Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week (2847 Views)

FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike / ASUU To Call Off Strike On Monday / Breaking News: ASUU To Embark On Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Deekaydadon(m): 7:23am On Nov 08, 2013
Strike: FG, ASUU meets again next week

NOVEMBER 8, 2013 BY KAMARUDEEN OGUNDELE
2 Comments
Academic Staff Union of Universities met across the country on Thursday to consider the offer by the Federal Government.

The ASUU President, Dr. Nasir Faggae after a meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan which ended in the early hours of Tuesday had told reporters that the union would take back an undisclosed message to their members.

The PUNCH gathered that the striking public universities lecturers met in the nine zones of ASUU with branch chairmen to discuss the outcome of the meeting with the President.

The meetings presided over by zonal coordinators afforded them (zonal coordinators) the opportunity to brief the branch chairmen about the offer made by the Federal Government to revamp the public universities across the country.

The Federal Government had at the last Tuesday marathon meeting agreed to inject N1.1tn into the universities over the next five years. The money, the Federal Government promised, would be released at the rate of N220bn annually starting from 2014.

The Ibadan zone of ASUU held its meeting at the Federal University Abeokuta on Thursday while that of the North Central Zone took place at the Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State.

Sources at both meetings said that though the union officials were not happy that the N400bn per year they asked for was not granted, they were however happy at the sincerity of purpose displayed by President Jonathan.

Though they expressed varied opinion about the offer, they were unanimous in commending Jonathan for being the first Nigerian leader to meet with the union.

When contacted, the Coordinator of the North Central Zone, Dr. Suleiman Mohammad declined comments on the meeting.

Mohammed, who said he was attending to some pressing issues, said only the ASUU President could speak on the issue.

But feelers across the zones, however, suggested that the lecturers might have accepted the offer of the government.

Although branch chairmen still have to call congresses, it was gathered that the union may have made up its mind to call off the strike after meeting with the Federal Government again next week.

A top official of the union said “We are happy with the humility shown by Jonathan to personally meet with us. This is the first time a sitting President will meet with the union to thrash out issues. Members were impressed with him and the strong commitment that he displayed.  But some expressed fear that the new deal could go the way of past agreements that were not honoured.

Source

http://www.punchng.com/news/strike-fg-ASUU-meets-again-next-week/

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Harrisonn(m): 7:31am On Nov 08, 2013
Next week again?? i just quit my job, hoping they will be calling of the strike this week.
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Deekaydadon(m): 7:37am On Nov 08, 2013
They're probably gonna call it off after the meeting, I'm sure they just want to see if they can still squeeze a little more out of FG.
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Rexsul: 7:38am On Nov 08, 2013
o lord of gays nd lesbians! wot da hell am i seeing?.......sucide mode activ8td!! pls dont stop me oo
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by funmi4love(f): 7:38am On Nov 08, 2013
Abeg if ASUU want 2 call off let dem do and stop putting us on suspence
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Rexsul: 7:40am On Nov 08, 2013
Harrisonn: Next week again?? i just quit my job, hoping they will be calling of the strike this week.
my broda u don enta 1 chance b dat oo

2 Likes

Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Rexsul: 7:43am On Nov 08, 2013
mod. oya carry ds topic enter front page to stop ppl 4rm quitn there jobs.
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Lawconfessor(f): 7:44am On Nov 08, 2013
Hahahahahahahahaha

ASUU una wahala don dey too much o.
Y meeting mr. Presido again?
U guys shud help our students to grad at wen due nah- haba.
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by vizkiz: 7:45am On Nov 08, 2013
Dear ASUU, We the Serious Students of Nigeria (SSN) have agreed to resume school on the 20th of January 2014, because pregnant students must all deliver and hustling students must hammer. So kindly reject every offer from the Federal Government till next year. Thanks!!

4 Likes

Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 08, 2013
Can i watch? #evil grin
Rexsul: o lord of gays nd lesbians! wot da hell am i seeing?.......sucide mode activ8td!! pls dont stop me oo
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Lawconfessor(f): 7:50am On Nov 08, 2013
Deekaydadon: They're probably gonna call it off after the meeting, I'm sure they just want to see if they can still squeeze a little more out of FG.

U re very right dear- my thoughts exactly.
I suppose dey just wanna press a bit hard, to be on a more clearer page.
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by xtophy(m): 7:52am On Nov 08, 2013
na u knw jare, SHEH NA ONLY ASUU>>>>i just believe dat everything will be HISTORY one day
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by lawsbanks: 7:59am On Nov 08, 2013
Nawa for ASUU o, wetin dem wan meet with JONA talk again!!!! Alaseju
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by orelove4liff: 8:02am On Nov 08, 2013
Deekaydadon: They're probably gonna call it off after the meeting, I'm sure they just want to see if they can still squeeze a little more out of FG.
they are going back to tell d president dat they hav accepted d offer
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Dannyxy(m): 8:05am On Nov 08, 2013
Meeting, meeting everytime, dem no dey tire to meet, abi na d meat wey dem chop 4 presido villa na im dey shack dem brain...

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 08, 2013
1. Can't wait to get back to school!

2. Can't wait to get back to the Laboratory

3. Can't wait to check my last semester result

4. Can't wait to see my friends

5. Can't wait to consume the consumables" that I am paying for

6. Can't wait to use the free Wi-fi

7. Can't wait to see my old gay lecturers

8. Can't wait to leave this home!!!!

9. Can't wait to get the damn degree!

10. Can't wait to get the fck off this place.

4 Likes

Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by fasho01(m): 8:06am On Nov 08, 2013
Since jona is the first sitting president to meet with them, now they wanna take advantage of it. Seems they were unable to get any roger that first meeting due to the severity of the meeting. Now its time do all that.
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Anuoluwap(m): 8:22am On Nov 08, 2013
They need to finish the shawama they left over during the last meeting. It isn't easy...
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Nobody: 8:37am On Nov 08, 2013
*sigh* again? can't they just call the damned strike off and then finish negotiation with GEJ later? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by njuwo(m): 8:47am On Nov 08, 2013
Where the news?
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by drey22(m): 8:51am On Nov 08, 2013
space booked,ah go come back when they call off
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by tufe(m): 9:02am On Nov 08, 2013
orelove4liff: they are going back to tell d president dat they hav accepted d offer

Ore plz cud I hv ur fb ID, wanna holla u kinda
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by kennyonthrone(m): 9:11am On Nov 08, 2013
Dis pple funi gor y d heck re d meetin him again....cal off d god damn tin...ma handbook includin ma IDcards sayz I wil b graduatin dis I jst dnt wanna cari it ova nxt year abeg.
Hw bad it can b,ws jst @ d verge of startin ma final degree examz wen d started dis sh!t!

HOPE IN D AIR.....I knw d jst wanna ve a feel of d presidential villa again
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by jonescyras(m): 9:30am On Nov 08, 2013
orelove4liff: they are going back to tell d president dat they hav accepted d offer
Tell the president they'v accepted? What are the press doing and besides, did they went to aso rock to inform the president they want to emback on a long run strike?....
....My brain dey your yansh o!
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by sambas: 9:44am On Nov 08, 2013
It's not necessary to meet the president again na, according to the ministers' statement i.e Emeka wogu, He said ASUU can call off without reporting back to the president again. We have press people in Nigeria na, why doing their job for them ASUU don't bother going, tell the press your message and they wil deliver it to the president. kai e b like say ASUU no accept dis new proposal oooo.., Niggas b like: ASUU una fada.
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Dhammtiee(f): 9:52am On Nov 08, 2013
vizkiz: Dear ASUU, We the Serious Students of Nigeria (SSN) have agreed to resume school on the 20th of January 2014, because pregnant students must all deliver and hustling students must hammer. So kindly reject every offer from the Federal Government till next year. Thanks!!

i knw so well u re among dose u sit @ d back of d class a honourable benchwarmer
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Gbengaslc: 9:58am On Nov 08, 2013
TiredOfHome.mp3
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 08, 2013
again?..*sighs* that h0w they will c0ntinue untill this year runs 0ut...@0ga rexsul..abeg n0 c0mmit sucide 0h...remember say y0u they 0we me m0ney....... grin lawd have marci
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by LarryTreash(m): 10:15am On Nov 08, 2013
They should just wait til i born dis piken way m girl friend giv me o

Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by Ariyke: 10:20am On Nov 08, 2013
ASUU call this thing off na sad
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by ennon92(m): 10:21am On Nov 08, 2013
Rexsul: o lord of gays nd lesbians! wot da hell am i seeing?.......sucide mode activ8td!! pls dont stop me oo
suicide approved!...
@topic, ASUU re cowards, I thought they said they won't accept anything less than #400b on a yearly basis but reverse is d case here. By n large, it shows us how these ppl re fighting for their pockets and not revival of d universities. I hope they call it off real soon anyways.
Re: ASUU To Meet With President Jonathan Again Next Week by LarryTreash(m): 10:24am On Nov 08, 2013
Stupid Students of Nigeria (SSN)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Didnt I Receive Jamb Sms On My Score / 2015/2016 Nigerian Law School Application,posting And Registration. / IAMPS/ESTG University Scholarship For Nigerians To Study In Benin Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.