Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

Rich Internet Applications - What Do They Mean? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Rich Internet Applications - What Do They Mean? (1672 Views)

I Want To Develop Mobile Applications / Testing Programmers: Puzzles Or Web Applications? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rich Internet Applications - What Do They Mean? by javalove(m): 1:53pm On Jul 17, 2008
I have never been confused as a programmer. What really is the meaning of Rich Internet Applications? Did Macromedia just cook up this word to support Flash marketability or what? Does it mean an application running in the browser to make full use of the internet ot it means a desktop app that also makes full use of the net?

I'm currently developng a desktop appliation for my team (Bolton Wanderers, sorry i m a bolton fan) for fans al over the world to use, and of course it would make use of the net, would it be called an RIA too or would iTunes be called an RIA too?

iIn programmings, acronyms cud sometimes be confusing cheesy
Re: Rich Internet Applications - What Do They Mean? by A40(m): 5:11pm On Jul 17, 2008
They probably mean it is heavy on functions but if you ask me its just a cliche
Re: Rich Internet Applications - What Do They Mean? by javalove(m): 2:58pm On Jul 18, 2008
den i i think applets were d first RIA then
Re: Rich Internet Applications - What Do They Mean? by A40(m): 3:52pm On Jul 18, 2008
Yeah but i guess as time went on and demands increased the applets where not able to handle the applications that where required
Re: Rich Internet Applications - What Do They Mean? by alexis(m): 5:27pm On Jul 18, 2008
I think they are trying to create something similar to the JVM. You can write an app and run it as a web app and as a desktop app.
Re: Rich Internet Applications - What Do They Mean? by logica(m): 6:01pm On Jul 18, 2008
RIA refers to web applications based on new paradigms like Web 2.0 which of course are heavily based on AJAX. I think you should find a better definition on wikipedia. Use google smiley
Re: Rich Internet Applications - What Do They Mean? by malone5923(m): 8:43pm On Jul 18, 2008
I have never been confused as a programmer. What really is the meaning of Rich Internet Applications? Did Macromedia just cook up this word to support Flash marketability or what? Does it mean an application running in the browser to make full use of the internet ot it means a desktop app that also makes full use of the net?

I'm currently developng a desktop appliation for my team (Bolton Wanderers, sorry i m a bolton fan) for fans al over the world to use, and of course it would make use of the net, would it be called an RIA too or would iTunes be called an RIA too?

iIn programmings, acronyms cud sometimes be confusing
I think its means using the full features of web 2.0 and web 3.0 and making your web application looklike and uses all the api that were primarily developed for desktop application(thats what I think).
Re: Rich Internet Applications - What Do They Mean? by javalove(m): 12:09pm On Jul 19, 2008
logica:

RIA refers to web applications based on new paradigms like Web 2.0 which of course are heavily based on AJAX. I think you should find a better definition on wikipedia. Use google smiley

AJAX only? what of FLEX? Isnt a flex app an RIA too?

Lets do it like this. What is

Rich:
Internet:
Application:
Re: Rich Internet Applications - What Do They Mean? by logica(m): 2:10pm On Jul 19, 2008
FLEX is based on a technology similar 2 AJAX. they both involve manipulation of the DOM @ the low level, only that FLEX uses ActionScript while AJAX of course uses Javascript. No need for a long essay though, I said RIA => Web 2.0 paradigm which is all you need to know.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Do My Analysis And Design? / A Seemingly Simple Logic That Took Me 3 Evening To Code / My New Year Gift For Nairalanders, 700 IT books pdf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.