Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,109 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? (1288 Views)

5 Real Life Soldiers Who Make Rambo Look Like A Sissy / Suggest Ways One Can Leave Cultism Without Being Hurt / NCC Ban,which Promo/bonus Will Hurt You Most? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by Gamine(f): 2:14pm On Jul 15, 2008
Just wondering.

i hear many people miss out on things like jobs,
great prospects

due to

pictures posted on facebook for example

and comments posted on some forums
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by HRhotness(f): 2:18pm On Jul 15, 2008
Thats why I hav no persona, too much effort and I really cant be bothered.

not staying true to urself can be harmful in more ways than many people realise
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by Gamine(f): 2:52pm On Jul 15, 2008
You think you have no persona
u'd be surprised who'd find you out.

Anyways, we owe no man anything, only ourselves
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by HRhotness(f): 2:55pm On Jul 15, 2008
nothin to find out, i can stand by everything i post. . . dont u think its a waste of time not to post what u really think? I do and I really cant be bothered making shit up just for d fun of it. . . . pointless!
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by Gamine(f): 2:57pm On Jul 15, 2008
Exactly.

Thats what is putting people in trouble

im not saying one shouldnt post what they really feel

but being subtle may be safer.
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by Moyola(f): 2:59pm On Jul 15, 2008
Gamine:

Exactly.

Thats what is putting people in trouble

im not saying one shouldnt post what they really feel

but being subtle may be safer.

Yeah,
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by iice(f): 2:27am On Jul 17, 2008
Nope. My online persona is very similar to the person i am with few adjustments, like am colder in real life grin grin
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by Queenisha: 2:37am On Jul 17, 2008
no way my online life stops online and my real life is not affected in any shape or form
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by doyin13(m): 2:40am On Jul 17, 2008
I be crase man online and a pure gentleman in real life.
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by Gamine(f): 9:56am On Jul 17, 2008
Indeed.

But you wont be able to explain that to ur intending boss
or your intending Spouse.
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by Mustay(m): 10:42am On Jul 17, 2008
doyin13:

I be crase man online and a pure gentleman in real life.

why you dey steal ma flow tongue grin
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by chistiana(f): 11:13am On Jul 17, 2008
am the nasty + Flirty + Insultive type wen am online all in d name of fun.
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by Gamine(f): 12:33pm On Jul 17, 2008
All in the name of fun.

When you are found out, it wont be funny.
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by chistiana(f): 2:32pm On Jul 17, 2008
It will be funny grin grin grin grin
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 17, 2008
My Goodness, this kind of thing happened to one art teacher in my school.

A few students got through to her facebook where there were 'unprofessional' pictures of her in certain positions, she was drunkĀ  lipsrsealed

The students then printed out these pictures and stuck them all over the art department in school.

She was sacked.
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by fotodaddy: 3:06pm On Jul 17, 2008
People think that being online is like the lights are out and no one can see you. Or you are in a city where no one knows you. Then they go nuclear and drop theri guards. Then shit happens!!

If you know say e no mean, why wont you post your real names, your real pictures etc Cos you guys got something to hide.

If there's nothing to hide, then show yourself and take it as it is.

@poster,
I recently was interviewing and saw someone whom I had noticed here on NL. I can tell you that that person was exactly who she was in real life as in online. She had nothing to hide and the only thing that came out of it all was the fact that this person was true. No negatives at all. However, if I had found her to be different from her online persona, am sure I'd have been negatively biased.
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by Gamine(f): 4:17pm On Jul 17, 2008
Abi ooh.

if theres nothing to hide

Come out now!!!!!!!

lol

@Ibkaye,

Facebook , chai! see wahala
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by AnthonyKil(m): 9:19am On Jul 18, 2008
I'm always the Hottie to da ladies no matter where I go. grin
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by chistiana(f): 9:47am On Jul 18, 2008
been nasty doesn't mean i ve something to hide.
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by Mustay(m): 9:48am On Jul 18, 2008
Gamine na so abi? Dey whine yourself dere.
Why must i put ma real name? Some of us live different lives online and offline. If those teacher's pics were not posted on d net, would they sack her? Being drunk there doesn't mean she z bad
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by spikedcylinder: 10:38am On Jul 18, 2008
ibkaye:

My Goodness, this kind of thing happened to one art teacher in my school.

A few students got through to her facebook where there were 'unprofessional' pictures of her in certain positions, she was drunk lipsrsealed

The students then printed out these pictures and stuck them all over the art department in school.

She was sacked.

Oh my! That is really horrible! So she was sacked because she has a social life?
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by fotodaddy: 10:45pm On Jul 18, 2008
spikedcylinder:

Oh my! That is really horrible! So she was sacked because she has a social life?

Welcome to the real world!!!

A teacher is supposed to be a role model. What kind of role model would you like to have to teach your children A teacher who is meek and mild in the class room and a wild drunk after school?? I sure wouldnt want that kind of teacher for my child. You cannot live two different lives without them both being affected by each other my dear!!!

Sorry but with freedom comes responsibility. Handle your freedom responsibly!!! cheesy
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by Gamine(f): 8:27pm On Jul 19, 2008
Abi oooh
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by iice(f): 6:30am On Jul 20, 2008
Some people are soo one dimensional. Too many facets hence lots of persona not schizo grin
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by fotodaddy: 8:00am On Jul 20, 2008
iice:

Some people are soo one dimensional. Too many facets hence lots of persona not schizo grin

There are words for the multi-faceted folks; Lacking in character, unstable, no values, schizo, etc!!! But you knew that already!! wink
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by iice(f): 10:30am On Jul 20, 2008
anonymity gives some a sense of power, courage even undecided
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by HRhotness(f): 12:26pm On Jul 20, 2008
iice:

anonymity gives some a sense of power, courage even undecided

. . . and others an excuse to act like brainless twats!

with the way the world is these days, it is extremely difficult to attain true anonymity. people need to learn that!
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by iice(f): 5:37pm On Jul 20, 2008
HR.hotness:

with the way the world is these days, it is extremely difficult to attain true anonymity. people need to learn that!

Very true.
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by fotodaddy: 8:21pm On Jul 20, 2008
HR.hotness:

Hear!! Hear!!!

Hey hottest, whats up?? Been waiting for your call!! How far na?? wink
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by HRhotness(f): 8:23pm On Jul 20, 2008
fotodaddy:

Hear!! Hear!!!

Hey hottest, whats up?? Been waiting for your call!! How far na?? wink

Honey i still dey here oh. . . trip was postponed!
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by fotodaddy: 11:33am On Jul 21, 2008
HR.hotness:

Honey i still dey here oh. . . trip was postponed!

eya!! Abeg let me know the status na!!
Re: Has Your Online Persona Hurt You In Real Life? by Gamine(f): 11:46am On Jul 21, 2008
eh wink undecided lipsrsealed

Online persona at work

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hey Everyone. / Nafdac Aptitude Test / Why Am I Addicted To Facebook?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.