Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

The Bible Says Marrying A Divorcee Is A Sin - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Bible Says Marrying A Divorcee Is A Sin (3862 Views)

Marrying A Divorcee And Divorce Is A Sin. Why Are The Jw's Encouraging It? / 10 Facts About Divorce & Dating/Marrying A Divorcee / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Bible Says Marrying A Divorcee Is A Sin by Esss(m): 10:47pm On Jul 11, 2008
Matt 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Wither the bible??

Christian scholars please explain this.
Re: The Bible Says Marrying A Divorcee Is A Sin by tpia: 10:54pm On Jul 11, 2008
what's the question?

1 Like

Re: The Bible Says Marrying A Divorcee Is A Sin by Esss(m): 10:56pm On Jul 11, 2008
Is that right?? Is marrying a divorcee still a sin cause I see divorcees being wedded in church almost every other saturday.
Re: The Bible Says Marrying A Divorcee Is A Sin by AKO1(m): 12:12am On Jul 12, 2008
Lets look at it in context:

27"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.'[e] 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

31"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.'[f] 32But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Jesus is juxtaposing the Old Testament Laws with the new ones He is now giving.

The only legal basis for divorce as far as God is concerned is adultery (unfaithfulness) and death. From what I see, Jesus is condemning divorce as we know it today. Divorc used to be and has become as common and as institutionalised as marriage with the signing of papers that Jesus mentioned, etc. He wants us to understand that under the New covenant, divorce is much more serious than just signing papers. It has spiritual implications.

I see divorcees being wedded in church almost every other saturday.

Yeah, but it's wrong from what we have seen. They are disobeying God.

P.S. I aint a bible scholar yet!!!
Re: The Bible Says Marrying A Divorcee Is A Sin by Nobody: 12:18am On Jul 12, 2008
see it as the bible says it. shocked
Re: The Bible Says Marrying A Divorcee Is A Sin by tpia: 12:48am On Jul 12, 2008
I'm not too clear about this verse really.

But I think the ancient isrealite males were too quick to divorce their wives for flimsy excuses, so maybe thats the reason behind the verse.

For example, divorcing your wife just because dinner was late, you're in a bad mood, all the kids are girls, etc etc are allegations that shouldnt hold water anywhere.

Divorcees getting married in church- maybe their marriages fell apart because of their or the husband's adultery? don't know.

<<shrugs>>

In any case, the responsibility here is clearly on the husband, which to me is the main point. I stand to be corrected though.
Re: The Bible Says Marrying A Divorcee Is A Sin by MCUsman(m): 12:24pm On Jul 13, 2008
A_K_O:

Yeah, but it's wrong from what we have seen. They are disobeying God.

A lot things are wrong in the Chruch. Gay Marraige, Gay Bishops, Sex before Marraige, polygamny etc. A.K.O. the west that shaped christianity to suit thier humanistic culture and tradition will continue to twist your religion and interpreate it differently. Christain scholars and christian parents do not speak too frequet on fornication as it is widely opposed in Isslam. Fornication in christainty is seen as a minor offence that should be ignored. The simple reason is that in the West Sex is just Sex.
Re: The Bible Says Marrying A Divorcee Is A Sin by lucabrasi(m): 12:39pm On Jul 13, 2008
so is pastor chris okotie wrong to have hooked up with the lady?

(1) (Reply)

Can God Forgive Satan Or Can Satan Ask For Forgiveness? / The Bible Is The Most Contradicting And Confusing Book Ever. / Loons Badboy Christian Rapper Turns To Islam Now 'goodboy'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.