Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,504 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. (1176 Views)

10 Ways To Overcome Public Shyness / How Do I Get Rid Of This "Shyness" Syndrome? / Help A 22 Year Old Overcome Shyness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by waleadex(m): 4:39am On Nov 12, 2013
A whole lots of people have really suffered immensely in various aspects of life all because they are too shy. Their actions and ways especially in public places are often misinterpreted for being too proud or not having interest in what is glaring to be involved in. For instance,you are in a gathering of young people about your age and you hardly speak at all, you may be seen as "forming";and that's trouble. If your friend runs to your defense and says that you are "just shy", then that is the only time some sets of people will understand.

However,the question is; what if there's no friend or sibling to defend you? What do you do? How do you handle your shyness and not be seen otherwise? Here are some helpful tips :

1. Understand Your Shyness

Seek to understand your unique brand of shyness and how that manifests in your life. Understand what situation triggers this feeling? And what are you concerned with at that point?

2. Turning Self Consciousness into Self Awareness

Recognise that the world is not looking at you. Besides, most people are too busy looking at themselves. Instead of watching yourself as if you are other people, bring your awareness inwards.

3. Find Your Strengths

We all have unique qualities and different ways of expressing ourselves. It’s important to know and fully accept the things we do well, even if they differ from the norm. If everyone was the same, the world would be a pretty boring place.

4. Learn to Like Yourself

Practice appreciating yourself and liking the unique expression that is you. Write a love letter to yourself, do things you enjoy, give gratitude for your body and its effortless functions, spend quality time getting to know yourself, go on a self-date.

5. Not Conforming

Trying to fit in like everyone else is exhausting and not very much fun. Understand that it is okay to be different. Accepting your unique qualities can set you free.

6. Focus on Other People
Rather than focusing on your awkwardness in social situations, focus on other people and what they have to say. Become interested in learning about others, and probe them to talk about themselves. You can try pondering the question while interacting: What is it about this person that I like?

7. Releasing Anxiety through Breath

Anxiety and fear can feel overwhelming if you are practising to become more assertive in order to overcome this fear.
One simple technique to calm this anxiety into manageable bites is taking deep breaths with your eyes closed, while concentrating on just your breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly while clearing out all thoughts.

8. Releasing Anxiety through Movement

With this,you ease of the tension or pressure of gathered thoughts in you.

9. Visualisation

Visualising yourself in the situation as a confident and happy person helps to shape your perception of yourself when you are actually in the situation.

10. Affirmation

Words can carry incredible energy. What we repeatedly tell ourselves, gets heard by our unconscious mind, and it acts accordingly.

11. Do Not Leave an Uncomfortable Situation

When we leave shy situations, what we are really doing is reinforcing our shyness. Instead, face the situation square in the face. Turn the fearful situation into a place of introspection and personal growth.

12. Accept Rejection

Accept the possibility that we can be rejected and learning to not take it personally. Remember, you are not alone and we all experience rejections.

13. Relinquish The Act Of Being Perfect

When we compare ourselves, we tend to compare ourselves with the most popular person in the room or we compare ourselves with celebrities we see on TV. We set excessive expectations by comparing ourselves unreasonably to people unlike ourselves and wonder “why can’t I be that?”

14. Stop Labelling Yourself

Stop labelling yourself as a shy person. You are you, you are unique, and you are beautiful. Can’t we just leave it at that?

15. Practice Social Skills

Like any other skill, social skills can be cultivated through practice and experience. The more you put yourself out there, the easier it becomes next time. If you have a hard time knowing what to say, you can practice what to say ahead of time.

16. Practice Being in Uncomfortable Situations

Sometimes, it is not the social skills we lack, but rather the lack of self confidence that we may succeed, and a heightened fear that we will fail.

17. The Three Questions

During social settings where you may experience nervousness, periodically ask yourself the following three questions. Doing so will distract yourself from more self-destructive thoughts. Make it your mantra:
Am I breathing?
Am I relaxed?
Am I moving with grace?

18. What is Comfortable for You?

Going to bars and clubs isn’t for everyone, and that’s okay. Understand what feels comfortable for you, and find people, communities and activities which bring out the best in you.

19. Focus on the Moment

When you are having a conversation, forget about how you look, focus on the words, fall into the words, become absorbed in the words. The tones. The expression. Appreciate it and give gratitude for it.

20. Seek and Record Your Successes

As you overcome this condition we label as shyness, you will have many wins and realisations about yourself. You will gain insights into the truth behind social scenarios.

1 Like

Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by Nobody: 5:04am On Nov 12, 2013
I think most persons who are shy are afraid of point 12. So they tend to keep to themselves.. Another reason could be how they grew up.. Mayb a wicked aunty or step-mum made dem to alwayx want to keep to themselves... The list goes on but whatever life style suits u, enjoy the kind of life. Besides some trip for u being like dat
Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by spicy244(f): 5:16am On Nov 12, 2013
Nice one. I'm actually a shy type. hope it will help М̣̣̥̇ε̲̣̣̣̥
because so many pple av tagged М̣̣̥̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ to be proud.
Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by waleadex(m): 5:26am On Nov 12, 2013
meetmonde: I think most persons who are shy are afraid of point 12. So they tend to keep to themselves.. Another reason could be how they grew up.. Mayb a wicked aunty or step-mum made dem to alwayx want to keep to themselves... The list goes on but whatever life style suits u, enjoy the kind of life. Besides some trip for u being like dat
Just like you pointed,up-bringing really matters.
Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by waleadex(m): 5:27am On Nov 12, 2013
spicy244: Nice one. I'm actually a shy type. hope it will help М̣̣̥̇ε̲̣̣̣̥
because so many pple av tagged М̣̣̥̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ to be proud.
Just try some of the tips and see the result...
Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by Infomizer(m): 6:16am On Nov 12, 2013
Some people are not shy but just anti-social..And they seem to exhibit similar characters...#justsaying
Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by henryvirus(m): 6:46am On Nov 12, 2013
Seriously? Number 12 z kinda scary....can't bear it. I'ld try ur suggestions.....i'm being labelled as proud n antisocial. Thanks alot.
Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by Wizdray: 6:51am On Nov 12, 2013
Infomizer: Some people are not shy but just anti-social..And they seem to exhibit similar characters...#justsaying
Yeah, you're right. S0me are just anti social as you stated, s0me may even find it difficult to speak in public...some just lack self confidence and they are n0t shy at all
Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by Qbaba(m): 11:37am On Nov 12, 2013
Now I am going to show this piece to someone close to me.This should work for her.Meanwhile,I await patiently to see a piece like this that will talk on ANGER MANAGEMENT cus ......#lips sealed#

1 Like

Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by jaryeh(m): 12:05pm On Nov 12, 2013
Nice write-up! May God help me.

And Mr Seun
Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by Qbaba(m): 1:36pm On Nov 14, 2013
I actually hoped this was going to make FP. A lot of people may need it though.
Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by Emmyk(m): 1:46pm On Nov 14, 2013
Qbaba: Now I am going to show this piece to someone close to me.This should work for her.Meanwhile,I await patiently to see a piece like this that will talk on ANGER MANAGEMENT cus ......#lips sealed#

You remind me of that movie. smiley
Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by waleadex(m): 5:20pm On Nov 14, 2013
Emmyk:

You remind me of that movie. smiley
To be honest, I did know there's a movie with that title.
Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by Idrismusty97(m): 11:36pm On Nov 14, 2013
Although i no read everything but this will make Frontpage in

I will come back to remind you allgrin
Re: Useful Tips That Can Help Conquer Shyness. by waleadex(m): 5:06pm On Dec 22, 2014
Idrismusty97:
Although i no read everything but this will make Frontpage in

I will come back to remind you allgrin
I'm sure you're surprised it has not made it to front page...

(1) (Reply)

Japheth Omojuwa Proposes To His Girlfriend Damilola / The Largest Gathering Of Zombies. (photos) / "Hilary Cliton Has Inspire Me To Run For President" - Dame Patience Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.