Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,393 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

Power Monitor Lite - PC App - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Power Monitor Lite - PC App (1160 Views)

PC App Development Without Code (Windows and Mac) / Bytocal. .newest PC app To Rock 2015 / Linux Battery Monitor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Monitor Lite - PC App by codeaddict(m): 9:53pm On Nov 14, 2013
So, every night, before I sleep, I try to queue some downloads, cos light in my area's kinda stable at night.
Anticipating the inevitability of the electricity supply going off, I created a special power plan that hibernates my pc at a specific percentage level.
Two days ago, I queued some downloads, slept off, only to wake up to find my computer out of juice.
Reason - I dozed off, while watching a movie, and forgot to switch power plans.

Pissed off at this, and finding nothing better to do, wink I decided to write an app to solve my issues. Could be useful to somebody else.
It's hosted on GitHub
It's written in Java, so you'll need Java Runtime Environment. Optimal Graphics with JRE 7.
Here's a direct link to the jar file, for those unable to get it from GitHub.

How It works
=============

There are two sorts of monitors available.
One of the monitors listens for AC Power cable detachment or Power supply interruption.
When this monitor is used, action is triggered only if power goes off, or power supply to the computer is interrupted.

The second monitor triggers action, when the Battery percentage level is below the specified value. Thus it keeps
checking the battery percentage, until battery percentage level is below the specified level, and acts only if
it's lower than that which was specified. This monitor is ineffective when the AC Power Cable is plugged in.
Cos, it's of no use, then, right? ;-)

An interval could be set for when action is performed after requirement has been met.
This means that you could choose to hibernate/shutdown your pc after a specific time has passed from when the action
is triggered. For example, if I decide to specify an interval of 30 seconds, on the AC Power monitor, it means that
when power supply is interrupted, the app will wait for 30 seconds before hibernating or shutting down my pc.

The interval is placed to allow for a situation in which power supply is restored before the interval expires.

Essentially, if power supply is interrupted, and ten seconds into the interval, it's restored back, action (hibernating/
shutting down) is deferred, until power is interrupted again, and then the process of monitoring begins all over.

The selected monitor could be stopped at anytime.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S: My repo's pretty boring, so no peeping. Get the monitor, and leave there! grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Power Monitor Lite - PC App by khayc(m): 12:22am On Jan 11, 2015
Nice one, really awesome, you should work on power management apps for inverters
Re: Power Monitor Lite - PC App by codeaddict(m): 7:07am On Jan 11, 2015
khayc:
Nice one, really awesome, you should work on power management apps for inverters
Sure. But won't that be redundant? Most inverters come with efficient power management systems already.

1 Like

Re: Power Monitor Lite - PC App by khayc(m): 7:43am On Jan 12, 2015
codeaddict:

Sure. But won't that be redundant? Most inverters come with efficient power management systems already.

Naaaa by power management I mean one that's interfaced to the switch board which could be plugged into the home router, so if I'm in a certain room and lights wasting in another I can switch off from anywhere, also the software tells the real time power consumption, exact power exhaustion time and power plans to suggest saving by eliminating appliances that are not needed or shouldn't be running at that time. It's a power feed and control in real time
Re: Power Monitor Lite - PC App by codeaddict(m): 5:25pm On Jan 12, 2015
khayc:

Naaaa by power management I mean one that's interfaced to the switch board which could be plugged into the home router, so if I'm in a certain room and lights wasting in another I can switch off from anywhere, also the software tells the real time power consumption, exact power exhaustion time and power plans to suggest saving by eliminating appliances that are not needed or shouldn't be running at that time. It's a power feed and control in real time
Getting data for stuff like that from inverters is really low-level programming. Not really stuff I dabble in. Might be interested tho, if prospect is high.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Generate a Bar code Using Excel / Please I Need Help On This Question / VISIOLA FOUNDATION Five-week Coding Boot Camp For Girls 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.