Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,684 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators (10729 Views)

Economic Crisis: Five Banks’ Profit Drop By N54bn / Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import / Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Kobojunkie: 6:35pm On Jul 15, 2008
Now I am the one who is being paranoid here?? Asking you for proof to back up your many obtuse claims means I am getting paranoid? Smacks self in the head! What was I thinking asking you for intelligent response/ information to back up  your claims there.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Mustay(m): 6:36pm On Jul 15, 2008
RedHotChic:

What has banning generators got to do with improving power supply? Did he write that proposal at the beer parlour?
lmao grin

RedHotChic:

Before it was a bill to congratulate Obama, now it's another one to ban generators. makes we wonder the kind of people that represent us and how they reason.

Crazy dudes. They loff good things - but they don't wanna learn how to implement them.

They all have stickers on their convoys like America will create a special website for people to vote on! angry
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Mustay(m): 6:38pm On Jul 15, 2008
Funny enough, without this bill some dudes keep these machines in their rooms.

With the bill - deaths arising due to inhaling carbon dioxide will compete with news about the N Delta
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by bluehorizo(m): 6:45pm On Jul 15, 2008
Uju should simply keep lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed and read to learn. Stop all the spew and learn from others. How does banning generator have to do with improving power supply? It is useless,senseless and a baseless motion by that agbero senator.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Esss(m): 6:56pm On Jul 15, 2008
Na wah for Nigerians o!

So because NEPA/PHCN/the Nigerian government has refused to give the masses light we should all buy candle to achieve what??

If they ban you from using your alternative power source, how does that solve the problem at hand??

We are saying that the man is blind and instead of thinking of how to make him see again you want to take away his cane, what will this solve??

Okay let me ask all our pro-generator banners, What did banning the importation of cement, pasta, sugar, juice, rice, flour, chicken, leather shoes, toilet rolls, toothpick, e.t.c do?? I will tell you, It made the Dangotes rich, cost of the commodities went up, quality of the products reduced, avaliabilty of the products became a problem, smugglers had a nice time, Nigerian customs offiders became even richer.
In Nigeria, barely 1% of the population actually depends on public water supply, Lets also ban the importation of pumping machines and the use of private boheholes because the importers are sabotaging the governments effort to provide us with water. what nonsense   angry

The issue is not generators, the problem is that we cant even generate enough power to serve the entire nation. Our hydro dams are all old and dilapitated. How do you give something that you dont have?? Lets be objective on this issue, do youu think it is cheaper to run a generator?? Have you taken into account the cost of servicing the generator?? routine maintainance nko?? Diesel is 140 naira per litre, in a month we spend approx. 60,000 naira on diesel alone (not including servicing o!). So let me ask you, is it really convinient for anybody to wnat to run a generator over pblic power supply??

Lets face the issue and stop looking for excuses jare!  angry  Even when the light is there, it is so unstable that it ends up destroying half the appliances in the house.

We need private investors in the power industry.

Why dont we ban mobile phones so that NITEL can come up again.

I wonder why some Nigerians reason like imbeciles??  angry  angry  angry
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by TheSly: 7:03pm On Jul 15, 2008
Switch to Solar power y'all.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by holyghost(m): 7:14pm On Jul 15, 2008
the senator was under the influence of ogo goro (dry gin) and brukutu when he made that statement
please i apologise on his behalf.

actually he is one of those who benefited from the import of Generator sets
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by grafikdon: 7:15pm On Jul 15, 2008
The usual round peg in square holes politicians are at work. Who in their right mind would switch a generator when there is constant power supply? Even with constant power supply, I wouldn't risk not having a generator in case of emergency. So many imbeciles in government. From hunting 'indecent' women to 'arresting' roadside hawkers,
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 15, 2008
Breaking news!!! Dateline 2011-July-15

Over 1000 residents of Ajegunle, Lagos State are now in detention for breaking the new law prohibiting the use of unregistered "non-industrial" generators. Most of them were using generators with between 0.5-2.5 KVA generators whcih have been classified as "Non Industrial" generators. The minister in charge of the new law Double Chief Honorable Smart Adeyemi while talking to journalists from his 250KVA-generator-powered office complex said the government will not leave any stoned unturned in their quest to punish people that are bent on paralyzing PHCN by buying unregistered "non-industrial" generators. The government have earlier designated Dangote Group of companies as the sole importer and registrar of "non-industrial" generators. Only high-capacity generators (that can only be afforded by the high and mighty) are allowed to be brought into the country ad sold without being duly registered.

We will update you as the news develop. grin
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by TheSly: 7:38pm On Jul 15, 2008
Ceeno E vu:

Over 1000 residents of Ajegunle, Lagos State are now in detention for breaking the new law prohibiting the use of unregistered "non-industrial" generators. Most of them were using generators with between 0.5-2.5 KVA generators whcih have been classified as "Non Industrial" generators. The minister in charge of the new law Double Chief Honorable Smart Adeyemi while talking to journalists from his 250KVA-generator-powered office complex said the government will not leave any stoned unturned in their quest to punish people that are bent on paralyzing PHCN by buying unregistered "non-industrial" generators. The government have earlier designated Dangote Group of companies as the sole importer and registrar of "non-industrial" generators. Only high-capacity generators (that can only be afforded by the high and mighty) are allowed to be brought into the country ad sold without being duly registered.

Good!!!
At least we can predict where Nigeria is heading. . . . . . . The stone age of course.
Get urself some dry leafs with stone and Phew!!. . . . . . . .Let there be light! cheesy
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by oluwafunto: 7:40pm On Jul 15, 2008
Amen !!! to the generator ban if it would involve all classes; but i dont see that happening.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by 4Play(m): 7:42pm On Jul 15, 2008
Ceeno E vu:

If this is true,its effectively Govt intervention to protect Dangote's business.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by doyin13(m): 7:44pm On Jul 15, 2008
Abeg make person introduce me to Dangote Jazzman. . . . .

There is more to his monopolies than meets the eye.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by jorge1980(m): 8:09pm On Jul 15, 2008
Ceeno E vu:

LMFAO grin
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Queenisha: 8:11pm On Jul 15, 2008
So this thing is true e kwa ?
wonders shall never cease

why did they start with ajegunle?
I hope Uncle Polycarp is OK
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by 4Play(m): 8:17pm On Jul 15, 2008
Double Chief Honorable Smart Adeyemi

What is a "Double Chief"? It is no longer enough to proclaim to be a 'mere' Chief,we now have 'Double Chiefs'. What distinguishes a double chief from a chief and any chance of there being triple or quadruple chiefs?
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Sisikill: 8:22pm On Jul 15, 2008
So let me get this straight, putting a ban on generators will help create a better power supply? Gawd! I always knew Nigeria was full of great minds and this just proves it. . . Mr. Senator here has single handedly rubbished the Laws of cause and effect. Now the direct effect of a cause can be the direct cause of the cause. Brilliant! If you ask me, just Brilliant!!

LMFAO! This is too much. The plan is so ill conceived it’s amazing no one thought to call it off before making it public. Well now, it’s obvious what they think the of Nigerian Public. . . Yep, we’re gullible and will swallow anything they shove down our throats.

While they are at it, they should also look into banning the brand of water they drink in the Senate House because whatever it is, it’s obviously destroying their brains.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by 4Play(m): 8:29pm On Jul 15, 2008
Sisikill:

Mr. Senator here has single handedly rubbished the Laws of cause and effect. Now the direct effect of a cause can be the direct cause of the cause. Brilliant! If you ask me, just Brilliant!!

He didn't so much rubbish it as reverse it. To think this glib idiot is called "Smart".
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 15, 2008
Ceeno E vu:

I hope say I nor dey confuse people o. That was a satire abi wetin literature people dey call am. Nothing there is true o. I just dey imagine say na that kain thing go happen eventually, and that's why the date is 2011. 3 years into the future.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Kobojunkie: 8:30pm On Jul 15, 2008
roflmao
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by 4Play(m): 8:33pm On Jul 15, 2008
Ceeno E vu:

I hope say I nor dey confuse people o. That was a satire abi wetin literature people dey call am. Nothing there is true o. I just dey imagine say na that kain thing go happen eventually, and that's why the date is 2011. 3 years into the future.

Kai! I feel like an Obama supporter. grin grin
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by doyin13(m): 8:37pm On Jul 15, 2008
4 Play:

Kai! I feel like an Obama supporter. grin grin

fa fa fa foul. . ,

You acted true to your political persuasion. tongue
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Esss(m): 8:41pm On Jul 15, 2008
4 Play:

He didn't so much rubbish it as reverse it. To think this glib idiot is called "Smart".

Thats why people like uju think its a "smart" idea.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Sisikill: 8:46pm On Jul 15, 2008
4 Play:

Yeah, I think that was tongue in cheek on his parent's part, unfortunately no one got the joke. . . until now.

He Reversed it? But isn't he saying that generator use, the direct effect of lack of power supply is now the cause of lack of power supply?

Okay, now I've confused myself. LOL
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by oberon(m): 8:48pm On Jul 15, 2008
What an ass !! but thats what we have come to expect from those that rule us, would that solve the power problem?he should find better ways of getting himself noticed by the operators of Thisday News papers legislator score chart.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by oneperson: 8:50pm On Jul 15, 2008
I think it is a good plan but the process is not clear yet. If they ban generators, what will we be using now until NEPA is revamped? Anyway, if they have a substitute plan that we should use before they normalise NEPA, let them let us know, otherwise this plan is going to suffer a great hitch.

my humble opinion.
jojo
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by jorge1980(m): 9:10pm On Jul 15, 2008
oneperson:

I think it is a good plan but the process is not clear yet. If they ban generators, what will we be using now until NEPA is revamped? Anyway, if they have a substitute plan that we should use before they normalise NEPA, let them let us know, otherwise this plan is going to suffer a great hitch.

my humble opinion.
jojo
OMG yeah there is a substitute plan, Fly out with immediate effect to their mansions in SA and Sydney while you remain in darkness! Wake up man or better slap yourself out of your illusion.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 15, 2008
I doubt placing a ban on generators, will make Nigeria improve the sporadic power supply.

It'll just cause chaos.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by f6(m): 9:12pm On Jul 15, 2008
why don't our leaders think of something more creative than banning generators or even coming up wit the idea, ??
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by cliveland: 9:17pm On Jul 15, 2008
haba guys, i cant believe am reading this from intecllectual i would want to believe we "most" of us r. every1 got d right to decide his/her own destiny its even "recorded" cos written is too far fetched a word, banning generators SHALL never solve anything when i was growing up i dint know how a gen looks like not mention have 1, now i have 2, a diesel n fuel. if we had constant power supply will need any extra spending just to leave a normal life, meaning get home move around the apartment without hitting my head/leg againt something or ironning my dresses or just generally relaxing at home?

its really depressing, lets stop battering ourselves, i guess we are all adults n working class persons lets pray n do all within our might to turn around our naija for our tomorrow cos its already here.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by subice(m): 9:26pm On Jul 15, 2008
It seems that most people did not actually read the details in the post before replying. He is proposing the ban for after the power emergency has achieved the solution to the power crisis and we have adequate power. Some people believe that it is almost impossible for Nigeria to have adequate power, and understandably so. However, I do not think it is an entirely unreasonable idea, if you look at his perspective, which i believe is the (bad) habit of Nigerians to look for ways around things instead of tackling them head on, at the slightest inconvenience. I thing it is unnecessary though, because I'm sure if electricity is available, steady and adequate, no one in his/her right senses would make use of a generator at home or work.
We should learn to avoid sensationalism and be more objective when reacting to issues.
Re: Power Crisis: Senator Calls For Ban On Generators by Kobojunkie: 9:31pm On Jul 15, 2008
subice:

It seems that most people did not actually read the details in the post before replying. He is proposing the ban for after the power emergency has achieved the solution to the power crisis and we have adequate power. Some people believe that it is almost impossible for Nigeria to have adequate power, and understandably so. However, I do not think it is an entirely unreasonable idea, if you look at his perspective, which i believe is the (bad) habit of Nigerians to look for ways around things instead of tackling them head on, at the slightest inconvenience. I thing it is unnecessary though, because I'm sure if electricity is available, steady and adequate, no one in his/her right senses would make use of a generator at home or work.
We should learn to avoid sensationalism and be more objective when reacting to issues.

Why does Nigerian need a BAN on generators AFTER energy becomes 100%?? Why would I need to spend Naira 6000 on diesel for my generator to get 24 hour power supply, when I can spend Naira 3000 on PHCN electricity for 24hours power supply?Are we monkeys that we need a BAN on generators to figure out how would not work well for us economically? Do we need a BAN ? Is a Ban necessary in Any case or situation, especially when addressing the power problem?

Chairman, Senate Committee on Federal Character and Inter-Governmental Affairs, Senator Smart Adeyemi, has advocated an immediate ban on use of generators at home to ensure the success of the expected state of emergency on the power sector.

Senator Adeyemi, who stated this in an interview, said that all hands should be on deck for the success of the state of emergency in the power sector.

He said the government should immediately set a target date of two years to place a ban on use of generators at home.

“We can allow generators at business centres, but after two to three years, when the effects would have been seen, we can then place a total ban on use of generators in every sector. That is when everybody will pray for the success of the emergency,” Senator Adeyemi said.

He said by banning the importation of generators, the government could successfully tackle the cartel that ruined all initiatives in the power sector in the past.

Adeyemi said: “the president must summon the political will. We should take a cue from the way nations have solved their pressing problems. There is no way except leaders take the radical steps. Energy problems have been on for over two decades now and unless we effect change through reasonable radicalism, we may be a long way to success.”

Are you sure you read the article as is?? Notice the article does not even mention banning ONLY AFTER ELECTRICITY is in place to supply. I states that an immediate Ban be placed on homes, THEN after 2 or 3 years, the ban be extended to businesses and made national.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Etisalat Is 5 Years Today In Nigeria! / Customs Generates N1.01trillion Revenue, Exceeds N770.5bn Year Target By 24% / I Want To Start A Business Centre,need Advise And Guidelines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.