Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,647 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Not All Indians Hate Nigerians Afterall - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Not All Indians Hate Nigerians Afterall (1436 Views)

Is There Any Country In Africa That Does Not Hate Nigerians / Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? / Ghanians Why Do U Pretend To Hate Nigerians, And Ethiopians Love Us? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not All Indians Hate Nigerians Afterall by flakkylegend(f): 7:42pm On Nov 11, 2013
Recently I have read a lot of things online about Nigerians and Indians. All these have made me so weary of Indians so much that I'm scared to even travel alone. I happen to live in a very dry city in India which makes me travel from time to time mostly to Delhi. However, with the news going round about Nigerians in India I have decided to stay in one place.

With all I have read I am beginning to think all Indians are racist and they hate Nigerians in particular.Although I am trying hard not to generalize and form this impression about them all. I have Indian friends whom I share so many things with. They invite me to their homes and they come to mine too. We exchange recipes, hang out together and i even spend nights in their homes sometimes. Should I just abandon them or I become suspicious of their moves? I cant possibly do that.

And today I have met two Indians who have come for training in my school. One, Niha was so excited to know that I am a Nigerian. She went on and on telling me how good and nice Nigerians are. She told me about her many Nigerian friends, some who have graduated and some that are still around. There and then she called one of them who happens to be from Adamawa Nigeria. From the way she talked to him you could see that they have a very good rapport. The other, Pankash had always been an acquaintance of mine, and just today he asked where I'm from. I told him Nigeria and the first thing he said is that Nigerians are very dangerous. I immediately told him that is it because of one news he heard about Nigerians in Goa that made him generalize. I asked him if he thinks I'm dangerous and he said no. He began to apologize and said he was only joking.

Now this is what Chimmamanda Adeche termed ''The danger of a single story". For Pankash probably he had never even heard about Nigeria until the Goa event. He didn't even know I am Nigerian until today. Probably the only story he has heard about Nigeria is that Nigerians are dangerous, hence his opinion that Nigerians are dangerous. As for Niha, obviously she has met some very wonderful Nigerians so she has a very good impression about them. Maybe she heard the Goa story, yet she still has this good impression about Nigerians. The same way I still don't think Indians are so bad even after all I have read in recent times about them.

As humans we seem to be quick to have certain impression about people based on the first story we hear about them. Europeans and Americans for example may have the impression that Africans are poor because the only stories or the first story they heard about us are about hunger and poverty. When we hear Sudan or Afghanistan, what comes to mind is war, war, war. Two weeks ago I met some Afghanistan who came for training in my school. These people did not look like they were coming from a war torn country. They looked just as good as U and I. They have good jobs back home and what comes to mind when you meet them on a neutral ground is definitely not war. I can say same for my sudanese friends.

The moral of the story is that we should not because of one story form a specific impression about a group of people. In every place we have good and bad people. Everybody should first of all be identified as an individual before being identified with his community, religion, race e.t.c If everyone of us can be objective and Open minded then we will not be quick to form an impression about a certain group of people based on just one or a few stories.

4 Likes

Re: Not All Indians Hate Nigerians Afterall by tpia5: 7:46pm On Nov 11, 2013
But its ok to form impression based on a story or stories if its tpia, right?
Re: Not All Indians Hate Nigerians Afterall by basty: 8:27pm On Nov 11, 2013
I wonder why we should be disturbing ourselves with Indians calling Nigerian dangerous? I hate them with perfect hatred. Indians are dupes, cheaters and Godless. I love my country Nigeria, Jah bless Nigeria.
Re: Not All Indians Hate Nigerians Afterall by Caseless: 8:40pm On Nov 11, 2013
'Those-fukcing-idol-worshipping-cheap-labour-seekers can be swept off tha surface of tha earth for all i care'! I hate them too...
*spits*

(1) (Reply)

Yay!!! Americans Graduate From University Of Ibadan With Bsc In Yoruba Language / Kogi State: Chaos And Pandemonium In Attah Igala's Palace, Idah - Update / Oba Elegushi In New Great Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.