Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,979 members, 7,817,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike (25683 Views)

ASUU STRIKE: Lecturers Vote For Continuation Of Strike / UNIJOS Passes Vote For Continuation Of ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike Update In Punch ( Suspension Of Strike: No Classes Yet, Unijos Asu) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by Fadelex(m): 11:00am On Nov 12, 2013
My take is that if this strike will bring lasting solutions to the system, let it continue. I was reading an article some years back where it is revealed that a US senators has 70 aides, I marveled at this figure but when I read thru the report, I realized that the only way to be relevant is to be informed. how on earth will d govt sign an agreement she does not fully understand? was there no lawyer in d cabinet? was there no financial advisor to advise them on financial implications? was there no renowned educator to tell them what is obtainable in d education system? and to think that d then president and vice-president were lecturers made my heart bleed. did d government cunningly sign d agreement knowingly she will never fulfil it. why has d president waited for 4 months b4 he intervened? what was d true content of the agreement?
no matter what, govt must find a lasting solution and give honest proposal to ASUU. see what happened during US govt shutdown, Obama never shifted ground because healthcare has been passed into law and the republicans were unable to blackmail him because they signed it.

last bullet: ASUU should please for sake of Nigerian students shift ground a li2
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by Nobody: 11:00am On Nov 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The problem with some Nigerians is their selective approach to issues. We all read the report about the UK lecturers going on strike. How many days did the strike last? Just one day. Was the demands of the lecturers met while the strike lasted? Are the UK lecturers not aware that they can also go on indefinite strike the Nigerian way? So why didnt they use that approach?

Since you and I criticise out political leaders for not copying the RIGHT things from the western world, why not our lazy lecturers? Why is what is good for the goose not also good for the gander? Where else in the world would labour leaders shut the door of the universities for months, claiming to be fighting for improved quality of higher education? You killed education for months in the name of fighting for better education? How does that add up?

More over, ASUU has been embarking on strike since the late 70s, but decades after we'r still on the same issue. So what has changed? Motion without movement.

I dont believe in half-measures. If we want to solve the problems in our universities, we have to do it whollistically. ASUU is not part of that whollistic solution because they'r part of the problem. I will not support ASUU because the so called 2009 does not address the problems in our universities. We need to tell our selves the truth and do the RIGHT thing, which is complete autonomy of the universities (not the type ASUU is asking for). Govt should establish students loans or whatever to help those who cannot meet up with the increment of schools that will follow real autonomy. The FG govt universities will still get grants but these grants will be fixed by the NASS and will not be subject to labour dispute. ASUU should be proscribed. All labour disputes should be handled locally.

As long as we dont do the right thing, we will soon be back to square one- another strike

The problem with your analysis is that you took side before writing this... Did you ask your self why lecturers in Uk could easily agree to call off strike while negotiation continues?... Because they have men of integrity at the helm of affairs of govt. people who will not say a thing and later deny it. Yes, strikes have been since 70's but have you checked if the govt. have ever honored any of the agreement made since the 1st ASUU strike in this country?
Have you seen the whole 2009 agreement or you just saw some parts and concluded it's not the solution?

1 Like

Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by Memyselfu2009(m): 11:09am On Nov 12, 2013
Thunder fire you yeye man
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by proffemi: 11:14am On Nov 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I dont believe in half-measures. If we want to solve the problems in our universities, we have to do it whollistically. ASUU is not part of that whollistic solution because they'r part of the problem. I will not support ASUU because the so called 2009 does not address the problems in our universities. We need to tell our selves the truth and do the RIGHT thing, which is complete autonomy of the universities (not the type ASUU is asking for). Govt should establish students loans or whatever to help those who cannot meet up with the increment of schools that will follow real autonomy. The FG govt universities will still get grants but these grants will be fixed by the NASS and will not be subject to labour dispute. ASUU should be proscribed. All labour disputes should be handled locally.

To be clear, I need to state where I agree with you. I agree with you 100% that universities should be autonomous not just when in comes to selecting VCs, but in every other way. However, the students who are hailing your post probably do not know that it indicates advocacy for fees in the hundreds of thousands and Millions of Naira. Don't get me wrong. I am a very staunch believer in increase in fees. I am however also always mindful of the feasibility of my ideas. One of the tentpoles of your argument is

Govt should establish students loans or whatever to help those who cannot meet up with the increment of schools

Really? You seriously believe a government that has to be clotheslined by ASUU each time they need it to do something for the universities, will actually properly run such schemes?? Face facts. The government wants to wash its hand of education, but not for the right reasons. Your idea is excellent in conception, but fails to admit the insincerity of the government. If you stopped beating on ASUU for a minute, you would realize that *every* party in this matter must share the blame: FG, ASUU, parents, students, other Nigerians.

ASUU has its problems. But one would expect that a self-proclaimed body of intellectuals would be able to sort its problems from within. There are those of us who are already devoted to the rise of a new ASUU (not the union, but the class of intellectuals in Nigeria). Inept and lazy lecturers are a big part of the problems with the universities, but ASUU as a union has done more than anyone else to drag the universities forward.

5 Likes

Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by Sajio(m): 11:15am On Nov 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I should have known you'r one of those lazy, unpatriotic, corrupt bunch, who call themselves ASUU. ASUU has been going on strike since the late 70s but what has changed? Only fools keep doing the same thing while expecting different result. Yeye!
....... 100,000 likes!! If u can check very well, the dude might be APC!
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by Nobody: 11:19am On Nov 12, 2013
naija2dabone:

Dear God,

You are the Almighty God. You are God all by yourself. No one elected
you and no one can impeach you.

I pray for your son Jonathan, who is faced with principalities and
powers that have held this nation down in backwardness and darkness for
decades. These demons now bear various names including ASSU, Boko Haram,
NPDP, APC, northern Elders forum, NGF, etc. All these demonic
wickedness in high places have one common mission: to stop your son
Jonathan from completing his transformation programme come 2015.

Dear lord, in whatever way/form they come against your son, let them
fall in shame. Let their wicked imagination not see the light of the
day, Let their evil plot backfire and may they never see the throne of
this nation.

Throw your weight around oh God and let them know there is a God in
heaven who rules in the affairs of men.

Thank you lord.
In Jesus name

Amennnn! Sincere 9gerian n Take dat, continue o... :>
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by enet1(m): 11:21am On Nov 12, 2013
Lafatty: ASUU u beta dnt mess ursed up coz ai knw like half of u re not rendering what u ve been paid for so wotz all dis nonsense all abt,ai can remember some of my lectures ar still using as old as 20yrs old note,some of dem sef ar bunche of foolz
U are on point
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by creativemusic: 11:24am On Nov 12, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I should have known you'r one of those lazy, unpatriotic, corrupt bunch, who call themselves ASUU. ASUU has been going on strike since the late 70s but what has changed? Only fools keep doing the same thing while expecting different result. Yeye!
Well said man!
Its unthinkable dat any lecturer wud want to sit back after 5months of strike. Its simply incomprehensible! Lecturers all over d world are civil servants known for quiet but invaluable contribution to society tru invention from decades of research. Here in 9ja na reverse gear we dey. But most of us are not suprised because we are products of ds failed system and have seen ds decay 1st hand. You only have to trail dz lazy fools frontn themselves as patriots to d classroom to fully understand who d real enemy is here.
I'm talkn abt lecturers who don't come to school much less d classroom until 2weeks to d exam. I'm abt lecturers who hand over lecture materials to course reps for onward photocopy a week to exam leaving students wit d DIY option. I'm talkn abt lecturers who when they decide to show up in school, expoit their students sexually nd material wise in exchange for good grades. I'm talkn abt lecturers who hand over notes year to year. Infact most profs have not made any alteration to their lecture notes since they were engaged in d 70's. Its a pity really
Its true successiv govts have failed ds country so much generally but my people ds lecturers have contributed in equal or more measure to bastardize d system to d sorry state it is today
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by proffemi: 11:30am On Nov 12, 2013
kapable75: i think ur fada is part of d ASUU striking for his pockets
Lecturing in Nigeria: the very definition of a thankless job.

The "fadas" you are abusing chose to wrestle the FG on your behalf to prevent school fees from going out of the roof. They have just successfully fought for the injection of 1.1 trillion that will make your education more meaningful (abi you hear say one single kobo of that 1.1 trillion is going into a lecturer's pocket??). I feel so sad for this country. Imbecility has taken such strong roots that perhaps people such as myself are fighting a losing battle.

3 Likes

Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by dmostcheerful(f): 11:31am On Nov 12, 2013
lauyan Abuja: @Mumumugu, am sure u don't know much about Northerners as u must holed up in the south. Even if our falsehood is accorded credence, your light brain will agree with me that northerners are good when they pursue academic excellence!!
stop stammering.
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by beejaay: 11:34am On Nov 12, 2013
big deal 007:

The problem with your analysis is that you took side before writing this... Did you ask your self why lecturers in Uk could easily agree to call off strike while negotiation continues?... Because they have men of integrity at the helm of affairs of govt. people who will not say a thing and later deny it. Yes, strikes have been since 70's but have you checked if the govt. have ever honored any of the agreement made since the 1st ASUU strike in this country?
Have you seen the whole 2009 agreement or you just saw some parts and concluded it's not the solution?
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by Jman06(m): 11:35am On Nov 12, 2013
take dat: Employ new lecturers such as, You? A Mere certificate flasher? An inexperience medical doctor turn self-appointed government spokesperson who probably think leeches can cure headache, and chlorofoam is still used as an anasthetic At a time when we are experiencing huge brain drain, we should just discard the few tested hands we've got and employ untested ones? We should discard the few qualified professors that we have and employ those with masters degree or mere certificate flashers as their replacement?

Isn't Jonathan also greedy, selfish, corrupt and wicked? You think just because you are innately dishonest, every other person must always exhibit such trait? Why not wait for their final resolution before polluting everywhere with your drivel?
Though i'm not in support of sacking those striking lecturers,i want to disagree with you that M.Sc or good first degree holders are totally inexperienced like you infered.I'm very much aware that most of those 'experienced' lecturers we have today were employed as graduate assistants before they worked their ways to where they are today.It's also a known fact that most of those lucturers that seem to find some delight from going on strikes are mediocres who are only concerned about what they stand to benefit from the system.If they really have the interests of the students at heart,this is the right time to call of the strike.
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by beejaay: 11:35am On Nov 12, 2013
big deal 007:

dont mind the guy jare..he is a fvcktar foooll..i wonder why u guys are replying him sef... its people like that guy that destroyed this country with their twisted mentality.. i am a product of this so called university and i can say it anywhere that i cant defend my certificate courtesy of Nigeria govt ( i had to develop myself after graduation) and i can bet my ass. off that 95% of today's graduate will never be able to defend it also (mind you i have graduated like 8yrs ago fast forward to 2013 and imagine what have happened to education in this country going by what happened to me and people like me 8yrs ago).. throughout my 4yrs program, i didnt enter computer lab once and there was never a practical class throughout the 4yrs (am a graduate of computer science ooooo)

ASUU SHOULD PLEASE FIGHT FOR THE FUTURE OF OUR YOUTH AND THE FUTURE OF THIS COUNTRY...WITHOUT QUALITY EDUCATION THERE CAN NEVER BE A TRUE DEVELOPMENT

**if govt is tired of funding them, they should give them full autonomy or do their job as enshrined in the constitution
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by olamisegbe(m): 11:44am On Nov 12, 2013
Hehehehehehe............... I laughed in spannish
everybody fighting for their pockets, Niger I hail thee.

ASUU pls call-off this strike for the sake of Nigerian students and save our life, we will be praying hopefully that this agreement will be filfuled, no point for arguments.
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by Ukutsgp(m): 11:46am On Nov 12, 2013
ASUU should continue the strike until the full amount is released. If not, the four months strike embarked upon is only a waste. This government cannot be trusted. If the strike is eventually called off, it wont take long before a more serious one will emerge. And this one may even take up to one year. Mark my words.
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by donphilopus: 11:57am On Nov 12, 2013
Pretty-Clare7:
he spewd his opinion. if unijos doesnt want to resume its their business. m sure other ppl want to return to sch.
Ok
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by Goldenheart(m): 12:08pm On Nov 12, 2013
Nigeria is always divided...
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by solajacobs(m): 12:16pm On Nov 12, 2013
Imagine if they are not paid for the period they stayed at home? most of them would have gone back to work without any resolution.
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by pcnwamadi(m): 12:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
L.M Ayedun..:
These people want to see the Wrath of Oga Jonathan...

The FG should deploy that plan B - forceful reopening of all public Universities.
when Rivers State University of science and technology embarked on indefinit strik, Gov Amaechi pleaded with them all to no avail, he forcefully reopened the school, asked the lecturers to resume emediatly or there wont be any salary for any lecturer who doesnt resume skool and they all went back to the class rooms. Nigeria needs strong hands, not pleading with dis selfish old fools who is only interested in them selfs..
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by dayo23(f): 12:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
take dat: Employ new lecturers such as, You? A Mere certificate flasher? An inexperience medical doctor turn self-appointed government spokesperson who probably think leeches can cure headache, and chlorofoam is still used as an anasthetic At a time when we are experiencing huge brain drain, we should just discard the few tested hands we've got and employ untested ones? We should discard the few qualified professors that we have and employ those with masters degree or mere certificate flashers as their replacement?

Isn't Jonathan also greedy, selfish, corrupt and wicked? You think just because you are innately dishonest, every other person must always exhibit such trait? Why not wait for their final resolution before polluting everywhere with your drivel?
Gbam!!!
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by dayo23(f): 12:20pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ukuts gp: ASUU should continue the strike until the full amount is released. If not, the four months strike embarked upon is only a waste. This government cannot be trusted. If the strike is eventually called off, it wont take long before a more serious one will emerge. And this one may even take up to one year. Mark my words.
+100
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by dayo23(f): 12:26pm On Nov 12, 2013
L.M Ayedun..:
**Screams a big Amen!!!!** grin
God is not a God of partiality
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by yetunsbay(m): 12:28pm On Nov 12, 2013
donphilopus: What's this one spewing??
wot u wanna hear ofcourse.
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by solelymade: 12:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Dont you get it? ASUU uses strike to blackmail and pressure govt into signing ridiculous and un-implementable agreements. Yar Adua signed that agreement in 2009 just to get ASUU off his back, even if momentarily. The same thing is happening again. After 4 months strike, govt has been forced to make new concessions, even if just to make the ASUU call off the strike momentarily. Its been like that since the late 70s. So the cycle of madness continues.

Meanwhile, are you insinuating that because govt is irresponsible, ASUU should also act irresponsibly? So if people from ASUU find themselves in govt tomorrow, they'll continue with the irresponsibility? So the cycle of irresponsibility continues? Yet, mischief makers like you claim you want a better Nigeria? What happens to copying best practices and being the change you want to see?
Dude u're unbelievable, sincere nigerian my foot. Stupid u encouraging a continuum of irresponsibility because GEJ should thrive on d pedestal of irresponsibility set by his predecessors and u expect me to vote him come 2015.

To u niggaz liking his post, I'm quite sure its as a result of early morning sickness.

I school in a school purported 2 be d best fg owned uni, my dept has got no STANDARD GISLAB, no Common Greenhouse, absent soil laboratory, cartographic unit and many more. Made use of maps printed in black and white during tests and exams and dis dude 'keeps saying FG should maintain status quo of irresponsibility because Jonathan pays ur wage.

ASUU will only have acted irresponsibly by not demanding increased funding 4 universities and their own personal allowances 2 motivate them more.

Come 2015 i go surprise u and ur master.

2 Likes

Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by kiyosaki1(m): 12:33pm On Nov 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
What is this one saying ? blah blah blah blah blah
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by Mergic(m): 12:35pm On Nov 12, 2013
Let them jst suspend the strike so I cud go finish up my final exams..Afterwards, they cn go on 50yrs strike if they thence wish..

Dn't wanna miss March Batch ooo!
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by ventnaija: 12:38pm On Nov 12, 2013
[Gist] : Singer Maheeda Takes Of Her Nun Cloths, Touches Her Privates & Goes Naked For Us
http://ventnaija..com.br/2013/11/maheeda-takes-of-her-nun-cloths-touches.html
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by MachineX(m): 12:48pm On Nov 12, 2013
After Reading Some Threads On ASUU, i be like "are people not stupid? What everybody is complaining that its not good, some MAD-CATS go about voting for it to continue" well, i will support that if only it would be restricted to UNIJOS and the other voting-for-continuation Universities alone. Thanks

my point of view: i-remain-MachineX

Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by hardballripplez: 1:04pm On Nov 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Dont you get it? ASUU uses strike to blackmail and pressure govt into signing ridiculous and un-implementable agreements. Yar Adua signed that agreement in 2009 just to get ASUU off his back, even if momentarily. The same thing is happening again. After 4 months strike, govt has been forced to make new concessions, even if just to make the ASUU call off the strike momentarily. Its been like that since the late 70s. So the cycle of madness continues.

Meanwhile, are you insinuating that because govt is irresponsible, ASUU should also act irresponsibly? So if people from ASUU find themselves in govt tomorrow, they'll continue with the irresponsibility? So the cycle of irresponsibility continues? Yet, mischief makers like you claim you want a better Nigeria? What happens to copying best practices and being the change you want to see?
. ASUU didn't force Yar'adua to sign the agreement. According to ASUU the proposal was with jonathan(vice prez then) for 6months. After going through it and as a former lecturer he urged the prez to sign it. Soo the blame is not on ASUU. And comparing naija with uk is really absurd, u compared on what basis? Their educational sector is alright and up to the world standard, ours is still in infancy after over 50yrs of independence. Abeg talk better or just shut ya mouth!!# I'm not a member, I'm a student also affected by this long holiday. But I support ASUU 100percent, coz this aint new demands, they just want the FG to sign an agreement it entered with the union willingly.
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by naijaboiy: 1:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
I don't CARE!!!!....i just want to go to SCHOOL!!!
Re: UNIJOS, 5 other Universities Voted For Continuation Of Strike by mvem(m): 1:39pm On Nov 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The problem with some Nigerians is their selective approach to issues. We all read the report about the UK lecturers going on strike. How many days did the strike last? Just one day. Was the demands of the lecturers met while the strike lasted? Are the UK lecturers not aware that they can also go on indefinite strike the Nigerian way? So why didnt they use that approach?

Since you and I criticise out political leaders for not copying the RIGHT things from the western world, why not our lazy lecturers? Why is what is good for the goose not also good for the gander? Where else in the world would labour leaders shut the door of the universities for months, claiming to be fighting for improved quality of higher education? You killed education for months in the name of fighting for better education? How does that add up?

More over, ASUU has been embarking on strike since the late 70s, but decades after we'r still on the same issue. So what has changed? Motion without movement.

I dont believe in half-measures. If we want to solve the problems in our universities, we have to do it whollistically. ASUU is not part of that whollistic solution because they'r part of the problem. I will not support ASUU because the so called 2009 does not address the problems in our universities. We need to tell our selves the truth and do the RIGHT thing, which is complete autonomy of the universities (not the type ASUU is asking for). Govt should establish students loans or whatever to help those who cannot meet up with the increment of schools that will follow real autonomy. The FG govt universities will still get grants but these grants will be fixed by the NASS and will not be subject to labour dispute. ASUU should be proscribed. All labour disputes should be handled locally.

As long as we dont do the right thing, we will soon be back to square one- another strike
.....uk has given there lecteures the enabling enviroment and has also put money into education so while will the lecteures strike like those of nigeria....do u know y ASUU kept on striking since in the 70s...we all know the military killed tertiary eduction in nigeria(not there fault how many went to the university or even school)....so what re u saying....if there hadnt been strike only God knows what the educational system in nigeria will be.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos Private Schools Reopen On October 26, Public Schools Remain Shut / Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing / Nzubechukwu Victor Okonkwo: Maritime Academy Distances Itself From Cultist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.