Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,394 members, 7,815,840 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

Try This Drabble With A Twist. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Try This Drabble With A Twist. (2116 Views)

A Twist In The Tale (short Story) / Diary Of A University Girl Episode 3 (A Twist In Time) / The Twist 1- A Story Of Love, Lust And Betrayal! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Try This Drabble With A Twist. by jummiee(f): 12:47pm On Jul 13, 2008
Hello Landers!
Get your creative juices flowing, try your hands and lit wit on this drabble with a twist.
Two rules:  1. Your story should be between 200- 400 words
       2. Your story must start with the sentence “where were you last night”
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by lammy2(f): 6:07pm On Jul 13, 2008
“Where were you last night?” Alhaji bellowed angrily as he slid into the back seat of the sleek white hummer jeep.

From the driver’s seat, i glanced at him nervously via the rearview mirror. Alhaji was dressed in a white lace agbada,
his signature look. I have never seen him wearing anything but white since I was employed by him two years ago.
It was rumored by some people in town, that Alhaji wore only white because he belonged to a secret society.
The lace fabric of his agbada was more than six months of my salary, i should know, my mother used to sell lace
at a high end shop at Victoria Island, but that was long before, the shopping complex burnt down.
My mother lost all her investments in that fire and became indebted to the tune of tens of millions. The bank foreclosed
on our home at VGC and we were forced to move into my aunt’s cramped two bedroom apartment at mushin.

After the fire, my mum who had always been emotionally fragile became a nervous wreck. I had to drop out of university
where i was enrolled as a medical student to earn a living and support her and my siblings, but even then, things were rough,
there were days when all we ate were garri and groundnut. Perhaps if dad were alive, it would have been a different story.
Alhaji’s voice broke through my reverie. “James are you going to answer my question or continue to stare at me
through that mirror like a slowpoke? Alhaji demanded harshly. “After all, there are so many unemployed people out there,
and if you cant satisfy my demands, then quit, so that someone who needs a job can work for me. He added harshly,
as he lit a cigarette.

I cursed the fates which made someone from a privileged background like me end up as a driver to an illiterate
but wealthy man like Alhaji. When dad was alive, we had it all; a driver, two maids, a gardener, and a cook.
Dad had a good job as an engineer at Mobil, and he ensured we had the best of everything, even after
his fatal motor accident, the company gave mum a hefty compensation, which she used to start her lace
business at Victoria Island, her business thrived, and she was able to support us in the lifestyle
we were accustomed to, but that awful fire changed everything. That was four years ago.

I schooled my features to look apologetic and humble as i turned back to reply Alhaji.
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by nanaboi(m): 9:20pm On Jul 15, 2008
"Where were you last night?" They always come up with some weak thread. I was in a class in Concordia college, Yola reading for my CCNA Discovery 1 test, punk. Does that answer your question?
The last string of these thoughts still abound when my phone rings.

'Where were you last night?' she goes in a query tone.

She's not my girlfriend. I met her at the NYSC orientation camp. We had a few ordinary chats, stole a kiss a couple of times and now she asks daft questions. I drain every pleasure from my tone and demand her sanity status in an "are you ok?"
She riled me. She knows me well enough to tell she has, or maybe she's pissed me off frequently enough to detect my anger response pattern - not like I'm a robot though.

'Where are you now?' she rephrases.

That would have been a far better beginning than echoing the lame line of this dumb thread I'm replying - that is me thinking. I dismiss her quickly with the obvious lie that I would call her back. She knows. An SMS comes through half a while later that sends my grey spinning; rhythms pick up pace in both my temples and my wits pack up and skedaddle. She's just trying to get me to apologize - that's it - why else would she be pregnant? Or do babies now join forces with ladies, I mean, form when they feel their "mother" ought to punish their, no, I can't call me that, that name.

Some to-be-or-not-to-be, then I call her back later.

"I'm at your door?" I say.

For some eternity, I stay mute while she sobs. I let her accuse me in a litany of the sins of men to which she adds nothing newer than at least a thousand years old. My mind is in her womb, scanning for fetal throbs, then in her face scanning for errors in make believe - for that's what it ought to be - that's what I pray it is.

'Please, don't do this part just yet. I'm sorry, but let's be calm.' Those were not premeditated. They just flowed freely from a seething stream of anxiety only being managed.

A strong brawn comes out from the adjoining room. I don't work out, I'm not huge but he is. I try not to think about him but he is all over the place though he's standing on just one spot.
Whoa! I know that look, no, I know that face. He is in her phone photos; he is her elder brother! Hmm,
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by ayinba1(f): 2:48pm On Jul 16, 2008
@nanaboi
Bad Boy, tsk, tsk,

@ all

Good twisty drabbles
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by Gamine(f): 5:20pm On Jul 16, 2008
Where were you last night? [/i]kept ringing in my ears as i thought about the last conversation
i had with Josh.
[i]How could he have known?, someone must have been watching me.

Now on my flight back home, i really needed to have some peace.

The plane ride was four hours long and i have to say the air-hostesses were at least
50% pure psychopath, after barking at me to shut my laptop, how else
could i take these memories off my mind, i needed to write something.

undecided undecided

Great all!
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by LASIEFAIRE(m): 6:59pm On Jul 16, 2008
" Where were you last night," she questioned.
" What! you don't care anyway. why border yourself asking?" I replied angrily.
Without expecting an answer, I headed for the room to prepare for the work I dreaded most. One glance at the wall clock, positioned below our wedding portrait, reminded me that I was about 30 minutes late for work. Quickly, I made my way for the shower. On average I spent 12 minutes in the shower- today's shower was bound to be shorter. I stepped into the bath tub, turned on the warm water,  for the first time in 48 hours, I felt slightly relaxed. Time went by as I continued to relish my momentary peace; not even the image of my wildly beard boss could hasten me.

I reached for the knob to turn the water down, but I couldn't my body was numbed by my thoughts.
What happened to us? I began to wonder as the image of our wedding portrait ran through my mind, We use to be bestfriends. We endured the worst part of highschool and college together. Everyone who met us knew we were meant to be together and so did I the first time we met. She stood in the midst of a ferocious crowd seeking help that was not forthcoming and I was at the other end conversating with the guys. When Jide notified us about an approaching teacher, I glance in the direction of the approaching teacher, but I was stuck on Kemi. Normally I would walk away as it was contrary to my  nature to help anyone, this time,however, something felt different. Kemi was looked too innocent and fragile to let be. I made my way to her sneaking pass the teacher.

"Are you new," I asked
" Yes, today's my first day in school," she replied
"Do you need help with something or getting somewhere?"
" I am looking for the biology class," she said
" Nice, I am heading there now, follow me," I hurriedly said as I led her to the class. This brought an end to my 15 day streak of missing class.

Over the years she always had the charm  over me: making me do what was right when I wanted to do wrong, calming me down when I was tensed. The past month has been different.
Did she lose are charm or did I prevent it from working? I questioned myself. Lately work has been intense and demanding and the proposed downsizing was fast approaching. Work was taking a toll on me and I was transferring my aggression on Kemi.

As I was shutting the water, an image of my beloved dad flashed by and he said like he always did when he was alive " always, family before work." I walked out of the shower into the room. Kemi sat on the bed crying profusely, when she noticed me she stood up,  she looked innocent and fragile like the first time I saw her. I fell on my knees and with my head down I crawled to her feet.
" Am sorry for hurting you. I know it's not an excuse but work has been difficult lately,  I love you, can you forgive me?" I said softly.
She lifted me up, hugged me tightly and said " I love you so much. I meant to tell you last week, but you know,  you got the job with Mobil."
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by nanaboi(m): 6:37pm On Jul 17, 2008
I didn't count my words - hope they meet with the rules of engagement
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by jummiee(f): 4:30pm On Jul 19, 2008
Nice drabbles, well done landers!
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by jummiee(f): 4:59pm On Jul 19, 2008
@ all, u guys did a good job,
this was actually a writing exercise in a book on creative writing. There were several writing exercises in the book, and they actually gave me a lot of ideas, i have written five stories.

i think nairaland has a lot of talent, was thinking that nairalanders ( both published and aspiring writers) should come together to form different writers clubs based on their genre of interest. These groups could work together on book projects like a collection of short stories/ collection of poems, the purpose of which is to get their work published at the end of the day.

What do u guys think?
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by Sisikill: 8:29pm On Jul 19, 2008
jummiee:

@ all, u guys did a good job,
this was actually a writing exercise in a book on creative writing. There were several writing exercises in the book, and they actually gave me a lot of ideas, i have written five stories.

i think nairaland has a lot of talent, was thinking that nairalanders ( both published and aspiring writers) should come together to form different writers clubs based on their genre of interest. These groups could work together on book projects like a collection of short stories/ collection of poems, the purpose of which is to get their work published at the end of the day.

What do u guys think?

I second this post!!
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by jummiee(f): 9:01pm On Jul 19, 2008
@ Sisikill

Hi dearie, i'm one of your biggest fans, i definitely wud luv to work with you, wots is ur genre of interest?
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by Sisikill: 9:19pm On Jul 19, 2008
jummiee:

@ Sisikill

Hi dearie, i'm one of your biggest fans, i definitely would love to work with you, wots is your genre of interest?

Hi,
Thank you and I'd be honored to work what with you too. Truthfully I'd be honored to work with anyone from Nairaland, like you said in your post, we have so many amazing writers, it does the heart good to see.

This is gonna sound silly but sometimes, I honestly can't tell what my genre is. . . lol. Reading-wise, I go for suspense and Psychological thrillers but writing. . . all I know is I don't or is it can't do romance and love.  grin
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by ayinba1(f): 9:31pm On Jul 19, 2008
@sisi
You can, but you probably don't want to. Just relax, take a deep breath (let go) and you'd be amazed at how much love and romance you can cook up.

Trust me grin
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by CH3COO(m): 9:32pm On Jul 19, 2008
ayinba i agree. please write soon so I can know whether to send you roses or a gift basket.
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by Sisikill: 9:36pm On Jul 19, 2008
ANYTHING FOR LOVE.

“Where were you last night?”
Every morning for the past two months I ask the same questions and get the same response. . . Silence. It didn’t matter really, I knew the answer , the reddish brown stain on his rumpled clothes gave him away. He had gone to her.

Tina.

Things changed when she came into our lives. We went from fun loving couple to strangers walking on egg shells. I tried to be understanding and patient but it was hard having to work things. . . our plans, around Tina. She was so needy, so fragile and Joshua was happy to be her knight in Shinning amour. I couldn’t help the hate I felt. . . not just for her but for him also. He was supposed to be mine, all mine, didn’t he know that?

I wanted to say something, something that will make him see me again, see the woman he had married.

My mouth opened and the words came out

“I. . . I made you breakfast”

Hate-filled eyes turn to me. My heart broke.

“Joshua,  please, let’s go back to how it was.” I begged clutching his arm in both hands “Please, Forget about her”

“I can’t!” he yelled , pulling away from me.

“You can. I can help you”

“I can’t. . . ” he paused and cleared his throat “I can’t do this anymore. . .”

“No! Don‘t say it” I begged

“I can’t pretend there’s something, when there is nothing” he continued

“ Please stop”

“Every night I go to her, I know it’s not right. . . believe me, I do. I know I should be home with my wife yet I sit there.”

He walked to the bar and grabbed a bottle of scotch, twisted the cap and drank straight from it. He stopped, wiped his mouth and looked at me.

“Do you know why?" he spat  "I can’t stand to be near you. God, I hate you. I hate you for what you did to us. I hate you for making have to go there

“I did it for us” I cried “We were dying. . . our love was dying”

“You killed our daughter, Sandra” he yelled angrily “You killed Tina. Instead of sleeping upstairs, our daughter lays in grave and I have to sit with her because she shouldn’t be alone. . . . she’s only a baby. She's. . . only. . . a. . .  baby”

The sound of his sobs fill the room.

Disclaimer - This a product of my imagination and bears no resemblence to anyone living or dead. . . at least no one I know. Just wanted to put it out there smiley
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by CH3COO(m): 9:41pm On Jul 19, 2008
lipsrsealed reserving comments until i work up the nerve to read.
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by Gamine(f): 9:43pm On Jul 19, 2008
Follo Follo.

@Sisi, Aaaw embarassed
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by Sisikill: 9:44pm On Jul 19, 2008
ayinba1:

@sisi
You can, but you probably don't want to. Just relax, take a deep breath (let go) and you'd be amazed at how much love and romance you can cook up.

Trust me   grin

Lmao! I've tried but when I get to the part of describing what they feel. . . "oh butterfly in her stomach, his heart stopped when he saw her" I find myself going "Oh for the love of God!" or "give me a freaking break. Jeez!" So you see, it's hopeless. embarassed

CH3COO:

ayinba i agree.  please write soon so I can know whether to send you roses or a gift basket.

Roses? Ughh!

Gift Basket - Hmmm, will it come with a bottle of arsenic and a Jar of Bromine? If yes. . . then hold the phones coz I'm off to the drawing board or in this case writing board.
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by Sisikill: 9:46pm On Jul 19, 2008
CH3COO:

lipsrsealed reserving comments until i work up the nerve to read.

Gamine:

Follo Follo.

@Sisi, Aaaw embarassed

ROTFLMAO! You guys are killing me!

Ain't love grand?  tongue
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by CH3COO(m): 9:50pm On Jul 19, 2008
Sisikill:

Lmao! I've tried but when I get to the part of describing what they feel. . . "oh butterfly in her stomach, his heart stopped when he saw her" I find myself going "Oh for the love of God!" or "give me a freaking break. Jeez!" So you see, it's hopeless. embarassed

Roses? Ughh!

Gift Basket - Hmmm, will it come with a bottle of arsenic and a Jar of Bromine? If yes. . . then hold the phones because I'm off to the drawing board or in this case writing board.

I don't want to kill the thread with my habitual flirting; however, it will come with a bottle of 2 molar Hydrochloric Acid in case I misbehave. Ughh at roses, but " cheesy " at diamonds?
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by CH3COO(m): 9:51pm On Jul 19, 2008
Gamine:

Follo Follo.

@Sisi, Aaaw embarassed
gamini ogini? biko puo, you said no and I accepted. what more?
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by Sisikill: 9:53pm On Jul 19, 2008
Yes, Yes don't derail the thread or you'll have us kicked out. tongue

Daimonds you say. . . hmmm, they are a girl's best friend. Okay why not.
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by CH3COO(m): 9:57pm On Jul 19, 2008
Sisikill:

Yes, Yes don't derail the thread or you'll have us kicked out. tongue

Daimonds you say. . . hmmm, they are a girl's best friend. Okay why not.

Allow me a few years to study your behavior while saving up the currency and I promise to let you know what kind of diamond I will get you. wink
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by jummiee(f): 4:24pm On Jul 20, 2008
@CH3CHOO & SISIKILL

Hmmmm, cyberlove ! how romantic, u guys need to go on a cyberdate wink (just teasin)

@ SISKILL

read ur piece, lovely ! was already feeling so sorry for your character, sandra, till i read the last three lines, intriguing story.

I think u can write romance, even though u think the description of emotions of attraction sounds sappy and silly, (e.g butterflies in the stomach, weak knees, irregular heartbeart at the sight of the 'crush' ) but havent u ever felt any of these reactions towards someone u were attracted to? , if u have, then it makes it all easier, just picture yourself as the character being attracted to the other.
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by HCH3COO: 4:26pm On Jul 20, 2008
She doesn't do my type.
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by Sisikill: 4:53pm On Jul 21, 2008
HCH3COO:

She doesn't do my type.

embarassed undecided
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by Sisikill: 5:00pm On Jul 21, 2008
jummiee:

@CH3CHOO & SISIKILL

Hmmmm, cyberlove ! how romantic, u guys need to go on a cyberdate wink (just teasin)

@ SISKILL

read your piece, lovely ! was already feeling so sorry for your character, sandra, till i read the last three lines, intriguing story.

I think u can write romance, even though u think the description of emotions of attraction sounds sappy and silly, (e.g butterflies in the stomach, weak knees, irregular heartbeart at the sight of the 'crush' ) but havent u ever felt any of these reactions towards someone u were attracted to? , if u have, then it makes it all easier, just picture yourself as the character being attracted to the other.

Aah, I guess you are not aware that CH3COO is Nairaland's Casanova. All the threads are littered with the hearts of the many girls he's broken. . . but for the grace of my dead granpapa who told me "Sisi, my love. . . stay away from men of flowery words" (he should know, he was one himself) I would have been one of them.

Yeah, you gotta feel sorry for her. The woman is a freaking Psycho.

I guess I can try my hand on romance. . . to be honest, the last time I did was years back and when I didn't get the desired result, I just abandoned.
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by HCH3COO: 5:08pm On Jul 21, 2008
Sisikill:

embarassed undecided
undecided na lie?

it's amazing how you knock me off my feet
Everytime you come around me I get weak

cry
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by HCH3COO: 5:16pm On Jul 21, 2008
Sisikill:

Aah, I guess you are not aware that CH3COO is Nairaland's Casanova. All the threads are littered with the hearts of the many girls he's broken. . . but for the grace of my dead granpapa who told me "Sisi, my love. . . stay away from men of flowery words" (he should know, he was one himself) I would have been one of them.

Yeah, you gotta feel sorry for her. The woman is a freaking Psycho.

I guess I can try my hand on romance. . . to be honest, the last time I did was years back and when I didn't get the desired result, I just abandoned.
embarassed ~tapping head on shalanga cement, attempting to work up an intiuitive explanation~. whines and pouts like a spoiled child

begins talking like Baba Sala

*. . .ehn I knew she wouldn't understand. shebi she's the most desirable of them all. i have to find a way to explain to her. she must know.
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by Sisikill: 6:15pm On Jul 21, 2008
HCH3COO:

undecided na lie?

it's amazing how you knock me off my feet
Everytime you come around me I get weak

cry

Grandpapa was right!

You are a man of flowery words! cry
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by HCH3COO: 6:22pm On Jul 21, 2008
Sisikill:

Grandpapa was right!

You are a man of flowery words! cry
I have come to you with goodness in my heart.   Getting you to see this good is where the problem lies.

first step is admitting my purpose. i have done that.
Re: Try This Drabble With A Twist. by Sisikill: 10:31pm On Jul 21, 2008
HCH3COO:

I have come to you with goodness in my heart. Getting you to see this good is where the problem lies.

first step is admitting my purpose. i have done that.

Rotflmao! When are you gonna write you own story?

It would be a crime to let talent like yours go to waste. tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

~~Memories Of The War Through My eyes~~ / Ghost Writer Wanted / The Tangled Circle Of A Calabar Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.