: nice c0nversi0ns with mber padis...sammy,8th 0f this m0nth ma my birthday 0h...n0 f0rget.
Wow!!! make I kon go dey ready for my birthday gift be dat o...Happy Birthday in advance sha...
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 01, 2013
Sammy Hoe:
I nor dai update again, make I first go gulp down dat ya tory wey mama and pikin dey enjoi....house I dey come back later o
You don kon read am?
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 11:41pm On Nov 01, 2013
Nkpume Iko:
You don kon read am?

sure sure, i am still on it...the geologists...Michael and co...very nice and exciting write-up.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 11:47pm On Nov 01, 2013
bak 2 bznez
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 11:51pm On Nov 01, 2013
Hope felt he heard the voices of Commonsense and Discretion asking him to push the button. Without hesitating, he pushed in the Button of Butt In to avoid being the butt of their funny remarks further, and the door gave way. He stepped in but found another door (a concave one this time) before him, closed up. Hope remained in it for a while, then he began to hear a voice asking him to step out again. He took the voice for the voice of Commonsense or Discretion and stepped out. Just then, a man from the crowd watching him came close. Hope was doubtful whether he would be of help.

“Hey, young man, you can’t go in there with this metal on your neck,” said the man. Hope looked at his neck and remembered the Medal of the Achievers his two friends gave him earlier.

“So…sir, what should I do?” Hope asked slowly.

“Drop your medal in this palm,” the man said calmly. He also had the indigenous complexion. As Hope would drop it, the man said, “Wait!” Quickly, he tucked a hand into his pocket and poked the hand into a white glove. Then with a frown he held the hand towards Hope again and commanded him to drop it.

“But why did you put on that?” Hope said in amazement.

“Are you blind?” the man screamed suddenly. “Are you going to stain me with your chain of bondage, which you have before on your inferior complexioned neck? I can’t bear the painful sight of you shameless inferior nonentities coming here to contaminate our superior complexions and terminate our joy: this issue is becoming complex day by day, yet our rulers are not doing anything about it. Anyway…just—just drop that slavish thing in here, which they lavished upon you.”

Hope was engulfed in embarrassment. Is this the Island of Greatness he had fought with all his life to reach? he thought. Is Doubt my uncle not wiser than Father Sage my mentor? Doubt began to set in his heart.

Hope did not hesitate to drop it, his boredom necessitating the action, for he had borne enough insult already. He pushed the button again and, just like before, the first door opened for him. He got in quickly and watched the door enclose him in. He was trapped between two doors, gaping like an aged ape in a cage, for the doors had formed a cylindrical shape round about him now.

Hope’s heart was thumping fast. Luckily, the second door opened for him and he got in.

Hardly had he stepped into the large building when a man of Superior Complexion dumped a young man of Inferior Complexion, whose hands and legs were bound, into the doors: himself had to bump into the doors so he could go with his prey. Hope caught glimpse of the one in bounds and he looked familiar to him a bit. As a matter of fact, he looked very much like Hope’s race.

“Mr. Backhander!” a thin voice came from within. “What right do you have to embarrass us and arrest a man resting in our embassy? That right of yours is outrightly wrong!” The voice owner came around but the one in question had left already. The voice owner saw Hope and looked steadfastly on him; he was of the inferior complexion as well.

“Hey, young man, what are you here for?” said the man, extending his hand for a shake, but Hope was shaking visibly already, for he feared being bundled out as well, having pondered on the word Deceptionist he had heard earlier. He thought that the Deceptionist in question was the one now standing face to face with him.

“Young man, I’m talking to you.”

“Em, er…I’m Hope from Happy-Go-Lucky town,” said Hope in apprehension.

“My name is Just,” the man said. “I work in this embassy.” Before they would discuss further, a man came around, a permanent cruel look dwelling on his face. The wrinkles on his head were as much as Mother Witch’s own, the ugliest person in Hope’s town back then. The man had a little goatee on his chin and a large bolo tie tied to his fat neck like a cat’s cradle woven between ten fingers. He had a bended back and his eyes had sunken in, his forehead casting shadows on them. Wide potholes stood permanently on his cheeks, but they had nothing in common with dimples.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Karevwite: 8:04am On Nov 04, 2013
sammie ooo!....wat ve we done 2 deserve ds hunga strike
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by SHARA33: 2:06pm On Nov 04, 2013
Sammie pls update dis story nw, i hope 2 finish it ASAP.please...... smiley
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 2:51pm On Nov 05, 2013
I am very very sorry o. it is due to lack of electrity coupled with GPRS unavailability in the village I found myself o. I will update ASAP.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 05, 2013
.... ...
Story Continua a....Victoria ascerta...

The man faced Mr. Just and yelled, “Just…you just keep screaming there. What rights have you to challenge them? Are they not the owner of the land? Leave them to do whatever they wish.”
“But…sir, it’s against the law.”
“Seal your lips, Just, and keep shut!” said the man with angered countenance.
“I can’t do that,” said Mr. Just. “I’ll fight for justice till the last drop of my blood!”
Hope stood still. He could not decipher who was the Deceptionist of the two. Mr. Just seemed more of a Deceptionist to him; at least the other man seemed to be speaking out his own mind. He thought he had the voice of Commonsense telling him so.
“I’m your superior here, Just, therefore—”
“But you don’t deserve my respect, because you connive with those who say they have Superior Complexion to—”
“Hold it!” the elderly man screamed at Mr. Just. There and then, Hope believed he now knew the deceiver of the two—the superior one. He even thought that he heard the voice of Discretion to that end. The old man ordered Mr. Just to leave his presence. When he had left, the old man turned left, faced Hope and said, “Who are you?”
“Hopefulness,” said Hope. The old man laughed, showing off his cayenne-coloured decaying teeth. Hope wasn’t sure of the cause of his laughter.
“Commoner Province?”
“Exactly,” said Hope.
“Welcome,” said the man. “Here is a home away from home. Therefore feel at home in this Embassy. Come over to my desk so I can interrogate .you further.” The man began to lead him away. When they got to his desk, he found a thick paper having the name RECEPTIONIST on it. He began to have a rethink, believing he now had inkling. Perhaps he’s not the Deceptionist, he thought.
“As you can see, Woefulness, here’s my name on the paper…” the man tilted the hilts of his glasses and glanced secretly at Hope. He found the boy looking abashed. “What?” the man asked.
“My name is not Woefulness sir,” Hope spoke up.
“Did you not tell me that was your name?”
“I said Hopefulness,” said Hopefulness.
“I’m sorry young man,” the man said, flipping through a file amidst the ones piled up on his desk. “From which town in the Commoner Province?”
“Happy-Go-Lucky town,” said Hope.
“Ah! The town of the old priest called Sage who predicted, eighteen years ago, that a boy born to the family of the Mediocres would make it to the Island of Greatness.”
“How do you know that?” Hope was intrigued, since he was the boy in question now.
“Ha! Ha! Ha!” the man laughed. “I was an ardent worshipper in the old man’s temple until he predicted that a baby, who was born then, would make it to the Island of Greatness. I hated him greatly for that prophecy then.”
“Why?” asked Hope.
“That man didn’t pronounce on me, his close friend, the prophecy of getting here, instead he chose to do that on a baby, despite the fact that I have journeyed from a far country to hear his Wisdom, bringing gifts with me. Immediately, I left the man and joined myself to Mr. Atheist, whose influence brought me here fifteen years ago; not even through the River of Achievement, but by the Aircraft of Influence.” The man coughed. “It’s eighteen years now and his boy hasn’t arrived. That Sage is false.”
Hope kept silent.
The man cleared his throat and stroked his goatee.
“Rumour told me that the man was airing it everywhere that I forsook him for ephemeral things and travelled to Mr. Atheist in the Synagogue of Sinners. I’m glad now that I got here successfully, but the man died with all his people, including Knowledge and the Faiths, his nephews. They all ended their lives in Go-Lucky, only I came here alive.”
“Who told you these people are dead?”
“Rumour of course!”
“Rumour?” Hope was shocked. “Which Rumour?” he asked in doubt.
“Are there any two Rumours in history?” said the man. “Rumour, the son of Mr. History.”
Hope was astounded. He wondered how the Rumour he knew in Happy-Go-Lucky had managed to get to the Island of Greatness just within a very short moment to pass the false information to the man. However, Hope said, “Sir…the Sage is not dead, as well as Knowledge and the Faiths. In fact, they are all well; as well as Mr. Health himself.”
“Stop that riddle young man and bridle your diddy little tongue because you know no diddly about this!” he screamed at him. “Rumour told me that Mother Witch of Happy-Go-Lucky now has the burnt heads of Knowledge and the Faiths in a goblet and Father Sage died under the rubble of his own destroyed temple.”
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 05, 2013
How u dey Michaellegend?
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 5:56am On Nov 06, 2013
story continuation...

Hope laughed, now fearlessly. Then he said, “I am he—the baby Father Sage predicted would reach the Island of Greatness.”

“Shut up!” the man yelled. “The name of the baby in question was…” The man kept silent suddenly. He stared at Hope and said, “Did you say your name is Hopefulness?”

“Exactly!” Hope said. The man was subdued. He was totally speechless, since such was precisely the name of the baby back then.

Mr. Deceptionist’s face was misted up with perspiration and Hope perceived that he had guilty conscience. The man could no more look straight into Hope’s face. To displease him the more, Hope said, “Sir…what then is your purpose of coming to this town when you couldn’t build the Bridge of Influence to link your town to here for the past fifteen years?”

“Er—em…Hope…uh…” The man could not speak for shame. He rose up and demanded a minute to excuse himself. He soon returned. “Hope—come this way; come this way,” he beckoned on him, now treating him gently. Hope followed him, but was careful of his steps.

“Sir, where are you leading me?” Hope asked suspiciously.

“The authenticity of your credentials must be checked,” said the man kindly. “Never worry, Hope. Everything is under control now. This is just formality, just to be sure that you indeed passed through the River of Achievement to this Island and not through the River of Haste.”

Hope was brought before a contraption. He stood like a complete novice as he stared at it.

“Hope, if you truly passed through River Achievement or through any Bridge of Influence or through the Aircrafts of Influence, then a pair of fair Commonsense and Discretion would surely ensure that you have the right documents in your bag. You’ll need to put your bag on this thing for Verification of Verity.

“What’s this thing?” asked Hope.

“It’s the Sieve of Civilization?” said the man.

Hope was scared when the contraption began to cart away his bag. He had to hold it tight in fright, but Mr. Deceptionist laughed and assured him that nothing would happen to it. Hope obeyed and watched the bag slide through the contraption to the other side.

“Indeed, you’re from Happy-Go-Lucky,” the man was smiling. “Come over and pen down your name in there. Leave the bag here. You’ll come back for it later.”

Hope followed the man to a door. The man pressed a button and a man came to the door.

“Hi sir…Mr. Receptionist.”

“Hey, Mr. Accomplish, please give this young man an accommodation.”

“Where should I put him sir?” asked Accomplice.

“Are you asking? Can’t you see his complexion? Isn’t Inferiority Complex the best for him?”

“Yes,” Hope said. He had wished all the while to ask for that. It was just as though Mr. Deceptionist was speaking his mind.

“Hope, you’re a wise boy. Just go ahead, pen it down in Mr. Accomplish’s book and all would be accomplished,” said Deceptionist. “Inferiority Complex is where you’ll be, because of your inferior complexion.”

“Thanks so much, Mr. Receptionist,” said Hope.

“No thanks Hope, it’s only my duty,” said the man. “I’ll leave you with Mr. Accomplish now. Don’t forget to pick your bag beside the Sieve of Civilization before you go.” The man turned around to leave them. He turned to Hope suddenly and said, “Hope, lest I forget, don’t you listen to anyone you come across in this embassy except Accomplish and me alone. I’m sure Mr. Deceptionist would be lurking at a corner for you now, just to entice you with wrong advice. Please pay no heed to him.”

“Thanks. I’ll do exactly that sir.”

The man banged the door gently and walked away.

Mr. Accomplice called Hope’s attention to a book he had brought before him.

“Here, you’ll need pen down your name and the building you wish to dwell in. We have a lot of them—Superiority Complexes, Inferiority Complexes, Domiciles of Dominion, Condominium of Dominion, Chapels of Champions, the Hot Hell Hotel, Mansions of Manners—”

“Sir…don’t go too far. I’ve decided earlier to settle down with my colleagues in the Inferiority Complex. J—just let me pen it down.”

Mr. Accomplice passed a large book to Hope and he penned down everything required, then the man gave him a thick paper whose surface had the description to his apartment in the complex.

“There are maids in your apartment to help you with the cooking and in serving your food, washing your clothes and lot more. You have your apartment to yourself. Tomorrow, someone will pick you up and take you to the school you shall be attending here. In your bag, you have all it takes to stay in this Island. Just feel at home here. As he would turn to leave, Mr. Accomplice said, “Young man, there’s one more thing you’ll need to do for you to be eligible for an everlasting stay in this Island.”

“What s—sir?” he asked eagerly.

“You’ll need to be stripped off your Coat of many colours.”

“Why?” Hope asked quickly.

The man smiled and said, “Coat of many colours is only meant for this embassy. That’s what is needed for your access into this embassy. You’ll no more need it.”

“But—”

“Young man, your Coats of many colours would be kept in here for reference purpose. If there’s any problem and you’d be needing a proof, then you’ll call in here for it.”

Hope was almost giving in when he felt his mind asking him not to listen to him. He felt he heard the voice of Commonsense to that end.

“Sir—my coat is all I have on me. It’s not possible to put it off.”

“Don’t you worry, because we’ve made provision for that; Apparel of Appreciation is what you’ll have on you. To be sincere with you, it’s more good-looking fashion-wise than this old-fashioned coat you have on you. And all who see you in it shall appreciate you more than they would do when you wear the coat of many colours.”

“I’ll need see it first—sir,” said Hope, still doubting the man.

1 Like

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 06, 2013
The man rose to his full height and traipsed toward a large overhead wardrobe. He took out a piece of cloth. It glittered and flickered its golden blinks into Hope’s eyes. Instantly, Hope began to pull off his coat, but then he felt he heard Discretions voice this time, asking him not to accept the cloth. Hope took no heed to the voice but went ahead to collect the golden cloth from Mr. Accomplice.

“Put it on, it’s made of pure gold to cure cold and cater for your cataract.”

“I have no cataract,” said Hope.

“You can’t understand. Lest I forget, where is your Medal of the Achievers?”

Hope was stunned when he heard the man’s request.

“Will you be needing that too?”

“Yes,” he said. “A proof that you indeed came here through the great River of Achievement.”

“A hot-tempered man of superior complexion collected it from me while I was busy tampering with the door out there to get in here.”

The man grinned. “Don’t you worry, Hopefulness: he’ll give it to us later. You can go to the Inferiority Complex now, but…don’t forget to pick your bag as Mr. Receptionist told you earlier.”

“Okay…thanks a lot.”

Hope turned around in the apparel and began to leave. As he got to his bag, Mr. Just came out from a corner and whispered, “Hey—young man…”

“Don’t call me, Mr. Deceptionist!” Hope yelled at him. “I’ve been told about you in here and out there.”

“Please, listen to me—please listen,” the man was pleading, but his pleas fell on deaf ears as he quickly picked up the bag and began rushing towards the exit. The man rushed after him but Hope was faster. He had clicked the Button of Butt out and had stepped into the door. Mr. Just only looked at him through the transparent door as he exited the building.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 06, 2013
cool
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 7:33am On Nov 08, 2013
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU LEEBLISS13. I TRIED TO OPEN A THREAD FOR YOU WITH BIRTHDAY STORY BUT AFTER TYPING PLENTY PLENTY THINGS MY OPERAMINI MISBEHAVED AND THE MESSAGE WAS OFF HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU LEEBLISS13. I TRIED TO OPEN A THREAD FOR YOU WITH BIRTHDAY STORY BUT AFTER TYPING PLENTY PLENTY THINGS MY OPERAMINI MISBEHAVED AND THE MESSAGE WAS OFF.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Michaellegend(m): 6:32pm On Nov 08, 2013
Sammy Hoe: How u dey Michaellegend?
I'm good oo.
Nice updates...
Happy birthday LEEBLISS13. i wish u a prosperous and joyful year.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 10, 2013
CHAPTER THREE
All eyes were on Hope as he stepped out of the Embassy of Embarrassment. The look on the faces of the onlookers was strange this time, as though they had seen an alien who hailed from the moon over their heads. Hope felt they were only jealous of his glinting apparel—before, it was his multi-colour coat that was invoking jealousy in them, now his golden apparel. Some of them were following him from afar, staring strangely at him.
Hope didn’t pay attention to their stares. He hurried fast to get to the Inferiority Complex. When he got into the complex, the people there also made him the cynosure of their eyes.
“Hmm,” Hope sighed as he remembered the speech of his father some years back when he was trying to discourage him from getting to the Island of Greatness where he now found himself:
Furthermore, the pressure of fame will hit you hard from right and left and your enemies shall multiply ten times. Therefore Hope my son, consider these thoughts and let the advent of today’s event prevent you from venturing into the adventure.
“My father said it—the pressure of fame—now it’s happening,” he whispered to himself.
Hope unlocked the door to his apartment and got in. The rooms in his apartment were spacious and more precious to behold—better than the ones in the Flirts’ flats, which were the biggest in Happy-Go-Lucky his hometown.
“Wel—…” a feminine voice came up, but stopped abruptly. She had only partially entered the room when she saw Hope. She withdrew at once and Hope couldn’t find her anymore. Hope was shocked. He walked straight into the room she entered but didn’t find her there. He saw many fascinating dishes in there. Not minding the disappearance of the maid, Hope made himself comfortable by sitting comfortably at a table and picking up the dices of a nicely-sliced meal before him. He ate in haste and relished its taste.
Hope stared long at his apparently gorgeous apparel again and laughed aloud.
“Now I am here in the high land called Island of Greatness! I made it! I made it!”
With uncertainty, Hope ambled back to the large parlour like a disabled sable. The floor was well polished, shiny. Hope stared at the blue ceiling and became clueless when he saw an object glued to it. The object had three blades. When he saw it, he yelled, “Fancy! What’s this?” He feared it would chop off his head. He saw something on the wall, and when he turned a knob the thing on the ceiling began to roll, blowing cool breeze on him.
“Wow! Fan of Fancy!” he roared. Hope hadn’t seen such thing all his life. What they had back in his town were manual fans—handfan they’d called it. Everything here is automatic—the doors, the sieve and now—this fan, he thought.
Hope pulled off the apparel and changed into a nightgown he had taken from a wardrobe. A maid bowed her head to her, made his bed and began to take her leave.
“Hey!” Hope sounded to call back her attention. “Your name?”
“Humility,” she said without raising her face.
“Were you born into this Island? Or—you came here just as I did?”
“I was born into this island,” she said. “But into Humble background.”
“Humble background?”
“I mean my family name is Humble.”
“So—why are you made to serve me?”
“I was born into the family whose ancestors were slaves to the SCs here.”
“What’s SC?”
“Superior Complexioned,” she said.
“And what complexion is ours? IC?” Hope quipped.
“Exactly sire,” she replied. “Can I leave now?”
“Y—yes,” Hope hesitated, her great humility having facilitated his hesitation.
The bed upon which Hope would lie was huge, huger than Idle’s fat bed back in Happy-Go-Lucky town. Hope feared that the three children of Mr. Liar could pay him a visit, since he was now aware by the books he had read that they roam about seeking whom they would devour. Distance wouldn’t be a barrier to them at any instance for deception was their career from the inception of the earth.
Hope shut his eyes and opened them again when he felt a hand touch him.
“Hope, at last you’re here,” a voice came up. It was the voice of Evil Thought, the firstborn of Mr. Liar.
“You again?” Hope yelled at him. “Father Sage warned me not to give space to you.”
“Don’t judge us before you hear what we’d have to say,” Wishy-Washy spoke.
“Okay, say on,” he permitted.
“Hope, now you’re here, free at last,” said Evil Thought.
“What do you mean? Was I in bondage before?”
“You know you were. Have you forgotten how the Faiths and Father Sage have to be the ones dictating for you what you should do? Till date, Hope, you haven’t even dated someone, because you don’t have a lover, all because of the old man’s outdated school of thought, asking you to make covenant with your eyes not to think about a girl,” said Evil Thought.
“But it was a good advice, wasn’t it? At least it made me to remain a virgin till date.”
“A virgin?” The three sons of Mr. Liar in the name Evil Thought, Wishy-Washy and Daydream began to laugh.
“What is funny?” he asked.
“No one values virginity over here. What have they got to do with virginity? You’ll be the odd one out here if you decide to keep anything called virginity. Keeping virginity here is like keeping a coin from Happy-Go-Lucky town in your loin to spend it here,” said Evil Thought.
“So, what should I do?”
“Can’t you begin with Humility?”
“How? What?”
“What if you humiliate her chastity this night and chase her out hastily after chastising her? She should be sleeping in her room now—pretty angel with no gel on her pretty hair, yet looking charming and meaning no harm at all.”
“Keep shut Evil Thought!” Hope yelled at him.
Wishy-Washy stood before Hope and said, “How I wish you could humiliate Humility today, then she will hum her favourite songs towards you tomorrow and say…”
“Get behind me, you Wishy-Washy!” Hope screamed aloud in resistance and they fled, the three at once. Thereafter Hope found a sound sleep like a sound baby.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Seven Powers ( A Supernatural Story ) / Pictures From Akefest17 / Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.