Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,506 members, 7,823,187 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? (1685 Views)

What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? / Misuse Of Power By Some Vehicle Insurance Officers. / Third Party Auto Insurance In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? by Stylaay(m): 5:21pm On Nov 11, 2013
I registered my car in plateau state in 2012 i was registered with an insurance company i did not select myself and i supposedly assumed i'm paying premium to them since i was issued a third party insurance receipt. My papers expired last month and some sure-p vio criminals arrested me and took my car to thier office in abuja compeling me to renew my paper there and then. I eventually paid a lump sum to renew my vehicle papers. Among the receipts i was issued, i discovered i was registered to a new insurance provider. If i have an insurance claim as regards my vehicle can i channel my complaints to this insurance company the VIO forcibly registered me to? Cos some of us might just be enriching some dubious individuals unknowingly.

1 Like

Re: Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? by AjaraEwuro: 6:27pm On Nov 11, 2013
ask the VIO people. Is it third party or comprehensive. Third party anywhere in Nigeria is only 5k. U discovered in the receipts or you discovered from the insurance certificate issued? If you have a certificate issued from an insurance company, off course you can claim under it. Did you see the certificate? Phone the company up to confirm. Always collect certificates, not just insurance receipts.
Re: Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? by Stylaay(m): 9:07pm On Nov 11, 2013
It's third party from the certificate and it cost 5k
Re: Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? by elektra80: 10:17pm On Nov 11, 2013
Stylaay: It's third party from the certificate and its cost 5k

sorry bro, u cant get any claims from 3rd party insurance. Seriously u paid 5k and expect to get claims? Unless u have a comprehensive insurance and even with that in naija u will go through hell before u get ur claims.

1 Like

Re: Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? by JUO(m): 1:08am On Nov 12, 2013
my guy na empowerment for some oga 's at the top
Re: Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? by ackor: 5:19am On Nov 12, 2013
So sad people are being forced into doing things against their wish just to enrich some disgungled elements in Nigeria. Sad enough is the new drivers licence that takes over 1 years to be ready now. So funny. Where is Nigeria heading to?
Re: Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? by AjaraEwuro: 6:10am On Nov 12, 2013
ackor: So sad people are being forced into doing things against their wish just to enrich some disgungled elements in Nigeria. Sad enough is the new drivers licence that takes over 1 years to be ready now. So funny. Where is Nigeria heading to?

How is this related to the OP post? His papers has expired, and the law doesnt allow a car to be driven without the correct papers. So he has to get those papers immediately, wether he likes it or not.

In the UK, I have had my car taken away because the tax papers expired and I never see the car again. They will tow it away, they wont even drive it because driving it is illegal as it doesnt have papers. So. Its not about enriching, its about getting correct papers there and then.
Re: Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? by Stylaay(m): 12:34pm On Nov 12, 2013
elektra80:

sorry bro, u cant get any claims from 3rd party insurance. Seriously u paid 5k and expect to get claims? Unless u have a comprehensive insurance and even with that in naija u will go through hell before u get ur claims.
from a layman's perspective, my understanding of insurance means if i suffer a loss or damage to my vehicle i can make a claim. Comprehensive or third party i dunno. We should not be compelled to pay insurance if aren't entitled to claims. They should hide under another umbrella to extort us. That's how the criminals charged of 5hundred bucks for vehicle inspection. N500 to check my brake lights and headlights? No wonder one VIO GUY dey brag gee me say en get 3houses for capital city. Na wah to this country
Re: Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? by AjaraEwuro: 2:10pm On Nov 12, 2013
Stylaay:
from a layman's perspective, my understanding of insurance means if i suffer a loss or damage to my vehicle i can make a claim. Comprehensive or third party i dunno. We should not be compelled to pay insurance if aren't entitled to claims. They should hide under another umbrella to extort us. That's how the criminals charged of 5hundred bucks for vehicle inspection. N500 to check my brake lights and headlights? No wonder one VIO GUY dey brag gee me say en get 3houses for capital city. Na wah to this country

Third party is different from comprehensive. Comprehensive is quite expensive - usually 5% of the cost of the car, this is the one that gets your car repaired in case of accident. Third party insurance means its the third party that benefits, example if you hit someone, its the other person you hit that will benefit, thats why it is called third party insurance.

An insurance policy purchased for protection against the actions of another party. Third-party insurance is purchased by the insured (first party) from an insurance company (second party) for protection against another party's claims (third party).

Third-party automobile insurance is one of the more popular types of third-party insurance. Drivers are often required by their state to have adequate insurance coverage to ensure that damages resulting from an accident can be paid for. "Third-party" in the case of automotive insurance would be the driver of the other vehicle, since that person is not the first party (principal) in the insurance policy.
Re: Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? by DisGuy: 2:50pm On Nov 12, 2013
when you say you papers expired- you mean your insurance or ... ?

They dont give you the option of choosing your own insurance? You should get it cancelled and get proper insurance

I thought VIO were meant to check the road worthiness of cars, not license and insurance --too many agencies
Re: Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? by liftedme(m): 4:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
Please note that you are not entitled to any insurance benefit if you purchase your Insurance from touts or any other source outside the Insurance Companies and the Insurance Brokers. Many Nigerians are given this fake Insurance Papers each day in various Licence Offices around the Country.

Please approach any of the Insurance Companies or their Brokers/Agents if you really need Insurance. I have my cars and other properties insured and I make my claims whenever a genuine loss occurs.

Thank you.
Re: Is Vehicle Insurance In Nigeria A Fraud? by methyl: 4:50pm On Jul 14, 2015
Do not patronise tout
contact me am a risk advisor in Mutual Benefit Assurance Plc. I am Mutiu and u can contact me on 08188373898

(1) (Reply)

Suitable Car For A Retiree? / Reverse Camera Is Not Displaying / Final Year Student Of Ambrose Alli University Built A Car - Mass News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.