Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,756 members, 7,820,627 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? (990 Views)

Is Prayer A Waste Of Time? / Is Midnight Prayer More Effective Than Day Time ? / What Is Prayer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Afam4eva(m): 7:25am On Nov 10, 2013
I couldn't think of a better topic title for this thread. Pls you can help out.

The problem is that i always shy away from being called out when i'm in a gathering to lead a prayer session because i feel i can't pray effectively. Infact, whenever i'm called it's life the ground should just swallow me up and save me the embarrassment. This has been a recurring decimal and that's why i try as much as possible to stay away from small congregations where i stand a very high chance of being called up t o lead prayer sessions.

Now the issue exactly is that, while praying, i can't construct sentences very well and can't use the verbal aesthetics and theatrics that a lot of Christians use. I pray as if i'm just talking normally and i try as much as possible to be able to strong words together like a lot of Christians do. My prayers also don't last more than 1 minute. At most 2 minutes. Some weeks ago i was called up to round off a prayer session and when i was done, i could feel it in people's faces that "Na the Prayer be that?". Now, i want to know if one must use words beautifully before one's prayer must be answered. What is wrong with just saying your prayers in plain, simple English.
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Youngsage: 7:30am On Nov 10, 2013
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by sylvar02(m): 7:30am On Nov 10, 2013
lmao... we are almost same thing... thats why I go to chuch late! cos of prayers after sunday school class cry cry cry
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Bigflamie(m): 7:39am On Nov 10, 2013
@Afam, you have to spill it out, I mean every damn thing you want God to do for ya.
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by DesChyko1(m): 7:40am On Nov 10, 2013
Well.. I don't think it's the language, but the 'shortness' of the prayer. One must relate himself with the various afflictions the world suffers and pray for them all if possible. And also, God deserves your praises and glory. And whatever you wish for yourself, you should wish for others too. And also, you have to wrap up your prayers well by shielding it. Just like a gift wrapper. So, if you put this in mind and practise (pray) constantly, you'll improve. The most important thing is remembering that the prayer is for Christ. This will help you overcome your shyness and make your prayer effective at least
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by djeezy(m): 7:57am On Nov 10, 2013
Op, I have the same problem too. I despise being called upon to lead a group prayer. The last time I did, I ended up using a lot of legal maxims and legal words. I think this syndrome should be called prayerphobia.lol
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Coldfaya(m): 7:57am On Nov 10, 2013
sylvar02: lmao... we are almost same thing... thats why I go to chuch late! cos of prayers after sunday school class cry cry cry

Confession time. Hehehe.

There's dis look of 'so na all d prayer b dis?'. Or d prayer sef nor hot' on ppls faces.
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Afam4eva(m): 9:47am On Nov 10, 2013
djeezy: Op, I have the same problem too. I despise being called upon to lead a group prayer. The last time I did, I ended up using a lot of legal maxims and legal words. I think this syndrome should be called prayerphobia.lol
There was a time i used to write down the path my prayer would take incase i get called upon to lead prayers.
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Seun(m): 9:50am On Nov 10, 2013
Its not more effective, but it's less boring. People are less likely to sleep off during prayer when you do it gragraly.
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by SalC: 10:28am On Nov 10, 2013
The efficacy of your prayer does not lie on your grammatic construction or duration of prayer, but those things simply make the audience feel good. So do your best and leave the rest to God.
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by texanomaly(f): 10:40am On Nov 10, 2013
Seun: Its not more effective, but it's less boring. People are less likely to sleep off during prayer when you do it gragraly.
OK I looked up the word gragraly in the dictionary. It's not there. What does it mean? What do you mean?

@ topic
Its sincerity that counts.
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Nobody: 10:41am On Nov 10, 2013
texanomaly:
OK I looked up the word gragraly in the dictionary. It's not there. What does it mean? What do you mean?

@ topic
Its sincerity that counts.
Gragra is nigerian slang for by force or violently.
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by texanomaly(f): 10:50am On Nov 10, 2013
aManFromMars:
Gragra is nigerian slang for by force or violently.
Ah...that makes more sense.

@Suen
You are a funny guy sometimes.
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Afam4eva(m): 11:22am On Nov 10, 2013
Lol@gragraly
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by MrTroll(m): 11:56am On Nov 10, 2013
Its the eye service na. The longer you pray or the more gibberish you add, the better for your audience. You need to impress them, make them feel like you and Yahweh na padi padi wink. If you can, try to sweat a little and shed a few holy tears. You can practice in front of your mirror.

Or you can come out of the delusion.
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by texanomaly(f): 12:05pm On Nov 10, 2013
@ Mr. Troll

Smiling indulgently, while smh.
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 10, 2013
well,i think its generally perceived that the more embellished and personalized,prayers show that the prayee has a budding relationship with God angry
sometimes it's possible to detect someone who has an almost non-existent prayer life....when they keep repeating the same prayer patterns.

Must we always blast into tongues when leading prayers?(i know its supposed to be under the leading of the holy spirit),because i know some people do that to impress grin....i used to do that when i was a lot more younger lipsrsealed
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by MrTroll(m): 12:14pm On Nov 10, 2013
texanomaly: @ Mr. Troll

Smiling indulgently, while smh.
Come to Nigeria. Nollywood has got nothing on us.
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by texanomaly(f): 12:16pm On Nov 10, 2013
cheksbry: well,i think its generally perceived that the more embellished and personalized,prayers show that the prayee has a budding relationship with God angry
sometimes it's possible to detect someone who has an almost non-existent prayer life....when they keep repeating the same prayer patterns.

Must we always blast into tongues
when leading prayers?(i know its supposed to be under the leading of the holy spirit),because i know some people do that to impress grin....i used to do that when i was a lot more younger lipsrsealed

I would like to see this.
smiley
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Nov 10, 2013
No matter how gragraly your prayer is said, God will spit it back at u if your life is at the southern part of God's standard.
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 10, 2013
lol @texanomaly,what exactly will you like to see?

i guess you should sample some churches in Nigeria..... grin...you will wonder if the, God we all serve has variations..... lipsrsealed.....some talk to God like they are sons and daughters,with well harmonized phrases,voice pitches and intonations....such that im left to wonder,if the people who always pray "gragaly" , sweating profusely, whilst releasing missiles, and death sentences haven't experienced God in his fullness grin....
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by texanomaly(f): 12:51pm On Nov 10, 2013
cheksbry: lol @texanomaly,what exactly will you like to see?

i guess you should sample some churches in Nigeria..... grin...you will wonder if the, God we all serve has variations..... lipsrsealed.....some talk to God like they are sons and daughters,with well harmonized phrases,voice pitches and intonations....such that im left to wonder,if the people who always pray "gragaly" , sweating profusely, whilst releasing missiles, and death sentences haven't experienced God in his fullness grin....

Lolz...that's what I'm talkin' about! grin
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Dannylux: 1:28pm On Nov 10, 2013
This is the same with me. I enjoy prayers when It's brief and straightforward. I wonder if making it lengthy unnecessarily has It's benefits too?
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Joshthefirst(m): 11:26pm On Nov 10, 2013
Dannylux: This is the same with me. I enjoy prayers when It's brief and straightforward. I wonder if making it lengthy unnecessarily has It's benefits too?
not just you sir, God enjoys straightforward prayers.

He gets tired of listening to repeatitive nonsense sometimes. He likes prayers from the heart.
wink
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Afam4eva(m): 7:54am On Nov 11, 2013
Dannylux: This is the same with me. I enjoy prayers when It's brief and straightforward. I wonder if making it lengthy unnecessarily has It's benefits too?
The longer your prayers, the closer you are with God grin
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by MrTroll(m): 9:25pm On Nov 11, 2013
Joshthefirst: not just you sir, God enjoys straightforward prayers.

He gets tired of listening to repeatitive nonsense sometimes.
He likes prayers from the heart.
wink
Behold, the PA of GOD!!! grin grin
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Afam4eva(m): 11:17am On Nov 12, 2013
Mr Troll: Behold, the PA of GOD!!! grin grin
grin grin grin
Re: Is Prayer More Effective When Constructed With Verbal Aesthetics? by Nobody: 11:22am On Nov 12, 2013
@OP, I do not think or believe the verbal aesthetics are a factor in prayers.. God has a universal translator and is well read in various languages including Vulcan

(1) (Reply)

Armed Robber’s Confession: I Paid Tithe After Every Operation / Can I Find A "Joseph" Who Can Interpret This Dream? / See A Church Where Pastor And Church Congregation Worship Uncla*d [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.