Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,752 members, 7,820,593 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week (32827 Views)

ASUU May Call Off Strike On Tuesday. / ASUU May Call-off Strike Next Week / ASUU May Call Off Strike. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by zutu(m): 8:03am On Nov 06, 2013
THERE are strong indications that the protracted strike by Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, that has crippled academic activities for over four months may end in the next one week, Vanguard has gathered.

Vanguard sources at the Monday night meeting between the Federal Government led by President Goodluck Jonathan, the leadership of ASUU, Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, and Trade Union Congress of Nigeria, TUC, said both the Federal Government and leaders of ASUU had shifted grounds and leaders of ASUU would meet with its organ (National Executive Council) to brief members of the outcome and then take necessary action.

One of the sources told Vanguard: “Both the Federal Government and the leadership of ASUU are now on the same page. Both parties have shifted grounds. The leadership of ASUU will now meet with its appropriate organ to brief its members and take the necessary action.

“ASUU is in the right position to inform the public after meeting with its organ. However, I can tell you that all things being equal, the strike should be over in the next one week.”

The meeting between the government and the labour leaders started at about 2:30pm on Monday and ended at about 3:30am on Tuesday with a 15 minutes break.

Fagge, Wogu speak

National President of ASUU, Dr. Nasir Isa Fagge, emerged from the meeting and curtly told newsmen that his delegation was taking back a message from President Jonathan to their members.

He declined to disclose what the message was and when asked whether he was satisfied with the outcome of the meeting, the ASUU leader told journalists not to put words in his mouth.

He said: “We have had a lengthy meeting with Mr. President, rubbing minds on how best to address the problem of university education in this country.

“We now have a message from Mr. President that we are going to take to our members and we are expecting that our members will respond appropriately to his message.”

The Minister of Labour, Chief Emeka Wogu, who also attended the meeting, told journalists after the meeting that certain mileage had been attained and expressed the hope that the university lecturers would call off the strike soon.

He said: “The President of ASUU told you that they are going back with a message from the Federal Government to their members and the message is full of high expectation and hope.

“Our prayer is that they will come back with a positive outcome. They might even not come back to meet us. They might take decisions that will meet your expectations.”

According to the Minister, what government brought to the negotiation table were offers that were in tandem with the 2009 agreements between it and ASUU, pointing out that since the strike was based on the 2009 agreement, the government did not go beyond that agreement.

Roll call

President Jonathan, who led the Federal Government’s delegation, was joined by Vice President Namadi Sambo; Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala; Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim; Supervising Minister of Education, Nyesom Wike; and minister of Labour, Emeka Wogu.

The ASUU delegation was led by its President, Dr. Nasiru Fagge; past presidents such as Professor Abdulahi Sule-Kano, Dr. Dipo Fashina and Professor Festus Iyayi.

Other members of the delegation were Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, Prof. Victor Osodeke, Prof. Suleiman Abdul, Dr. Victor Igbum and Mr. Michael Odunmoraye.

President NLC, Abdulawahid Omar and TUC, Bobboi Kaigama, also attended the meeting.

While exchanging pleasantries with the ASUU delegation, President Jonathan had told them “I hope this strike will end today. Our children have suffered enough. We must find a solution.”

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/strike-fg-ASUU-shift-grounds/

2 Likes

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by Goldenheart(m): 8:29am On Nov 06, 2013
I have Been seeing these headlines © they started strike...
ASUU may do this...
ASUU may do that...
undecided

1 Like

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by Nobody: 2:51pm On Nov 06, 2013
[size=20pt]WHO IS THIS lipsrsealed ^above^ that didnot allow me to lipsrsealed nywayz ASUU, if you call off the strike, if wouldnt changed the fact that oduah is getting ready to order 5 new apollo spaceships angry[/size]

[size=20pt]chei! I almost forgot to say that they are all armoured grin[/size]

3 Likes

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by jigawatts(m): 2:52pm On Nov 06, 2013
I hope so

2 Likes

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by Fadelex(m): 2:52pm On Nov 06, 2013
booked...comin back later to comment
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 06, 2013
chai so dem wan spoil my xmas holiday .na wa o
at all at all na im bad pass

1 Like

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by Akinlekanwr(m): 2:53pm On Nov 06, 2013
I'll be hoping for the best...
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by charitybabe: 2:53pm On Nov 06, 2013
i can't wait for the strike to be called off grin

1 Like

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by Sard(m): 2:54pm On Nov 06, 2013
We hope that happens soon. On a lighter note, some other NLers have created threads similar to this earlier, now that this thread is on front-page, those guys would feel like (pix attached). Thanks to klib(hope the moniker is correct) for dis pix. wink grin

2 Likes

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by agrovick(m): 2:54pm On Nov 06, 2013
Awon eleyi o ma serious

1 Like

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by chimchim1(m): 2:55pm On Nov 06, 2013
A̶̲̥̅♏ coming let m̶̲̥̅ƹ read 1st

1 Like

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by PasD(m): 2:56pm On Nov 06, 2013
Is ASUU on strike?

Signs of end time
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by kennyonthrone(m): 2:56pm On Nov 06, 2013
I pray ooo I jst nid 2 gradge dis year
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by Nobody: 2:57pm On Nov 06, 2013
They should wait till next year o

3 Likes

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by ninocia18(m): 2:57pm On Nov 06, 2013
Now I have started making money. Omo, they have made their money. Lemme make mine abegii. Resume on January.
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by adebayo201: 2:58pm On Nov 06, 2013
smh
even if they call it off, it still no affect me. Na this placement issue dey my mind!
IT things!
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by McLuhan(m): 2:59pm On Nov 06, 2013
My question is: Why didn't Jonathan call this meeting earlier? Wouldn't that have saved students from a lot of pain? Is it a sign of responsible leadership to have waited so long, when they knew the right thing to do all along?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by albiol: 3:00pm On Nov 06, 2013
Why is it taking them sooooo long to have anec meeting to call off d strike if na to start d strike now na sharp sharp tins oo
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by Damboy96(m): 3:00pm On Nov 06, 2013
what is ASUU
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by fuadnero(m): 3:00pm On Nov 06, 2013
until then
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by Victosin09(f): 3:00pm On Nov 06, 2013
Lets watch and see....
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by VivianWatson22: 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2013
We have been chasing ASUU since, rubbish

1 Like

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by mspee(f): 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2013
Ms_pee is typing a message... lipsrsealed
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by uzeba(m): 3:02pm On Nov 06, 2013
how i wish that the passion with which some
guys want this strike to be called off will still
be maintained in their studies after the
strike is called off. Although some
desperately want to go back to school to
continue the give me money give me money
attitude. Please have a resolution and be
transformed by the strike, ok?

3 Likes

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by packman: 3:03pm On Nov 06, 2013
[size=15pt]OOOO ABEG THEY SHOULD CONTINUE THE STRIKE NAW!!!!!!!!!!
ALL THIS LAZY OLD MEHN angry angry angry[/size]

1 Like

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by olumaxi(m): 3:04pm On Nov 06, 2013
Damboy96: what is ASUU
ASUU is a striking body..thanks

3 Likes

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by alons: 3:08pm On Nov 06, 2013
i just de obverse shocked
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by deebrain(m): 3:10pm On Nov 06, 2013
{yawns}......

Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by xclusive43(m): 3:13pm On Nov 06, 2013
Dem(ASUU) don tire.. Staying at home no cheese.....
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by oyedun82(m): 3:14pm On Nov 06, 2013
[size=20pt]i pray so[/size]
Re: ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week by uzeba(m): 3:14pm On Nov 06, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Missing OAU Law Student: Reasons to Doubt Her Claim of being an Oau Law Student / Fire Guts University Of Maiduguri Hostel, Female Students Injured (Photo, Video) / Help!!! I'm In Love With My Female LECTURER!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.