Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

20 contemporary Ibibio Names And Their Meanings - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 20 contemporary Ibibio Names And Their Meanings (14571 Views)

Family Friendly Contemporary Nigerian Music ? / Is This A Blatant Housewife Oversight Or Am I Reading Meanings Into Nothing Here / Favourite Baby Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

20 contemporary Ibibio Names And Their Meanings by Willgates(m): 12:39am On Nov 16, 2013
I don't know how best to begin
this thread but I guess I'll just
begin it anyway.
But hey! before I start, some
people especially in the western
region tend to mistake Akwa Ibom
for Calabar, Ibibio for efik.(see
why history /geography is vital? ). Funny enough, they refer to every part of cross-river and Akwa-ibom state as "Calabar" lmao...
Now Akwa ibom is a state carved
out of Cross River state (Capital-
calabar) with Uyo as It's capital
and Ibibio as her major language.
Understood? Let's get down to the
biz of the night.
Below are some Ibibio names and
their meanings. I call them the 21st century names lol
(you can substitute the "obong"
for "Abasi" it'll still mean the same
thing -God)
1) Imaobong- God's love
2) Eno-obong- God's gift
3) Ndifreke-obong- I'll never
forget God
4) Uyai - beauty
5) Inemesit (Inem for short)-
Happiness
6) Idara- Joy
Edidiong- blessing
9) Idoreyin -hope.
10) Oto-obong-from God
11) Emem-obong- God's peace
12) mfon-obong- God's favor
13) Itoro-obong-God's praise
14) Ini-obong- God's time
15)ekom-obong- thank God
16) Ime -patience
17) Nfoniso- Goodluck
18) Adiaha (more like a title)- first
daughter
19)Udeme- my share
20) Idongesit-consolation

I tried! you can add the ones you want to know the meaning and I'll tell you ASAP. oya leggo!

1 Like

Re: 20 contemporary Ibibio Names And Their Meanings by Willgates(m): 12:51am On Nov 16, 2013
[/quot]
What's this foolishness? Why are you spamming my thread?

(1) (Reply)

My Uncle's Wife Younger Sister Is Acting Funny With Me! / Family Members Celebrate As Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years / Polygamy: Men: How Do You Tell Your Wife,you've Gotten A New Wife.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.