Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,587 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas (10283 Views)

Pupils Of A Primary School Climbing Fence / A Primary School Where Pupils Wear Chelsea Jersey As Their Sportswear (Photos) / Lagos Pupils To Pay N10,000 For Admission Tests (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by bory09(m): 10:55am On Nov 01, 2013
k
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by deic9(m): 11:06am On Nov 01, 2013
for as many that ask for the name of the gas, i dont think that is the issue now. its being said that investigation is on. when the result comes out, i believe that will be made know. relocating the company is not a solution because location is not a solution. i think and believe the investigation will be carried out be the appropriate authorities. the investigation should be lead by the safety professionals to carry out the HAZARD ANALYSIS and RISK ASSESSMENT of the chemical factory if they are actually operation with the standard required and also to check what went wrong. the result should then be sent to the law enforcement agencies who should deal with them in accordance with the findings. of course I know for sure that if properly checked, the company will be fined big time. NOTE, most of the companies around us handle one chemicals or the other that is harmful to health and if not properly handle will lead to the same thing. so are we going to relocate all those companies ie, paint, rubber, cement, beverages to mention but a few? Those in charge should always check those companies and ensure they are up to date with there activities.
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by Lilimax(f): 11:12am On Nov 01, 2013
Handsomeemmy:

O K the name of the gas is LAUGHING GAS. bye grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
See your teeth like... sad
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by oweniwe(m): 11:37am On Nov 01, 2013
L.M Ayedun..:
Haba!! Chairman.
Investigations are still on-going about the gas Bros.
which kinda investigation? There should be some symbols on the containers there . . The gas should have certain properties and characteristics. . . It should have chemical reactions that'll make you identify it. . Type all that in google and you have all you need to know about the gas

So what are they investigating again?
whosefault:

make we tell una the name of the gas then una go use am rock havoc for the country abi. the one una don do never tire una?
na who be illiterate now? lol
you're wrong. . If people don't know about something, it can cause uncontrolled harm just as it did in the school. If the people know what it is and how to handle it, this incident would not have happened

For example, if there is LPG gas leak, people know what to do. . evacuate and don't do anything that can cause ignition. . Cover your nose and go lock/tighten/seal up d cylinder. . If there's fire outbreak, . We know we shouldn't use plain water to put it out. .

If you don't know anything about a hazardous material close to your vicinity, how can you protect yourself in event of emergency?

In the school, nobody knew anything. . They just continue inhaling the gas until people started fainting

Why do organizations carry out emergency drills?
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by beatricewebb: 11:44am On Nov 01, 2013
This could be an opportunity for lagose to own a chemical weapon
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by oweniwe(m): 11:58am On Nov 01, 2013
deic9: for as many that ask for the name of the gas, i dont think that is the issue now. its being said that investigation is on. when the result comes out, i believe that will be made know. relocating the company is not a solution because location is not a solution. i think and believe the investigation will be carried out be the appropriate authorities. the investigation should be lead by the safety professionals to carry out the HAZARD ANALYSIS and RISK ASSESSMENT of the chemical factory if they are actually operation with the standard required and also to check what went wrong. the result should then be sent to the law enforcement agencies. . .
Oga o. . I weep for Nigeria.

No wonder, simply incidents that can be solved with simple research takes a long time to solve. . That reminds me of the time when this "half human half fish" issue came up in ibadan. . To identify a squid was a problem and resulted in the arrest of innocent people.

Point of correction, you cannot investigate what you don't know anything about. That is why some crimes go unresolved because there are no clues. .

How can you carry out risk analysis or assessment on something you don't have details on? If a toxic waste is dumped somewhere, you don't just go and pack it away. . You identify the waste and its properties first before you decide how you're going to handle it
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by oweniwe(m): 12:05pm On Nov 01, 2013
beatrice webb: This could be an opportunity for lagose to own a chemical weapon
ya. . . I just wondered why they didn't evacuate on time. . . Why they waited for the gas to engulf d whole school before they started running
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by Nobody: 12:13pm On Nov 01, 2013
Potassium chlorochromate can release highly toxic chlorine gas if heated, the kids are lucky to have survived. A dark-room should'nt be located anywhere near a school.
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by Femoooo(m): 12:35pm On Nov 01, 2013
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by seangy4konji: 1:12pm On Nov 01, 2013
it was one girl that that eat EWA alagbado dat released what we call ISO and messed up the whole enviroment....she put some garri and tool alomo before she released it..it can be a disaster..worst that the JAPAN leake even....EWA yen noni.
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by adetsim(m): 1:24pm On Nov 01, 2013
Worthyisthelamb: The problem with Nigerians is that we are more reactive than proactive. We seem to be the grand master of post mortem. We only react when a catastrophe occurs whereas we are in good stead to take proactive measures against such occurrence.
Why siting a chemical laboratory in a proximity of a school peopled by children? Even if the lab is run illegally where are the relevant monitoring agencies to detect it and shut down the factory before grievous harm is inflicted on the innocents.

Thanks Worthyisthelamb, you spoke out my mind. We Nigerians are too lackadaisical.
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by kommiejewel(f): 1:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
Dat's wat u get wen u situate a residential estate in an area filled wit factories,labs, e.t.c. .D estate wl ofcourse attract schls,eateries, e.t.c. . I hav constant headaches becos Mikano is ryt @ my backyard. .sad
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by 3ace(m): 2:31pm On Nov 01, 2013
Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Razaq
Fadipe, said it was discovered that a photo
laboratory located in the complex was
emitting the substance.
Why should this guy be one granting interview about environmental pollution? Where were the officials of LASEPA? Well, maybe they were late at the scene and the reporters had to ask those that were available.
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by spade: 3:42pm On Nov 01, 2013
f rain c: i don't like insulting people online but i will say this,

must you always think with your foot?
if you don't have anything meaningful to contribut
then hang your fingers

Hellooooo? Do you have nothing else to do with your empty self except play 'Internet Policeman' to posts that are neither addressed to you nor made in reference to you?
Do you, for a second, think I give a majestic shhit if you like insulting people on the internet or not? undecided

Please, kindly get your ratchet asss out of my way. You're a nonentity.
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by seangy4konji: 3:52pm On Nov 01, 2013
can any one remember this song?who mess...tototolo mess...akara mess...na Mess things as i don talk am before....EWA(beans things)Dancing mc hammer...Hammer time
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by agehero13(f): 3:53pm On Nov 01, 2013
Paroman: haba, habatically, this case easy na. Omo na mess joor. They should check if there is any hausa boy in that class, the kind gas wey those guys dey throwey for yansh fit abort 8 months pregnancy self.
lolz
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by hariorh: 4:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
"Enters thread wearing gas mask, releases tear-gas, turns and runs out from thread"

grin
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by folu4real(f): 4:37pm On Nov 01, 2013
I witness the incident yesterday when I was going to Ikeja @catapilar bus stop near TFC. I saw a man rushing one of the student to Blue cross hospital infact cars had to stop for the students because they were running along with the man that carry the student. Unfortunately I board a bus with three of the students. One of them told me that she fainted even her teacher too, that they inhale unknown gas. God help us in this Nigeria. I wish the affected students a quick recovery.
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by Ama28(f): 6:15pm On Nov 01, 2013
How can you register your child in a school beside a laboratory?
This same thing I was discussing with my friend whose child is in a school beside a road construction company and they heat and mix their coal tar there! Some of these are air borne.

One school around my place was a former poultry and we pursued them because of sanitation. The owner simply converted the place to a school and parents who know all this enrol their kids there. He is an entrepreneur and I can't keep bugging him but if he can not keep a poultry clean how can he look after your ward?

Its so disgusting that the kids are at the receiving end.
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by Iykeman01: 6:39pm On Nov 01, 2013
This is 24 season 9...let d ctu find out d name of d gas
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by saintdeby(m): 8:13pm On Nov 01, 2013
yunglykmine: Lagos again?
Sometime lastweek, it was a wall that collapsed on students, now 22 pupils inhaled gas.

So bad.
kini eleyi n so lenu bi omo pry 2, no sense for u @all.
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by jpphilips(m): 7:45pm On Nov 02, 2013
ritababe: First of all, whats the name of the gas, secondly why was the lab placed near a school?

hydrogen sulphide or ammonia
Re: 22 Lagos Pupils Faint After Inhaling Gas by jpphilips(m): 7:52pm On Nov 02, 2013
oweniwe: ya. . . I just wondered why they didn't evacuate on time. . . Why they waited for the gas to engulf d whole school before they started running

so you evacuate when someone farts abi?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sweet Sixteen By Bolaji Abdullahi – Jamb Recommended / Ignorance Or Laziness: Which Is Worse? / Nigerian Emerges Best Student In Ghanaian University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.