Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament (2747 Views)

Reasons Why God Is Not Subject To His Own Laws ! / APPARITION: The Blessed Mother Of God Appeared In Kaduna Today! / 10 Reasons Why God Doesn't Exist Today, Tomorrow And 4ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by plaetton: 1:22am On Nov 18, 2013
TroGunn: The Bible elaborates the reason why nations like Sodom and Gomorrah and some of the Canaanite nations had to be destroyed. They were that debased. Even modern archaeologist are appalled at the depravity of those lands, discovered through excavations.

The Bible also explains that God acts justly. Simple, those destroyed deserved to be destroyed. They deliberately set out to thwart God's plan and paid the price. And like in the case of Sodom, had these cities had good people in them they would have been spared as shown in the dialogue Abraham had with God over sparing Sodom - Genesis 18:16-33.

You can't selective pick Bible verses and discard others - If the Bible says God does not destroy the wicked along with the good and God destroyed the depraved Canaanites, then they deserved it. Nothing wicked there about God - just divine punishment.

And the argument that some how, mindless energy on its own somehow spawned the universe with it precise laws and intricate designs is just dubious "science", bordering on fraud.

It's like a certain John Doe stumbling on fully charged tablet computer in the middle of the desert, and because the designer of the tablet can't be found or explained ( or more accurately all the explanations given is rejected by John), then John decides that the best conclusion is that somehow the tablet evolved from the desert sand. Even though examining the tablet shows just how complex and purposefully designed it is, and it's glaring that it's mathematically impossible to evolve from the sand, John sticks to his dubious idea and peddles it as "fact".

Let's star with your first lie.
Kindly cite and mention the modern archaeologist that are appalled at the depravity of those lands, discovered through excavations.

1 Like

Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Joshthefirst(m): 10:45am On Nov 18, 2013
plaetton:

Kindly cite and mention the modern archaeologist that are appalled at the depravity of those lands, discovered through excavations.
Too bad I didn't see this post earlier.

Here's archaeological evidence showing the depravity in nineveh:

http://www.enduringword.com/commentaries/3403.htm

Even archaeology confirms Gods word.
God passed judgement on wicked nations, and here all o' you guys say he is unjust and terrible. That's just wrong. Its Gods justice.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by MrTroll(m): 10:49am On Nov 18, 2013
Joshthefirst:

God passed judgement on wicked nations, and here all o' you guys say he is unjust and terrible. That's just wrong. Its Gods justice.
grin grin grin
sorry mate.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by plaetton: 4:09pm On Nov 18, 2013
Joshthefirst:

Ha ha ha.
Hilarious.

Another big lie to defend a previous one.
Na wa.

You want to use a slight of hand to defend a lie?
You guys are something else.

Are you genuinely ignorant or deceptive?

Where is your archeological evidence?
Do you know what archeology is?
Do you at all know what evidence is ?

Trugunn posted a lie about his so-called archeological evidence for the depravity of Soddom and Gommorah, wich I pointed out to him as a lie and challenged him to cite and give references for his claim.

Then in defence of that lie, you hastily and deceptively posted links , albeit a religious site, talking about the ancient great of city Niniveh.
That is what is called a slight of hand trick.
I am quite sure that it would work for your Sunday school children. But you are soo intoxicated with your compound ignorance that you often forget that you are not posting for Sunday school children.

The fall of Nineveh was around 610BCE while the biblical destruction of Soddom and Gomorrah would have been about 2600BCE.
So , from a 3000 year difference in the time scale, the two not even geographically close. Nineveh was never a part of the land of Canaan.

How do you guys live with your conscience when you deliberately spin lies in order to propagate your so-called truth?

What type of truth needs battalions of lies to sustain it?

As for the so-called atrocities of the kings of Assyria, in what way are those atrocities greater than the atrocities perpetuated by Joshua against the weaker tribes of ancient Canaan?
In what way were the Assyrian kings more atrocious than Alexander the Great, who cut a long swath of blood throughout middle east and Europe?
In what way were the Assyrian kings more atrocious than the emperors of Imperial Rome, that, during the time of Jesus, Crucified 50,000 Palestinians and fed their corpses to dogs?
In what way were the Assyrian kings more atrocious than Ghenghis Khan whose murderous spree killed hundreds of thousands, perhaps for the insane reason of single handedly fathering an entire nation: the present day Mongolia(about 80% of the population carry his DNA).

In what way did the atrocities of the Kings of Assyria greater than the crimes of Hitler and his Germany that enslaved and gassed 10 million Jews(Yahweh's children) to death?

And what about trans-Atlantic slavery?
Does that count as an atrocity?

You and your god cannot chose which atrocities to ignore and which to punish.

So, it is either your god, once again, shows signs of schizophrenia, or you have the compound problems of ignorance and schizophrenia.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by debosky(m): 8:43pm On Nov 18, 2013
I'm not sure the questions have been answered - why were children for example, who were too young to be culpable for the sins of their parents often killed or enslaved in the OT? Can those acts be described as wicked or not?

If yes, why the change, and if not, why are they considered as not wicked?
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by shdemidemi(m): 9:40am On Nov 19, 2013
^^^Grace will not be grace if there is no display or an introduction to what the wrath of God is. We as humans must realise God does not exist for us, we exist for God...We are not the point God is...

Romans 9:21
21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?

Just as the potter and clay, God hath purposed everything in creation according to His divine and sovereign will. Within our limited sensual capacity, we can say God is wicked. I don't think He would get all emotional about that, the choice of God has always been to elect some to Himself to whom He displays His endless and eternal love and some for destruction.

KA BIE KOSI...unquestionable
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by MrTroll(m): 9:52am On Nov 19, 2013
shdemidemi: ^^^Grace will not be grace if there is no display or an introduction to what the wrath of God is. We as humans must realise God does not exist for us, we exist for God...We are not the point God is...

Romans 9:21
21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?

Just as the potter and clay, God hath purposed everything in creation according to His divine and sovereign will. Within our limited sensual capacity, we can say God is wicked. I don't think He would get all emotional about that, the choice of God has always been to elect some to Himself to whom He displays His endless and eternal love and some for destruction.

KA BIE KOSI...unquestionable
er.... undecided

you didn't answer the question?
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by shdemidemi(m): 10:11am On Nov 19, 2013
Mr Troll: er.... undecided

you didn't answer the question?

What other question sir?
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by MrTroll(m): 10:26am On Nov 19, 2013
shdemidemi:

What other question sir?

debosky: I'm not sure the questions have been answered - why were children for example, who were too young to be culpable for the sins of their parents often killed or enslaved in the OT? Can those acts be described as wicked or not?

If yes, why the change, and if not, why are they considered as not wicked?

Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:44am On Nov 19, 2013
^^ you go wait tire for a direct answer!
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by shdemidemi(m): 11:01am On Nov 19, 2013
Mr Troll:

I believe the answer to your question is embedded in the verse I quoted earlier-

God made everything alive, He says 'death' is beautiful at its own time. You and I as mare mortals don't seem to question God why He did not make us before He made us. But we question why we die or the way we die or the age God had appointed.

To us, death is not very pleasant especially when it concerns kids but the one who made it says “I (The Lord ) bring death and make alive".

I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”[f]

Whomever! Be it a kid, a man or a woman..anyone.

From the Old Testament, we arrive at facts but the New Testament helps us to find explanation to the facts.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by MrTroll(m): 11:08am On Nov 19, 2013
undecided undecided

so it was not wicked?
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Joshthefirst(m): 11:09am On Nov 19, 2013
plaetton:

Ha ha ha.
Hilarious.

Another big lie to defend a previous one.
Na wa.

You want to use a slight of hand to defend a lie?
You guys are something else.

Are you genuinely ignorant or deceptive?

Where is your archeological evidence?
Do you know what archeology is?
Do you at all know what evidence is ?

Trugunn posted a lie about his so-called archeological evidence for the depravity of Soddom and Gommorah, wich I pointed out to him as a lie and challenged him to cite and give references for his claim.

Then in defence of that lie, you hastily and deceptively posted links , albeit a religious site, talking about the ancient great of city Niniveh.
That is what is called a slight of hand trick.
I am quite sure that it would work for your Sunday school children. But you are soo intoxicated with your compound ignorance that you often forget that you are not posting for Sunday school children.

The fall of Nineveh was around 610BCE while the biblical destruction of Soddom and Gomorrah would have been about 2600BCE.
So , from a 3000 year difference in the time scale, the two not even geographically close. Nineveh was never a part of the land of Canaan.

How do you guys live with your conscience when you deliberately spin lies in order to propagate your so-called truth?

What type of truth needs battalions of lies to sustain it?

As for the so-called atrocities of the kings of Assyria, in what way are those atrocities greater than the atrocities perpetuated by Joshua against the weaker tribes of ancient Canaan?
In what way were the Assyrian kings more atrocious than Alexander the Great, who cut a long swath of blood throughout middle east and Europe?
In what way were the Assyrian kings more atrocious than the emperors of Imperial Rome, that, during the time of Jesus, Crucified 50,000 Palestinians and fed their corpses to dogs?
In what way were the Assyrian kings more atrocious than Ghenghis Khan whose murderous spree killed hundreds of thousands, perhaps for the insane reason of single handedly fathering an entire nation: the present day Mongolia(about 80% of the population carry his DNA).

In what way did the atrocities of the Kings of Assyria greater than the crimes of Hitler and his Germany that enslaved and gassed 10 million Jews(Yahweh's children) to death?

And what about trans-Atlantic slavery?
Does that count as an atrocity?

You and your god cannot chose which atrocities to ignore and which to punish.

So, it is either your god, once again, shows signs of schizophrenia, or you have the compound problems of ignorance and schizophrenia.
why do you accuse me of lieing and yet shamelessly lie boldly and foolishly?

You wanted an archaeological description of the depravity of the lands that warranted Gods wrath did you not?

Let me quote your post below for everyone to see you didn't mention sodom and gomorrah.

plaetton:

I've given you evidence. The bible also contains evidence of the treacherous things the nations that God judged did that warranted his judgement.

The difference between us and them and the reason we have not yet seen Gods judgement is because God has set a particular period for judgement of the earth in these last days, foretold in Revelation. We're here as the prophetic warning party, pleading with men to repent of their sins, pleading with men to stop abortion and abomination. Pleading with men to be reconciled to God through Jesus Christ, just like the prophets of old did.

We speak everywhere; escape the wrath to come.

God will effectively deal with the unrepentant when time runs out for them as it did for the nations of old. Like the time of noah, who preached of the coming wrath and judgement of flood, we preach boldly, some listen, others don't. The world continues to frolick in abominations, everything seems to be going on like before, people marrying and giving in marriage, but judgement will come suddenly upon the unrepentant and unbelieving, not by our hands, but by the hands of God almighty himself.

We speak now as they spoke then:

Escape the wrath to come

Embrace Jesus Christ and have your sins forgiven.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by shdemidemi(m): 11:17am On Nov 19, 2013
Mr Troll: undecided undecided

so it was not wicked?

See, the same Red Sea that killed so many Egyptians also saved many. To the children of Israel it was good but to the Egyptians it wasn't and to God it was beautiful because He took the glory.

Example- to me chicken is so nice when grilled, but in the land of the chickens I don't think I will be very popular.

It all depends on your view point. The truth is that we are here today but gone tomorrow, be it as children or aged but the earth remains forever.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 19, 2013
plaetton:

The following are excepts, largely from the write-up on excavated Ugarit or Ras Sharma ( part of ancient Canaan) discovered texts - http://www.apologeticspress.org/rr/reprints/Ras-Shamra.pdf

“Funerary jars have been found with the bodies of young children distorted by suffocation as they strug-
gled for life after having been buried alive as a sacrifice to Canaanite gods” (Wilson, Clifford (1973), That Incredible Book—The Bible, p. 85).

“from numerous biblical and Roman allusions we know that child sacrifice was occasionally practiced,
the story of the Moabite king, Mesha (2 Kings 3:27) immediately coming to mind” (Wright, G. Ernest (1962), Biblical Archaeology , p. 112)

From Ras Shamra it was discovered that “sacred prostitution, both male and female, was exceedingly
common, practiced in the name of religion at the various centers of worship. Fertility as a goddess actu-
ally became a sacred prostitute, who, curiously enough, was called ‘the Holy One’” (Wright, G. Ernest (1962), Biblical Archaeology , p. 113).

Archaeologist Roland de Vaux is said to have written: “On reading these poems (Ras Sharma texts) , one understands the repulsion that true believers in Yahwism and the great prophets felt for this worship.”

Archaeologist Cyrus Gordon, is also says on Baal's copulation with a heifer, “If it be argued that Baal assumes the shape of a bull for the act, the same cannot be said for his priests who re-enacted his mythological career.” (The Mosaic Law clearly forbade bestiality, apparently common among their neighbours - Leviticus 18:23)

Besides evidence of possible child sacrifices were found in Carthage, known to be descent of Canaanites (also worshipping Baal). This one is well documented.

It's always been the case with the Bible - people would question the Bible's historical claims , only to eat their words when archaeology shows the Bible to be true.

It was the case in the Bible's account of Cyrus conquering Babylon, until the Nabonidus Chronicle show the Bible records to be accurate.

Or the Lachish Letters , or others listed here -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artifacts_significant_to_the_Bible

Or some of the more recent ones as http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/135432#.UouXEZt3vX4

If the Bible says some of these Canaanites were deep in depravity, then they most certainly were.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Joshthefirst(m): 6:31pm On Nov 19, 2013
TroGunn:

The following are excepts, largely from the write-up on excavated Ugarit or Ras Sharma ( part of ancient Canaan) discovered texts - http://www.apologeticspress.org/rr/reprints/Ras-Shamra.pdf

“Funerary jars have been found with the bodies of young children distorted by suffocation as they strug-
gled for life after having been buried alive as a sacrifice to Canaanite gods” (Wilson, Clifford (1973), That Incredible Book—The Bible, p. 85).

“from numerous biblical and Roman allusions we know that child sacrifice was occasionally practiced,
the story of the Moabite king, Mesha (2 Kings 3:27) immediately coming to mind” (Wright, G. Ernest (1962), Biblical Archaeology , p. 112)

From Ras Shamra it was discovered that “sacred prostitution, both male and female, was exceedingly
common, practiced in the name of religion at the various centers of worship. Fertility as a goddess actu-
ally became a sacred prostitute, who, curiously enough, was called ‘the Holy One’” (Wright, G. Ernest (1962), Biblical Archaeology , p. 113).

Archaeologist Roland de Vaux is said to have written: “On reading these poems (Ras Sharma texts) , one understands the repulsion that true believers in Yahwism and the great prophets felt for this worship.”

Archaeologist Cyrus Gordon, is also says on Baal's copulation with a heifer, “If it be argued that Baal assumes the shape of a bull for the act, the same cannot be said for his priests who re-enacted his mythological career.” (The Mosaic Law clearly forbade bestiality, apparently common among their neighbours - Leviticus 18:23)

Besides evidence of possible child sacrifices were found in Carthage, known to be descent of Canaanites (also worshipping Baal). This one is well documented.

It's always been the case with the Bible - people would question the Bible's historical claims , only to eat their words when archaeology shows the Bible to be true.

It was the case in the Bible's account of Cyrus conquering Babylon, until the Nabonidus Chronicle show the Bible records to be accurate.

Or the Lachish Letters , or others listed here -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artifacts_significant_to_the_Bible

Or some of the more recent ones as http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/135432#.UouXEZt3vX4

If the Bible says some of these Canaanites were deep in depravity, then they most certainly were.
thank you very much for making it more comprehensive for him.

Deuteronomy 9:4 “After the LORD your God has driven them out for you, do not say to yourselves that he brought you in to possess this land because you deserved it. No, the LORD is going to drive these people out for you because they are wicked. 5 It is not because you are good and do what is right that the LORD is letting you take their land. He will drive them out because they are wicked and because he intends to keep the promise that he made to your ancestors, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Deuteronomy 18:9-12  When you enter the land that GOD, your God, is giving you, don't take on the abominable ways of life of the nations there. Don't you dare sacrifice your son or daughter in the fire. Don't practice divination, sorcery, fortunetelling, witchery, casting spells, holding séances, or channeling with the dead. People who do these things are an abomination to GOD. It's because of just such abominable practices that GOD, your God, is driving these nations out before you.

13-14  Be completely loyal to GOD, your God. These nations that you're about to run out of the country consort with sorcerers and witches. But not you. GOD, your God, forbids it.

Leviticus 18:24-28  "Don't pollute yourself in any of these ways. This is how the nations became polluted, the ones that I am going to drive out of the land before you. Even the land itself became polluted and I punished it for its iniquities—the land vomited up its inhabitants. You must keep my decrees and laws— natives and foreigners both. You must not do any of these abhorrent things. The people who lived in this land before you arrived did all these things and polluted the land. And if you pollute it, the land will vomit you up just as it vomited up the nations that preceded you.

An excerpt, concerning the depravities of nineveh:

Evilbible.com overlooks the historical evidences that these nations and cultures practiced the very things that evilbible.com decries as morally reprehensible. As just one example, the Assyrians who inhabited Nineveh during the time of Jonah were an incredibly barbaric and cruel people. When archaeologists uncovered Nineveh, the TV specials produced from their work had to be filtered because the evidence of brutality was so great. The discoveries unearthed facts such as how the Assyrians used to slowly impale their victims by sliding them down sharp poles, and that they also made handbags from their victim’s skins. In a stone pillar found at Nineveh, one Assyrian ruler boasted of “nobles I flayed” and “three thousand captives I burned with fire. I left not one hostage alive. I cut off the hands and feet of some. I cut off the noses, ears and fingers of others. The eyes of numerous soldiers I put out. Maidens I burned as a holocaust.” Such things certainly speak against evilbible.com’s claims that the people who fell under God’s judgment were innocent. Other examples include the inhabitants of Jericho who history has shown practiced child sacrifice, cultic prostitution, and much more.

Culled from this page:

http://www.gotquestions.org/is-God-evil.html
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by plaetton: 7:04pm On Nov 19, 2013
TroGunn:

It is amazing how unabashedly you play the same slight-of-hand tricks and rehash the same lies over and over again.

First, You have not put forward your so-called archeological evidence( that you promoted) showing the depravity of Soddom and Gomorrah(have you forgotten them?)
Your other painfully ignorant comedian deceitfully referred and fast-forwarded us 3000 yrs later to the kings of Nineveh.
Now you have deceitfully skipped Sodom and Gomorrah and fast forwarded to the tribes of ancient Cannaan using the Ugarith text as your material. Fine.

Any slowpoke who claims that child sacrifice was exclusive to the tribes of ancient Canaan is either deceitful or ignorant.
Human sacrifice, child or adult is to be found in every culture since the beginning of recorded history.
The ancient Israelites, like other primitive tribes not only sacrificed their children, but were also cannibalistic.

It is all written in black and white in the bible.
Therefore, there is no primitive practice that was common among the ancient Canaanites that the ancient hebrews did not practice.
Is was just a simple latter of " my god is better than yours".

Secondly, I am glad that you tried to use the Ugarith texts to buttress your ignorance.

You know what?
Since you agree that the Ugarith text are an authentic piece of historical texts, then you are logically bound to accept other things the Ugarith texts said , Namely:

1. Yahweh, then known as El-Shadai was just a junior god in the Canaanite pantheon of gods.
2. Yahweh even had a wife, Ashera
3. Yahweh even had a son, Baal
4. Yahweh had a daughter, Lilith, the one referred to in the bible as "The Queen Of Heaven".

So there you go.
If you accept the Ugarith texts, then also , you must accept these four truths written in the Ugarith texts.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by plaetton: 7:08pm On Nov 19, 2013
^^^
And , if you crave for real knowledge about archeology, please endeavor to read real historical books, not from Apologist's site.

You cannot learn anything from people who think the way you do.

You can only learn from people who think differently than you.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Joshthefirst(m): 7:44pm On Nov 19, 2013
plaetton:

It is amazing how unabashedly you play the same slight-of-hand tricks and rehash the same lies over and over again.

First, You have not put forward your so-called archeological evidence( that you promoted) showing the depravity of Soddom and Gomorrah(have you forgotten them?)
Your other painfully ignorant comedian deceitfully referred and fast-forwarded us 3000 yrs later to the kings of Nineveh.
Now you have deceitfully skipped Sodom and Gomorrah and fast forwarded to the tribes of ancient Cannaan using the Ugarith text as your material. Fine.

Any slowpoke who claims that child sacrifice was exclusive to the tribes of ancient Canaan is either deceitful or ignorant.
Human sacrifice, child or adult is to be found in every culture since the beginning of recorded history.
The ancient Israelites, like other primitive tribes not only sacrificed their children, but were also cannibalistic.

It is all written in black and white in the bible.
Therefore, there is no primitive practice that was common among the ancient Canaanites that the ancient hebrews did not practice.

Secondly, I am glad that you tried to use the Ugarith texts to buttress your ignorance.

You know what?
Since you agree that the Ugarith text are an authentic piece of historical texts, then you are logically bound to accept other things the Ugarith texts said , Namely:

1. Yahweh, then known as El-Shadai was just a junior god in the Canaanite pantheon of gods.
4. Yahweh had a daughter, Lilith, the one referred to in the bible as "The Queen Of Heaven".

So there you go.
If you accept the Ugarith texts, then also , you must accept these four truths written in the Ugarith texts.

wow.

You truly confirm's word. You have become foolish in your thinking.

You said we should give you examples of depravities commited by the nations God sent out, we give you bibilical and extra-bibilical proof, then you begin to hammer on sodom and gomorrah. Does it not touch you that archaeology has not discovered everything yet?

Do you think the bible or God approves of everything it records?
Is that not foolish thinking?

God even promised to punish the israelites and abandon them if they commited the shameful acts of the nations that were before them. And he did if they did, as recorded in the bible.

Smh.

You should have remained silent instead of embarrasing yourself like this.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Joshthefirst(m): 7:46pm On Nov 19, 2013
By the way, the source he gave also destroyed your concept of brutalization in slavery in ancient Israel(read the deciphered text):

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/135432#.UouXEZt3vX4
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 19, 2013
plaetton:

It is all write in black and white in the bible.

You know what?
Since you agree that the Ugarith text are an authentic piece of historical texts, then you logically bound to accept other things the Ugarith texts said , Namely:

4. Yahweh had a daughter, Lilith, the referred to in the bible as "The Queen Of Heaven".

So there you go.

I wrote "nations like Sodom and Gomorrah and some of the Canaanite nations" so mentioning the finds on Ugarit (part of ancient Canaan) is not out of place. Perhaps I should have said "depravity of some of those lands" as I'm not aware of ancient Sodom and Gomorrah being found or excavated, so the unearthed depravity I wrote about was always about the Canaan lands.

If you believe the bible account on Sodom and Gomorrah, then you should also accept the narrative with Abraham that no one good was found therein.

I'm aware of the Canaanite god El with a bull depiction- obviously different from Yahweh. El is also generally accepted as a Hebrew word for god. El Shaddai is a title - largely translated Almighty God.

True, inscriptions of Yahweh and Asherah have been found. Also found are figurines of Asherah in areas occupied by Israelites, no doubt used by some Jews for fertility rites - further evidence of the effect of the idolatrous neighbouring nations on the Jews. It's why Yahweh constantly spoke of them keeping separate from the nations around them. If you read the Bible, you know of the many times Israel lapsed into worshipping Baal and other gods of their neighbours.

These finds are just further evidence of the accuracy of biblical texts on the idolatrous behaviours of the Jews under some of their rulers - and the effects of idol worship. Sadly many modern Christians do same, by incorporating pagan rites, celebrations and gods into their activities - such as Christmas/ Yuletide and others. Still many Christians reject these practices. Since these activities are extra-biblical, they can't be regarded as accurate representation of the religion.

Ugaritic texts show the practices and beliefs of these Canaanite people there at the time - I don't see how that supersedes what's in the Bible. If anything, it corroborates what the Bible says about their gods and practices.
Re: Why God Appeared Wicked In The Old But Loving In The New Testament by Joshthefirst(m): 8:05pm On Nov 19, 2013
^^^Its no use arguing with him.
I do not mean insult with this verse, but it has truly been proved today:

Proverbs 14:7 Escape quickly from the company of fools; they're a waste of your time, a waste of your words.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Are Pastors Richer Than Muslim Clerics / Green Water In Celestial Church Of Christ / Can Evolution Produce An Eye? Not A Chance!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.