Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,416 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months (7359 Views)

Commercial Bus Catches Fire On Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos (photos) / All Airports In Nigeria Will Be Shut Sunday Midnight - Aviation Unions / Government Truck Falls Off Near Third Mainland Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by eminemkayc: 1:45pm On Jul 17, 2008
Na me send u to get job for Island.

because u wan pose "err, i work in VI. . ."

abegi, go find job for mainland jare.
SWEET HEART I MEAN NO HARM!! NEVER MEANT TO BE MALICIOUS BUT JUST WANTED You TO NO HOW I FELL BY WRITING OUT MY MIND! HOPE UR NOT AN INVECTIVE-POURING LADY? THAT SPITS LETHAL WORDS ON GUYS? HMM, FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Mustay(m): 2:32pm On Jul 17, 2008
"Lagos bridge is closing down

closing down

closing down

closing down

Lagos bridge is closing down

My dear fellas " tongue
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Echidime(m): 2:55pm On Jul 17, 2008
Better to suffer while the Bridge is been repeard than to lose life, so people should stop complaining,if the Government refuse to repear the Bridge you people will condemn them, now wey their heart is full of compassion for the suffering masses why are some people complaining again?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Mustay(m): 3:41pm On Jul 17, 2008
Echidime:

Better to suffer while the Bridge is been repeard than to lose life, so people should stop complaining,if the Government refuse to repear the Bridge you people will condemn them, now wey their heart is full of compassion for the suffering masses why are some people complaining again?

exactly
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Sammy79(m): 3:45pm On Jul 17, 2008
I think it's just good for the repiars to go on, the poor masses will suffer it now or later.

Its like post-poning the evil-day. The rich elite will always find alternatives but whether its done now or later, the poor populace will bear the whole problem.

Later than never, !!!!!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by landis(m): 3:57pm On Jul 17, 2008
De ja vu.
with no regards to suffering of people, this could take forever.

PDP controls FG, they may want to use this to suffer/blackmail Lagosians to vote for them in 2011.

i dont trust the FG.
grin cheesy grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by fyneguy: 4:08pm On Jul 17, 2008
Chei

I'd better dump my car n take BRT now o
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Sammy79(m): 4:14pm On Jul 17, 2008
no be road BRT go follow abi na water, Surulere, Apapa no bi option, i

t will be hectic,

smiley wink
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Mustay(m): 4:17pm On Jul 17, 2008
landis:

De ja vu.
with no regards to suffering of people, this could take forever.

PDP controls FG, they may want to use this to suffer/blackmail Lagosians to vote for them in 2011.

i don't trust the FG.
grin cheesy grin

ha cool cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by fyneguy: 4:24pm On Jul 17, 2008
Mehn Canoe to the rescue o!

Abeg make we contribute money buy state-of-the-art canoes with life jackets jare.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by rasputinn(m): 4:30pm On Jul 17, 2008
All those talk about "let mainland people stay on the mainland and Island people stay on the Island" is childish hogwash.I live on the Island,have offices both on the island and mainland,three of my main clients are on the mainland,the rest on the island(and from time to time,one business reason or the other will require me to be present in person @ these offices),plus of course the local and international airports are on the mainland.

So how can anybody possibly ask me to stay in either of island or mainland only

Please be serious
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Gamine(f): 4:31pm On Jul 17, 2008
no body dey fight here ooo!

u fit use canoe or helicopter

na as u get the money oooo
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Sammy79(m): 4:37pm On Jul 17, 2008
the repaires have been postponed to next month, first week in August!!!!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 17, 2008
@rasputinn

you have more options than you know

you'll have to be creative about running your business
The repairs will happen whether we like it or not

Consider IT options, conference calling , video calls, webcam, on line chatting any other gizmo technology can find

Admitted the timing is a bit short, but even on this site ALL of us have complained about the NEED to repair the bridge.

By the way that poster has a point, mainland people may just have to stick to the mainland unless they prefer sleeping off in the cars whilst waiting for traffic.

its only for 2 months
people just have to adjust many times change is not convenient.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by ijaygal: 5:41pm On Jul 17, 2008
hmmm, na wa o!!!

For real, i commend the govt for remembering to repair the bridge. lets just have a little patience, even if it means our going thru stress for a while. Ok, check this out, what if there was no arrangement for the bridge to be repaired and on a normal working day in lagos, people are going back to their various destination from work on the island and there is the normal "third mainland bridge is blocked" scenario with cars lined up on a stand still waiting for the traffic to move, all of a sudden the bridge totally collapses!!!
men, the death toll will be, unimaginable!!!! shocked shocked. everyone in lagos one way or the other will be affected!!! either a family memeber or a friend or a neighbour or a colleague or just someone u know along the street will be involved (that is just the truth!!!). so make we cool down make dey repair ram for our own good.

BUT, TRAFFIC GO DEY O, can u imagine all the cars one used to see on a five laned 3rd main land bridge finding their way on an already tight western avenue road with two lanes and God have mercy if just if the type of down pour that happened on tuesday shld repeat itself and a trailer shld break down at same time na "I surrender all" we go dey sing. but really i pray the complete the bridge as at when scheduled.

God dey!!!! nothing dey happen!!!! no be lagos we go survive!!!! worst things don happen b4 and we still dey!!!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Beline(f): 6:10pm On Jul 17, 2008
ijaygal:

hmmm, na wa o!!!

For real, i commend the govt for remembering to repair the bridge. lets just have a little patience, even if it means our going through stress for a while. Ok, check this out, what if there was no arrangement for the bridge to be repaired and on a normal working day in lagos, people are going back to their various destination from work on the island and there is the normal "third mainland bridge is blocked" scenario with cars lined up on a stand still waiting for the traffic to move, all of a sudden the bridge totally collapses!!!
men, the death toll will be, unimaginable!!!! shocked shocked. everyone in lagos one way or the other will be affected!!! either a family memeber or a friend or a neighbour or a colleague or just someone u know along the street will be involved (that is just the truth!!!). so make we cool down make dey repair ram for our own good.

BUT, TRAFFIC GO DEY O, can u imagine all the cars one used to see on a five laned 3rd main land bridge finding their way on an already tight western avenue road with two lanes and God have mercy if just if the type of down pour that happened on tuesday shld repeat itself and a trailer shld break down at same time na "I surrender all" we go dey sing. but really i pray the complete the bridge as at when scheduled.

God dey!!!! nothing dey happen!!!! no be lagos we go survive!!!! worst things don happen before and we still dey!!!

exactly, you have said it all
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by rasputinn(m): 7:02pm On Jul 17, 2008
salsera:

@rasputinn

you have more options than you know

you'll have to be creative about running your business
The repairs will happen whether we like it or not

Consider IT options, conference calling , video calls, webcam, on line chatting any other gizmo technology can find

Admitted the timing is a bit short, but even on this site ALL of us have complained about the NEED to repair the bridge.

By the way that poster has a point, mainland people may just have to stick to the mainland unless they prefer sleeping off in the cars whilst waiting for traffic.

its only for 2 months
people just have to adjust many times change is not convenient.

BREAKING NEWS

The 3rd mainland bridge will no longer be closed today,the closure date has been shifted to Aug 2

The reason given by the Fed min of works is that they needed to use the time to repair and create more alternative routes that would cater for the diverted traffic from 3rd mainland.

I hate to say I told you so,but I toooooooooooold you.

Good to see that reason has prevailed,NOW I'VE BEEN VINDICATED IN MY ARGUMENT
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by 2sleek2NV(m): 9:38pm On Jul 17, 2008
d 1st day of d maintainance wasnt funny, a frnd stayin on d mainland left home @ 6 am and go to d island @ 10:30am.

every body don talk dem mind n e good.
its a gd thing d maintainance has been put on hold to create alternative routes but d alternative routes we are talkin bout is

WESTERN AVE - the trafic that comes frm tha palmgrove end of this road is bad cos of d BRT lane

APAPA - This route is one HELLISH one. u can imagine driving on a BAD 3 lane road that has been reduced to ONE lane cos of the tankers that park on the road and tank farms we have along that road. the commercial area of Apapa is under goin major repair (sumtin like d one that turned marina to wat it is today) d trafic go BLOODY.

some1 suggested the use of technology, that is good but can u guys remember wat happend wit CETEL last friday/saturday when their network was completely down,pple switch to MTN and their network was over conjested GLO was d only managable one reason y all nigerians carry more than one fone
our internet facility in nigeria is so slow so u can imagine.

@ Gemini
U DON 4GET SAY AIRPORT DEY MAINLAND and i knw so u go wan travel go yankee or Jand soon. i knw say u get cash so caverton wuld b ur option

i knw u are tryin to catch ur fun wit ur comment its allowed. But the fact that pple on d mainland work on d island cos of d concentration of business in that place. of most of d organisations in d country, only banks av offices outside v.i that can serve workers on d mainland.
most pple dat work in telecoms company stay on d mainland. u can imagine wat hapens if they dont come to work, 9ja wuld b grounded partialy.

@ all

rail and water is d next option which are not so effective

Rail - wat is d rail network in nigeria like,where dem reach
Water - most nigerian dey fear cos nobody wan die

we cant run frm it, 3rd mainland hs to be repaired and we shld be ready to BEAR WHILE D OFFER LASTS
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by KB1(m): 10:30pm On Jul 17, 2008
I hear that work on the constructing of the 4th Mainland bridge has begun, is this true? undecided I hear JB is doing it and its going to be a suspension bridge with 12 lanes, 6 going each direction. Another one just like it is also being built over the Niger River by Onitsha. It's about time the gov. began investing in that nations infrastructure. Being a construction worker must be like one of the most lucrative job options in the nation at this time with all this work going on all over the nation.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by lawyer(m): 11:42pm On Jul 17, 2008
Walahi, my only problem with this closure of third mainland bridge be say, "HOW I WAN TAKE GO CLUB FOR IKOYI AND V.I NOW?" grin

All those hip joints, Malls and clubs go suffer die because 75% of their clients are from the mainland, o boy, ikeja clubs would experience mega booms now, not forgetting the strip club on Opebi, lol
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Emperoh(m): 7:04am On Jul 18, 2008
Well the stress has just been suspended till August 2
But the faster the better
People go still suffer whether or whethernt it is closed
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by seun001(m): 7:29am On Jul 18, 2008
considering the emergency response time of our agencies,its better to do the repairs oh.and for the first time govt is considering preparing alternative routes instead of the fire brigade approach we are used to.

and trust nigerians,those ferry service people are already thinking of increasing prices in anticipation of more patronage.
and to those advocating banning cars and sticking to brt.i guess u didnt know brt is grossly inadequate,u shoulda noticed the endless queues at the brt bus-stops.

make we buy okada oh or better still water scooters(it aint popular in naija though). grin wink
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 18, 2008
Whatever happened to our legs
We will start Walking to Work, like the days of old.
Come to think of it, Ikeja to VI is not that far if u have friends doing the walk with you,
When u get to work, sleep and get ready for the walk back home.
grin cheesy
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Mustay(m): 9:42am On Jul 18, 2008
Lmao cheesy The ministry ought to have planned all these before declaring a date of closure. So much of Improper planning.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by lexicon(m): 11:23am On Jul 18, 2008
Only God knows when the bridge will be re-open, 'cos for a Nigerian contractor to demand for two months, means it will be X 6 of the requested time, i.e 2X6=12 months, well, Thank God for Gala seller, lol
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by SkyBlue1: 11:35am On Jul 18, 2008
No Plans to Close Third Mainland Bridge
From Patrick Ugeh in Abuja and Efem Nkanga in Lagos, 07.18.2008

Repair works on some loose joints on the highly strategic Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos, will commence on Saturday, August 2, 2008 at noon, and not today as reported.
But the all-important link bridge between Lagos Mainland and the Island, the major business hub of the nation, will not be closed to traffic although vehicular movement will be streamlined.
Mr. John Albertazzi, a representative of the contracting firm, Messrs Borini Prono, revealed this after a stakeholders’ meeting yesterday at the glasshouse office of the Federal Ministry of Transportation, Abuja.
Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Mr. Tunde Ekunsumi, also said that movement on the bridge had been designed to flow effortlessly rather than being closed completely.
Between 12 midnight and 12 noon, only commuters moving into Lagos Island from the Mainland (Oworonsoki axis) would be allowed on the bridge, he said.
“At Adekunle, they will either exit (right) to Ebute Metta or turn left across an open space in the median and then turn right and drive against traffic up to Adeniji Adiele where they can either exit to the Island or move on to Ijora or Obalende, Ikoyi or Victoria Island.
“There will be signs at the exit points of Ikoyi, Obalende, Victoria Island, to advise motorists, who are barred from the bridge, on alternative routes to use during the period,” Ekunsumi said.
According to him, “a reverse movement will take place between 12.30pm and 1pm, when there will be a change, to midnight.
“The Lagos end of the bridge will be opened at this time, and the Mainland end of the bridge will be closed to traffic. There will also be signs to warn motorists on alternative routes to take during the period.”
Yesterday’s meeting was attended by the Special Adviser to Governor Babatunde Fashola on Transportation, Mr. Opeifa Kayode, Managing Director of Lagos Metropolitan Transport Authority (LAMATA), the Federal Road Safety Commission, and the police, among others.
The two-week extension for the commencement of work is to allow for proper sensitisation of Lagosians and of people from outside the state who would need to navigate their way round the anticipated traffic congestion the work would cause.
Also, during the two-week period, Borini Prono is expected to make other roads in Lagos motorable to ensure smooth flow of traffic when repairs eventually begins.
There would be adequate road signs at the project site approaches to direct vehicular movements, adequate lighting along the bridge between 6pm and 6am, and a new 200KVA generator to support FERMA’s 200KVA generator.
Kayode said the Lagos State Government supports the project and had set machinery in motion to ensure smooth flow of traffic, and advised the Ministry of Transportation to leave coordination of transportation to the state.
“We support the repairs of the damaged parts of the Third Mainland Bridge; and not just the Third Mainland Bridge but of all bridges in the country and in Lagos State. We also agree that in a situation of safety time is of essence and we cannot afford to delay beyond the required time. We are also saying that we are determined and we are ready to work with the contractor and the federal authorities and the Controller of Works in Lagos State to make sure that everything will be done during the period of maintenance to make sure that motorists and pedestrians do not suffer,” he said.
He, however, said it was not just Third Mainland Bridge that would be affected by the repair works, but the entire Lagos State, because the work would spill over to Anthony Village clover outlet that controls the entire Lagos traffic.
He said: It will spill over to Oshodi-Apapa road and that could ground the entire Lagos West. This same repairs could spill to the tollgate via Ibadan. It could close or block the entire Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way and the entire Ketu-Ojota down to Ikorodu Town.”
He said the Lagos State government sees the bridge repairs as an effort by the Federal Government to improve the standard of living of the people of Lagos “and we are very happy about that”, but that the repairs should not translate to hardship for the people, hence the request for a two-week extension.
The state government, he said, would join the Federal Government to ensure that the project succeeds and that it had started tinkering with various options for traffic control on the bridge and elsewhere during the period.
He said 100 to 150 buses would be deployed by LAMATA and several others by bus, in order to manage high capacity fleet.
“We have met about five ferry services that can ply the Ikorodu-Oworosoki route to Victoria Island-Obute Ero axis and we are getting some positive responses,” he said.
The government, he said, is looking into an alternate route.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=117162
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by KB1(m): 2:04pm On Jul 18, 2008
This problem is nothing new, the same happens all the time here in the US. They give very insufficient warning of a closing of a main road artery leaving one to wake up one day to mass gridlock. You get a report stating that the project will take 3 month, though will wonder why apparent simple project will take so long to complete, and then the project will end up taking 9 months. They have a major problem here in the US with milking federal road repair projects. The issues you speak of with the government repair projects are no different than what happens here in the US. It's called bureaucracy, and is just the way it goes.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by fyneguy: 4:11pm On Jul 18, 2008
May be swimming is the best alternative, afterall grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by edmondo(m): 4:23pm On Jul 18, 2008
thank God say dey remeba d bridge b4 d tin collaspe
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by steaming(f): 4:29pm On Jul 18, 2008
The shut down now would be on the 2nd of August. More time to prepare yourselves for the chaos.

Eeeyaaa Lagosians pele
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 18, 2008
@rasputinn

? vindication ke
what argument,
maybe you shud reread your own initial post cos that's the post i replied

By the way the repairs WILL still happen, that article just says it will start later than scheduled
Re: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut For Two Months by tmustmk: 9:51pm On Jul 18, 2008
steaming:

The shut down now would be on the 2nd of August. More time to prepare yourselves for the chaos.

Eeeyaaa Lagosians pele

I with you on that one cheesy[list]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

11 Ideas That Can Help You Avoid Traffic Congestion In Nigerian Cities / USA Travel Port Of Entry Issues...comment / How To Work As A Nurse In US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.