Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,297 members, 7,839,466 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN (30845 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 4:10pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast: getting grumpy....bad sportmanship
Nah. I'm just exhausted. I've run out of ways to explain the same thing!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Ghyft(f): 4:11pm On Nov 30, 2013
Wow......this is more than interesting....the contest was so cool....but there must be a winner.....#teamUNIBEN..we rock
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Obinoscopy(m): 4:12pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner, your initial presentation was very poor and scanty. You however made amends in your rebuttals. In fact most of your marks came from your rebuttals and your responses to rebuttals. The reverse would be the case for The Last Nazgûl who did better in his original piece than his rebuttals. You guys used half of your presentation on definitions instead of concentrating more on the debate itself. However I am happy with the references you included, it goes to show you acknowledged the materials you sourced during your preparation for this debate.

On the overall, I say kudos to you all. You all did great. You are all winners!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 30, 2013
Obinoscopy: I-am-Winner, your initial presentation was very poor and scanty. You however made amends in your rebuttals. In fact most of your marks came from your rebuttals and your responses to rebuttals. The reverse would be the case for The Last Nazgûl who did better in his original piece than his rebuttals. You guys used half of your presentation on definitions instead of concentrating more on the debate itself. However I am happy with the references you included, it goes to show you acknowledged the materials you sourced during your preparation for this debate.

Thank You Sir! Wil work on that next tym.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Incredyable(m): 4:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
greatest uniben students!!!!!!!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Ghyft(f): 4:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
No offence intended,
Obinoscopy: I-am-Winner, your initial presentation was very poor and scanty. You however made amends in your rebuttals. In fact most of your marks came from your rebuttals and your responses to rebuttals. The reverse would be the case for The Last Nazgûl who did better in his original piece than his rebuttals. You guys used half of your presentation on definitions instead of concentrating more on the debate itself. However I am happy with the references you included, it goes to show you acknowledged the materials you sourced during your preparation for this debate.

are u a co-ordinator, or just a spectator like myself?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 4:16pm On Nov 30, 2013

Thanks. Faults acknowledged.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 30, 2013
O.M.G Thank You Jesus for this Victory.
To my teammate the last nazgul. Kudos!
To my opponents, it was nice competing with you guys!!.
To the Judges and coordinators.. Thank You all!

TEAM UNIBEN!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by getrichfast: 4:19pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:
O.M.G Thank You Jesus for this Victory.
To my teammate the last nazgul. Kudos!
To my opponents, it was nice competing with you guys!!.
To the Judges and coordinators.. Thank You all!

TEAM UNIBEN!
it was nice competing with you too, i must say i learnt alot. Kudos to you both
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Obinoscopy(m): 4:20pm On Nov 30, 2013
Ghyft: No offence intended,are u a co-ordinator, or just a spectator like myself?
I'm not a cooordinator, I'm also a spectator like you. However I had the privilege of scoring the contestants as well.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 4:21pm On Nov 30, 2013
The contest was keenly contested.Cheers to Uniben and NDU you both tried.....Uniben are the winners but NDU reps gave them a good fight.. .u guys shoul be proud of yourselfs. looking forward to seeing u guys in the later stages of this competition
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by JudeP(m): 4:25pm On Nov 30, 2013
NDU reps should keep in mind that after each essay you should include your refrence at the bottom.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 4:32pm On Nov 30, 2013
getrichfast: it was nice competing with you too, i must say i learnt alot. Kudos to you both
Same here.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 30, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: Same here.
bro hafana! U rock oh!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 30, 2013
Ghyft: Wow......this is more than interesting....the contest was so cool....but there must be a winner.....#teamUNIBEN..we rock

Both teams won undecided undecided grin grin
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Miscellaneous(m): 5:09pm On Nov 30, 2013
Obinoscopy: I'm not a cooordinator, I'm also a spectator like you. However I had the privilege of scoring the contestants as well.

i love this guy
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Ghyft(f): 5:31pm On Nov 30, 2013
Emzybrown:

Both teams won
i am entitled to my opinion right?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Zellie: 5:46pm On Nov 30, 2013
Emzybrown: Both teams won undecided undecided grin grin
No dear, UNIBEN won. It wasn't a draw was it?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by TheLastNazgul(m): 5:57pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:
bro hafana! U rock oh!
Lol. You did great. Thumbs up.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 30, 2013
Ghyft: i am entitled to my opinion right?
sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by MrRomantic1(m): 6:10pm On Nov 30, 2013

Very impressive!
Fabulous!
Educative!
Enlightening
and
informative!
I really learnt alot and enjoyed mysef!
Kudos to both teams!

#
Great Unibenites! We Rock!
Thumbs up!
#peace

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by planetuzor(m): 9:10pm On Nov 30, 2013
I really don't knw why dis debate thing doesn't interest me....its like a waste of MB..

But wait oooo

Is there a prize for whoever won, that could motivate me, otherwise who am I trying to impress. grin grin

Pls don't quote me oo, let the matter die like that atleast its not wrong for one to say his Mind. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 8:53am On Dec 01, 2013
Lol ....nice debate, ...but i must say, ...the topic waz a tad harder 4 NDU ......
Its just like saying we shld throw away our fones and computers, ..and continue the debate using bonfires .......funny huh? ..
Congrats anyway .....UNIBEN
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 01, 2013
wisemania:
good afternoon all...
As regards the text in bold,i'd love you to enlighten my ignorance on the issue of divorce.
Because from you post,you sounded so sure that there wasn't any case whatsoever of divorce in the old days, despite the fact that in some cultures women were being sent away from their matrimonial homes due to reasons best known to their husbands(or isnt that a case of divorce?) or are you implying that dovorce is only seen from a court of law perspective?
2. I'll also like you to shed more light on how "westernization brought about an increase in the rate of divorce"...thank you.
firstly we'll know divorce was not very common in the past our grand parents had many wives but they always lived together. Presently now if a man decides to marry another wife, the wife he has before would decide to divorce him because of monogamy. It's no news that the united states has the highest rate of divorce worldwide and there's no doubt that their culture has an effect on that. The presence of their culture in Nigeria is also responsible for the increase in the number of divorces.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 01, 2013
uj_sizzle:
You are of the opinion that the presence of the caste system is a feature of Western Civilisation.
Are you aware that this system have been in existence in the Igbo land way before the Westerners? And even worse was that they(osu of the lower caste) weren't allowed to interact fullu with the upper caste?
All of which have been laid aside with the emergence of fundamental human rights brought about by Westernization to ensure a level of equality?
i'm not saying it never happened before now, what i'm saying is that it has become worse because of the presence of westernization, before the europeans came we sold slaves but very few persons were sold, the europeans turned selling of humans into a business. Even today many people are still in slavery, many Nigerians are in european countries, into prostitution and drug selling. Most of them were forced into the act, others went into it willingly because of the high demands of the present day society, which is not unrelated to westernization.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 01, 2013
uj_sizzle:
You are of the opinion that the presence of the caste system is a feature of Western Civilisation.
Are you aware that this system have been in existence in the Igbo land way before the Westerners? And even worse was that they(osu of the lower caste) weren't allowed to interact fullu with the upper caste?
All of which have been laid aside with the emergence of fundamental human rights brought about by Westernization to ensure a level of equality?
i'm not saying it never happened before now, what i'm saying is that it has become worse because of the presence of westernization, before the europeans came we sold slaves but very few persons were sold, the europeans turned selling of humans into a business. Even today many people are still in slavery, many Nigerians are in european countries, into prostitution and drug selling. Most of them were forced into the act, others went into it willingly because of the high demands of the present day society, which is not unrelated to westernization.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 1:33pm On Dec 01, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
@Elliotwiz/Getrichfast, Majority of your team's arguments centred on Indecency and Moral decline, meaning that's the biggest impact Westernization had in Nigeria. But is it fair enough to place the bulk of the blame on Westernization, thus, undermining the role of a parent in bringing up a child properly?
our parents live in a society affected by western ideas, they're unable to bring up their children properly because of westernization. Anyway you want to look at it, westernization has done more harm than good. E.g their system of agriculture is large scale and requires much land. That results in the destruction of farmlands. The farmers may be given cash money to live off their farmland, but the next generation won't have something to live on, most of them would become homeless and frustrated and turn into criminals. This is one of the reason crime rate is increasing in our society today. Another thing is that the destruction of large pieces of land for farming causes a change in the temperature of the globe, global warming. It causes more natural disasters to occur and directly destroying human lives, if a culture is not human friendly then why should we accept it? Only those living big benefit from it. Looking back at the non-moral effect, language, people no longer speak our indigenous languages because they believe it's old fashioned to do so. Can a culture exist without a language? Hell no! westernization is destroying our culture.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 1:38pm On Dec 01, 2013
I-am-Winner:
how was the igbo culture equal to that of the hausa's or the yoruba's??
must i tell you that the yoruba's have king makers? Is that not power to the people?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 1:43pm On Dec 01, 2013
The Last Nazgûl: I don't intend to attack you so ferociously but you have failed to state how exactly these Messiahs in the form of extended family members have curbed divorce given that divorce is not a nascent development in cultural circles as a study of Nigeria's customary law provides ample evidence of the option of a divorce in a dysfunctuonal marriage
go and read the post again.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 1:46pm On Dec 01, 2013
I-am-Winner:
Lets get it right friends (getrichfast and eliotwizi)..
Rather than western civilization being the cause of several harms in our society, It is we that are responsible for the harms because we have failed to understand the importance of our own culture and also accepted the negative aspects of western civilization.. Thefore instead of saying that Westrn culture ruins our society. It will be appropriate if we guide ourselves with what to choose and what to discard from the Western culture.
if you don't see a seller will you ever think of buying something? If you've never watched a football match can you ever love the sport? Hell no! If there was no westernization the changes we see would not have occured.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 01, 2013
Obinoscopy: I want to say a big thank you to all the participants today. You all did great! I certainly learnt a lot from you guys. Weldone!

Getrichfast, your presentation was okay. Your statistics were apt and informative. You also tried in your response to rebuttals, however you failed to address some salient holes that were punctured by your opponents in their rebuttals. Most importantly was whether the etighi dances and the likes were actually a product of western culture or not.

Elliotwitz, for me, your presentation was the best among the four participants. Your initial piece did all the work for you that I found it hard to find any fault. I also think there weren't much rebuttals on your end because your opponents couldn't find much fault as well this resultant made you e not actively involved in the rebuttal stage. I however felt you should have attacked your opponents points more aggressively even if they didn't attack yours.
i would have gladly done that if i was with a phone i can type with. sad
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN by Zellie: 3:00am On Dec 02, 2013
Medicine after Death

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) / Jambites (must Read)- Number Of Candidates For You Course. / ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.