Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,106 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:38 AM

Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures (17042 Views)

See The Beautiful Cake My Mom And I Baked And Designed / Funny Cake My Little Daugther Made(picture) / Rum Drinks In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:03am On Nov 12, 2013
Christmas is just around the corner and I usually get loads of orders for my special rum cake and I will like to share it with you all.

This recipe is for a 10" square cake

Ingredients

10 medium eggs
500g soft brown sugar
500g butter
500g flour
lemon peel
1tsp bicarbonate, baking powder and salt
500g rum /fruit mixture (mixture of dried fruits raisins minced and soaked in rum, sherry, mixed spice, cinnamon brown sugar for at least 6 months) the longer the better the flavour.
10" lined cake tin
spatula
mixer (can also be hand mixed)

1 Like

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:12am On Nov 12, 2013
having trouble loading pics - need to resize..

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:21am On Nov 12, 2013
place sugar and butter in mixing bowl.

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:22am On Nov 12, 2013
and mix together

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:29am On Nov 12, 2013
mix until creamy

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:30am On Nov 12, 2013
break eggs into a bowl and mix

1 Like

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:32am On Nov 12, 2013
gradually pour into the mixture

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:37am On Nov 12, 2013
blend mixture until creamy, sieve flour, baking power, soda and salt together and gently in pour in mixture.

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:38am On Nov 12, 2013
more

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:39am On Nov 12, 2013
gradually alternate flour and rum mixture

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:45am On Nov 12, 2013
and blend in gently

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:50am On Nov 12, 2013
pour in lined cake tin and place in centre shelf in Oven

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:52am On Nov 12, 2013
bake for 2hours on 180 gas mark. and leave to cool completely before removing from tin.

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by GentleMimi: 10:53am On Nov 12, 2013
But ur post aint complete na!
Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by GentleMimi: 10:54am On Nov 12, 2013
....okay,i can see u're updating.Do so sharp sharp.I love baking!
Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:54am On Nov 12, 2013
GentleMimi: But ur post aint complete na!

Please be patient, I have to resize pictures and I'm still loading.
Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:58am On Nov 12, 2013
GentleMimi: ....okay,i can see u're updating.Do so sharp sharp.I love baking!

lol.... I know the feeling.

I will do a separate tutorial on how to make the rum mixture.
Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by GentleMimi: 11:08am On Nov 12, 2013
Does it mean i hv to soak the fruits for a MONTH? I soak mine for abt 1-2 weeks before baking,and then bask the cake with brush and rum after baking...or what do u think?
Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 11:40am On Nov 12, 2013
GentleMimi: Does it mean i hv to soak the fruits for a MONTH? I soak mine for abt 1-2 weeks before baking,and then bask the cake with brush and rum after baking...or what do u think?

@ gentlemimi There are different kinds of rum cake. This is how I have been baking mine for years. You can even soak fruits for a year. All I can say is that the longer the soak the more flavour you get in the cake. The difference is in the taste.
Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 11:47am On Nov 12, 2013
Once cake is completely cooled, pierce with a fork and pour in rum. I am using coconut flavoured white rum. You can even use Sherry, dark rum etc.

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 11:50am On Nov 12, 2013
after soaking you wrap cake up properly and keep in a dark dry place.

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 11:54am On Nov 12, 2013
You can bring it out every 5-7 days and re-soak with rum until you are ready to decorate it. The longer you leave it to mature the more flavour you get.

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 11:56am On Nov 12, 2013
More pictures of the decorated cakes can be found on our website. www.marylandcakes.co.uk

1 Like

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by dasparrow: 2:37pm On Nov 12, 2013
marylandcakes: You can bring it out every 5-7 days and re-soak with rum until you are ready to decorate it. The longer you leave it to mature the more flavour you get.

Very nice. Well done!
Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by GentleMimi: 4:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
lovely! But pls i need a help with the fruits.I'm considering making my own citrus candied peel.Can u pls help me out.What we find here in Naija are packed mixtures of fruits...but i need to make smfin diff for xmas
Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 6:56pm On Nov 12, 2013
GentleMimi: lovely! But pls i need a help with the fruits.I'm considering making my own citrus candied peel.Can u pls help me out.What we find here in Naija are packed mixtures of fruits...but i need to make smfin diff for xmas

You will need the peel of orange, lemon clementines and tangerine. Boil this with a stick of cinnamon, a tbsp of nutmeg and mixedsweet spice. Add brown soft sugar or black treacle. You can add a bit of lemon juice. Once all the liquid is dried out.(please do not let it burn or it will be bitter). Pour in orange liqueur and pour in an air tight container leave it for at least 3 weeks you can keep toping it up. Because you want a citrus flavour you stick to citrus friuts. If you were after a mixed flavour then you can add other dried fruits like dates, prunes, saltanas, raisins, cranberry etc..

Hope this helps? Goodluck
Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by GentleMimi: 8:41pm On Nov 12, 2013
[quote author=marylandcakes]

You will need the peel of orange, lemon clementines and tangerine. Boil this with a stick of cinnamon, a tbsp of nutmeg and mixedsweet spice. Add brown soft sugar or black treacle. You can add a bit of lemon juice. Once all the liquid is dried out.(please do not let it burn or it will be bitter). Pour in orange liqueur and pour in an air tight container leave it for at least 3 weeks you can keep toping it up. Because you want a citrus flavour you stick to citrus friuts. If you were after a mixed flavour then you can add other dried fruits like dates, prunes, saltanas, raisins, cranberry etc..

Hope this helps? Goodluck
Thanks dear.But clear up smfin for me,Do i boil the peel wif water...or is it just lemon juice and treacle serving as fluid? Also,cinnamon stick is not here in Naija..so can i use the ground powder? Finally,in the absence of orange liquor,can i use orange juice? Thanks for ur help,i appreciate it!
Oooops! I gotta modify.I need the recipe for the fruits..like quantity in grams or pounds.tienks.
Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 9:37pm On Nov 12, 2013
[quote author=GentleMimi][/quote]

The measurements should be 250g for each peel and yes you can use ground cinnamon. The Orange liqueur is a spirit and acts as a preservative like any other alcohol. so it can only be substituted for a different spirit like rum, sherry, brandy. But then you will loose the concentrated citrus flavour you are trying to acheive.
Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by GentleMimi: 9:52pm On Nov 12, 2013
marylandcakes:

The measurements should be 250g for each peel and yes you can use ground cinnamon. The Orange liqueur is a spirit and acts as a preservative like any other alcohol. so it can only be substituted for a different spirit like rum, sherry, brandy. But then you will loose the concentrated citrus flavour you are trying to acheive.
Thanks dear.Looking forward to ur posts and recipes

1 Like

Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 9:57pm On Nov 12, 2013
GentleMimi:
Thanks dear.Looking forward to ur posts and recipes
You are most welcome, please let us know how you get on.
Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by PrettyCindy(f): 1:49pm On Nov 14, 2013
Hi Ruby, pls help me with recipe for Red velvet cake. The colour of my cake seperated into red and brown. His do i avoid this next time?

I used liquid food colour.
Re: Tutorial On How To Make Rum Cake My Way With Pictures by marylandcakes: 10:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
Did you include cocoa powder in your recipe, if yes how much? What kind of vinegar did you use? I will post a recipe for you shortly.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where To Buy Peppery, Tasty And Crunchy Kuli Kuli In Lagos State Nigeria / How To Prepare Cocoyam And Wateryam Porridge (ekpang Nkukwo) Pics & Video / How To Make Hibiscus Drink (zobo) - Pics And Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.