Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,912 members, 7,824,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools (25748 Views)

Five Things About Students Who Attend Public Schools. / Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools / Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by spade: 12:08am On Nov 12, 2013
Ummm... I'd just like to ask...

I remember there was a time the Lagos State Government said it would begin to arrest parents whose young children weren't in school during school hours.

Well, with this law blocking a lot of these kids from getting into school, does that mean the LSG would arrest their parents?

Wow... Lagos ACN just continues with its streak as the most oppressive, iidiiotic government in Nigeria's recent history.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by dabrake(m): 12:09am On Nov 12, 2013
theoctopus: What is so stup1d about this position is that they dont even know how backward it sounds. In 2013, to think that education is still all about getting 60% is so sad! Please they should send some people to Japan and learn how a modern education system should run. It is about training and preparing kids for their future, not awarding scores and grading students. So daft, this LASG! angry
Dude, why are you so annoyed? Were you among those who failed the placement examinations?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by freeR1: 12:10am On Nov 12, 2013
theoctopus:
Are jobless people supposed to pay taxes? Please answer me or shut up!

"Jobless people" with no income are still required to obtain a tax clearance. What they get is a tax exempt certificate just like startups or companies running at a loss. Don't mistake tax clearance for paying tax. A lot go into paying tax. For those who go about paying 5k, I am sure it is out of ignorance or they fall into the unskilled labour category. If this is the case, because their income cannot be properly determined, LASG has a 3k flat rate that they are asked to pay "they are not jobless" (Maybe it has been increased now).

Not paying tax is a serious offence (carries a jail time). It is encouraged to know the tax policy of your state and always get your tax clearance at the beginning of every year.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by gunuvi(m): 12:12am On Nov 12, 2013
seedord247: What about Egun?
What do you mean and moreover it is 'ogu' not egun.
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by UyiIredia(m): 12:18am On Nov 12, 2013
Mynd_44: Those public secondary schools are getting crowded mehn.....they should not be thrown open to everyone. If a student fails placement exams, he/she should try again next year or go learn a trade

If only technical education were enhanced in this regards our nation's conomy will grow in leaps and bounds. Technical education is not getting the attention it deserves. This in spite of the good example Tai Solarin is said to have made with his secondary school where students are expected to farm, build, clean etc.
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Nobody: 12:18am On Nov 12, 2013
baby_123:

If they are special needs children, they should not be in regular schools. Their parents can take care of that problem. These Lagos state schools already help the poor with education. The school fees are cheap enough for the poor to afford. All they raised was the standard. A poor child can be as smart as a rich child if they are determined and have access to a good education. They can do just as well as any child from a better background. A lot of private schools cheat for their students so their parents can get their moneys worth. This will target students who are in school based on merit. And parents will put in more effort to have their kids ready for a better education. At the end of the day, it only helps everyone. If a special needs child is in a regular school with little or no standard, how would their needs ever be considered when regular kids have their own needs neglected. . What you are saying is a bad standard of education is better than none at all. With better performing students, better teachers will and should be employed.

I understand your point. However, I believe naij is a member of UN and UNESCO and according to those two bodies, education to sec sch level is the right of every child. Denying them would amount to denying them their basic rights.

Children are the future of tomorrow and we need to give them tools to survive and no child deserve to be neglected regardless of their capabilities or background. If the state gov feels certain kids need special facilities to learn. It's'their responsibility to either recommend them to special schools and build new ones for them. That's not parental responsibility - that's'for the gov to do.

These kids are willing to get an education and they should be supported and looked after. It's'their right.

Ps: soz for how muffled up my post is. I'm typing from a phone.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Nobody: 12:33am On Nov 12, 2013
macjive01: Thank God!
Thats all we have bern praying for. Level playing ground and let the best win .

Let the olodos, ugly daft Inbreeds to turn to their natural calling, agbero. Omo ni le. Area boys.

Time for the people who has been marginalised and denied opportunities to show their true potential.

There is going to be a MANESFESTATION.
U are very stuped for ur statement... Ideot

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by kandiikane(m): 1:04am On Nov 12, 2013
So, after banning, are they going to open up a "special school" to help those unable to pass?

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by youngmonie: 1:23am On Nov 12, 2013
kandiikane: So, after banning, are they going to open up a "special school" to help those unable to pass?

lol... They should go and learn trade Nigeria is in dear need of more mechanics, carpenters, plumbers, hairstylist, gardeners, skilled drivers, electricians, skilled bricklayers, They can serve their country join the armed forces....God there are lots of options in Nigeria ooo everybody cannot be accountant or doctor or lawyer
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by oladapolif: 1:27am On Nov 12, 2013
macjive01: Thank God!
Thats all we have bern praying for. Level playing ground and let the best win .

Let the olodos, ugly daft Inbreeds to turn to their natural calling, agbero. Omo ni le. Area boys.

Time for the people who has been marginalised and denied opportunities to show their true potential.

There is going to be a MANESFESTATION.

U dont have common sense, most of those agbero are better than your generation in education, try and talk to one first. English spoken by spare parts is not english. Back to the matter, this is worst move the state govt, they should ban corruption in schools, no head is dumb...
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by kandiikane(m): 1:36am On Nov 12, 2013
youngmonie:

lol... They should go and learn trade Nigeria is in dear need of more mechanics, carpenters, plumbers, hairstylist, gardeners, skilled drivers, electricians, skilled bricklayers, They can serve their country join the armed forces....God there are lots of options in Nigeria ooo everybody cannot be accountant or doctor or lawyer

Well, this is absolutely wrong. Some people are slower than others. Failing maths or english, doesn't make one unintelligent, The government should have special tuitions/extra lessons for them during primary school or something to give them a better chance. There should be tests done early to determine which students are slower. I am sure if assessed in other areas they would be highly skilled in them. See autistic kids. If let's say bill gates(he dropped out anyway) failed maths and english or whatever subjects it was and he was popped off to do mechanics, We would not be on here today. Children should be encouraged and helped rather than banned. Everyone has a right to some form of education and the government needs to help students more. Find what they are passionate or skilled in and help them with that rather than banning them so they can end up being houseboys.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by theoctopus: 1:45am On Nov 12, 2013
free R1:

"Jobless people" with no income are still required to obtain a tax clearance. What they get is a tax exempt certificate just like startups or companies running at a loss. Don't mistake tax clearance for paying tax. A lot go into paying tax. For those who go about paying 5k, I am sure it is out of ignorance or they fall into the unskilled labour category. If this is the case, because their income cannot be properly determined, LASG has a 3k flat rate that they are asked to pay "they are not jobless" (Maybe it has been increased now).

Not paying tax is a serious offence (carries a jail time). It is encouraged to know the tax policy of your state and always get your tax clearance at the beginning of every year.

What is tax exemption? You people are wicked and criminal. You collect taxes from jobless and homeless people and come here to post trash! Awon Ole! You people are very heartless and ungodly! You treat the poor like dirt. You talk nonsense about people going back to their villages as if Lagos indigenes are not part of the victims of this your elitist and corrupt policies, geared at extracting money from the public for Tinubu and his cronies! Continue to stuff your pockets with stolen money and if you like, concession everything to Tinubu's family. One day na one day! Ole buruku!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by theoctopus: 1:47am On Nov 12, 2013
youngmonie:

You are a big iddiot! Just because you were privileged to go to some bush school, you think everyone else should be treated like dirt! Heartless people you lot are! Criminals and evil people! Awon Ole!
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Nobody: 1:53am On Nov 12, 2013
Our leaders always demonstrate how clueless and foolish they are...........................

Why ban an 'unintelligent' student from school when a good education is all he/she needs to become more intelligent?

If we all ban people we class as 'unintelligent' in school, where do you want them to go? The further you drive these students way, the more they become disenfranchised, thereby making them a menace to society.....

A student we class 'unintelligent' 2day ( maybe due to family issues, health reasons, poverty) might overcome those obstacles and become more intelligent 2morw. Most students in Nigeria struggle not because they are stupid but because there are external factors affecting their studies....

If schools are then turning these students away, then they should bow their heads in shame.....

Instead of her to be looking at teachings standards and teaching facilities, she isn't. As a result, these poor souls will have to bear the brunt of her cluelessness....

Ban disruptive students, not 'unintelligent' student.... Any student that shows willingness to study, no matter his/her level of intelligence should be allowed in schools...

Let their WAEC and JAMB results be the judge!!! Why label a kid so early in life as 'unintelligent' when he might be the one to take us to Mars 2morw?

If 40% of student don't make it to SS classes because of poor grades, the system has effectively offloaded millions of 13/14 years old into the street, with no alternatives.

It won't provide apprenticeship scheme and yet wanna offload them?

Our leaders are highly unintelligent!!!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by vislabraye(m): 2:02am On Nov 12, 2013
So those people who are olodos or have learning disability, what happens to them ? Don't they have rights to good education ?
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by kandiikane(m): 2:12am On Nov 12, 2013
obo_man: Our leaders always demonstrate how clueless and foolish they are...........................

Why ban an 'unintelligent' student from school when a good education is all he/she needs to become more intelligent?

If we all ban people we class as 'unintelligent' in school, where do you want them to go? The further you drive these students way, the more they become disenfranchised, thereby making them a menace to society.....

A student we class 'unintelligent' 2day ( maybe due to family issues, health reasons, poverty) might overcome those obstacles and become more intelligent 2morw. Most students in Nigeria struggle not because they are stupid but because there are external factors affecting their studies....

If schools are then turning these students away, then they should bow their heads in shame.....

Instead of her to be looking at teachings standards and teaching facilities, she isn't. As a result, these poor souls will have to bear the brunt of her cluelessness....

Ban disruptive students, not 'unintelligent' student.... Any student that shows willingness to study, no matter his/her level of intelligence should be allowed in schools...

Let their WAEC and JAMB results be the judge!!! Why label a kid so early in life as 'unintelligent' when he might be the one to take us to Mars 2morw?

If 40% of student don't make it to SS classes because of poor grades, the system has effectively offloaded millions of 13/14 years old into the street, with no alternatives.

It won't provide apprenticeship scheme and yet wanna offload them?

Our leaders are highly unintelligent!!!

This
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by ddeola: 2:14am On Nov 12, 2013
This caption is absolutely "WRONG". The content is entirely different from the caption
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Nobody: 2:24am On Nov 12, 2013
JECBOSS: In as much as I understand what the Lagos state govt. is trying to convey, I think Nairaland should replicate this. I'm of the opinion that poor command of English language as usually observed on Nairaland is symptomatic of our falling standards in education.
so, English is the S.I unit of intelligence?
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by NobleG1(m): 2:48am On Nov 12, 2013
JECBOSS: In as much as I understand what the Lagos state govt. is trying to convey, I think Nairaland should replicate this. I'm of the opinion that poor command of English language as usually observed on Nairaland is symptomatic of our falling standards in education.

That would be excellent. Sometimes I do wonder if 97% of Nairalanders are bunch of illiterates!
Some here claim to be graduates but can't write English. Example;
- Have becomes ve or hv.
- I'm becomes am or m.
- And becomes nd or n.
- You becomes u or yu.
- What becomes wat or wt.
And many more. If you use those in SMS service (which has a very low text limit), you could get away with it. But this forum can accommodate large amount of texts and files, so there's no genuine reason to not write English.

I was a bit pissed when my foreign friend joked about all the, extremely, horrible English he came across on Nairaland. He said it took him about thirty minutes to read through four comments and still didn't understand everything.

This problem is not only found on Nairaland. The majority of the Youth Corps members are more at home with the use of “broken English” as a means of communication!

The NYSC management recently researched into what corps members were writing in the form of applications for one thing or the other and noticed that about 89% of NYSC members could not write a good application! Very embarrassing!

Guys! Please, try to write English and don't be abashed if you've errors because practice makes perfect.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by ghananotnaija(m): 2:49am On Nov 12, 2013
Haha, soon its schools will be empty. Nigeria never ceases to amaze me.
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by thegoodjoehunt(m): 3:16am On Nov 12, 2013
speedyboi: now this is nonsense....Education is the right of every child! No child is unintelligent! This is a nonsense policy!

An unintelligent policy for that matter.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by StarFlux: 3:30am On Nov 12, 2013
Very sad, everyone deserves a chance.

Start offering education in our mother tongues instead of this English gibberish.
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Dhotseal(m): 3:38am On Nov 12, 2013

And such horrendous grammar should be visited with a ban...

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Nobody: 4:40am On Nov 12, 2013
Solid educational initiative. Let's start building our future leaders because the ones we have these days. Nna Odikwa very risky. grin grin
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Kyase(m): 4:49am On Nov 12, 2013
GustavoFring: They should first ban all the dull ex-students in Government-like Patience Goodluck
[color=#770077][/color]
10000000000000000 likes
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by nerodenero: 5:21am On Nov 12, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
I wish Nairaland banned all those who profess the christian faith.
Bigot!
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Nobody: 5:27am On Nov 12, 2013
So, to put it mildly, most of these dumbo kids on NL will be spending more time burning megabytes?

Wow.
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by Nobody: 5:33am On Nov 12, 2013
I just hope against hope that somehow that someone like Buhari can somehow become President, allow the Investigative agencies do their job, and let the Judiciary lock a few of these People up and give out hundred year sentences like its candy...

All this money Lagos State and Nigeria is making and they still have teachers that cant read and environments that are not conducive for learning yet they want to blame the kids for ending up like they have?

Lol, Nigeria is a huge joke.
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by ba7man(m): 5:37am On Nov 12, 2013
I believe every school Worldwide has a form of Examination to ensure students meet up to a required standard.

This simply means Lagos public schools wants to
Stop dealing With "Quantity of students" and resort to "Quality of students".
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by ba7man(m): 5:45am On Nov 12, 2013
StarFlux: Very sad, everyone deserves a chance.

Start offering education in our mother tongues instead of this English gibberish.
The World is now a global village. English is still the most widely spoken Language in the world.

With what you're proposing, a man will watch CNN and won't be able to understand a Word......but when he watches the "Yoruba" news, he'll suddenly come alive.

How will he now be in tune with the World??
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by bebechuks: 5:51am On Nov 12, 2013
Dats awesome
Re: Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools by omenka(m): 5:57am On Nov 12, 2013
macjive01:
Time for the people who HAS been marginalised...

Thanks for covertly telling us your kids might well be the first ones to be shown the way out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Candidates Should NOT Buy Post-utme Forms As Post UTME Remains Cancelled-nuc / Janet Kyeme, Lokoja University Student Goes Missing After Leaving For Lectures / Oxford University's African Studies Centre Blocks David Hundeyin On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.