Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months (7362 Views)

Commercial Bus Catches Fire On Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos (photos) / All Airports In Nigeria Will Be Shut Sunday Midnight - Aviation Unions / Government Truck Falls Off Near Third Mainland Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by fatherab1: 6:02pm On Jul 16, 2008
Third Mainland Bridge to be shut for two months
By Rasheed Bisiriyu and Olalekan Adetayo of PUNCH NEWSPAPER
Published: Wednesday, 16 Jul 2008

Lagos motorists and commuters will, from Friday, experience major traffic difficulties on the Third Mainland Bridge and around Lagos metropolis as the Federal Government shuts a part of the bridge by midnight on Thursday (tomorrow) to allow for unimpeded repair work.

The failed portion of Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos

The closure of the 11.8- kilometre bridge is expected to last till September 6.

During the period, traffic from the Oworonshoki end of the bridge will be diverted at the Adekunle Junction to the out-bound lanes, which would be closed between 5am and 12 noon daily.

This means that motorists leaving the Lagos Island will have to find alternative routes during that period.

However, as from 1pm daily, the bridge will be re-opened to Oworonshoki-bound traffic. But it will be closed to traffic from Oworonshoki which will be diverted to Herbert Macaulay Road/Ebute Meta.

It was learnt that on Saturday, the bridge, from Adekunle end to Adeniji Adele end, will be practically demolished for reconstruction.

The Federal Controller of Works for Lagos, Mr. Tunde Ekunsumi, who spoke with our correspondents on Tuesday, confirmed that the bridge would be closed from the Adeniji-Adele end.

“There would be adequate signs, adequate light, we have instructed the contractor that throughout the night, 6pm to 6am, everyday, there should be light on this bridge,” he said.

He said that traffic officers from the Federal Road Safety Commission, the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority and the traffic police would be drafted to ensure orderly vehicular movement.

The controller urged motorists going in and out of Lagos Island to seek alternative routes to the bridge in order to avoid the expected chaotic traffic situation.

He said that those coming from Ikeja and Ojota, for instance, could make use of the Ikorodu/Western Avenue (now Funsho Williams Avenue) Road or Apapa-Oworoshoki Road.

In the last two years, construction experts had raised the alarm that the bridge had developed structural problems.

Some of the faults observed by the experts include uneven pavement surface and the shifted positions of the pillars on which the bridge rests.

Rehabilitation work began a few weeks ago on the failed sections of the 18-year old bridge following reports of extensive vibration.

Lagosians had expressed fears that the bridge could collapse, which prompted government to invite experts to investigate the vibrations.

They reported that the expansion joints between piers axis 13 and 14 had suffered considerable damage due to lack of maintenance, which also affected the expansion joints between axis 19 and 20.

Although the government said it had made adequate arrangements for effective traffic control during the period of repair, it urged those going in and out of Lagos Island to use alternative routes.

The Minister of Transportation, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, last month led a group of government officials to inspect work on the bridge after a similar visit by the Senate Committee on Works.

At the inspection, she had said, ”We are putting a gangway to enable vehicles to transit to the other carriageway and that will go until we get to the end of the bridge before you transit back into the Lagos-bound lanes.”

The minister, who sought the understanding of road users, also solicited the cooperation of the Lagos State Government during a meeting with the state governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, on the project.

The Lagos Sector Commander, FRSC, Mr. Kayode Olagunju, said in a telephone interview with our correspondent that road marshals had been mobilised for traffic control during the period of repair.

He said, “We are doing our best to minimise the pain. We are also aware that there could be a spill-over effect on other auxiliary roads.”

Olagunju, who confirmed that FRSC had been part of stakeholders‘ meetings that held in Lagos on the issue, added that the commission would review its strategies one week after the closure.

When contacted on the telephone on Tuesday, the Police Public Relations Officer, Lagos State Police Command, Mr. Frank Mba, said the command was aware of the development.

Mba, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, said although the command was not envisaging any problem, he added that traffic policemen would be stationed at strategic locations so that members of the public could be rightly guided.

He said, ”The exercise is for the common good of all of us. The government is desirous of the safety of lives on the bridge, hence the repair works. Since it is not a natural disaster, we do not expect any problem.

”We are expecting that the state government will announce alternative routes for road users. In that case, we shall collaborate with other relevant government agencies to ensure that Lagosians are guided.”

The contract for the repair was awarded late 2007 at the cost of N745m for a period of five months.

The restoration project is coming about four years after the Lagos State branch of the Nigerian Society of Engineers had alerted that the bridge was vibrating and this prompted a team of foreign engineers to investigate it for a month.

Constructed in 1990 by Julius Berger Plc, the bridge, which is considered the longest in Africa, was inaugurated by the President Ibrahim Babangida administration.
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20080716151468
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by fatherab1: 6:05pm On Jul 16, 2008
I feel strongly for the hundreds of thousands of workers that will pass through 'hell' to get to work within this period. God is your strengths sha . sad sad
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by fatherab1: 6:09pm On Jul 16, 2008
IT IS FOR THE GOOD OF NIGERIA AND LAGOS IN PARTICULAR.

COME TO THINK OF IT, LAGOS DESERVES A 4TH MAINLAND BRIDGE.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Mustay(m): 6:12pm On Jul 16, 2008
Oh my lyricals- I thot 'twas next week embarassed
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by bibiking1(m): 7:06pm On Jul 16, 2008
these are days when i relish not working i Lagos!!!!!!!!!!!

i can imagine the torture and pain people who work on the island and live on the mainland would face getting home evryday.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by deor03(m): 7:40pm On Jul 16, 2008
I pray they stay within the time-frame.

Nothing more than 8 weeks
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jul 16, 2008
deor03:

I pray they stay within the time-frame.

Nothing more than 8 weeks

beans!!!!!

ph airport was supposed to be -what was it- three months and it stretched to was it 9 months ?
we'll be lucky if the bridge is opened by then end of 2008 undecided
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by ayinba1(f): 8:35pm On Jul 16, 2008
I am confident that the guv will deliver. It is a shortterm inconvenience. We have construction here all summerlong yearly.
It needs to be done.

Good job
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jul 16, 2008
Synonymous to bringing Lagos crumbling down.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by xheggs(m): 11:07pm On Jul 16, 2008
father ab:

IT IS FOR THE GOOD OF NIGERIA AND LAGOS IN PARTICULAR.

COME TO THINK OF IT, LAGOS DESERVES A 4TH MAINLAND BRIDGE.

There is 4th mainland bridge under construction around Ikorodu side,
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by etio(m): 11:21pm On Jul 16, 2008
I can imagine the agony of lagosians who work on the island and live on the mainland. Before this renovation work, the traffic situation was hectic, how much more now that the road would be closed. I think we all should learn from this and imbibe the periodic maintenance culture.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by arogbowei: 11:41pm On Jul 16, 2008
The timing of the shut down/ maintenance of the bridge is poor. We commend government for attempting to imbibe maintenance culture, but once again, one can sense the lack of readiness. Check what happened on Tuesday with just one major downpour, we all woke up with no where to put our legs/vehicle, Lagos was one big gridlock. Now add this nightmare called 3rd Mainland maintainance, what do you get? Did i hear your response?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by CH3COO(m): 11:45pm On Jul 16, 2008
this is good news. with all the wear and tear inflicted on it by nigerian motorists I'm surprised it is still standing.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Radiant(f): 12:02am On Jul 17, 2008
All that should be hoped for is that they do a very good job.

Can't even imagine what Lagos will be like in this period. Phew!!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by BlackChap: 1:56am On Jul 17, 2008
It is good to know that someone finally remembered that bridge! Initially, the bridge was meant to last 10years whilst they construct a bigger bridge to ease the traffic on that bridge. My problem with these guys is that when will they ever stop their fire brigade approach to everything A one year notice with several reminders would have been sufficient and I am sure all commuters will understand and even appreciate the govt.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by kronkykay(m): 5:19am On Jul 17, 2008
The stress is going to be hellish

Gawd! I just dont wanna imagine this. . . . .i better get outta town before this happens

*packing my bags*
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Tolulop001(f): 5:39am On Jul 17, 2008
na wah o, i cant even imajin how its gonna be,
longer notice would have been in order, even with al that there is no guarante tat a good job woulld be done
tis just rubbish cuz its obviously going to take forever to complete a half baked job.
what is goin on in Yaba is just ridiculous, they've been at that road for close to 1 year, no results
we can only hope they would be speedy, if not we 'manage' as Nigerians are used to doin,
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Jakumo(m): 6:35am On Jul 17, 2008
I wonder if the 2-month time-frame estimated for repair of the bridge is measured in real time or in African Time.

Time will tell.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by auntybinta: 7:09am On Jul 17, 2008
It probably will, because it's a major bridge. see, the bad thing about bridges is that now people will have to be taking other roads and cause more hold up than there should be.

Na Lagos o!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Emperoh(m): 7:14am On Jul 17, 2008
Better a 2 months stress than an unending stress.

Its better for us to get it done now.
Try imagine the deathe and the attendant stress and disturbance that will occur should it be left to collapse
Moreover, no time would have been best to reconstruct it. The worst would have been the december period
But thank God they thought well.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by CH3COO(m): 7:17am On Jul 17, 2008
two months too little. 6 months of repair work would be an even better deal.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by seun001(m): 7:40am On Jul 17, 2008
its not gonna be a small thingy oh,the hold up will be, not to talk of the spill over, chei!!i pity my people oh
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by delegiwa(m): 8:02am On Jul 17, 2008
BlackChap:

A one year notice with several reminders would have been sufficient and I am sure all commuters will understand and even appreciate the govt.

, Only in Naija,
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by leggyleggy(f): 8:06am On Jul 17, 2008
the traffic will be killing but nigerians will find a way around it o! we always do, thats why we have been voted the happiest people on earth even after the unbearable situations that we face on a day to day basis
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Geezle(m): 8:19am On Jul 17, 2008
How do the Lagos Govt want to manage this situation?

He said that traffic officers from the Federal Road Safety Commission, the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority and the traffic police would be drafted to ensure orderly vehicular movement.

The controller urged motorists going in and out of Lagos Island to seek alternative routes to the bridge in order to avoid the expected chaotic traffic situation.

He said that those coming from Ikeja and Ojota, for instance, could make use of the Ikorodu/Western Avenue (now Funsho Williams Avenue) Road or Apapa-Oworoshoki Road.

For me o!, Let them force everybody to keep their FREAKING cars at home and use a BRT bus to get to the Island. If the people can afford it, let them keep two cars: one on the Island and one on the Mainland. The BRT will shuttle from a particular point into the Island to a particular point in the Mainland. I believe this will cut down on traffic, that is if the buses are running at 85% potential.

At least that should ease movements especially during the rush hours,
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Mustay(m): 8:27am On Jul 17, 2008
BlackChap:

A one year notice with several reminders would have been sufficient and I am sure all commuters will understand and even appreciate the govt.

If the bridge collapses before the year runs out, you'll still blame the FG.

Let them do what they have to now
Jakumo:

I wonder if the 2-month time-frame estimated for repair of the bridge is measured in real time or in African Time.

Time will tell.

The minister has expressed FEARS that the project might end in October!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by BangBang2(m): 8:40am On Jul 17, 2008
@Post

This is very good
Traffic would become more chaotic, but better to put safety first!!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by rasputinn(m): 8:46am On Jul 17, 2008
As a civil engineer,I completely appreciate the need or a rehabilitation of the bridge because I stopped over on one of the days when the inspection team from the fed min of works came to assess the damage.You could see most of the piers had shifted as well as the expansion joints(most of which now have gaping spaces far more than the allowed provision),not to talk of the undulating nature of the surface within some sections of the bridge.

However,I don't think enough has been done to create alternative routes to which the traffic could be diverted,whilst the repair lasts

To me,the delay in doing the above has now resulted in putting the cart before the horse
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by SENATORJD(m): 9:01am On Jul 17, 2008
rasputinn:

However,I don't think enough has been done to create alternative routes to which the traffic could be diverted,whilst the repair lasts
well rasputinn the issue is that presently in lagos there are not so many alternatives after 3rd mainland bridge is removed.
to link island now u'd have to go either through Apapa or go through surulere route which is a bit longer for those staying anywhere after mile 2 side.
but whichever way i guess lagosians would just have to adapt to the stress and changes for the period.
just like when the road expansion on ozumbadiwe-lekki road was been done it was higly inconveniencing going through that route the times i did.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Scopium: 9:11am On Jul 17, 2008
[size=13pt]That's like passing through hell to get to heaven[/size]
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Mustay(m): 9:14am On Jul 17, 2008
Lagos opposes closure of Third Mainland Bridge

Stakeholders held a meeting on Wednesday on the proposed closure of the Third Mainland Bridge for repair works schedued to begin on Thursday(today).

It was learnt that the Lagos State Government objected to the closure of the bridge during the meeting to map out ways to ease the traffic chaos that might arise thereafter.

Our correspondents gathered that state government officials told representatives of the Federal Government that the state lacked the resources and infrastructure to deal with the likely traffic crisis that might arise as a result of the planned closure of the bridge.

The Commissioner for Transport, Lagos State, Prof. Bamidele Badejo, confirmed this during a telephone interview with THE PUNCH on Wednesday night.

Badejo said, “There is a committee working with the Federal Ministry of Transportation.

“As at today(Wednesday), we’ve not resolved certain issues and as a result, there is no way the rehabilitation work can commence.

“However, there will be another meeting tomorrow (Thursday). But I can say categorically that the rehabilitation work cannot go on as planned because there are many areas that are still not clear and which must be cleared before work can commence.

“I want to assure you that we are not keeping quiet. LASTMA (Lagos State Traffic Management Authority) is working with them.”

The Federal Controller of Works Lagos, Mr. Tunde Ekunsunmi, also confirmed that there would be a meeting with Governor Babatunde Fashola today.

He said, “When we meet tomorrow (today), we will resolve this; the earlier we get out of it, the better.

He, however, was not categorical about a change in the date of commencement of the repair, saying that that would be decided at today’s meeting.

Ekunsumi said the rains had distrupted plans to repair alternative routes that motorists would have to use in the event of the closure of the bridge.

The controller had told THE PUNCH on Tuesday that the bridge would be partially shut to traffic till September 6 to enable the contractor handling its rehabilitation to carry out the job without any hindrances.

If the bridge is eventually closed, ferry, helicopter and train services may become alternative means of transportation for many people moving in and out of the Lagos Island.

The Chairman, Corporate Messengers Ferry Services, Mr. Akin Akinyemi, said the Lagos State Government might construct emergency jetties where passengers could board ferries on some of the 10 abandoned routes in the state.

The abandoned routes include the Marina-Ikorodu, Marina-Mile 2 and Marina-Aja. Only the Marina-Apapa route is currently operational.

Akinyemi, however, added that the reactivation of the jetties could not be achieved in less than a month.

He also advised that the Marina-Oworoshoki, Oworoshoki-Island and Marina-Mile 2 routes be made operational so that the state could cope with the imminent traffic crises.

Akinyemi said, “The Lagos State Government has agreed to construct some emergency jetties but before the jetties are constructed, some of the terminals have to be dredged and this will take about two weeks. So, a month will be okay to quickly do all the intervention measures.”

He said it was disheartening that Lagosians were yet to appreciate the importance of water transport in the state.

The CMFS chief also disclosed that the two ferry service operators were planning to increase their fares from N50 to N100 per trip due to high cost of diesel.

Ferry services in the state commences at 7am and closes at 6:30pm daily.

Akinyemi explained that within the hours of operations, a ferry usually depart every 30 minutes with a minimum of 100 passengers per trip.

Our correspondents also learnt on Wednesday that the Nigerian Railway Corporation had arranged to increase its number of mass transit trains from six to eight in Lagos.

The Managing Director of the corporation, Mr. Jetson Nwankwo, said the frequencies could be further increased from Iddo to Agbado and Ijoko in Ogun State, depending on demand.

Although he admitted that the company did not have enough locomotive engines, he said that it was prepared to suspend its Lagos-Kano service to boost the Lagos train service during the period that the Third Mainland bridge’s repair would last.

The NRC runs three train services in the morning and three in the evening.While two from Ijoko and Agbado head for Iddo, the third train takes off from Iddo to Agbado.

The morning services begin at 7am and the evening at 4pm.

Nwankwo advised the National Inland Waterways Authority to take advantage of the current situation and reactivate its jetty at Iddo to enable train passengers and other people to connect the ferry at that point to Marina.

The corporation, he added, could revive the extension of the rail track at Iddo to the jetty.

The Railways District Manager for Lagos, Mr. John Dottie, listed the stop stations as Ebute Meta, Yaba, Mushin, Oshodi, Ikeja, Agege and Agbado.

One of the helicopter companies in Lagos has also initiated moves to benefit from the closure of the bridge by commencing “awareness flights” to and from Lagos Island.

The Ground Operations Manager of Caverton Helicopters, Mr. Victor Chibuogwu, said the awareness flights started last week.

Chibuogwu said that the firm, which operates air shuttle services within the Lagos metropolis and adjoining cities has an heliport along Ozumba Mbadiwe Road on Victoria Island.

On the affordability of the fares, he said the company presently charges N27,000 for adults, N18, 200 for children, and N2,000 for infants for two-way flights between the Murtala Mohammed Airport, Ikeja and Victoria Island.

He said although other helicopter operators made use of Caverton’s heliport, the company was prepared for the possible increase in traffic due to the closure of the bridge.

Chibuogwu noted that it would take just seven minutes for its helicopters to fly from Ikeja to the Lagos Island.

OAS Helicopters in Maryland, Lagos, said it provides only charter services.

A charter flight on its eight -passenger helicopter to the Island costs N377,000, including Value Added Tax.

The company assured that it had enough helicopters to accommodate any possible increase in traffic.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Carlosein(m): 9:19am On Jul 17, 2008
Scopium:

[size=13pt]It's like passing through hell to get to heaven[/size]

and that is putting it mildly!

but better now than never.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Uk Drop Box Criteria / Want To Study In Norway? Read This! (info, Discussion And Advice) / USA Travel Port Of Entry Issues...comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.