Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,197 members, 7,811,516 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:32 PM

What Is Prayer? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Prayer? (1359 Views)

Is Prayer A Waste Of Time? / What Is Prayer? / Of What Use Is Prayer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Prayer? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Nov 12, 2014
Good day everyone.

Prayer is something many people don't really understand. Either what it is or how it is done.

I created this thread for us to learn from ourselves the concept of prayer.

Let anyone ask any question pertaining to prayer and let other scholars here attempt them.

It is going to be more like a question and answer thread.

That being said, lets get it started.

I would like to see the answers to this from other people's perspective.......

What is prayer?

When should one pray?

Does God answer every prayer?

Does speaking in tongues mean your holier or more serious than those dont?

Lets from the scholars.

Feel free to answer questions asked and also ask yours.

We all could learn from ourselves
Re: What Is Prayer? by sinequanon: 3:44pm On Nov 12, 2014
Prayer is the delegation of responsibility for oneself to an entity one has made superior to oneself.

With delegation of responsibility comes a corresponding loss of insight into ones condition.

The loss of insight increases the confusion and lack of faith in oneself, and the tendency to look for something superior to oneself, and beyond oneself, to which to delegate responsibility for oneself.

It is a self-feeding spiral.
Re: What Is Prayer? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Nov 12, 2014
In a few words. A complete waste of time. I could expatiate if you want me to.
Re: What Is Prayer? by Eve4eva(f): 3:49pm On Nov 12, 2014
sinequanon:
Prayer is the delegation of responsibility for oneself to an entity one has made superior to oneself.

With delegation of responsibility comes a corresponding loss of insight into ones condition.

The loss of insight increases the confusion and lack of faith in oneself, and the tendency to look for something superior to oneself, and beyond oneself, to which to delegate responsibility for oneself.

This grammer is too big: Prayer means talking to God to thank him or to ask him for something. Simple.
Re: What Is Prayer? by That2: 3:51pm On Nov 12, 2014
What is prayer?
A means of talking to yourself.

When should one pray?
Whenever you are in trouble or helpless to someone just start talking to yourself and imagine a sky daddy is listening to you. It would give you a form of assurance and comforts.

None. It only means you are dumb.

"When I was young I used to pray for a bike. Then I realized that God doesn't work that way, so I stole a bike and prayed for
forgiveness." — Emo Philips.

Re: What Is Prayer? by sinequanon: 3:51pm On Nov 12, 2014
Eve4eva:
This grammer is too big: Prayer means talking to God to thank him or to ask him for something. Simple.

Life is about improving yourself so that things are not "too big" for you. Otherwise, you will turn to prayer.

Is that simpler grammer (sic.), for you?

1 Like

Re: What Is Prayer? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 12, 2014
sinequanon:

nice one sir. but most people don't see or look at it that way
Re: What Is Prayer? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Nov 12, 2014
Eve4eva:
lol

thats the most simplified meaning of prayer.

does it end only in asking and thanking?
Re: What Is Prayer? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 12, 2014
That2:

"When I was young I used to pray for a bike. Then I realized that God doesn't work that way, so I stole a bike and prayed for
forgiveness." — Emo Philips.
lol. kinda looks like wanting to play on God's intelligence grin grin
Re: What Is Prayer? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Nov 12, 2014
sinequanon:

Life is about improving yourself so that things are not "too big" for you. Otherwise, you will turn to prayer.

Is that simpler grammer (sic.), for you?
true
Re: What Is Prayer? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 12, 2014
Prayer is wishful thinking mostly for what people do not deserve.

Prayer is a wishful cheat code for the lazy minds.

Prayer exists in the dictionary of the weak minded who have no personal discipline

What happens when a fat guy prays to be slim. Hit the gym or die fat.

God is a lie
Re: What Is Prayer? by Chanchit: 9:55pm On Nov 12, 2014
ifeness:
Prayer is wishful thinking mostly for what people do not deserve.

Prayer is a wishful cheat code for the lazy minds.

Prayer exists in the dictionary of the weak minded who have no personal discipline

What happens when a fat guy prays to be slim. Hit the gym or die fat.

God is a lie

Hmmmmmm.! @philfearon, I still dey read that Yaweh link I never finish na.
Re: What Is Prayer? by OasisofRefuge(f): 5:17am On Nov 13, 2014
sonOfLucifer:
In a few words. A complete waste of time. I could expatiate if you want me to.
Pls do
Re: What Is Prayer? by philfearon(m): 6:01am On Nov 13, 2014
Chanchit:

Hmmmmmm.! @philfearon, I still dey read that Yaweh link I never finish na.
Lol...
Re: What Is Prayer? by Nobody: 6:30am On Nov 13, 2014
KiddaBlingzz:

Well, I'll try to give short replies

What is prayer?
Prayer simply means communicating to God. Its a two way communication. U talk to him and he talks back to u. The two has to be involved otherwise its nt prayer. Another word for prayer is fellowship. Its a rubbing of mind. Prayer isn't abt asking God for something. Its more of a communion.

When should one pray?
Every time. U shouldn't wait for trouble before u pray. When u understand d purpose of prayer, this will become clear to u. Remember the very purpose why God created man. For fellowship. God loves u so much he wants u to talk to him often.

Does God answer every prayer?
No! When u pray with a bad motive or out of selfishness or outside the will of God, He will not hear not to talk of answering

No! U don't receive the gift of speaking in tongues because u'r holy. Like I said. Its a gift.

(1) (Reply)

LET US LEARN MORE- Temitope Daniel / Is It True MUSLIM Is The MAJOR Problem In This WORLD / Christians, Is The Cbn's BVN The Mark Of The Beast?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.