Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,799 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget (14598 Views)

The Movie The Green Eyed Is Hitting Cinema On The 6th Of Feb / My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by redcliff: 1:57pm On Nov 17, 2013
martyns303:
See player hating

Lmao! why would I do that bros? E never reach na..Even if we dey drag the same girl sef. Free abeg. looool.
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by dayleke: 1:59pm On Nov 17, 2013
Haba!!!
tatiana and chineloSA,that's enough now.
It's the OP's final call,why na?
It's Sunday o.

1 Like

Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by DisGuy: 1:59pm On Nov 17, 2013
3. Seating - this ended up being tougher than i expected. The first set i got where were made of wicker. Beautiful set (see photos)! But i ended up not going with them.... eh its hard to recline on wicker chairs...

did you guys miss this part?? Slow down people
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 17, 2013
chineloSA:
OP, sorry to criticize you. I am a fan of interior decor.

Those chairs and table is garden furniture. Its meant to be displayed outside or in your balcony overlooking the garden or whatever.

I would have adviced you to opt for bean bags and one or two lazy boys and invest your money on a bigger screen. Lazy boys are not that expensive though undecided undecided

See pics. You tried shaaa. wink wink wink wink
The OP plan is laughable though. Hahaha... I hope no Nigerian will buy into such mediocrity.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by chineloSA(f): 2:10pm On Nov 17, 2013
tatiana009:

As long as it works for him and he is happy with it he can put a couch in the kitchen sef. The important thing is that the furniture is functional in the space it is put. In a kitchen the person would have to have enough space so it isn't near the cooker where things can pour on it. There was a time when people taught that putting a tv in the kitchen was ridiculous but now so many people do so. If anything is done with flair it will even become the new trend. Personally I love the look of the cane furniture in his TV room. The only reason why most people use them outdoor is because they can withstand rain. There is no logical reason why the OP can't use them in his tv room. His house, his rules and it looks good so kudos to him.
The 1st thing a good interior decorator will tell you is to work with your personality and let the room reflect your taste. Op's chairs are classy and I like them so each to his own.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin Looks like I touched the wrong button. I am sure you have cane furniture inside your sitting room, thats why you protecting this concept. grin grin grin I know that personality determines how the room looks like, but it does not mean be deranged.

Anyways, as you said its OP's choice, he had thought of buying a recliner which is OK. But a lazy boy is better than a recliner.

OP, it looks like you are creating some kind of a man cave to me, so I still suggest two lazy boys and one small bean bag, a bigger screen. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Patio furniture looks terrible and also uncomfortable in cinema rooms. Abi, you will spend a lot of time there, so patio furniture is a NO, NO its also uncomfortable. grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by chineloSA(f): 2:11pm On Nov 17, 2013
dayleke: Haba!!!
tatiana and chineloSA,that's enough now.
It's the OP's final call,why na?
It's Sunday o.

I am not fighting at all. Instead I am laughing grin grin
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Gorrbachev: 2:12pm On Nov 17, 2013
davidylan: My best movie theater experience began with my first visit to an AMC dine-in theater in New Jersey. The only problem? I needed to drive 2-hrs to and fro to savor the experience. Rather than continue to burn the extra gas, i happened on a far better idea... why not turn the empty basement (packed full of useless boxes anyway and starting to gather dust and bugs) into my own movie theater? The benefits - i get to watch what i want, when i want, with who i want... i get to sit in my own rocking recliner chair. It costs $0 in gas costs, i can pause, rewind, increase the volume, play on my computer or even cook as i watch. The only problem - home theater equipment (at least for the newbie - like i was) can cost you a fortune.

In the subsequent posts, i intend to chronicle my journey from complete newbie to a fairly informed home theater enthusiast. enjoy.

Get a good projector.
Nice surround speaker/sub-woofer.
Large recliner chair or sofa.
Clean the basement and here you are.
Get your PS4 or Xbox 1.
You can do all these under $5k. grin grin grin
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by chineloSA(f): 2:13pm On Nov 17, 2013
all4naija: The OP plan is laughable though. Hahaha... I hope no Nigerian will buy into such mediocrity.

Thank you.

grin grin grin grin grin grin yes, he tried sha. He really tried.
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 2:15pm On Nov 17, 2013
chineloSA:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin Looks like I touched the wrong button. I am sure you have cane furniture inside your sitting room, thats why you protecting this concept. grin grin grin I know that personality determines how the room looks like, but it does not mean be deranged.

Anyways, as you said its OP's choice, he had thought of buying a recliner which is OK. But a lazy boy is better than a recliner.

OP, it looks like you are creating some kind of a man cave to me, so I still suggest two lazy boys and one small bean bag, a bigger screen. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Patio furniture looks terrible and also uncomfortable in cinema rooms. Abi, you will spend a lot of time there, so patio furniture is a NO, NO its also uncomfortable. grin grin grin grin grin

No darling, I don't have cane furniture in my living room and you really should stop jumping to conclusions. All in all,this has become terribly boring so let's just move on after all he didn't employ either of us as his decorator and he loves his space. It really isn't that serious, it is just furniture undecided. back to the topic OP I love your TV room, do enjoy it.
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by BlackBaron: 2:44pm On Nov 17, 2013
Nice. Bowers and Wilkins are certainly top range. Quite common to mix up varities.

Other good cheap mid range home cinema systems includes Tannoy 5.1, Yamaha and Onyko.

You can check out with mood control lightings, ambient backlights, projectors and soundproofing walls if they are your taste.
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 3:12pm On Nov 17, 2013
Nice one OP,
My two cent

Change the chairs to something more comfortable. You need to relax with your snacks, open your legs wide while watching some good movies.

Get a bigger screen.
Change the wall color.

He rug I ok. Overall. I'm sure you are enjoying your mini theatre
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by babseg(m): 3:30pm On Nov 17, 2013
Op u dey lie too much. Its either that's not the room u r talking about or u don't know what a recliner is.

Because I no see any recliner for your pictures.
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Ninilowo(m): 3:49pm On Nov 17, 2013
If I say whatz on my mind eh?......*looks left n rite b4 my shirt is gripped n run out of thread* grin
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by sonety2k(m): 5:30pm On Nov 17, 2013
cool
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by DecemberIV: 5:39pm On Nov 17, 2013
Why do you guys hate sensible topics like this one and crave rubbish? Why can't you even hide your jealousy? Rubbish angry
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by MightyFortress: 8:12pm On Nov 17, 2013
I love that red sofa!
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 17, 2013
GeneralJ: No offense ohh, but this ain't no cinema or theater, in my books, a theater would have a large widescreen not a 60 inch t.v. i 'm talking large wide screen with projector, you also need soundproof walls, or materials to put around the worlds to sound proof it. Also, the theater should have sort of a darkish color to enhance the lightnening of the t.v., not total black ohh, but sort of a brownish dark. matter of fact you could install sound proofing material on all walls but one, then focus the projector on the unpainted wall, to serve as a widescreen.
Nevertheless, i gbadun your surround system ohhh, for three hundred dollars that looks like a steal my brother, i hope it works as good as it looks. Also since its 21st century, try and get HD system or even 3d system ehnn..pray that God should hook you up.

No offense but you sound like a novice. You can quibble on screen size but that isnt the ultimate determinant of what a home theater should be. Screen sizes typically vary from 50 inches to larger than 125 inches. Depends on your room size, needs and budget. Looking to expand to a 92 in black diamond and epson cinema projector next fall. For now, this will do for a start.

2. You dont need soundproof walls... unless you are building a commercial studio or cinema. For a home theater, acoustic panels, bass traps and diffusers will do. these deaden your room and improve your speaker sounds.

3. You only needed to darken your room if you are using a very poor projector screen and a projector with low brightness. That requirement is so yesterday based on how advanced home theater equipment has become. I use an LED currently that does not require you to darken the room to improve resolution. A good black diamond screen can be used in a room with full sunlight.

4. Not sure what you meant by praying God should hook me up to an HD system or 3D system. But i own an NAD reciever and bluray player that have excellent 3D support. You should not speak before you understand issues.
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 17, 2013
chineloSA:
OP, sorry to criticize you. I am a fan of interior decor.

Those chairs and table is garden furniture. Its meant to be displayed outside or in your balcony overlooking the garden or whatever.

I would have adviced you to opt for bean bags and one or two lazy boys and invest your money on a bigger screen. Lazy boys are not that expensive though undecided undecided

See pics. You tried shaaa. wink wink wink wink

lol agreed. The gf said the same thing and i had to swap them out for raymour and flanigan recliners. Much more expensive than i really wanted but they work.

Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 17, 2013
Yomieluv: home theatre doesn't cost much, except you want to go for the very expensive ones. my sitting room is a mini theatre, and it doesn't cost me a fortune to do it.will upload later, when I get home.

Please do. Will be nice to see what others have done as well.
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 17, 2013
Undabridge: Are you insulting our intelligence by calling dis mini sitting room a cinema room wit dis 32inches LCD,Damn I can see some black american's don't like to spend dis money.Pls come to lekki in lagos and see mad cinema room in dere home or mansion.This looks like d LG LED Screen I used and I can tell it's not compare to get a bigger screen tv for cinemas.

Its a start. Rome wasnt built in a day.

1 Like

Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 17, 2013
all4naija: The OP plan is laughable though. Hahaha... I hope no Nigerian will buy into such mediocrity.

Thank you.

feel free to post yours bro.
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by chineloSA(f): 9:40pm On Nov 17, 2013
davidylan:

lol agreed. The gf said the same thing and i had to swap them out for raymour and flanigan recliners. Much more expensive than i really wanted but they work.

I am glad she was there to work with you and be honestly blunt. It now looks like a man cave at the same time friendly for woman wink wink wink wink wink
Tell her she is the best. kiss kiss kiss Now you can slowly accessorize with ( scatter cushions, ornaments, cars, pictures, throws etc ) depending on your personality or whether it was meant to be a man cave or a shared Cinema room. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Looks awesome. wink wink wink

Don't mind these Village interior designers encouraging you to use Patio furniture for house/ man cave. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 9:42pm On Nov 17, 2013
BlackBaron: Nice. Bowers and Wilkins are certainly top range. Quite common to mix up varities.

Other good cheap mid range home cinema systems includes Tannoy 5.1, Yamaha and Onyko.

You can check out with mood control lightings, ambient backlights, projectors and soundproofing walls if they are your taste.

Thanks bro. I love the B&Ws but ultimately i am in the market to replace them with paradigm signature S8s, a signature C5 and signature S2s for surrounds. I am picking up the set below in january. Far better sound. The Tannoy 5.1s, yamaha's and Onkyos are terrible. $500 speakers sound like $500 speakers. A good starter home theater would be something in the range of the PSB T series, B&W 6 series, paradigm studios, revels etc. These are cheap too but have superb midranges. The only compromise is in the lower ranges but you can always overcome that by buying a good sub.

Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 17, 2013
chineloSA:

I am glad she was there to work with you and be honestly blunt. It now looks like a man cave at the same time friendly for woman wink wink wink wink wink
Tell her she is the best. kiss kiss kiss Now you can slowly accessorize with ( scatter cushions, ornaments, cars, pictures, throws etc ) depending on your personality or whether it was meant to be a man cave or a shared Cinema room. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Looks awesome. wink wink wink

Don't mind these Village interior designers encouraging you to use Patio furniture for house/ man cave. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

lol thanks. I honestly couldnt care about what seats i used (i'm more an electronics dude)... but she was not going to use the room as long as the rattan chairs were in there.
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 17, 2013
Chillisauce: Nice one OP,
My two cent

Change the chairs to something more comfortable. You need to relax with your snacks, open your legs wide while watching some good movies.

Get a bigger screen.
Change the wall color.

He rug I ok. Overall. I'm sure you are enjoying your mini theatre

Bigger screen will have to wait till next year. It will set me back a lot more than i am willing to spend right now. I love my wall colors, they will never change. By the way, why does everyone think white does not work in a home theater?
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 9:57pm On Nov 17, 2013
davidylan:

feel free to post yours bro.
Lol, bro. Is that a self-consolation? We are here to criticize for the good of all. Nigerians need to start aiming for high standard. I hope you will agree with me while looking at what are already on ground all over the country.
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 9:59pm On Nov 17, 2013
Changing the seats worked a treat to be honest. the other things i added include wall panels (to improve the sound) and blue strip lights to recreate the cinema effect. The room with lights on -

3 Likes

Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 17, 2013
all4naija: Lol, bro. Is that a self-consolation? We are here to criticize for the good of all. Nigerians need to start aiming for high standard. I hope you will agree with me while looking at what are already on ground all over the country.

Like i said... Rome wasnt built in a day. I do what i can and like bro.
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 17, 2013
davidylan:

Like i said... Rome wasnt built in a day. I do what i can and like bro.
You would have to change the screen in the nearest future. There are better fairly used wider 3d/led screens on ebay at reasonable prices.
Re: Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 17, 2013
all4naija: You would have to change the screen in the nearest future. There are better fairly used wider 3d/led screens on ebay at reasonable prices.

You must not be reading the posts. Let me repeat for the 3rd time - i will be swapping the LED screen for a black diamond 92 in projector screen next fall. Rome wasnt built in one day.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gulder Ultimate Search 2: meet the contestants! / Who Is The Funniest Nigerian Comedian / Top 5 African Tv Reality Shows For Entrepreneurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.